[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

On 8/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, baldamundo said:

Have tested running the same vessel and it can't be a hard drive space issue (unless that's not working in background simulation) - going at high timewarp, it never even used up 5% of its disk space. And running it at high timewarp, the experiments run and transmit just fine (there seems to be a bit of instability with energy production, but once it interrupts timewarp it recharges quickly enough not to interrupt the experiments).

Incidentally, running that craft at high time warp I just had the game freeze for fully five minutes with a whole bunch of Kerbalism/RemoteTech related logspam:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 20:15:00.244] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.245] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.246] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.248] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[EXC 20:15:00.248] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value)
	KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()
[LOG 20:15:00.876] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.459] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.802] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.902] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Remove TRANSMITTER success.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the problem is not to do with background simulation, it's that the transmission rate sometimes just completely collapses, and it seems to be totally unrelated to the antennas used, relays, etc. Seems completely random.

That's interesting. It's certainly related to background simulation failing for some reason. 

There's a lot of moving parts here, and it's likely difficult to nail down what exactly is going on, but the test is fairly straightforward. 

Can you tell something on how engine reliability and ignitions will work? Will engines now have a limited number of ignitions like in Real Fuels or will the number  be unlimited and the only limiting factor will be failure probability reaching 100% at some point (unless engine explodes earlier)?

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

1 hour ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Can you tell something on how engine reliability and ignitions will work? Will engines now have a limited number of ignitions like in Real Fuels or will the number  be unlimited and the only limiting factor will be failure probability reaching 100% at some point (unless engine explodes earlier)?

Most engines have a limited number of ignitions, that means that you can turn them on (by throttling up) and off only so many times. You might be lucky and get more than the advertised ignitions, but at the very real risk of possibly permanent engine damage, or a RUD event. Regardless of how many ignitions are left on an engine, there is the slim chance that any ignition will go wrong and damage the engine.

For these reasons it is highly advisable to think about launch abort systems that will rescue your crew if anything should go wrong during liftoff!

Since a running engine imposes immense loads on the engine itself, it won't keep burning forever. Many engines have a limited rated burn duration, which is no guarantee that it actually will last that long (but odds are they do). Once an engine reaches its operational limits, chances of permanent engine damage or engine loss rise exponentially.

Good news is that Kerbals (on EVA) can inspect and repair engines, which restores the available ignitions and burn duration - at least to a degree.

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Reliability#engines

Edited by Sir Mortimer

10 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Most engines have a limited number of ignitions, that means that you can turn them on (by throttling up) and off only so many times. You might be lucky and get more than the advertised ignitions, but at the very real risk of possibly permanent engine damage, or a RUD event. Regardless of how many ignitions are left on an engine, there is the slim chance that any ignition will go wrong and damage the engine.

Hmmm, so I'm already thinking how to keep these new features (which I love) together with Real Fuels. I dunno if you know this mod but it implements a finite number of ignitions based on the engine type and fuels used. So your basic kerolox booster gets only 1 ignition and that's it, or maybe 2 when it's configured to run on hypergols (if this is an option at all). Will this conflict with Kerbalism or is your number of rated ignitions a little bit different mechanism that will care very little about restrictions put by RF?

For example what would possibly happen if this LV-T05 "Cogswell" was configured to have 1 ignition only in RF, while being rated for 17 ignitions by Kerbalism? Are these 17 ignitions set only for engine failure probability calculations or would Kerbalism try to override RF and force actual 17 ignitions in this engine?  

2 hours ago, ecaheti said:

Would this mean that i'll be able to get rid of the mod "Oh Scrap" ? (yes, I play with Kerbalism, Oh Scrap, and Kerbal Construction Time, and I like pain)

Depends. I think Oh Scrap does it better, because it's dedicated to failures, but the option is there. Reliability can easily be turned off in Kerbalism :)

42 minutes ago, Tricky14 said:

I really love the different biome related science messages you get in Crowd Sourced Science. Give the game flavour. Is there a way to make that work with this mod?

They do: 1:05 in the video.

2 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Hmmm, so I'm already thinking how to keep these new features (which I love) together with Real Fuels. I dunno if you know this mod but it implements a finite number of ignitions based on the engine type and fuels used. So your basic kerolox booster gets only 1 ignition and that's it, or maybe 2 when it's configured to run on hypergols (if this is an option at all). Will this conflict with Kerbalism or is your number of rated ignitions a little bit different mechanism that will care very little about restrictions put by RF?

For example what would possibly happen if this LV-T05 "Cogswell" was configured to have 1 ignition only in RF, while being rated for 17 ignitions by Kerbalism? Are these 17 ignitions set only for engine failure probability calculations or would Kerbalism try to override RF and force actual 17 ignitions in this engine?  

The Kerbalism configs remove limited ignitions + durations from engines if RealFuels or EngineIgnitor is installed. There is no point in having two different mods doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, Sir Mortimer said:

The Kerbalism configs remove limited ignitions + durations from engines if RealFuels or EngineIgnitor is installed. There is no point in having two different mods doing the same thing.

That's my point - they seem to do it differently and, if it will work the way I think it will, both mods may actually complement each other. I hope it will be easy to enable limited ignitions + durations with RF installed. I definitely would like to give it a try. 

2 hours ago, Tricky14 said:

Thank you! I downloaded it from CKan, hasn't been updated yet. Will that take long?

If you can't wait and can live with the occasional oddity or bug here and there, you can try the latest dev version. They're currently updated every other day or so, so check back to remain current. In fact, I'd be happy if you did and report any bugs or issues you find on github (here) or discord.

@Sir Mortimer, I have a question. How exactly do science data transfer rates work in Kerbalism with RemoteTech? With stock KSP comms, I understand the transmission speed is directly linked to the signal strength. But RemoteTech completely overhauls this. And yet, some transmissions are extremely slow. For example, my probe above Moho, with HG-55 dish, connecting to a relay above Kerbin (which also has HG-55), tells me it will take 108 years to transmit a 12 Mb science package. Which doesn't make any sense, because according to RemoteTech documentation, this connection setup should be more than enough. So why are my data rates so slow?

EDIT: when I open the in-flight Kerbalism window, and hover over the wifi-like icon above the Moho probe, it says DSN Connected: Yes, Science rate: 1 b/s, Strength: 0.01%.

Edited by aluc24

I sent a rover to minmus with one of the scanning arms in breaking ground and upon trying to scan a green sandstone I got a msg saying need more hard drive space. Ive tried it with other surface features and neither keeping or transmitting the data work. I got the rover up to 50 something sample storage and that didnt work either. I dont have parts with big hard drive space yet space either. (largest is 6mb being the basic rover body I believe) I tried adding a few and making them really tiny with the tweakscale mod with no success. 

Any help?

6 hours ago, cactuscrazez said:

I sent a rover to minmus with one of the scanning arms in breaking ground and upon trying to scan a green sandstone I got a msg saying need more hard drive space. Ive tried it with other surface features and neither keeping or transmitting the data work. I got the rover up to 50 something sample storage and that didnt work either. I dont have parts with big hard drive space yet space either. (largest is 6mb being the basic rover body I believe) I tried adding a few and making them really tiny with the tweakscale mod with no success. 

Any help?

Have you tried a Dev branch as mentioned a few post back? The current release 3.0.2 was made before breaking ground came out.

Edited by mindstalker

11 hours ago, mindstalker said:

Have you tried a Dev branch as mentioned a few post back? The current release 3.0.2 was made before breaking ground came out.

Not yet im worried it might break my save or be too unstable. If I decide to try it anyway would I install it like any other mod and just put it in GameData?

22 hours ago, cactuscrazez said:

Not yet im worried it might break my save or be too unstable. If I decide to try it anyway would I install it like any other mod and just put it in GameData?

Yeah just remove the current kerbalism and kerbalismconfig folders and replace with the ones in the compiled download. I haven't seen any bugs. There are some new features that aren't fully fleshed out though