[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

On 6/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, lordcirth said:

Exactly, yes.  That whole tab goes blank if you don't have a connection.  Once you do, however, there's lots of handy options.

... which is fine unless you want to mute warnings about out-of-comms from a probe or vessel that is currently out-of-comms :(

On 6/23/2018 at 4:05 AM, lordcirth said:

Radiation protection is averaged across all enabled habitat's surface area.  Check the planner under Radiation to see what your effective shielding is.  0% is 0mm and 100% is 20mm Pb.  You will want 100% for interplanetary.

Yeah, this confused me too. Also that it's unclear what the bounds of needed shielding are in the UI (but hey, space exploration isn't an exact science sometimes right?)

It gets a bit weird when you can have one unpressurised capsule with scrubbers, and one pressurised capsule with no scrubbers. But I just figure the kerbals have done some creative cross-wiring.

Anyway, @N70 thanks for the fantastic mod or continuation of it :) 

Edited by ringerc

8 hours ago, PiezPiedPy said:

@tarkhil The Greenhouse is intended to support 0.5 Kerbal based on design targets from the Prototype Lunar Greenhouse  https://www.ag.arizona.edu/lunargreenhouse/MidReviews.html so you will need 2 Greenhouses per Kerbal for them to survive 210 days, each harvest is every 200 days. Also remember to have Food for the 200 days before harvest, approx.1325 units per Kerbal.

When was this changed?  Last I checked one greenhouse could handle 2 Kerbals.

@lordcirth v1.6.0 ;)

14 hours ago, ringerc said:

It gets a bit weird when you can have one unpressurised capsule with scrubbers, and one pressurised capsule with no scrubbers. But I just figure the kerbals have done some creative cross-wiring.

Kerbal's these days are quite handy with a spanner and some pipes :ph34r:

@N70 could you inform me a bit about Kerbalisms current interaction with SSPRX's greenhouses and aquaculture modules? As in, does it take 1 or 2 to feed a kerbal? Does the current kerbalism structure allow the creation of self sufficient bases more easily or is it still a no no?

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

What's humidity and how does it work?

It is a little like CO2,but with MoistAtmosphere rather than WasteAtmospehere, but MoistAtmospshere I don't think has a correlation to Atmosphere at all.

Kerbals generate MoistAtmosphere simply by being on the vessel.  Once it reaches 95% and 99% and 100% the kerbals will die because the water pools on the electric circuit boards and switches.  You can 'scrub' the moisture, which then generates a small amount of water too.  This collected water is balanced to water consumed and wastewater out by kerbals and their drinking (not all water becomes waster water).

I believe you can  get rid of it by venting atmosphere?  But I'm not sure.

Is Kerbalism re-reading its configuration files after launch? I have a modulemanager patch to change the fuel cell process to be a little more in-line with real-world H2-O2 fuel cells and although MM is applying it (I've done a dump to check) it only gets applied if I go in and directly edit the default profile. If that's the case, why are you letting this file get loaded at all during startup? Might as well improve load times, even if only by a few milliseconds (especially since it has MM patches in it, so it has to be run over multiple times).

Hey folks, I've searched around but have found limited mention of the reaction between Kerbalism and [x] Science. I'm pretty sure [x] science is no longer showing me the correct information.

I love Kerbalism though. So could someone point me in the right direction to disable Kerbalism's science system? In which .cfg file and which line do I change?

Or is there something further I should know about the Kerbalism/[x]Science problem?

@PataSolar good question.

@PiezPiedPy When a Kerbal is short before dying of co² poisoning, how to vent? Habitat cannot be disabled when vessel is crewed.
Going EVA does not work, too:

1. the co² level is even higher in the suit
  2. from  outside it's impossible to disable habitat or vent
Edited by Gordon Dry

inuxgurugamer maintains a mod called SmartParts.  https://spacedock.info/mod/614/SmartParts

It contains a vent part that dumps any resource contained in the part it is attached.
If attached to a command pod using Kerbalism it will dump any resource not turned off and also humidity and cabin pressure.  While the vent produces thrust that seems to have a problem in game (placing vents to offset each others thrust still seems to cause a rotation on an axis) if the part could be modified to not vent cabin pressure then its construction could offer an approach to make a Kerbalism vent.

@jpkerman perhaps the RCSBuildAid mod could be used, just place some dummy RCS thrusters (disable all other ones before) until it's all balanced out and then try to place the vents exactly on the same spots after removing the dummy RCS thrusters?

But I don't know which kind of balancing this should be tbh...

Perhaps radially around the CoM?

Edit;

In which direction goes the venting?

Edited by Gordon Dry

In which direction goes the venting?

There are two vents, in the modelling one appears to be 45 degrees and the other appears to be 90.  In the config it is merely direction 1 and direction 0

It seems that rotating the vents in the VAB it seems as if the vent direction does not change despite the animation.  I had thought the config module could be added to the command pods to supply a venting ability but the ability to select humidity or cabin pressure would need to be added but i believe that would would be inside the module and LinuxGG would probably need to give his blessing.  I just thought with the discussion on venting the humidity the knowledge that a part has a venting ability could offer a solution.  The only other way I can imagine if a humidity tank was created and the resource transfer system would let you transfer excess humidity from the command pod to the tank.

Edited by jpkerman

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@PiezPiedPy When a Kerbal is short before dying of co² poisoning, how to vent? Habitat cannot be disabled when vessel is crewed.

Going EVA does not work, too:

1. the co² level is even higher in the suit
  2. from  outside it's impossible to disable habitat or vent

A Kerbal suit when put on will contain the CO2 already in the pod, it does not magically scrub the CO2 instantly.

Venting a crewed habitat is not possible because you will kill the crew as they have no suits on.

Maybe I can add a button to the pod tooltip to enable venting from the exterior of the pod but you will still have to wait for pressurization or your Kerbal will die if you enter the pod with no atmosphere.

There is no possible way to vent a crewed habitat by assuming they have there helmet on as it will break the rule for breathing and the scrubbers, the scrubbers for Habitat and EVA are two separate processes tied to the parts, It would take quite a bit of work to Kerbalism mechanics to get around this problem.

Do you people not know how to manage your vessel habitation requirements :sticktongue:

Edited by PiezPiedPy

3 hours ago, PiezPiedPy said:

Do you people not know how to manage your vessel habitation requirements :sticktongue:

Not from reading the Wiki or Support docs.  While well organized out and explained  it seems lacking in the area I am experiencing.  In the VAB, when I use the context menu 'Configure Pod' I can only select two components to be part of the command pod?  It defaults to Scrubber and Pressure controller (which loads nitrogen in the capsule) but I have to lose one to have the humidity controller?  To have all the controllers I would have to add the ECLLS part and configure it to provide two more options?

Once I configured my pod to scrubber/humidity I no longer had a humidity problem.  Is the limit to two just a game play feature to make service modules needed?

From the Wiki:

Enable/disable habitats

The user can enable and disable habitat parts individually, both in flight and in the editor. This is used to configure and reconfigure the vessel internal space, to influence its properties as the need arise.

Does the "habitat parts" mean the scrubbers and such?  Once I leave the VAB the pod configuration seems unchangeable in my game.   This is a great mod, simple yet with a high level of detail and great game play effects but managing the vessel habitation is a little fuzzy for me.

Edited by jpkerman

6 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

Is the limit to two just a game play feature to make service modules needed?

Yes, also there is an upgrade that adds a slot, you will find it in the electronics section of the tech tree ;)

Edited by PiezPiedPy

2 hours ago, PiezPiedPy said:

Maybe I can add a button to the pod tooltip to enable venting from the exterior of the pod?

I don't let myself get to the point of this being an issue, but I assume that having two habitats (A and B)means you put all kerbals in A, disable habitat in B.  Once vented, reenable habitatin B and move kerbals into it and do the same for A

A dump atmosphere button would be good that also deals with humidity. Use this as an option (resource intensive) for before scrubbers and humdity controls to increase stress but only reduce CO2 and humdity by half each time you enable the venting option but taking up a whole atmosphere of nitrogen and oxygen to do so.

Peace.

21 hours ago, jpkerman said:

Does the "habitat parts" mean the scrubbers and such?  Once I leave the VAB the pod configuration seems unchangeable in my game.   This is a great mod, simple yet with a high level of detail and great game play effects but managing the vessel habitation is a little fuzzy for me.

That wiki you are referring to is for the old Kerbalism. This forum thread is in a way Kerbalism Continued although it is named Kerbalism for which there is no Wiki yet (it is in the process of being put together though).

Configurable modules can only be configured in the editor, once the vessel is launched the equipment is set in the state you designed it in, you can however turn on/off individual modules in a crafts parts. Disabling habitat for a habitable part will vent the atmosphere in the part and any CO2/Moisture contained in its atmosphere. Reenabling a parts Habitat will take atmosphere from the whole craft along with any CO2/Moisture content, pressure for the craft will drop and will need re-pressurizing.

14 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Does the latest updates allow for bases to more easily be made?

The answer depends on a lot of factors, in some cases the extra mining choices will mean a yes whereas the rebalanced greenhouse will mean a no, your best bet is to read the CHANGELOG.md and decide for yourself.