N70

[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.1

Recommended Posts

On 7/12/2018 at 2:12 AM, PiezPiedPy said:

An Kerbal on EVA can fix some failures and an engineer on EVA can fix all failures.

Even the critical failure? I thought it means the element is done for good. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2018 at 4:31 AM, N70 said:

Good new, there is now a ReadTheDocs for Kerbalism. It's a WIP, but better than nothing! https://kerbalism.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

It is nice. I looked at it yesterday trying to find some numbers for chem plant, kerbal food/water/o2 usage, and their co2/humidity/waste/waste water output while in the flight scene. Some hard numbers in there would be welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darkherring said:

Even the critical failure? I thought it means the element is done for good. Thanks.

Ooops my bad, your right, critical are toast

1 hour ago, AngrybobH said:

It is nice. I looked at it yesterday trying to find some numbers for chem plant, kerbal food/water/o2 usage, and their co2/humidity/waste/waste water output while in the flight scene. Some hard numbers in there would be welcome.

Still a WIP (Work in Progress) be patient. btw more pages where just added ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome mod! Thanks for keeping it up to date!

 

Still have some questions on my mind for my upcoming duna base:

Shielding: So how much do i need, is there some kind of formula... like 1rah/h needs X amount of shielding for a permanent solution?

Radiation: How do my poor kerbals get rid of radiation (seems to even slowly build up on LKO)?

Stress: So if they have some soil to stand on (and proper living quarter) they are getting happy, right?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StainX said:

Awesome mod! Thanks for keeping it up to date!

 

Still have some questions on my mind for my upcoming duna base:

Shielding: So how much do i need, is there some kind of formula... like 1rah/h needs X amount of shielding for a permanent solution?

Radiation: How do my poor kerbals get rid of radiation (seems to even slowly build up on LKO)?

Stress: So if they have some soil to stand on (and proper living quarter) they are getting happy, right?
 

Radiation cannot be reduced to 0 by shielding.  Max shielding blocks 95%, iirc.  The active shield directly subtracts radiation so I think enough of those could hit 0.  Radiation and Stress are automatically reset to 0 when they are recovered on Kerbin.  There is no other way to make them go down currently, you just slow it down a lot.  All of the numbers, like how long they will last in a given situation, is calculated for you in the wonderful planner in the VAB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

Radiation cannot be reduced to 0 by shielding.  Max shielding blocks 95%, iirc.  The active shield directly subtracts radiation so I think enough of those could hit 0.  Radiation and Stress are automatically reset to 0 when they are recovered on Kerbin.  There is no other way to make them go down currently, you just slow it down a lot.  All of the numbers, like how long they will last in a given situation, is calculated for you in the wonderful planner in the VAB.

Interesting, and "maximum" shielding would be full shield in all modules?

So this will be hard, to build up some comfy base a few years of travel, far away from home...

Guess i need to try out some stuff in cheat menu first to get a good feeling of whats going on exactly.

Anyway, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, StainX said:

Interesting, and "maximum" shielding would be full shield in all modules? 

Correct.  Don't forget that greenhouses are habitats and thus have shielding capacity as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at Kerbalism, liking the feature set (radiation belts!), but... ain't supplies horribly bulky? Just messing around in VAB, trying to equip a hitchhiker with a one-year supply, I find the sheer size size increase hard to believe. By comparison, a pair of greenhouses providing "infinite" food seems to be way too easy.

Is there anything I missed? I'm really just having a first look.

Also, as I'm displaying time in 24h*365d, can Kerbalism be made to use the same format?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laie said:

ain't supplies horribly bulky?

They are in real life too. But, as a counter to that, this is a game and I agree that supplies are too bulky on those grounds. Also the lack of a stackable gas(O2, N2, etc) container (without using other mods) means you need to add a bunch of parts to the part count of long mission ships just to make the trip. Add to that the non-surface attachable, non-tweakscalable external life support parts and you could see a 50 or more part count increase on long missions. Overall, the mod is great for adding the real danger of space(which is why I use it) but the settings need some tweaking. You can change a bunch of things in the cfg files to suit your needs but a UI in the settings menu would be sweet.

The greenhouses do not provide infinite food. They make an amount of food over 200 days. Anything can happen in those 200 days that could delay the harvest. Also, Kerbals do not provide all the CO2 the plants need. Sustainability seems to be almost impossible with kerbalism unless you are on a body that can provide some basic things(i.e. Duna has water, nitrogen, and CO2 in useful quantities).

I don't know anything about the time display but, I can tell you that the planner is not reliable. Things change in space depending on exact orbit, rad exposure, part failures, etc. The planner could never calculate these things. Like NASA, you would do well to oversupply your manned missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

They are in real life too. But, as a counter to that, this is a game and I agree that supplies are too bulky on those grounds.

Now it dawns on me that this is the food from community resource pack, sorry, I should have thought of that even before asking. It's based on public data from a 1980's shuttle flight.

Small Kerbin bites again: our food is just as bulky as the real stuff, while KSP spacecraft are not. On top of that, Kerbals consume a whole day's worth in six hours.

Edited by Laie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a space station, where my kerbal died regularly because of CO2 poisoning. The station have enough electrical capability while in the dark, but when I speed up the game it seems to be not properly handled by Kerbalism. Except adding more and more battery, is there a way to avoid surveilling the station while warping ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ecaheti said:

I have a space station, where my kerbal died regularly because of CO2 poisoning. The station have enough electrical capability while in the dark, but when I speed up the game it seems to be not properly handled by Kerbalism. Except adding more and more battery, is there a way to avoid surveilling the station while warping ?

I would also be intersted in this. When warping at 1000 or 10000 it is pretty likely that my kerbals die. Spamming batteries seems to help with 1000x, but at 10000x it's russian roulette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ecaheti said:

kerbal died regularly because of CO2 poisoning

 

1 hour ago, Maestro22 said:

When warping at 1000 or 10000 it is pretty likely that my kerbals die

The background processes seem to not be able to keep up at high warp. This also happens with TAC life support(many kerbals died when I had that installed). The only answer I have found is add a mod that adds some form of nuclear reactor(not affected by light). This is not ideal but it works 100% of the time for me. I did have some success putting on enough fuel cells then setting them to auto on for dark AND low power and setting auto off for high power. Very high warp can still mess those settings up sometimes. If you leave the fuel cells on all the time, you won't have a problem (like the nuclear reactors) but, you better have enough H2 and O2 to last.

Suggestions for nuclear power include Near Future, B9 HX parts, and Planetary Base systems. All of those have reactors that don't alter the way EC works. I know for a fact the B9 HX reactor and the K&K (planetary base) reactor work well. I have not tested the near future parts but I fully expect them to work well. KSPI-E is also a fun mod that adds reactors and a ton of other parts but it alters some game mechanics and adds some major complexity to building with reactors. If that is your sort of thing, I would suggest that as well. I have not tested KSPI-E(yet. it's the next mod I am going to add though) with Kerbalism and I have no idea how compatible they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, thought I'd share my experience working to install Kerbalism running KSP 1.4.3 today. I've been wanting to use this mod for a while, and finally decided to install it. 

But when I installed onto my main KSP install (admittedly, quite a few mods on it), I couldn't get the buttons and resources to work properly. I used the version from CKAN (I think it's 1.7.1) but it just seemed like it wasn't working.

So I tested a clean install of 1.4.3 and found that once I used the 1.7.0 version (from Spacedock here: https://spacedock.info/mod/1774/Kerbalism/download/1.7.0) it actually worked better. I could see the buttons in Flight/Map and VAB/SPH whereas in my other install they weren't showing up.

Not sure if there's a difference there somewhere between 1.7.1 (for KSP 1.4.4) and 1.7.0 (for KSP 1.4.3) but that was my experience. YMMV though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scottadges said:

I used the version from CKAN (I think it's 1.7.1)

CKAN only downloads 1.7.0 for me. I'm on KSP 1.4.3 because I refuse to give up Kopernicus and OPM. I believe 1.7.1 is only for KSP 1.4.4. @N70 didn't say so in the release post for 1.7.1 (last page) but that's probably the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering, is it possible in Flight mode to move the main Vessel Monitor panel from the upper right corner?

It's conflicting with the Alternate Resource Panel and I'm having a challenge switching between the resources and vessel monitor. 

I know you can "middle click" to pop out certain sub-panels, but the main panel is what I'm trying to figure out.

Also, changing the size of the text? I see you can adjust the UI scaling, and I set it to "2" (instead of 1) but it still seems super small. (I don't have young eyes any more... too... small... to read...)

Edited by scottadges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@scottadges v.1.7.1 has a big problem with MM and should not be used, you should use v.1.7.1.1 that has the fix, you can download it from Spacedock. Don't forget to also install CRP as Kerbalism depends on it for the resource definitions.

For the UI scale just keep setting it higher until you can read the text. Also the monitor panel is not moveable, one day that might change but it won't be any time soon.

@AngrybobH You can use v1.7.1.1 with any KSP 1.4.x version

Edited by PiezPiedPy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, smckamey19 said:

I think I'm having a similar problem with the Universal Storage Alkaline Fuel Cell. My batteries stop charging once I no longer have the vessel active.Go to your vessel and open up the normal Kerbalism GUI. Middle click on "auto" at the bottom to see all the devices/components on the vessel. You can turn these on and off through the menu. I do not see the Alkaline Fuel Cells and you probably do not see the SSTU solar panels? I'm not sure, just guessing. So the question is.. Is there a way to add these devices so that Kerbalism recognizes them? I don't know the answer to that. :(

Yoooo...anyone know how to fix this? the US Alkaline Fuel Cell stops working when it becomes a background ship

 

Also it seems the Universal Storage Oxygen and Hydrogen will not work with the stock fuel cell.

 

So I am stuck where I can't use the Universal storage fuel cell and I can't use the neat packages of the universal storage items.

Edited by Masochist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PiezPiedPy said:

For the UI scale just keep setting it higher until you can read the text. Also the monitor panel is not moveable, one day that might change but it won't be any time soon.

Thanks, appreciate your response. I'll keep playing with it until I can "see" it :P

Edited by scottadges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Masochist There are no support files for Universal Storage in Kerbalism. Post an issue on GitHub asking for its support and it might get added one day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PiezPiedPy said:

@Masochist There are no support files for Universal Storage in Kerbalism. Post an issue on GitHub asking for its support and it might get added one day

Keep in mind that Universal Storage 2 is coming soon, so I wouldn't work on it until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to beat a dead horse.... I've been playing with the UI scaling in Settings.cfg, but it hasn't made difference in the UI. Is there another way to do this?

Is there something to change related to the KSP base UI settings? The comment regarding "relative to  KSP scaling settings" is what I'm wondering.

  UIScale = 100.0                       // scale UI elements by this factor, relative to KSP scaling settings, useful for high DPI screens
  UIPanelWidthScale = 100.0             // scale UI Panel Width by this factor, relative to KSP scaling settings, useful for high DPI screens

So far, I've tried "2", "10", and now "100" but nothing changes. Anything else I can do to increase the font size and panel width?

Edited by scottadges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.