[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

Love the mod, but recently have seen a problem.

https://ibb.co/album/mhNWQa

As you can see, this is a basic Mun landing, using the Bluedog parts. Everything goes well, until the point of separating the LEM from the CSM. Almost as soon as the LEM starts its decent, stress on the one Kerbal in the CSM starts to climb FAST, along with radiation. As you can see by the pictures, there are no solar storms going on, and even if there were, radiation poisoning wouldn't climb THAT fast. I also know a Kerbal left by themselves will start to go mad, but not inside of 15 minutes.

As I have manned stations in LKO, that aren't experiencing this problem, is this a Bluedog conflict? What in heck is going on.

Edited by Bloodbunny

18 minutes ago, Bloodbunny said:

Everything goes well, until the point of separating the LEM from the CSM. Almost as soon as the LEM starts its decent, stress on the one Kerbal in the CSM starts to climb FAST, along with radiation. As you can see by the pictures, there are no solar storms going on, and even if there were, radiation poisoning wouldn't climb THAT fast. I also know a Kerbal left by themselves will start to go mad, but not inside of 15 minutes.

As I have manned stations in LKO, that aren't experiencing this problem, is this a Bluedog conflict? What in heck is going on.

This sounds like a bug that is supposed to be fixed in the current release. Which version of Kerbalism are you using? And does the current dev version have the same issues?

On 8/29/2019 at 12:17 AM, N70 said:

Are you sure it's just not transmitting when you're not looking?

Also plz ask these questions on the discord .-.

Pretty sure, yeah... Even if it's transmitting, I have no way of knowing how long do I have to keep that experiment running to get all the science out of it, because as I said, it doesn't complete due to these resets. What can I do?

Sorry, I don't use discord...

EDIT: I noticed that sometimes when doing experiments that take a lot of hard drive space, during comm blackouts (when unable to transmit), Kerbalism sends a message "Scanner halted. No storage left on vessel", which leads to incomplete experiments. What is the proper way in Kerbalism to fully perform experiments that take months to complete, yet produce more data than could possibly be stored or transmitted?

Edited by aluc24

11 hours ago, aluc24 said:

EDIT: I noticed that sometimes when doing experiments that take a lot of hard drive space, during comm blackouts (when unable to transmit), Kerbalism sends a message "Scanner halted. No storage left on vessel", which leads to incomplete experiments. What is the proper way in Kerbalism to fully perform experiments that take months to complete, yet produce more data than could possibly be stored or transmitted?

The experiment will continue, and eventually it will finish. Even if the readout on the part indicates that it starts new at 0% that is not actually the case. The UI always indicates how much of the entire duration is left, but it will finish once all the data has been sent to KSC.

17 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

The experiment will continue, and eventually it will finish. Even if the readout on the part indicates that it starts new at 0% that is not actually the case. The UI always indicates how much of the entire duration is left, but it will finish once all the data has been sent to KSC.

So how do I know how much more time a particular experiment will take, or at least what is it's completion percent?

The radiation shielding in this mod is too heavy. Crewed modules should have some layer of radiation protection in them by default, and solid lead plating is not the only way to protect astronauts from radiation. Creating surface bases, space stations and even simple Mun/Minmus missions have become extremely discouraged due to how difficult it is to fight radiation. While it is a subject of a lot of research in real life, the fact the only method we have to fight it is lead plating or intense magnetic forcefields doesn't make sense. Aerobraking at Kerbin requires going into the high radiation belts many times unless you take such a steep descent that you die to heat or g forces. This is the only reason why I do not like playing with this mod; I enjoy a hardcore experience (I am using this with JNSQ, which makes it even more frustrating that we cannot use, for example, water instead of super heavy metals for protection), but the excessively punishing radiation mechanic basically prevents us from doing any form of crewed mission for an extended period of time, especially considering that you need many empty seats to prevent stress.

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

3 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

The radiation shielding in this mod is too heavy. Crewed modules should have some layer of radiation protection in them by default, and solid lead plating is not the only way to protect astronauts from radiation. Creating surface bases, space stations and even simple Mun/Minmus missions have become extremely discouraged due to how difficult it is to fight radiation. While it is a subject of a lot of research in real life, the fact the only method we have to fight it is lead plating or intense magnetic forcefields doesn't make sense. Aerobraking at Kerbin requires going into the high radiation belts many times unless you take such a steep descent that you die to heat or g forces. This is the only reason why I do not like playing with this mod; I enjoy a hardcore experience (I am using this with JNSQ, which makes it even more frustrating that we cannot use, for example, water instead of super heavy metals for protection), but the excessively punishing radiation mechanic basically prevents us from doing any form of crewed mission for an extended period of time, especially considering that you need many empty seats to prevent stress.

Why don't you just turn off Radiation if you don't like it?  I'm pretty sure it's an option.

22 hours ago, Cruesoe said:

Why don't you just turn off Radiation if you don't like it?  I'm pretty sure it's an option.

Like I said, I like having a realistic experience, and you can't just turn off radation in real life, I just don't like how the only way to fight it is lead plating. There should be water shielding or something once you get to mid game, because simply using dense plating is an awfully inefficient way of dealing with the problem and I just don't have the dV or TWR to get anywhere with a protected crew.

14 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

The radiation shielding in this mod is too heavy.

We're exchanging lead with a lighter alloy composite material for the next release. It will have approx. 1/3rd the mass while having the same shielding effect - but will cost 3 times more.

Aerobraking at Kerbin requires going into the high radiation belts many times

Try a polar orbit?

the excessively punishing radiation mechanic basically prevents us from doing any form of crewed mission for an extended period of time, especially considering that you need many empty seats to prevent stress.

Well... I've got bad news for you:

Data from the Mars Trace Gas Orbiter shows just the flight there and back alone will expose astronauts to 60 percent the lifetime radiation dose

It's not Kerbalism that makes it unrealistically hard do do extended crewed missions. That's just how it is.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

8 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

We're exchanging lead with a lighter alloy composite material for the next release. It will have approx. 1/3rd the mass while having the same shielding effect - but will cost 3 times more.

Maybe make it an unlockable upgrade, like science modules for probes. No need for fancy tech in the early game. Space Exploration would be a good tech node for this IMO. 

11 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Thank you! This is exactly what we needed. I was wanting to pay for composite materials like those NASA use in several missions and I should have made that clear.

11 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

It's not Kerbalism that makes it unrealistically hard do do extended crewed missions. That's just how it is.

I wasn't specifically talking about going to Mars or some other distant planet. Right now it is not reasonable for me just to do a Mun mission because your kerbals will receive pretty sizable doses as well simply because it's too expensive to put shielding on right now to have enough fuel to get there and back, especially in mods that use larger planets. The polar thing is a good idea but aerobraking becomes a lot harder when you're not going with Kerbin's rotation, and that was far more dangerous than the radiation poisoning. I know that it's really hard in real life and that's why I like the mechanic, we've just been stuck with a pretty inefficient way of combatting radiation for a while. That or the stock command pods are heavier than they should be without any radiation shielding. If their weight is comparable to their real life counterparts I would think that they contain some form of radiation protection out of the box, but I don't really know how they shape up.

I'm having problems with pressurizing. Every time a crew member transfers anywhere in the station the habitat loses some portion of its atmosphere and needs to be pressurized again. Also, sometimes the habitats will suddenly revert progress in pressurizing for no reason. I have a science lab, a wharf station control room, a cupola and a coriolos inflatable hab module (SSPXR) and they keep suddenly losing their nitrogen atmosphere for no reason and it is perpetually consuming a ridiculous amount of nitrogen requiring me to send numerous missions there. Kerbalism says I have adequate pressurization to combat leakage as well.

I have this same problem on all of the stations I build. There haven't been any malfunctions at all let alone related to the life support systems, so I don't see what the problem is. If it matters I have 7 crew members on board and the control room is a seperate module docked via clampotrons. Does anyone know what sort of mods might modify or break Kerbalism's pressure system?

13 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Maybe make it an unlockable upgrade, like science modules for probes. No need for fancy tech in the early game. Space Exploration would be a good tech node for this IMO. 

Can't really do that, it would be too messy. Anyway, noone would ever bring lead plating to space to begin with, because lead makes matters worse when bombarded with charged particles ;)

8 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I'm having problems with pressurizing.

Long story short, there are several known issues within Kerbalism's habitat code, especially how it handles vessel atmosphere and pressurization. That code is pretty high on the list of things that should, and eventually will be rewritten, but it's not exactly trivial. We'd like to have something configurable (currently it's all hard coded) that properly deals with a mixture of gases at different pressures in different parts of your ship, which could allow for things like low pressure oxygen only habitats in EVA suits.

Upgraded to the latest version and the HDD upgrades have stopped working. Figured it might be a bug in changing versions within a save, so tested a new career and cheated in a load of science points, but the HDD upgrades didn't work there either. Am also running UnKerballedStart, which I understand compatibility has just been added for - so wonder if the issue is there?

EDIT: Huh. Just looked at the UnKerballedStart compatibility patch, and if I'm reading it right it seems like it just completely nerfs all HDDs and leaves only about three command pods capable of receiving upgrades?? Some of them seem to have had their capacity reduced literally by a factor of a hundred

Edited by baldamundo

Is there any way to disable maximum ignitions on engines? I'm using MechJeb and it has a weird way of course correction where it will switch on and off the engine for a split second. This can go through all of the ignitions in a single ascent to Kerbin orbit.

2 hours ago, Sulfur said:

Is there any way to disable maximum ignitions on engines? I'm using MechJeb and it has a weird way of course correction where it will switch on and off the engine for a split second. This can go through all of the ignitions in a single ascent to Kerbin orbit.

Kerbalism changes nothing to engine ignition numbers. Do you have the mod Engine ignitor?

2 hours ago, Sulfur said:

Currently, you can do it just with configs by either disabling reliability or something like the following MM patch (untested):

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[FeatureReliability]:AFTER[zzzKerbalism]
{
        @MODULE[Reliability],* { @rated_ignitions = 0 }
}

But I'd rather find a way to tell MechJeb not to do that.

8 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Kerbalism changes nothing to engine ignition numbers. Do you have the mod Engine ignitor?

The current dev build does.

16 minutes ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Huh, does it conflict somehow with Real Fuels?

I don't think it *conflicts* with it, but I wouldn't want to have 2 mods doing the same thing. Since it all builds on configs, it can easily be removed by a MM patch if RealFuels or anything else is installed.

Anyway, thanks for the input - I just added configs that disable all engine failures if RealFuels is installed (or EngineIgnitor, while I'm at it)

Edited by Sir Mortimer

Hey there,

I hope there isn't already an answer to this, at least i didn't find something via search function.

Is there a way to see which Kerbalism science you already have accomplished?

Not necessarily which you CAN still accomplish but I'd like to see which experiments i already have done on e.g. the mun to decide where my next landing should go to. [x]! Science seems not to work, at least it does not show me anything as completed.

Thanks in advance :)

2 hours ago, Crio said:

Hey there,

I hope there isn't already an answer to this, at least i didn't find something via search function.

Is there a way to see which Kerbalism science you already have accomplished?

Not necessarily which you CAN still accomplish but I'd like to see which experiments i already have done on e.g. the mun to decide where my next landing should go to. [x]! Science seems not to work, at least it does not show me anything as completed.

Thanks in advance :)

You have to look in the R&D screen.

Although there are many people that would like to have something like [X] science to track it more easily. Maybe one day....