N70

[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.1

Recommended Posts

OK, to wrap up the pressurization thing: removing the Mk1 pressurization bonus was done to stop people from going for very long term missions (>30 days) with just a Mk-1, there weren't many additional considerations done or possible at the time. Kerbals are a very forgiving and hard core bunch, they would endure such torture without much of a fuss if the cabin was pressurized, that's the entire reason. The Kerbalism Habitat code is quite rigid in its implementation, it is impossible to simulate different kinds of atmosphere in different environments and pressures (pure O2 in low pressure EVA suits vs. an earth like air mixture in a cabin). What we do now is the equivalent of feeding a tube from the O2 tanks into the lungs of the Kerbals with just enough flow to convert all of it it into poisonous CO2. Without that tube the Kerbals would probably suffocate, because the cabin air consists of nothing but Nitrogen and CO2 (which is why you loose only nitrogen, but no O2 to cabin leaks). Plans are to change that, along with fixing some bugs with Habitat (sudden and unexplained pressure losses etc) - but not for the coming version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any plans to make it more obvious that this capsule is unpressurized. I found it very confusing at first as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 8:44 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

What we do now is the equivalent of feeding a tube from the O2 tanks into the lungs of the Kerbals with just enough flow to convert all of it it into poisonous CO2.

But... that would not require any CO2 scrubbers. With higher CO2 levels in the capsule atmosphere, the pressure controller would need less nitrogen.

I just try not to think too much about it, I have to admit. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrSaltiMuch said:

Missing the humidity readings I noticed in your setting file. Is that coming back?

They removed the humidity mechanic in the dev build. It's in the changelog.

Edited by Azzinoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello !

I try to make a Kerbalism config for the tantares engines (Ullage and ignition). But I don't find the localisation of the .CFG doing that for other mods parts like BDB. 

Someone could tell me the path ?

Thanks for your help :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 5:35 PM, mindstalker said:

Any plans to make it more obvious that this capsule is unpressurized. I found it very confusing at first as well 

untested, but should work:

// Unpressurized.cfg v1.1.1
// Kerbalism
// created: 24 Oct 19
// updated: 27 Oct 19

@PART[mk1pod,mk1pod_v2]:NEEDS[FeatureComfort]:FOR[Unpressurized]
{
	@title ^= :(.)$:$0<color=red> (UNPRESSURIZED)</color> :
	@description ^= :Mk1:<i><color=red>unpressurized</color></i> Mk1:
}

// CC BY-NC-SA-4.0
// zer0Kerbal

@mindstalker updated the patch (tested)

updated :NEEDS :FOR so the patch will only work when Kerbalism is installed. Moved description 'unpressurized into descriptive text rather than added as a suffix.

added PR to github.

Edited by zer0Kerbal
updated the patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quick question,


I am playing with 1.8, can I use the dev build or is it still really only for 1.7.x

Edited by Zedwardson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Zedwardson said:

quick question,


I am playing with 1.8, can I use the dev build or is it still really only for 1.7.x

I use the latest Dev build on 1.8.

It's updated for 1.8 and will work fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having a problem with electrical charge in high time warp.

While warping at 100,000x the ship will occasionally go down to zero EC and the warp will be cancelled because the kerbals start to have climatization stress.

If you mod your timewarp and use 1,000,000x the kerbals will die if you keep trying to warp.

The ship is comprised of a Mk1-3 command pod and three hitchhikers with the TV and RDU running, 18 1x6 solar panels, and oxygen, nitrogen, food and water storage.

The planner says there is enough electricity and the batteries stay full at 10,000x timewarp or lower.

Something else I noticed is that at 100,000x the PAW for the solar panels will occasionally very briefly blink "Occluded by Vessel;" it happens too fast to say whether it corresponds to the loss of electric charge.

Here's a link to a save game with the vessel in orbit around the sun: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yz4tgW0rlV-n6V8dfSxWpZKkH5BjuB-H/view?usp=sharing

It is stock KSP 1.7.3 with no expansions and Kerbalism 3.0.2 and default config installed through CKAN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SlashTen There was definitely some issues with solar panels in v3.0.x, although having issues while in sun orbit is quite strange.
Anyway, solar power handling has been completely rewritten since, dev builds are available here : https://github.com/Kerbalism/DevBuilds/releases
I highly suggest to use them instead of 3.0.2, they contain a lot of bug fixes and many nice improvements.
The latest ones are quite stable, we might release an official 3.1 update soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gotmachine Ok, thanks! I'll check that out.

I've been having a lot of fun playing with Kerbalism. The new science system in particular adds a huge amount of depth to the game. You all are doing great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

I have noticed some inconsistencies with radiation rates. I'm planning my mission to the mun and in the VAB it is telling me that the radiation on the surface of mun would be 7 rad/h. In the tracking station it says the radiation on the surface of mun would be only 0.025 rad/h. If I remember right you using a career limit of 200 rad for kerbals right? So even at 7 rad/h I should have 28h or 5 kerbin days, however the estimate in the VAB says I only have 1 day. (I'm assuming these time estimates are meaning time to reach career limit, or am I interpreting these time values wrong?)

I have also compared these values to some real world values from here, and the radiation on the surface of the mun should be about 1 mrad/h. So even the 0.025 rad/h are an order of magnitude too high. I will check how much radiation my kerbals actually get on the mun when I start my mission.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the mod a lot, so thank you.

Edited by Azzinoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Azzinoth said:

Hey,

I have noticed some inconsistencies with radiation rates. I'm planning my mission to the mun and in the VAB it is telling me that the radiation on the surface of mun would be 7 rad/h.

Thanks for bringing this up, turns out that the radiation was wrong for all moons. The latest dev build includes a fix for it.

 

16 hours ago, Azzinoth said:

I have also compared these values to some real world values from here, and the radiation on the surface of the mun should be about 1 mrad/h. So even the 0.025 rad/h are an order of magnitude too high. I will check how much radiation my kerbals actually get on the mun when I start my mission.

The thing is, there are short of a dozen different variables in Kerbalism that determine the resulting radiation in any situation, and it is just that one radiation level. Real world data deals with alpha, beta and gamma radiation, Kerbalism doesn't. And depending on what source you're looking at there have wildly different numbers on the different types of radiation, that affect living tissue and delicate instruments differently. What's more, Kerbalism assumes some Numbers for radiation that, while in the ballpark of the real thing, can't be accurate because their real world counterparts are still very much unknown. F.i. we don't know the radiation outside the heliosphere because we haven't sent a dosimeter there yet. Plus, the Kerbalism radiation model, while being (in my biased personal opinion ;) ) the best that's available for KSP at this time, still is just a model that tries to map a real scale solar system to the tiny star system that Kerbin exists in.

In other words: it's not perfect, it won't match what you find on the subject, but it will be in the same ballpark and it works for the game. And that last one is the most important, and ultimately the only relevant consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

In other words: it's not perfect, it won't match what you find on the subject, but it will be in the same ballpark and it works for the game. And that last one is the most important, and ultimately the only relevant consideration.

It even models the radiation belts, and the values for them are pretty close to the real world ones that I've found. But I agree that as a game it doesn't have to be perfectly modeled after reality (and sometimes thats for the better). I just had too look the values up to find out which values are wrong. I think you did a really great job, which is why I'm even bothering to critizize it in the first place. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carni35 said:

Hey !

For info Kerbalism Dev build seem interact weird with BDB for now : https://i.imgur.com/mnhX2MM.jpg

Tested with a fresh new install before and after

There is not a single line of text in that screenshot that relates to Kerbalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the dev builds, the new collapsing menu for capsules has a weird behavior: after the right-click, you can see the menu wandering upwards to its final position.

Also, the science menu is still there with science turned off. I didn't find an issue on GitHub for that. Should I open one? I just noticed that experiment configuration should be disabled as well, since it doesn't work anyway with stock science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

There is not a single line of text in that screenshot that relates to Kerbalism.

As I said, to be sure I have created a new fresh install with all my mods. Launched it, no messages. Added Kerbalism dev kit, and those warnings appeared. I think it's related

Anyway maybe it's not important, just wanted to warn you ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ability to repair engines that are low on use seems a bit glitchy using recent dev build. GUI says I have 0 ignitions left, (Skipper engine normal) a visit via IVA says engine is fine. It still fires once. I can then repair it.  Have a similar issue with  terrior where I've used to land on mun and trying to return. I try to repair before a long burn to head back to kerbin. it fails to let me repair but it still fails hard mid burn, unrepairable. Though it still has a minute left on time. 

Edited by mindstalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

n the dev builds, the new collapsing menu for capsules has a weird behavior: after the right-click, you can see the menu wandering upwards to its final position.

That's a KSP bug (fixed in 1.8)

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Also, the science menu is still there with science turned off

That menu will be used in the future for other things than science.

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I just noticed that experiment configuration should be disabled as well, since it doesn't work anyway with stock science.

This can't be done easily, we already had to resort to some hacks to hide the experiments themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sir Mortimer, could you please tell me how do I enable/disable the default Messages for new craft? I mean the messages like battery, supply, signal, etc. Most of the time these warnings are not necessary, and are a quite annoying as they stop the time warp, forcing me to disable each on on each craft individually. Also, when two vessels undock, they do not retain their message configuration, and so I have to disable everything I don't need yet again. I believe I saw this option somewhere, but I can't find it now. Could you please tell me how to do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

@Sir Mortimer, could you please tell me how do I enable/disable the default Messages for new craft? I mean the messages like battery, supply, signal, etc. Most of the time these warnings are not necessary, and are a quite annoying as they stop the time warp, forcing me to disable each on on each craft individually. Also, when two vessels undock, they do not retain their message configuration, and so I have to disable everything I don't need yet again. I believe I saw this option somewhere, but I can't find it now. Could you please tell me how to do that?

It's in the Kerbalism options on the KSP difficulty setting pages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cruesoe said:

It's in the Kerbalism options on the KSP difficulty setting pages.

Is there any way to modify that for an existing savegame? What do I need to modify in the sfs file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Is there any way to modify that for an existing savegame? What do I need to modify in the sfs file?

Just press escape and adjust the options in your game. They will take effect for every new vessel from that point I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.