[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

18 hours ago, patellislong said:

The ISRUs and drills no longer require me to have heat management systems on my crafts. Appears to me the overwrites are missing the core heat transfer requirements. Is this a bug or a feature?

its a feature

15 minutes ago, Jacke said:

it is a word

That's something that's been hotly debated for years, and probably will be for years to come.

Also, as the link you provided itself says..

Usage

Irregardless means the same as regardless, but the negative prefix ir- merely duplicates the suffix -less, and is unnecessary. The word dates back to the 19th century, but is regarded as incorrect in standard English

So thanks for making my point for me.. it's redundant and incorrect.

Edited by JAFO

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

..it's redundant and incorrect.

Irregardless, it stands.  And is a word.  (More irregardless stuff in the spoiler, including a link to the article "Yes, Irregardless Is a Word".

Spoiler

"Yes, Irregardless Is a Word"

And it's the last name of the sportcast play-by-play announcer, Zero Irregardless, in the comic "Superfan" (see point #6).

Wow, is something getting obscure when it's only mentioned in 3 places in Wikipedia: On a disambiguation page--but doesn't have a page of its own--and those of its writer Nick Meglin and its artist Jack Davis.  Sadly Jack Davis passed away in 2016 and Nick Meglin just this past June.  I should find my copy of the book from 1972.

Irregardless, I should get back to Kerbalism.

After reading the discussion on radiation on the last page as well as the documentation, I'd like to be sure I'm understanding how Kerbalism currently handles ionizing radiation.  The radial model produces a value from any radiation belts around the planet.  To that is summed the effect of interstellar cosmic radiation and solar events like CMEs.  And on top is added whatever contributions from Nerv engines.  And the PB-NUK RTG's?  And that total is matched against shielding of the crewed parts, without regard to the separation between the Nerv and PB-NUK's and the crew.

And effectively, from what @lordcirth said, with Kerbalism as it is now, with the maximum shielding in the default setting, Kerbal crew can only stand a single Nerv engine.  Is this correct?

Does radiation affect uncrewed pods at some higher level?  Can they be shielded?

6 hours ago, Jacke said:

Irregardless, it stands.  And is a word.  (More irregardless stuff in the spoiler, including a link to the article "Yes, Irregardless Is a Word".

Reveal hidden contents

"Yes, Irregardless Is a Word"

And it's the last name of the sportcast play-by-play announcer, Zero Irregardless, in the comic "Superfan" (see point #6).

Wow, is something getting obscure when it's only mentioned in 3 places in Wikipedia: On a disambiguation page--but doesn't have a page of its own--and those of its writer Nick Meglin and its artist Jack Davis.  Sadly Jack Davis passed away in 2016 and Nick Meglin just this past June.  I should find my copy of the book from 1972.

Irregardless, I should get back to Kerbalism.

After reading the discussion on radiation on the last page as well as the documentation, I'd like to be sure I'm understanding how Kerbalism currently handles ionizing radiation.  The radial model produces a value from any radiation belts around the planet.  To that is summed the effect of interstellar cosmic radiation and solar events like CMEs.  And on top is added whatever contributions from Nerv engines.  And the PB-NUK RTG's?  And that total is matched against shielding of the crewed parts, without regard to the separation between the Nerv and PB-NUK's and the crew.

And effectively, from what @lordcirth said, with Kerbalism as it is now, with the maximum shielding in the default setting, Kerbal crew can only stand a single Nerv engine.  Is this correct?

Does radiation affect uncrewed pods at some higher level?  Can they be shielded?

Basically each radiation source adds to a global radiation amount, without any regard to position, etc.  Active shields actually are just a negative emitter :P.  Then this radiation amount is multiplied by the average effectiveness of passive shielding over the active habitats.  Maximum shielding is 95% effective in the default profile, so you last 20 times longer.  So, passive shielding can never reduce rads to 0, only active shielding can.  Crew are the only things affected by radiation and therefore only habitats can be shielded.  Keep in mind that while greenhouses do not have crew slots, they are livable habitats and therefore need to be shielded.

Could the method Kerbalism represents a CME  support a science experiment that would give science points when a CME occurs?  Multiple satellites deployed could give different analysis of the event if the science points were a random generated 0-3 points per CME recorder per event.  I have not yet experienced a CME in the game but if the notification message (I assume there is one) could be dependent on another type of instrument (that could be created) then a science mission of deploying a CME warning satellite would become an option.

Edited by jpkerman

I think volume per electric charge unit should be tweaked a bit, like multiplied by 100. Right now you can fit 50k units of EC in a Mk I pod. It's an equivalent of 500 small stock batteries, which would weigh 2.5 t and would require 63 layers of 8 batteries each. Abusing this is very tempting in early career game. I think 500 EC should be all you could fit in a MK I. 

4 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

I think volume per electric charge unit should be tweaked a bit, like multiplied by 100. Right now you can fit 50k units of EC in a Mk I pod. It's an equivalent of 500 small stock batteries, which would weigh 2.5 t and would require 63 layers of 8 batteries each. Abusing this is very tempting in early career game. I think 500 EC should be all you could fit in a MK I. 

You can change how much EC a part holds? 

14 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Sure, but changing parts like that outside of the game is just throwing balance out the window.   

That wasn't at all what you asked.  Also, this is a thread for a mod.

Edited by lordcirth

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

That wasn't at all what you asked.  Also, this is a thread for a mod.

I was asking in response to the guy saying you could put 50k units of EC in a Mk1 pod, like how?  EC is fixed on parts as far as I'm aware. 

14 hours ago, JebIsDeadBaby said:

Currently, the MK I pod contains 140 units of EC. If you have more in there, then you have a mod or a MM patch that put it there. Kerbalism doesn't do that. The fact that one can do pretty much anything with ModuleManager is just how the game works, and beyond the scope of Kerbalism.

6 hours ago, eberkain said:

I was asking in response to the guy saying you could put 50k units of EC in a Mk1 pod, like how?  EC is fixed on parts as far as I'm aware. 

I guess I was wrong on what mod does what. In my game every capsule has some internal volume available, in case of Mk I it's 50 liters. You can fill it with any mixture of resources you like. On the list there are Kerbalism resources as well, so I was always convinced this feature was introduced by this mod. It so happens that if you use this volume in MK I for EC only, you can fit 50k of EC in there. Now that I think of it, if this volume was not introduced by Kerbalism, then it's Real Fuels probably and volume taken by resources is probably defined somewhere in  Community Resource Pack... 

Well, thanks for clearing that up for me anyway. 

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

4 hours ago, scimas said:

@N70 or whoever else is maintaining this mod, CKAN is currently installing the 1.3.1 version 1.9.0 for this mod on 1.4.5 KSP.. Please get this fixed, I spent so, so much time figuring out which mod was causing problems to kerbalism :confused:

I think I have this figured out and I have a workaround

EDIT:  And there appears to be other issues.  I'll have to PM @N70.

Edited by Jacke

Unfortunately, Kerbalism on CKAN being broken is pretty standard... it might be worth removing it from the suggested install methods on the first page, maybe replacing it with a link to the Github releases in case people want an alternative to SpaceDock.

1 hour ago, Maeyanie said:

Unfortunately, Kerbalism on CKAN being broken is pretty standard... it might be worth removing it from the suggested install methods on the first page, maybe replacing it with a link to the Github releases in case people want an alternative to SpaceDock.

The link to GitHub is already there mentioned for source.

CKAN is definitely worth it. I've used the mod enabler JSGME for years. Switching as much as possible to CKAN has allowed me to easily run several KSP installs. Example, one for KSP 1.4.5 without the Expansion, another for KSP 1.4.5E with the Expansion, and one with KSP 1.4.5E for testing with minimal mods (to narrow bugs to minimal mod sets and other uses). Could easily add more.

I think Kerbalism on CKAN could be made to work. I put the details in a CKAN issue.  https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/6724

Talking with the CKAN dudes about fixing things is the way to go, especially as Kerbalism wants to support releases for both KSP 1.3.1 and KSP 1.4.5.

My 2nd post in that CKAN issue has a possible solution.  @HebaruSan replied and indicated it might be able to work.

I have heard that it is problematic to have Spacedock offer up versions of the same release of a mod compiled for different KSP versions.

Along with other measures to resolve these issues, I wonder if adopting a new Kerbalism version numbering scheme could help (along with appropriate use of epoch numbers). I got the idea from Kopernicus's version scheme.

Versions 1.4.5.build for KSP 1.4.5
Versions 1.3.1.build for KSP 1.3.1

New build X comes out, compile version 1.4.5.X for KSP 1.4.5 and 1.3.1.X for KSP 1.3.1.

I wonder if with proper .version files, CKAN receiving the information from Spacedock could automatically keep things straight.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

The link to GitHub is already there mentioned for source.

It is, but it may not be obvious to everyone that there's also a regular end-user download there in addition to the source. Though, the Spacedock link works perfectly well, so I guess it's not really needed.

Just seems lately that there's always some problem or another with the CKAN install of Kerbalism in specific... bad download sizes, some files not getting installed, etc.

Edited by Maeyanie

1 hour ago, Maeyanie said:

Just seems lately that there's always some problem or another with the CKAN install of Kerbalism in specific... bad download sizes, some files not getting installed, etc.

It's a packaging system in development.  I saw similar things with Debian apt many many years ago.  The Debian Policy Manual is full of rules crafted out from experience on how to make Debian apt's packaging system work.  And CKAN isn't in a position of authority to make all mod authors conform to standards like Debian is.  They have to take the tools (.version files and KSP-AVC, GitHut, Spacedock, and what they build into the CKAN client and online metadata) and encourage and support best practices.  Which evolves as everyone learns more and things are improved.

Packaging systems are worth it.  Debian apt makes packaging of software and other things work on Debian servers and workstations with minimal admin.

Using CKAN is a lot easier to manage modding of KSP than doing it manually, even with the aid of JSGME.  I still use JSGME but very carefully and only when I have to.

Edited by Jacke

Hi there, just wanted to say this mod is fantastic. KSP isn't worth playing without it anymore. Balancing all the systems for a Duna mission was a great challenge.

Kerbalism Duna Mission

I do have one criticism. Radiation is currently far too difficult to manage for long missions. Even with 20mm of lead on all my craft, I was barely able to survive a round trip to Duna. A ship to Laythe would need to be 90% active shields. Inflatables are simply unusable since they don't have the option to add additional shielding. Something seems very off to me, especially with nearly an inch of lead lining my craft.

Perhaps add the ability to add shielding to reactors/nuclear engines to mitigate the emissive radiation factor, or at least make a concession to gameplay so that manned missions beyond Duna are even possible.

Edited by LateError

okay.  My kerbalism installed through CKAN didnt work.

I uninstalled it in CKAN, deleted the Kerbalism folder from GameData, reinstalled 1.9.0 from spacedock.

started up KSP again, i still dont see my kerbalism icons in my game, either in space center or VAB/SPH.

what did i do wrong.  ;.;

i checked back on this thread to sept 4th and didn't see a clear solution besides "reinstall from github/spacedock."