[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

1 hour ago, Maniaex said:

I just started my First Carrer Mode Save with Kerbalism 3. On the Way home after the first Mun Flyby, Jeb is dying because of Co2 Poisoning.

I don't understand why, he has enough Power, Oxygen, Food, Water and the Scrubber as well as the Humidity Control are working. He is in a Mk1 Command Pod.

Does Somebody know if this is some sort of Mod incompability or Bug or did I just overlook some part of the new Update?

Is the scrubber set to dump CO2? It should be by default.

2 hours ago, Maniaex said:

I just started my First Carrer Mode Save with Kerbalism 3. On the Way home after the first Mun Flyby, Jeb is dying because of Co2 Poisoning.

I don't understand why, he has enough Power, Oxygen, Food, Water and the Scrubber as well as the Humidity Control are working. He is in a Mk1 Command Pod.

Does Somebody know if this is some sort of Mod incompability or Bug or did I just overlook some part of the new Update?

Hi Maniaex,

Thanks for mentioning the Mk1 command pod. A small issue I have at present is not being able to get the CO2 scrubber installed in the VAB-configure pod window. I checked other command pods and they seem fine. I was trying to find where this is defined in configurations and possibly module manager (which I don't understand well at all) before querying this one (as it is one of the very few issues I have found so far), but will discuss now, as you seem to have a problem with the Mk1 also, though if my read of your post is correct, you do have the scrubber installed.  <Disregard the struck out portion - seems to be working now. May have been fixed in the 3.00 to 3.02 upgrade. Thought I checked, but must have missed it when looking for the gravity ring mentioned in my post earlier today>

Regarding saving Jeb... When I had poor Jeb on the Mun in a lander can, after a low power stage, I forgot to turn on the scrubber again, and he went high on CO2-near-death experience. I got him out on EVA a couple of times and although his CO2 level on EVA jumped from 2% ish to about low teens % transiently whilst on EVA (Maybe the calc is done on a reduced volume in the EVA suit with all CO2 being retained?), upon re-entering the craft, and pressuring up, the CO2 seemed to have blown down in dilution by the new atmosphere from storage. This might help save Jeb for you on the current mission (Long live Jeb...)

Kind Regards,

P&BH

Edited by PotatoAndBeanHarvester
Have struck out obsolete portion on new check of functionality.

I have some errors i can't get rid off and i'm not sure if it's Kerbalism or something else.

Spoiler

[LOG 13:49:03.499] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Resources/SurfaceScanner/SurfaceScanner/SurfaceScanner'
[LOG 13:49:03.524] PartLoader: Part 'Squad/Parts/Resources/SurfaceScanner/SurfaceScanner/SurfaceScanner' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 13:49:03.532] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'SurfaceScanner'
[LOG 13:49:03.567] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Squad/Parts/Resources/SurveyScanner/SurveyScanner/SurveyScanner'
[LOG 13:49:03.584] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: Lib.ConfigValue - error while trying to parse 'mass' from SETUP (Unknown char: a)

------- ^^ this just at startup ------------------

[ERR 13:52:49.924] [ScienceSubject] - Error in converting Situation System.ArgumentException: An empty string is not considered a valid value.
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ScienceUtil.GenerateLocalizedTitle (System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

----- ^^ this one all the time -----------------

[LOG 13:54:34.393] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 2113274967 to Simulation PartSet:13 as corresponding Part Mk3-9 'Rhea' Orbital Command Pod-514453318 SimulationResource was not found.

----- ^^ this one too, also with other resources (listed below)

Resource -32849705 | Resource -222827107 |

gamefolder

12 hours ago, PotatoAndBeanHarvester said:

Hi Maniaex,

Thanks for mentioning the Mk1 command pod. A small issue I have at present is not being able to get the CO2 scrubber installed in the VAB-configure pod window. I checked other command pods and they seem fine. I was trying to find where this is defined in configurations and possibly module manager (which I don't understand well at all) before querying this one (as it is one of the very few issues I have found so far), but will discuss now, as you seem to have a problem with the Mk1 also, though if my read of your post is correct, you do have the scrubber installed.  <Disregard the struck out portion - seems to be working now. May have been fixed in the 3.00 to 3.02 upgrade. Thought I checked, but must have missed it when looking for the gravity ring mentioned in my post earlier today>

Regarding saving Jeb... When I had poor Jeb on the Mun in a lander can, after a low power stage, I forgot to turn on the scrubber again, and he went high on CO2-near-death experience. I got him out on EVA a couple of times and although his CO2 level on EVA jumped from 2% ish to about low teens % transiently whilst on EVA (Maybe the calc is done on a reduced volume in the EVA suit with all CO2 being retained?), upon re-entering the craft, and pressuring up, the CO2 seemed to have blown down in dilution by the new atmosphere from storage. This might help save Jeb for you on the current mission (Long live Jeb...)

Kind Regards,

P&BH

Hello There,

Well, I just used the Debug Menu to get him home(Shame on Me). Maybe it was a pressurisation Problem. But even after Landing Jeb went on an EVA removed the Helmet and the Level of CO2 Poisoning continued to rise, is that supposed to happen?

12 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Is the scrubber set to dump CO2? It should be by default.

It should be, I didn't change any of the Settings.

Suggestion, orbital decay, there was an old outdated mod that added the functionality, I think Kerbalism would be handy with it. Orbital decay forces you to ensure satellites have fuel to do station keeping to stay in orbit, without it they fall to the planet just like real life. I hope someone on the dev team takes this into consideration to add, as well as kerbals degrading to low g environments

4 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Suggestion, orbital decay, there was an old outdated mod that added the functionality, I think Kerbalism would be handy with it. Orbital decay forces you to ensure satellites have fuel to do station keeping to stay in orbit, without it they fall to the planet just like real life. I hope someone on the dev team takes this into consideration to add, as well as kerbals degrading to low g environments

No. Orbital decay is way out of scope.

Edited by N70

5 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

orbital decay, there was an old outdated mod that added the functionality

1 hour ago, N70 said:

way out of scope

Thanks. I don't think it makes sense from a gameplay perspective, unless KSP gets multiplayer and my team of hundreds of minions friends does all the station keeping so I can concentrate on the interesting stuff : )

There's certainly an audience for that, but in the meantime it might be a better idea to try and revive, or rewrite that old mod. Also, Principia may be a worth a look if you're after even more realism, although I don't recall off the top of my head whether they model gravitational anomalies. Atmospheric decay is almost certainly out of their scope though.

1 hour ago, Corax said:

Principia may be a worth a look if you're after even more realism, although I don't recall off the top of my head whether they model gravitational anomalies

They do: mass concentrations on Earth and Moon, and oblateness (which allows for some cool sun synchronous orbits). I found that with principia, one doesn't need orbital decay - orbits are unstable enough on their own.

14 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

9 hours ago, N70 said:

No. Orbital decay is way out of scope.

^ What he said. 

Another 2 cents: Having orbital decay, while realistic, becomes extremely tedious and unfun really quick. Ultimately, we're playing a game, not running accurate simulations. 

Having orbital decay would go two ways from what I can see: 

1: Having to manually re-boost vessels. Imagine having a few dozen sats/ships all over the solar system, and having to periodically switch to them, plan maneouvers, and execute those maneouvers. While yes, accurate, it would get extremely tedious really quick, and will suck out all the fun from the playthrough for the vast majority of people. I get it, there's an audience for this type of stuff, as with everything, but the vast majority will find it questionable. Kerbalism is already too much for quite a lot of people, judging by the fact that other LS mods are more popular. Adding this in will further trim down the player base using Kerbalism.

2: Automating the re-boosts: If it's automated, why even bother implementing it if it doesn;t change gameplay for the player? Forcing them to carry a bit more extra fuel? I don't see the value of putting in work to implement it just to bypass it completely afterwards.

20 hours ago, SilverState said:

2: Automating the re-boosts: If it's automated, why even bother implementing it if it doesn;t change gameplay for the player? Forcing them to carry a bit more extra fuel? I don't see the value of putting in work to implement it just to bypass it completely afterwards.

I don't agree with this. It allows you to make meaningfull dissisions. Are you going to put an satelity/space station into orbit temperary and accept orbital decay, or are oing providing it with sufficient propellant to keep it in orbit. I like those kind of decisions. I see it as a form of lifesupport, which will kill your vessel alive. As long if theire is sufficient automation (or auto re-supply), this would definatly improve the game experience.

Edited by FreeThinker

21 hours ago, SilverState said:

This is how Orbital Decay (the mod I'm presuming he's talking about) handled it. If the vessel had a form of propulsion and the appropriate fuel, instead of decaying it would just slowly eat through its fuel instead, based on its orbit height and drag cross-section.

By default it was 10x the realistic decay IIRC, so did change gameplay by forcing design considerations, orbit planning, and refueling missions.

Edited by Maeyanie

On 6/7/2019 at 8:52 PM, SilverState said:

As @N70 said, [x]Science and any other science collection automation does not and probably will never work with kerbalism's science without support from the mod authors. There isn;t much we can do on our end, as we use a custom experiment module to be able to do all the fancy stuff, which needs to be accounted for by the mods themselves.

[x]Science still provides info on what's not completed though afaik, so you still have at least some utility from it.

I was doing some testing and can confirm that on a clean 1.7.1 install with just Kerbalism 3.0.2 and [X]Science continued neither the science tracker the [X] Science part nor the Here and now part of the mod function.  Remove Kerbalism and [X] Science works as intended.  Personally, I generally really like the way Kerbalism handles science.  I just wish there was a way to get the experiment track aspect of [X] Science to work.  I was doing a Kerbalism play through on the JNSQ planet pack and was desperate for some science but didn't have any good way to know what biomes/experiments were finished and which ones might have yielded some desperately needed science points.

Edited by Galland1998
editorial

1 hour ago, Galland1998 said:

I was doing some testing and can confirm that on a clean 1.7.1 install with just Kerbalism 3.0.2 and [X]Science continued neither the science tracker the [X] Science part nor the Here and now part of the mod function.  Remove Kerbalism and [X] Science works as intended.  Personally, I generally really like the way Kerbalism handles science.  I just wish there was a way to get the experiment track aspect of [X] Science to work.  I was doing a Kerbalism play through on the JNSQ planet pack and was desperate for some science but didn't have any good way to know what biomes/experiments were finished and which ones might have yielded some desperately needed science points.

You do realize, when science parts are active, as long as there's hard drive space, they'll automatically collect science in areas where they can, right?

And in the RnD building you can view where you HAVE gotten science from.

Edited by N70

2 minutes ago, N70 said:

You do realize, when science parts are active, as long as there's hard drive space, they'll automatically collect science in areas where they can, right?

But Kerbalism's UI does not tell you what you have completed and what you haven't, if you aren't in that location.

I think the issue here is the mission planning in a long career.

A player needs to know what experiments to choose in the planning stage to maximize science. You can't take all experiments on all missions, especially in early game. I used to use [X] science myself for only the 'left to complete' list. 

I do believe a better science check list is required but I don't know if that's a Kerbalism requirement or a better R&D mod.

2 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

The mod orbital decay does this, it's very fun to use. It makes you put fuel on satellites unlike what I currently do. If the probe is high enough in orbit it says it will decay in a few thousand years.

Cool. Off-topic, though.