[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

17 minutes ago, russ0133 said:

Hey... I'm wondering if it's possible to create a "global patch" of sorts for the new science system (and a lot of other things)?

Would this example be possible?
A script would check every modded part in the game, if it is in the "antenna" category (KSP must have part categories right?) then add Kerbalism resources/changes to the part and if necessary to modify the modded part data, use a basic function to set values based on the modded part size/stock parameters. If checking every modded part would be too expensive, maybe we could have a "fix part" option in the VAB/SPH that does it only for that specific part? If there's no part category identifier in KSP maybe you could add a "Fix part" option on right click then the option to select the part category (Science to patch the part as a Kerbalism science experiment Cockpit to patch it as a Kerbalism cockpit...)

Kerbalism already does this to an extent (think habitats and all the resources that go with it)

Please explain in more detail what exactly you're trying to do, and I may give you some tips if I can.

Edited by SilverState

1 hour ago, SilverState said:

Kerbalism already does this to an extent (think habitats and all the resources that go with it)

Please explain in more detail what exactly you're trying to do, and I may give you some tips if I can.

It's just a random idea I had because I don't know if installing science parts that are not patched by Kerbalism would work with the new science system, I didn't see this question answered anywhere so I took a look at kerbalism github but didn't find any code related to this sort of thing. So I can download part mods (science or cockpits or whatever) without breaking Kerbalism?

Edited by russ0133

31 minutes ago, russ0133 said:

It's just a random idea I had because I don't know if installing science parts that are not patched by Kerbalism would work with the new science system, I didn't see this question answered anywhere so I took a look at kerbalism github but didn't find any code related to this sort of thing. So I can download part mods (science or cockpits or whatever) without breaking Kerbalism?

Cockpits and habitats should work. The only thing is new science-parts/experiments. They don`t work, like Coatl`s ProbesPlus.
It would be nice to know how to add such science-parts/Experiment.

Edited by Cheesecake

Question, why is the no difference in radiation when a vessel  is in the shadow (and therefore not be exposed to the solar wind) compaired to when a vessel is in the sun (which blast us with solar energenic particles). Even the presense of a nearby celestral body should have some effect on the galaxtic cosmic radiation, but it doesn't.

Edited by FreeThinker

Question, I'm going to be using Kerbalism and Deep Freeze together in my next playthrough. Deep Freeze recently added background EC processing, will this conflict with Kerbalism's background EC processing?

Do I need to run an experiment to map the magnetosphere of a planet before getting the graphical display of where belts are? Right now the instructions to display are not working for me ( 1.7.2).

I used hyperedit - placed a ship in various distances - to see that i should never place a station between 400-800 km on Kerbin... 

edit: i found the display---- although it would have made sense to only have access to that info if either you measured or observed it 

Edited by pp3d

I'm playing campaign and I just unlocked and purchased the technology for the gravity ring in the research lab. However, it is not anywhere to be found in the VAB (even when searching for the part). Anyone familiar with this issue?

7 hours ago, Sharp12 said:

I'm playing campaign and I just unlocked and purchased the technology for the gravity ring in the research lab. However, it is not anywhere to be found in the VAB (even when searching for the part). Anyone familiar with this issue?

What even more annoying is that filter extension menu is missing completely

Edited by FreeThinker

15 hours ago, Sharp12 said:

Actually I noticed this yesterday as well, I hopped into a sandbox game for a moment to check out the gravity rings (the one from Kerbalism and several from SSPXr and notoced that NONE of them from either mod were in the part list in the VAB. So I switched back over to career and looked in the tech tree and they are located in the tech tree.

This seems to align with what you're seeing.

Is there a way to disable the new science mechanics but keep the data storage, like from the previous versions? coz i downloaded a lot of science mods but cant use them coz of the new mechanics, I love it but unless there's a patch for other science mods I think I'm sticking with just the data storage. thanks a bunch in advance

7 hours ago, TheAnonymous said:

Is there a way to disable the new science mechanics but keep the data storage, like from the previous versions? coz i downloaded a lot of science mods but cant use them coz of the new mechanics, I love it but unless there's a patch for other science mods I think I'm sticking with just the data storage. thanks a bunch in advance

I'm not sure what you would use the data storage for, but science and maybe sciencedialog as should fix it back to the original science system.

https://kerbalism.readthedocs.io/en/latest/settings.html

29 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

It's an issue with the Breaking Grounds DLC and the way ModuleManager handles EVA configs. Fixing that would need an MM update.

Can't believe I've spent all those hours trying to fix this lol, I was sure it would cause me problems later. Is the MM author aware of that?

8 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Is there a way to use the Earth 24 hr clock instead of Kerbin 6  hr clock for LS calculations? I'm so used to the 24-hour clock in planning missions, 6 hr is annoying to switch over to for memorization.

it's a game setting somewhere, you can switch to 24 hour days.

kerbalism is supposed to automatically use whatever rotational period the home body of your system uses. there is a bug in 3.0.2 that doesn't account for that correctly while in the editor, the planner will use 6 or 24 hour days depending on that configuration. The next version will fix that.

16 minutes ago, russ0133 said:

Can't believe I've spent all those hours trying to fix this lol, I was sure it would cause me problems later. Is the MM author aware of that?

yes.

Check this out:

niac_phase2_Magnetospheric_protection.jp

NIAC Phase II Award Funds Spacecraft Radiation Protection Research

An optimal shielding configuration has been realized during the phase I study, and it is referred to as a Magnetospheric Dipolar Torus (MDT). This configuration has the singular ability to deflect the vast majority of the GCR including HZE ions. In addition, the MDT shields both habitat and magnets eliminating the secondary particle irradiation hazard, which can dominate over the primary GCR for the closed magnetic topologies that have been investigated in the past.

MDT shielding also reduces structural, mass and power requirements. For phase II a low cost method for testing shielding on Earth had been devised using cosmic GeV muons as a surrogate for the GCR encountered in space.

During the phase I study MSNW developed 3-D relativistic particle code to evaluate magnetic shielding of GCR and evaluated a wide range of magnetic topologies and shielding approaches from nested tori to large, plasma- based magnetospheric configurations. It was found that by far the best shielding performance was obtained for the MDT configuration.

The plans for phase II include an upgrade of the MSNW particle code to include material activation and a full range of GCR ions and energies. The improved particle code will be employed to characterize and optimize a subscale MDT for shielding GCR-generated muons arriving at the Earth’s surface. The subscale MDT will be designed, built, and then perform several shielding tests using the GCR induced muons at various locations and elevations.

The intent is to the validate MDT concept and bring it to TRL 4. A detailed design will be carried out for the next stage of development employing High Temperature Superconducting Coils and plans for both structures and space habitat. A substantial effort will be made to find critical NASA and commercial aerospace partners for future testing in Phase III to TRL 5.

http://www.parabolicarc.com/2018/04/07/niac-phase-ii-radiation-protection/

This means the Active Radiation shielding and Centrifuge Habitat can be combined

Edit: found some good document about effects of magnetic torus which appently it quite ideal

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~sshepherd/research/Shielding/docs/ToMaSS.pdf

ToMaSS_3D.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey ! 

I like the new science system, BUT, i have one question.

When running experiments, they sometime say "waiting..." and i don't know why, for exemple, i have a MITE satellite, with very short electric charge lifetime, and it keep going "waiting", does it affect my science gains ? if yes, how to stop it from waiting, especially for later longer experiment that i don't want to micromanage ?

Thank you :)

3 minutes ago, Iguas said:

Hey ! 

I like the new science system, BUT, i have one question.

When running experiments, they sometime say "waiting..." and i don't know why, for exemple, i have a MITE satellite, with very short electric charge lifetime, and it keep going "waiting", does it affect my science gains ? if yes, how to stop it from waiting, especially for later longer experiment that i don't want to micromanage ?

Thank you :)

It means the current situation (Space high/low/biome/whatever) is already researched and the sensor is waiting for a new situation to carry on doing it's thing.

As far as the new science stuff goes, i had a couple comments/questions myself.

1) It seems like it breaks science collection contracts because it can't find any valid experiments to run for whatever reason. I'm getting precisely nothing out of the Field Research pack and i'm not even seeing anything with vanilla science contracts turned on.

2) Is there a way to tell how much bandwith you get for data out of any given attenna type? The info i'm seeing in the VAB seems to be looking at vanilla systems which are all 0ed out with the new science/data system on.

12 hours ago, russ0133 said:

I just found a way to fix that without having to wait for a new MM. :D

3 hours ago, ussdefiant said:

As far as the new science stuff goes, i had a couple comments/questions myself.

1) It seems like it breaks science collection contracts because it can't find any valid experiments to run for whatever reason. I'm getting precisely nothing out of the Field Research pack and i'm not even seeing anything with vanilla science contracts turned on.

2) Is there a way to tell how much bandwith you get for data out of any given attenna type? The info i'm seeing in the VAB seems to be looking at vanilla systems which are all 0ed out with the new science/data system on.

1. the stock survey contracts are disabled by kerbalism, and tbh I didn't try the Breaking Grounds contracts yet. so yeah there might be issues.

2. nope, sorry.

14 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

it's a game setting somewhere, you can switch to 24 hour days.

kerbalism is supposed to automatically use whatever rotational period the home body of your system uses. there is a bug in 3.0.2 that doesn't account for that correctly while in the editor, the planner will use 6 or 24 hour days depending on that configuration. The next version will fix that.

Hmm, interesting. I do have the game set to 24 hr days, but in-flight it's 6 hours - caused quite the panic when my returning Mun mission had 6 instead of 24hrs of oxygen left...

Hey I have a question regarding some of the settings in the settings.cfg file in the KerbalismConfig folder.

If I set "Science = false" does this completely disable all features of Kerbalisms feature science?

And under the comms section of the settings, it says for DataRateDampingExponent that rescaled systems will require a smaller value. By default it is set to 6, and I'm using JNSQ which is a 2.7x scale system, what would be the recommended value for that?

6 hours ago, CoriW said:

Hey I have a question regarding some of the settings in the settings.cfg file in the KerbalismConfig folder.

If I set "Science = false" does this completely disable all features of Kerbalisms feature science?

And under the comms section of the settings, it says for DataRateDampingExponent that rescaled systems will require a smaller value. By default it is set to 6, and I'm using JNSQ which is a 2.7x scale system, what would be the recommended value for that?

Science = false will turn off FeatureScience and disable all science related patches: hard drives, experiments, background transmission.

DataRateDampingExponent essentially controls how fast the data rate drops with distance. Realistically, for real solar system scales, you would use 2 here. But the KSP stock sytem is much, much smaller (I think Jool is approximately as far removed from Kerbol as Mercury is from our Sun) so the standard value gives data rates that are too high for what I'd like to call a "deep space experience". We tinkered a lot with the numbers and came up with something that resembles current data rates to Mars and Pluto (looking at MRO and New Horizons). So, using the best antenna in the stock game, Kerbin-Duna should be in the ball park of 500 Kb/s to 4Mb/s (depending on the distance). What I did was cheat a probe into Duna and Eeloo orbit and then adjust the damping exponent until I got what I wanted. I suggest you do the same, maybe start with a value of 4 and then go from there.

1 hour ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Science = false will turn off FeatureScience and disable all science related patches: hard drives, experiments, background transmission.

DataRateDampingExponent essentially controls how fast the data rate drops with distance. Realistically, for real solar system scales, you would use 2 here. But the KSP stock sytem is much, much smaller (I think Jool is approximately as far removed from Kerbol as Mercury is from our Sun) so the standard value gives data rates that are too high for what I'd like to call a "deep space experience". We tinkered a lot with the numbers and came up with something that resembles current data rates to Mars and Pluto (looking at MRO and New Horizons). So, using the best antenna in the stock game, Kerbin-Duna should be in the ball park of 500 Kb/s to 4Mb/s (depending on the distance). What I did was cheat a probe into Duna and Eeloo orbit and then adjust the damping exponent until I got what I wanted. I suggest you do the same, maybe start with a value of 4 and then go from there.

Okay thanks.

One other question, if I have FeatureScience off, does the DataRateDampingExponent affect stock science transmission and signal strength, or is it more intended to tie into the FeatureScience data transmission?