[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

10 hours ago, DR_RDR said:

One other patch item for Station Science I've been meaning to mention.  When I look at my Quark(?) experiments in the planner from KSC, they always say Missing Quarks, even when I have more than enough power for the Cyclotron (ie no battery drain).  But it runs fine when the ship is in focus.

I suspect that this is because the planner isn't picking up the production of StnScience specific resources like Quarks, Eurekas, etc. I had wanted to try adding basic EC -> Quark production to Kerbalism (based on the drill's module,  I did this successfully with some other resources), but I didn't get the chance to try before my playthru bricked.  I think it's a straightforward fix, but.I can't try it out myself anymore...

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?  If it's not just me, hopefully my line of thought makes sense to the brains behind Kerbalism.

Hm. that was an oversight on my part. I patched the Station Science to work with Kerbalism, but apparently I missed the part where the background sim needs to account for the specific processes which generate the resourrces. Your apprroach is correct in a way, I'll fix it soon.

Anyone have any idea why I'm not seeing any EC drain increase when transmitting science data? I tried Kerbalism v2.1.2 (don't want the new science yet) in just my minimal KSP v1.5.1 install:

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_Toolbar
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
CommunityResourcePack
CTTP
CustomAsteroids
CustomBarnKit
Firespitter
HaystackContinued
Kerbalism
Kopernicus
KSA
KSPTOTConnect
MakingLessHistory
ModularFlightIntegrator
OPM
RealisticAtmospheres
Stock folder: Squad
Stock folder: SquadExpansion
TooManyOrbits
TriggerTech
UmbraSpaceIndustries
ZeroMiniAVC
000_KSPe.dll
ModuleManager.3.1.2.dll

And putting a probe core with an antenna and a science instrument out onto the pad and sending the data caused no change to EC usage. I know I've seen this working fine before and I did a check of the MM configcache to see that all the parts had proper modules and everything and the usage rates are defined properly. Looking at the antenna status it always says "idle" even when transmission is ongoing in the data window. I've tried it with RemoteTech 1.9.0 and seen the same thing - no EC drain. Checked my Kerbalism settings, can't see anything that relates to EC usage during transmission. I can't see why any of the mods installed would interfere.

58 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

Try updating or uninstall and reinstall

can't update - I already said I don't want the new science. it's worked before so if anything i should downgrade (I don't need much of Kerbalism's latest features and this is the only bug that's bothered me with it so far over the last year or two). I just downloaded and installed the latest version prior to new science today (was originally on Kerbalism 2.0 when I first noticed the problem).

I tore my install down to just Squad (no expansion), Kerbalism and MM - same results. Just an octo core, comm16 antenna and the atmosphere scoop. No EC change during data transmission. Here's the log if anyone wants a look.

I'm going to try working back a few versions

58 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm going to try working back a few versions

yea okay so I had to go all the way back to my KSP v1.3.1 install with Kerbalism v1.2.9 (shotgunninja) to notice a change in EC usage when transmitting data. I then updated to Kerbalism 1.8.0 using the KSP v1.3.1 compile and built the same probe and saw no EC usage change while transmitting data. Same result on KSP v1.4.5 with Kerbalism v1.9.0

As far as I can tell from the wiki, EC usage increase while transmitting is still a thing, but I find it hard to imagine people haven't noticed it isn't happening for over a year now. Unless that section of the wiki is out of date?

Edited by Drew Kerman

27 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@OOM GameData\KerbalismConfig\Settings.cfg

Thanks, thanks to simple manipulations in the notebook, I finally got rid of this random function. My central nervous system has finally cooled down. ^_^

@Drew Kerman In 3.0+, you may be able to disable the new science system by removing the "KerbalismConfig/System/ScienceRework" folder and renaming the "KerbalismConfig/System/OldScience.cfg.disabled" to "OldScience.cfg". This is untested so it may cause some issues but it should theorically work. Or not.

Data transmission extra EC cost was part of the old pre-CommNet signal system, but wasn't ported over on the CommNet implementation until 3.0.

Edited by Gotmachine

8 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

In 3.0+, you may be able to disable the new science system by removing the "KerbalismConfig/System/ScienceRework" folder and renaming the "KerbalismConfig/System/OldScience.cfg.disabled" to "OldScience.cfg". This is untested so it may cause some issues but it should theorically work. Or not.

this seems to work fine and everything stores and transmits properly but I still don't see any EC usage change during the transmission :(

If the Kerbalism devs do not want to further address this, which would be understandable, I will work up my own solution with kOS reading the PAW to determine whether data is being stored and transmitted by recognizing the decreasing value and toggling a generator that sucks out the appropriate resource amount while transmission is active

Edited by Drew Kerman

I have a separate question, possible issue. How does data rate change when switching ground stations using RemoteTech? See the example below where I'm linked to KSC:

1Ajkly9.png

Then the next second I'm routed through my one of my downrange ground stations and see a massive drop in signal reception:

osdQOp1.png

The signal strength and bitrate gradually increases as I fly over the ground station but never approaches the reception I was getting from KSC.

In the RT config file I have the downrange tracking stations set to only have a range of 500km versus the KSC range of 4Mm. This makes it seem like since I'm closer to the max range of the 500km ground station my bitrate is only a fraction of the KSC ground station. Not sure if this is correct - shouldn't the bitrate falloff depend only on the range of the vessel's antenna since it's the one that is transmitting? More importantly, I can still see KSC, but the Sheltered Rock station has now become closer in distance and that seems to be the only consideration when choosing what station to lock onto rather than which of the ground stations that can be seen offers the best data rate.

This may be due to how things need to work with RemoteTech, but I don't fully understand how things are working in this example and couldn't find any further details in the wiki.

Greetings Kerbalism community!

I am a newcomer to the mod, this version is the very first i use. I have a few things to ask and clarify, if that's okay :

- I've noticed that when your command pod has run out of power, you can't do an EVA report as it says you don't have enough power. It's weird to need power for an EVA report
- I've started a career mode with the mod and saying it's incredible science grindy is quite the understatement, or i'm missing something here. I've done 10+ launches to get all the possible science from the launchpad (straight up flight), but once i've reached orbit, i can't do any more science. If the biome experiments are no more a thing, where can i get enough science to have the tecnology to go to the moon? I've managed to snatch about 100 science so far (with the help of the Money to science conversion).
- A follow up to my previous question is that as an extra layer of difficulty, it's almost mandatory for you to rush the electricity tech to be able to maintain the power needed for experiments. But by doing so it gets harder to collect the necessary science to field bigger rockets, to get science where you still haven't harvested. Isn't it a tad bit too difficult?

I can't wait to get further into it :)

13 hours ago, BlitzimX said:

Greetings Kerbalism community!

I am a newcomer to the mod, this version is the very first i use. I have a few things to ask and clarify, if that's okay :

- I've noticed that when your command pod has run out of power, you can't do an EVA report as it says you don't have enough power. It's weird to need power for an EVA report
- I've started a career mode with the mod and saying it's incredible science grindy is quite the understatement, or i'm missing something here. I've done 10+ launches to get all the possible science from the launchpad (straight up flight), but once i've reached orbit, i can't do any more science. If the biome experiments are no more a thing, where can i get enough science to have the tecnology to go to the moon? I've managed to snatch about 100 science so far (with the help of the Money to science conversion).
- A follow up to my previous question is that as an extra layer of difficulty, it's almost mandatory for you to rush the electricity tech to be able to maintain the power needed for experiments. But by doing so it gets harder to collect the necessary science to field bigger rockets, to get science where you still haven't harvested. Isn't it a tad bit too difficult?

I can't wait to get further into it :)

Maybe this helps: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Science-Tutorial

Read down to the tips section 

19 hours ago, BlitzimX said:...

If you've made it to orbit, the hardest part should be behind you.  There are at least a few experiments that are Biome specific, and while they might not yield a ton of science it should be enough to start unlocking more and more experiments.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:19 PM, Gotmachine said:

@John Nowak @baldamundo What is very likely happening is that you don't have enough drive space to store the full experiment result and less transmission bandwidth than the rate at which data is generated by the experiment(s).

The way to detect that is if that your drives will be full while you are transmitting. The usual solution is to put bigger antennas.

We are aware that you can't know what the antenna data rate is before using it (in the editor / planner), we will add that feature at some point.

Have tested running the same vessel and it can't be a hard drive space issue (unless that's not working in background simulation) - going at high timewarp, it never even used up 5% of its disk space. And running it at high timewarp, the experiments run and transmit just fine (there seems to be a bit of instability with energy production, but once it interrupts timewarp it recharges quickly enough not to interrupt the experiments).

Incidentally, running that craft at high time warp I just had the game freeze for fully five minutes with a whole bunch of Kerbalism/RemoteTech related logspam:

Spoiler

[LOG 20:15:00.244] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.245] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.246] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.248] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[EXC 20:15:00.248] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value)
	KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()
[LOG 20:15:00.876] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.459] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.802] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.902] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Remove TRANSMITTER success.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the problem is not to do with background simulation, it's that the transmission rate sometimes just completely collapses, and it seems to be totally unrelated to the antennas used, relays, etc. Seems completely random.

Edited by baldamundo

@N70 , I'm having some troubles with the new science system. A lot of experiments that take a very long time to complete (ScanSat, DMagic Orbital Science, which can take 100+ days) often reset when the probe data storage capacity is reached or when these experiments have to be paused due to insufficient sunlight. I noticed that these resets happen a lot more often when the vessel is unloaded, and at high time warp. This problem makes it impossible to complete certain experiments. Is there some solution, or is this a known bug?

7 hours ago, Gotmachine said:

@baldamundoRemoteTech support is broken. Consider it incompatible with Kerbalism until further notice.

That's a pain - any ideas of combinations of settings/config hacks/etc to leave it a bit more playable? Am already quite far into this career game.

Btw, what exactly is the logic behind how sample storage works currently? A surface sample from a Kerbal on EVA takes up one slot and weighs 25kg, whereas each of the surface experiments from DMagic's orbital science mod seem to take up about 11 separate slots, despite the total mass of samples being significantly lower than that of the vanilla surface sample. Is it intended behaviour that I need to attach two to four dedicated sample storage containers to each of my landers?

7 hours ago, baldamundo said:

That's a pain - any ideas of combinations of settings/config hacks/etc to leave it a bit more playable? Am already quite far into this career game.

Btw, what exactly is the logic behind how sample storage works currently? A surface sample from a Kerbal on EVA takes up one slot and weighs 25kg, whereas each of the surface experiments from DMagic's orbital science mod seem to take up about 11 separate slots, despite the total mass of samples being significantly lower than that of the vanilla surface sample. Is it intended behaviour that I need to attach two to four dedicated sample storage containers to each of my landers?

Have you researched Miniaturization? There's an upgrade there that gives the storage container more slots.

23 hours ago, aluc24 said:

@N70 , I'm having some troubles with the new science system. A lot of experiments that take a very long time to complete (ScanSat, DMagic Orbital Science, which can take 100+ days) often reset when the probe data storage capacity is reached or when these experiments have to be paused due to insufficient sunlight. I noticed that these resets happen a lot more often when the vessel is unloaded, and at high time warp. This problem makes it impossible to complete certain experiments. Is there some solution, or is this a known bug?

Are you sure it's just not transmitting when you're not looking?

Also plz ask these questions on the discord .-.