[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

So I tried to write my own config in order to get CactEye telescopes working with Kerbalism. You can find it here: https://pastebin.com/dDJVx3GK

It doesn't seem to work though. When taking a picture of the Mun, which should be a CactEyePlanerary experiment, I get the stock science window:

Spoiler

S6bXeFW.png

And as I said before, it won't store my picture because it thinks there's not enough disk space. I do have a hard drive from Tarsier on my vessel, but I guess Kerbalism ignores that?

But also the values shown are wrong. It should be 96 science and 24 Mb in size, not 1 Mits (???) and 24 science...

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.
Replacing Cacteye modules with the Kerbalism ones won't work, you will just break it.

I don't think we can support it in any satisfactory way, but if drive space / file sizes is an issue, you can reduce the dataScale of the Cacteye experiment definitions (the file size in Mb should be baseValue * dataScale).

Its in GameData\CactEye\Resources\ScienceDefs.cfg

You can create a ModuleManager patch to change them.

Well I'm trying to follow this guide: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/TechGuide-~-Supporting-Science-Mods

Interestingly, it didn't break CactEye so far, it seems it hasn't changed at all (not sure about the exact values, though).

But since CactEye seems dead anyway - what about Tarsier? Anybody got that one to work? It would be nice if at least one telescope mod would work with Kerbalism.

Not completely sure what's going on. I had dev branch installed - had some issues, went back to the CKAN installation and started getting this error from MM:

"The Patcher Returned a Null Collection of Configs"
https://puu.sh/EmxWG/4c71397bb0.png

I have tried going back to dev and that didn't help.

Here's what I believe is the relevant part of the log:

Spoiler

[WRN 17:45:52.724] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_FilterExtensions\LN_fix_squad_categories.cfg'.
[WRN 17:45:52.842] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_FilterExtensions_Configs\Default\Mod_AJE.cfg'.
[WRN 17:45:53.143] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ContractConfigurator\Agencies\Agents.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:54.075] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:54.075] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Parts\capacitor250\capacitor-25.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:54.120] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:54.120] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Parts\TankRevamp\EC2501.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:54.138] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:54.138] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Parts\WrapperTank\WrapperTank large.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:54.139] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:54.139] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Parts\WrapperTank\WrapperTank medium.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:54.139] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:54.139] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Parts\WrapperTank\WrapperTank small.cfg'.
[WRN 17:45:58.608] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakScale\Examples.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:59.329] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:59.329] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Control\CrossArcjet\VRNPlus10.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:59.421] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:59.421] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\Bussard\Upgrades.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:59.451] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:59.451] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\KANDL\Upgrades.cfg'.
[ERR 17:45:59.493] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 17:45:59.493] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\NSWR\NSWR2.cfg'.`

Here is the entire log file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oulf2e81icl10to/KSP.log?dl=0

Removing Kerbalism fixes the error. I'm sure this is user error, just not positive what to do. Here is my modlist too if it matters: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd0jrvemszhexdo/modlist.txt?dl=0

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------

Update: I did a clean install with all the same mods and it's working again. No idea what could have caused the issues.

Edited by Wylker

Currently mod is not working properly with Near Future Solar and Near Future Electrical.

As for NFS  : Solar panels remain "occluded by vessel" whilst tracking the sun. Therefor not generating any EC.
As for NFE : Reactors don't seem to generate any EC, and NFE's Reactor Control Panels ain't showing.

Removing Kerbalism from gamedata sorts this issue, but really want to keep using Kerbalism as i like the new game mechanics.

Noticed that dev's are working on it, but if anyone has any hotfixes, would be glad to hear. 

12 hours ago, dxeh said:

Currently mod is not working properly with Near Future Solar and Near Future Electrical.

As for NFS  : Solar panels remain "occluded by vessel" whilst tracking the sun. Therefor not generating any EC.
As for NFE : Reactors don't seem to generate any EC, and NFE's Reactor Control Panels ain't showing.

Removing Kerbalism from gamedata sorts this issue, but really want to keep using Kerbalism as i like the new game mechanics.

Noticed that dev's are working on it, but if anyone has any hotfixes, would be glad to hear. 

The Hotfix for near future solar is to use a dev build, but that’s likely to introduce other bugs. 

There is no fix for near future electrics, and even if there is that would remove the mods own control panel. You can read up on the reasoning on github. There might be a solution some day, but it involves a lot of coding so it will be a while. Depending on available dev time, the KSP2 release date and quality, it very well could be never.

3 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

The Hotfix for near future solar is to use a dev build, but that’s likely to introduce other bugs. 

There is no fix for near future electrics, and even if there is that would remove the mods own control panel. You can read up on the reasoning on github. There might be a solution some day, but it involves a lot of coding so it will be a while. Depending on available dev time, the KSP2 release date and quality, it very well could be never.

Fair enough. Thnx

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Is there a way to tone down or turn off how experiments take a while to complete? Its kinda difficult early game for your barometer to take 15 minutes when you'll be plunging back into the atmosphere in 5

Either build a plane or set your parachutes to open at maximum height. (5000m) A light probe will take time to drift down. You also don't have to complete the experiment in one go. Little bits will eventually return the same science.

I kinda like the possibility of engine failures, however, they seem to happen a bit too often. Also, while I understand that for other parts it makes sense to increase mass in order to decrease the chance of a failure (I read this as "add some redundancy to internal parts"), it doesn't make sense for engines.

It would be nice if we could have better part quality by testing them. Maybe with contracts or something like that. And maybe after an (expensive?) test, the better quality is the default and doesn't necessarily cost more - we just found a better way to produce the part.

Another suggestion: an exploding engine should also rip apart the part next to it, and if that's a tank which is not completely empty, that should also cause some big explosion.

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I kinda like the possibility of engine failures, however, they seem to happen a bit too often. Also, while I understand that for other parts it makes sense to increase mass in order to decrease the chance of a failure (I read this as "add some redundancy to internal parts"), it doesn't make sense for engines.

Good point.

I'll reduce the ignition failure probability, reduce the added mass but will increase the added cost, because...

It would be nice if we could have better part quality by testing them. Maybe with contracts or something like that. And maybe after an (expensive?) test, the better quality is the default and doesn't necessarily cost more - we just found a better way to produce the part.

...maintaining a list of which parts have been tested to what degree won't happen, at least not in Kerbalism. If you want that, there are other mods that do reliability that way (you can disable Kerbalism's in the config files).

Another suggestion: an exploding engine should also rip apart the part next to it, and if that's a tank which is not completely empty, that should also cause some big explosion.

Don't give me ideas, you might regret them..

I'm having an issue with rescue contracts - as soon as I get close enough to interact with the vessel I am supposed to be rescuing someone from I get a message that they died. "Burned Alive", specifically. Is this a result of not getting there in time (45 minutes or so from mission acceptance to an intercept in LKO) or interference with another mod possibly?

1 hour ago, Strait_Raider said:

I'm having an issue with rescue contracts - as soon as I get close enough to interact with the vessel I am supposed to be rescuing someone from I get a message that they died. "Burned Alive", specifically. Is this a result of not getting there in time (45 minutes or so from mission acceptance to an intercept in LKO) or interference with another mod possibly?

In a dev release? Report it as an issue in the GitHub. 3.0.2? Likely a conflict with another mod. I frequently see issues about the rescuee is about to die, during loading, but they are fine 

2 hours ago, mindstalker said:

In a dev release? Report it as an issue in the GitHub. 3.0.2? Likely a conflict with another mod. I frequently see issues about the rescuee is about to die, during loading, but they are fine 

No, it's in the last main release. They die immediately after the message that we have found them. I get "Contact lost with X's ship", "Ship X ran out of Y consumable", "X died".

Edited by Strait_Raider

10 hours ago, Strait_Raider said:

No, it's in the last main release. They die immediately after the message that we have found them. I get "Contact lost with X's ship", "Ship X ran out of Y consumable", "X died".

Are you sure they actually died? If so it's likely a conflict with another mod. Make sure it's not just an errant message though.

Currently working on making Bluedog Design Bureau compatible with Kerbalism's new science system; got a config mostly put together that I'll be posting soon.  I had one question, though:

BDB adds a 'take photograph' experiment which is provided by several different parts.  The earliest camera part can only be recovered as a sample, it cannot be transmitted, with later parts allowing more and more of the data to be transmitted.

What would be the best way to translate that into the Kerbalism science system?  Would I have to make separate experiments for the transmittable and recoverable versions of this experiment, or can I create a single experiment which is recovered as a sample on one part but transmitted as data on another?

10 hours ago, CoyoteBongwater said:

Currently working on making Bluedog Design Bureau compatible with Kerbalism's new science system; got a config mostly put together that I'll be posting soon.

+1

10 hours ago, CoyoteBongwater said:

BDB adds a 'take photograph' experiment which is provided by several different parts.  The earliest camera part can only be recovered as a sample, it cannot be transmitted, with later parts allowing more and more of the data to be transmitted.

What would be the best way to translate that into the Kerbalism science system?  Would I have to make separate experiments for the transmittable and recoverable versions of this experiment, or can I create a single experiment which is recovered as a sample on one part but transmitted as data on another?

In the current release version, you can't reliably do that. However, science changed a lot lately (literally, it's not even in the latest dev build) and that just could make this easier to do, there are new ways to configure things now. I suggest to come onto the discord server to discuss details.

Bildschirmfoto_2019-10-07_um_22.22.58.pn

On 10/6/2019 at 1:33 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

This could be helpful...

* IMG *

So, dev version of Kerbalism now calculates radiation taking into account vessel shape, size and position relative to Sun. It's rather cool feature, and I am looking forward to play with it then 3.1 comes out.

But, my question is: is it possible to implement this feature (radiation ray-tracing?) not only for stars, but also for other radiation emitters, like nuclear reactors or engines, both on active vessel and vessels nearby (inside game physics sphere, for example)?

3 hours ago, Judicator81 said:

is it possible to implement this feature (radiation ray-tracing?) not only for stars, but also for other radiation emitters, like nuclear reactors or engines, both on active vessel and vessels nearby (inside game physics sphere, for example)?

Quoting the New and Noteworthy page on the wiki:

Kerbalism now looks closely at your vessel and where you place radioactive parts. If you build vessels with nuclear engines or reactors, make sure to put those components at the maximum possible distance from your habitats to minimize the amount of radiation to your crew. Also watch out on EVA missions: getting too close to a NERV engine will inflict considerable radiation on your kerbal!