[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

On 10/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, mindstalker said:

Are you sure they actually died? If so it's likely a conflict with another mod. Make sure it's not just an errant message though.

Yes, they definitely died. Maybe it's a RemoteTech issue, although I can't quite think of why that would kill Kerbals/Craft.

Another question/suggestion on engine failures: As I stated before, it happens way too often. I'm not sure though, if that is just unbalanced or due to a bug. Shouldn't it happen about 1% of the time? For me, trying to launch a Falcon 9 from Tundra Exploration, it seems to fail every time. Maybe not at launch, but at the latest during the boostback or reentry burn.

Also, it would be nice if we could have a redundancy factor for engines. The engine for TE's F9 booster is a cluster of 9 engines as a single part. The real F9 can safely launch with up to 2 failed engines. Would it be possible to emulate that with accordingly reduced thrust instead of 100% working vs. total failure?

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Another question/suggestion on engine failures: As I stated before, it happens way too often. I'm not sure though, if that is just unbalanced or due to a bug. Shouldn't it happen about 1% of the time? For me, trying to launch a Falcon 9 from Tundra Exploration, it seems to fail every time. Maybe not at launch, but at the latest during the boostback or reentry burn.

Also, it would be nice if we could have a redundancy factor for engines. The engine for TE's F9 booster is a cluster of 9 engines as a single part. The real F9 can safely launch with up to 2 failed engines. Would it be possible to emulate that with accordingly reduced thrust instead of 100% working vs. total failure?

I think you are supposed to cluster your own engines to provide your own failsafes.

11 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

The current configuration for engine ignition failures was at about 1.7% - or 1/4th of that for high quality - engine failures *per ignition*. It has since been reduced to less (0.7% I think, but don't quote me on that).

That said, I just added a slider that lets you adjust the ignition failure probability in the Kerbalism preferences, that way you can either decrease or increase the probability without having to go through the config files. Bildschirmfoto_2019-10-10_um_08.33.10.pn

11 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

No. The engine either fails or it doesn't, reducing max thrust on failure sounds interesting, but adds quite a bit of complexity.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, baldamundo said:

Have tested running the same vessel and it can't be a hard drive space issue (unless that's not working in background simulation) - going at high timewarp, it never even used up 5% of its disk space. And running it at high timewarp, the experiments run and transmit just fine (there seems to be a bit of instability with energy production, but once it interrupts timewarp it recharges quickly enough not to interrupt the experiments).

Incidentally, running that craft at high time warp I just had the game freeze for fully five minutes with a whole bunch of Kerbalism/RemoteTech related logspam:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 20:15:00.244] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.245] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT.Init (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.AntennaInfoRT..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.RemoteTech.RTCommInfoHandler (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel v) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
  at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KERBALISM.API+CommInfo.Init (KERBALISM.AntennaInfo antennaInfo, .Vessel pv) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
[LOG 20:15:00.246] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.247] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[LOG 20:15:00.248] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: CommInfo.Init - Kerbalism: CommInfo handler threw exception Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
[EXC 20:15:00.248] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.Guid,KERBALISM.Vessel_info].Add (Guid key, KERBALISM.Vessel_info value)
	KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()
[LOG 20:15:00.876] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.459] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.802] [Kerbalism]  -> verbose: DeployedScienceExperiment_SendDataToComms.Prefix - SendDataToComms!: Surface Deployed Mystery Goo Observations from The Mun's surface
[LOG 20:15:01.902] [RemoteTech] ModuleRTAntennaPassive: Remove TRANSMITTER success.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the problem is not to do with background simulation, it's that the transmission rate sometimes just completely collapses, and it seems to be totally unrelated to the antennas used, relays, etc. Seems completely random.

Having just run up against this problem, I was wondering if the devs are aware of it?  I've noticed that many experiments take inordinate amounts of time to process in the BG, which can only be partially attributed to bandwidth and power availability.  The nail in the coffin for me was running seismic scans on the moon which just would not progress if the vessel wasn't active.  Kerbalism would show the vessel power correctly, but not that it had a connection to KSC, when it was in the background.  Upon switching to the vessel, it immediately connected and began transmitting.  This turned a couple of (optimally) 14-day scans into a 300+ day endeavor, due to legitimate power outages and these illegitimate comnet blackouts.

I just checked my KSP log, there's a fair bit of these messages throughout - not sure if they're related or not.

Spoiler

[ERR 21:25:59.212] Exception handling event onVesselChange in class RPMVesselComputer:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.HardDrive.GetData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.FetchPerPartData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.UpdateVariables () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.onVesselChange (.Vessel who) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 21:25:59.212] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.HardDrive.GetData ()
    JSI.RPMVesselComputer.FetchPerPartData ()
    JSI.RPMVesselComputer.UpdateVariables ()
    JSI.RPMVesselComputer.onVesselChange (.Vessel who)
    EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
    FlightGlobals:setActiveVessel(Vessel, Boolean)
    FlightGlobals:SetActiveVessel(Vessel)
    ShipConstruction:AssembleForLaunch(ShipConstruct, String, String, String, Game, VesselCrewManifest, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Orbit, Boolean, Boolean)
    ShipConstruction:AssembleForLaunch(ShipConstruct, String, String, String, Game, VesselCrewManifest)
    FlightDriver:setStartupNewVessel()
    FlightDriver:Start()

Edited by TicTac
Added log snippet

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Having just run up against this problem, I was wondering if the devs are aware of it?

Most of it, yes. And most is already fixed in the current dev builds (use at your own risks, they're largely untested and can be buggy).

That said, any problem related to RemoteTech won't be fixed for the foreseeable future, so at this point I have to recommend not to RT with Kerbalism.

I've noticed that many experiments take inordinate amounts of time to process in the BG

^ That one's fixed

[ERR 21:25:59.212] Exception handling event onVesselChange in class RPMVesselComputer:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KERBALISM.HardDrive.GetData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.FetchPerPartData () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.UpdateVariables () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at JSI.RPMVesselComputer.onVesselChange (.Vessel who) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I have no idea what JSI.RPMVesselComputer is or what it does. Do you know which mod that is from?

7 hours ago, pp3d said:

DMagic's XRD Surface Analyzer has a requirement for "Planetary Space" instead of "Surface" under Kerbalism?  Let me rephrase -- is it Kerbalism's doing

That's a good one - I'll look into it :)

@Sir Mortimer

I'm not using remote tech, just the stock comnet for what it's worth.  I'm glad to hear that BG processing is ironed out in the dev build! 

If that error is not from Kerbalism, then I'm not entirely sure...  "RPM..." makes me think it could be Persistent Rotation, but that's just a guess.  My log is extremely bloated with what looks like Contract Configurator messages, so it's hard to sift through - that snippet showed up a few times and was the most relevant looking result when I searched for Kerbalism, apologies if it's not useful. 

[EDIT] Looking into it a bit more, it seems like RPM is Raster Prop Monitor - My mistake.

Edited by TicTac

17 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Most of it, yes. And most is already fixed in the current dev builds (use at your own risks, they're largely untested and can be buggy).

That said, any problem related to RemoteTech won't be fixed for the foreseeable future, so at this point I have to recommend not to RT with Kerbalism.

^ That one's fixed

I have no idea what JSI.RPMVesselComputer is or what it does. Do you know which mod that is from?

That's a good one - I'll look into it :)

That's a good one - I'll look into it: ---> from the its cfg file: customFailMessage = This instrument is only suitable for surface based observations.

so planetary space requirement makes it unusable... 

thanks for looking into it

On 9/18/2019 at 11:01 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

We pretty much abandoned support of RemoteTech. It still has support code in Kerbalism, and it works to a degree, but starting from the next version you will get a warning message if you have RemoteTech installed.

The main reason for this is that none of the active contributors had been using RT for a while, so it is not being looked after. We get issues regarding RT but noone willing to look into them, and in my opinion it is better to let the player know up front that he's using something that might not work very well instead of letting him find out later in the game.

On top of that, the folks at RealismOverhaul have two different alternatives to RT that both seem to work well with Kerbalism and don't come with some of the baggage RT comes with.

So if RT is not really supported, then what can I use instead for non RO play?

Just now, Sir Mortimer said:

The stock comms. They actually are quite good.

Yeah, except that relay mechanism, which makes it very difficult to use small antennas on rovers with relay in orbit... RT handled that so much better than stock.

What about latency ? I'm a RT user, still with dev Kerbalism. To be honnest I don't see limitation with it. I've noticed that vessel are displayed has "connected" in manager, but with no transmission capability. Also, I can use Kerbalism Script with unconnected vessel, but I just don't use it to avoid cheating.

For what it worth, I think RemoteTech is still usable now, and I enjoy high latency communication, which push me to write some script in kOS.

It's been a while since I played, so let me get the follow straight.

The following mods no longer play nice with Kerbalism.

Near Future Electrical (is it just the Electrical or ALL the NF stuff?)

Remote Tech.

Deep Freeze.

Raster Prop Monitor (which I use for the IVA mods like Aset IVA).

before anyone asks about 1.8 support: it probably works, you just gotta copy or rename the Shaders/17 folder to Shaders/18, and copy or rename Kerbalism17.kbin to Kerbalism18.kbin

no guarantees, but i've heard it works

Edited by N70

I have a question to engine failures. I want to use Kerbalism in my new KSP 1.7.3 game with Real Fuels stockalike. I used RF without limited ignitions and engine instabilities or failures. Does Kerbalism couples correctly to RF modified engines?

One more question to ask. I've found this release notes here: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Which is the latest stable release 3.0.2 or 3.0.3?

Edited by New Horizons

2 hours ago, New Horizons said:

I have a question to engine failures. I want to use Kerbalism in my new KSP 1.7.3 game with Real Fuels stockalike. I used RF without limited ignitions and engine instabilities or failures. Does Kerbalism couples correctly to RF modified engines?

One more question to ask. I've found this release notes here: https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Which is the latest stable release 3.0.2 or 3.0.3?

If you want to use engine failures, you need the latest dev version. At this point I'd recommend using that version over the latest release anyway, since there is so much fixed in it and not many known issues, none of which are serious.

You can get the latest stable release version from GitHub or CKAN, dev builds can be found here.