[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

2 hours ago, AzraelDR said:

I'm about to start a career game with Kerbalism and would like to use the recently updated Stockalike Station Parts Redux. Are these two mods compatible, particularly the life support elements?

Kerbalism supports the SSPX parts, using Kerbalism's life support system.

https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/Home-~-Mod-Support

15 minutes ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

My parachutes are not working. This is the only mod I have that appears to change the chutes' functionality. I have restock and several other things but I doubt they would cause this issue.

"Not working" how? Kerbalism does add part failure chance.

Weird I do non of that and just overengineer the ship, brute forcing my way forward, practically never used the waste or water recycler as I have no use yet, just pack in resources and/or mine. 

I am in LOVE with the new engine ignition limitations, and need for engineers to repair and inspect. This has changed everything and made mission designing a whole other challenge and really fun, especially landing. I have some issues however, I think that if I have just 2 ignitions left and I go inspect the engine, that my kerbal should be able to repair it, right now they can only repair it when the engines ignitions are at 0. 

I over engineered this Starship inspired craft for Duna. It can successfully land and return home to  Kerbin even with losing 3 engines, have 2 engine failures and have limited ignitions. I REALLY enjoy the engine ignition limit, I cannot state it enough! I attached the engines to the robotic parts to be able to extend for inspection and repair, this way of thinking, this makes missions no longer so static and boring, this makes it all feel like a real space program. I am REALLY proud of you guys work and really appreciative.

Link to video: https://m.facebook.com/groups/533845020006170?view=permalink&id=2618291831561468

Link to more pics: https://thedoctor117.imgur.com/all

Link to craft: https://kerbalx.com/The-Doctor/Ares

eyCFp5C.png

09vrvB0.png

ZsCxu5Q.png

@JadeOfMaar what'd you think? 

cvhAm9t.png

Edited by The-Doctor

Hi,

i love this mod for many reasons already quoted in this long post, new science is at first a bit ruff, but if you get into it, it grows on you and you wonder : "am i up to the challenge ?"

long story short : kerbalism is exellent work ! thx to all keeping this mod so good

But ! (i know there is always a but)

it occur to me that science should be sorted by celestial body and not type of experiment, or maybe if we may have the choice in that matter it would be helpfull.

(idk for you guys but mission planning is crushing my soul each time i've to check if i've done this or that on moho, eve, or else.)

anyway if it can help devs to improve i'd be glad, in the mean time i'll keep enjoying this mod ! :)
happy launching to all !

Edited by Deltaseb
typo

Kerbalism is awesome, but I have EC consumed: 12/s for "communications (control)" for any probe or capsule (KSP 1.8.1, Kerbalism 3.1 + CommunityResourcePack 1.3 & Module Manager 4.0.3).

I never installed ResearchBodies (I have read the FAQs) . My only other mods are KER and Waypoint manager. I did a test by removing these 2, just in case, so I started a  a new game that had only Kerbalism, KerbalismConfig and the required CommunityResourcePack and Module Manager. It didn't help, still 12 EC/s. Even by removing CommunityResourcePack and Module Manager and leaving only Kerbalism + KerbalismConfig (and Squad) in the Gamedata folder, it's still 12 EC/s.

What else can I try? Any idea?

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Knyx said:

Kerbalism is awesome, but I have EC consumed: 12/s for "communications (control)" for any probe or capsule (KSP 1.8.1, Kerbalism 3.1 + CommunityResourcePack 1.3 & Module Manager 4.0.3).

I never installed ResearchBodies (I have read the FAQs) . My only other mods are KER and Waypoint manager. I did a test by removing these 2, just in case, so I started a  a new game that had only Kerbalism, KerbalismConfig and the required CommunityResourcePack and Module Manager. It didn't help, still 12 EC/s. Even by removing CommunityResourcePack and Module Manager and leaving only Kerbalism + KerbalismConfig (and Squad) in the Gamedata folder, it's still 12 EC/s.

What else can I try? Any idea?

Thank you.

CKAN metadata is telling me that MM 4.0.3 works with up to KSP 1.7.90; 4.1.1 is the latest. Try updating MM?

31 minutes ago, Knyx said:

Even by removing CommunityResourcePack and Module Manager and leaving only Kerbalism + KerbalismConfig (and Squad) in the Gamedata folder, it's still 12 EC/s.

You won't be vey happy with ModuleManager removed, you absolutely need that.

This will probably be tough to troubleshoot on the forums. Could you join the discord server (see OP) and ask there?

Updated Ares, Class, The Ares Class advanced. New elevator to access the surface and the engines are on pistons to enable repairs after landing.

Link to craft: https://kerbalx.com/The-Doctor/Ares-Class-Advanced  

Link to video https://m.facebook.com/groups/533845020006170?view=permalink&id=2619377994786185

Link to the development pics https://thedoctor117.imgur.com/all

v6OAowa.png

DxdO4SD.png

3 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Updated Ares, Class, The Ares Class advanced. New elevator to access the surface and the engines are on pistons to enable repairs after landing.

Link to craft: https://kerbalx.com/The-Doctor/Ares-Class-Advanced  

Link to video https://m.facebook.com/groups/533845020006170?view=permalink&id=2619377994786185

Link to the development pics https://thedoctor117.imgur.com/all

For some reason the craft and dev links dont work @The_Doctor Maybe its me but I get a fail on both of them?

4 minutes ago, Saturn5tony said:

For some reason the craft and dev links dont work @The_Doctor Maybe its me but I get a fail on both of them?

Try going on kerbalx and typing Ares Class Advanced, here it is again it should be working as others have downloaded it 

https://kerbalx.com/The-Doctor/Ares-Class-Advanced

Im not too sure what's wrong with imgur, I'm working on it

4 hours ago, Saturn5tony said:

Thanks buddy, yea the kerbalx was on my older PC so that was me, but like you noticed the imgur link still is a prob. Sorry bout that!

unfortunately there's nothing I can do with imgur besides uploading all my stuff again, not just the devs ships but maybe all cause I noticed most are hidden

27 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

unfortunately there's nothing I can do with imgur besides uploading all my stuff again, not just the devs ships but maybe all cause I noticed most are hidden

Wow what is it with these picture websites, It was a major issue one of them stopping everything at the last moment. I know its monetary costs but really, no one can afford that.

10 hours ago, lordcirth said:

CKAN metadata is telling me that MM 4.0.3 works with up to KSP 1.7.90; 4.1.1 is the latest. Try updating MM?

Right! I downloaded MM directly from https://github.com/sarbian/ModuleManager/releases I didn't see 4.1.1 there. So I guess I didn't install the right stuff. However, now I downloaded it from the forum. Thank you :)

9 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

You won't be vey happy with ModuleManager removed, you absolutely need that.

This will probably be tough to troubleshoot on the forums. Could you join the discord server (see OP) and ask there?

Thank you you too! It seemed that updating MM fixed it. Now the Mk1 module for example consumes 0.044/s (it shows the climatization and scrubber too, it didn't before) while the "communication (control)" is now correctly 0.012/s instead of 12/s.

*thumbs up*

Hey all,

I have been eyeing Kerbalism for a long time now and finally took the plunge and started a career with it and I am loving it! I am especially in love with the science system. It is exactly what it should have always been!

My question is, how can I calculate the data rate of a given antenna in the VAB? The antenna modules seem to retain their vanilla descriptions with packet size (which is usually zeroed out) and a bandwidth in mits(?) per second. Is there a conversion formula between mits and bits? Can I assume that if I have full signal strength in commnet UI, that I will get full bandwidth for transmission? And finally is there a formula to calculate bandwidth from signal strength?

Thanks a lot to the mod makers for the awesome mod itself and anyone for answers to my questions!

2 hours ago, canisin said:

My question is, how can I calculate the data rate of a given antenna in the VAB? The antenna modules seem to retain their vanilla descriptions with packet size

Good to hear you like it :)

As for antennas: currently there is no way to plan or estimate Kerbalism data rates in the VAB. There was some discussion about that a while ago, it might be added at some point, but until then you fare best when you adhere to the following tips:

For anything that is not within the Kerbin system, always use the strongest antenna you can get your hands on - it will still be too slow. Especially at Jool and beyond. Add as much data storage as possible on your probes, that way you can gather as much science as possible while you have only limited time while exposed to a new situation, f.i. in a flyby that will collect data within hours but needs weeks to transmit it all.

Redundancy. Add a second antenna, and make them high quality. You don't want to send a probe all the way to Eeloo only to see the antenna fail shortly before entering its SOI. And try to avoid sending interplanetary probes during times of high solar activity, especially when operating in closer proximity to the sun (like on Eve or Moho). Radiation is damaging to data transmitters.

Don't mix antenna types, or at least if you do, don't activate the weaker antennas while transmitting data. Having weak and strong antennas at the same time will increase your range a bit, but it will also decrease the data rate.

Hey! Thanks for the explanation.

"it will still be too slow" -> this, tbh. :)

I haven't gone interplanetary yet, it was just that I had noticed that all of the DMagic Orbital Science experiments had experiment durations in months, so I whipped up a large probe, put a few DM experiments, a pair of ScanSAT scanners and all the unmanned Kerbalism science that I have access to! This probe at least a year in LKO before it could transmit all the LKO science that it could gather. A year! :D

But, I also made the mistake of including two different types of antenna on this craft, so I'll go back and see how the transmission rates will improve if I retract the red whip antennas that I had there just for looks.

16 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Don't mix antenna types

I noticed :) I docked a lander with a Communotron 16-S to a station and saw the data rate drop dramatically. There's no way to disable a non-retractable antenna, right?

On another mission, I sent a relay carrier (3x3 RA-2) along with some science experiments. The data rate was no problem. The power drain of 9 antennas was. I eventually disabled all but one data transmitter module in persistent.sfs

Edited by HansAcker

4 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

I noticed :) I docked a lander with a Communotron 16-S to a station and saw the data rate drop dramatically. There's no way to disable a non-retractable antenna, right?

On another mission, I sent a relay carrier (3x3 RA-2) along with some science experiments. The data rate was no problem. The power drain of 9 antennas was. I eventually disabled all but one data transmitter module in persistent.sfs

I think combining antennas increases range but not data rate.

@Sir Mortimer Can confirm I'm sure.