N70

[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

Recommended Posts

I am trying to understand the new science system - not an easy task. I want to have support for Sounding Rockets mod. Is there an easy way to fit out command modules with data storage to have a start here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New Horizons said:

I am trying to understand the new science system - not an easy task. I want to have support for Sounding Rockets mod. Is there an easy way to fit out command modules with data storage to have a start here?

Soon.

 

In all seriousness, I have the issue on github, I'll get to it eventually.

Edited by SilverState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SilverState said:

Soon.

 

In all seriousness, I have the issue on github, I'll get to it eventually.

Nice to hear that. Thank you. Figuring out how science work in Kerbalism, gives me a sense of how incredible the system is made. Congrats to all participants!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far so good and loving this new science system..

But somehow it ain't compatible with UniversalStorage2 science parts.
When having an US2 payload bay equiped with science part. kerbalism can activate them but doesnt run it because their are "Shrouded", while the actual science part is being deployed and reaches OUTSIDE the payload bay.

Any way to get this corrected?
Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

What should the effect of weakness be?

bone weakness leading to increased stress, or injury that makes them unable to do work, only a scientist acting as a medic could heal them over time, without gravity for a long time they die. Having the parts rotate using the stock robotics would generate gravity that prevents this or could simply have this effect disabled once a scientist is there, thus acting as a doctor or adding a centrifuge to one of the parts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

bone weakness leading to increased stress, or injury that makes them unable to do work, only a scientist acting as a medic could heal them over time, without gravity for a long time they die. Having the parts rotate using the stock robotics would generate gravity that prevents this or could simply have this effect disabled once a scientist is there, thus acting as a doctor or adding a centrifuge to one of the parts

Lack of gravity already increases stress. I don't see what adding this extra mechanic gains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! Let me start by saying that Kerbalism is my favorite mod and this new science system almost made me quit, almost! Eventually i went through the learning curve and i'm loving it now.

The thing is that i also love RemoteTech and something strange is happening. When i lose connection (as remotetech says) kerbalism keeps saying thats at 100%... am i missing something?!

Thank you!

KSP.log https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhIteTf-WrDZkM0QNWNSd7jIdqwEKQ

kmk1Yqq.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how does one do the "focused observation" contracts with this installed?  Say I have a contract to get a pressure reading flying above 19 K meters at location AB-CD.  I put a barometer on a rocket and send it on its way.  The ballistics don't keep the capsule over the site long enough to complete the measurement, but the contract doesn't complete when I start the measurement.

What am I missing / doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tryna find documentation on the readdocs site for kerbalism to understand how the realism overhaul config works, can someone forward me where I could find such

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm tryna find documentation on the readdocs site for kerbalism to understand how the realism overhaul config works, can someone forward me where I could find such

I doubt there's any docs on the configs. I built that mess, and Standecco adapted it for RO. I don't know his forum name, but you can either ping him on RO discord, or on Kerbalism's (@Standecco)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other question - if I wanted to make Kerbalism and Interkosmos work together (the Interkosmos devices currently fail with "not enough storage"), where would I start?  Based on what I've seen, that would be one or more config files - would they go under Kerbalism or under Interkosmos?  Or does that even matter?  And where would I find a good guide on how to tackle that?

Edited by Krymson Skorpyon
Added a follow-up question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

One other question - if I wanted to make Kerbalism and Interkosmos work together (the Interkosmos devices currently fail with "not enough storage"), where would I start?  Based on what I've seen, that would be one or more config files - would they go under Kerbalism or under Interkosmos?  Or does that even matter?  And where would I find a good guide on how to tackle that?

See the post above yours, specifically:

5 hours ago, SilverState said:

I doubt there's any docs on the configs

For non RO Kerbalism, those are my configs, and there's no guide. The configs were provided in a "this should work" state, but they definitely need polish, especially documentation. If you're not familiar with them and try to patch something related to Kerbalism science (hard drives included), you'll probably have quite a few head scratches trying to figure out why the values you're setting are not the ones ingame.

I would assume you get parts with 512kb of storage (that's the default for non-patched mods), therefore, if you want to change those values, you'd have to target each part individually. I had some ideas regarding global patching based on cost and unlock tech, but it makes everything bland and causes a lot more trouble in the long run than it's worth.

If you decide to patch these yourself, make a new .cfg file, and stick it anywhere inside GameData folder.

Your patches should look something like this:

Quote

@PART[PartNameGoesHere]:NEEDS[Interkosmos,FeatureScience]:FOR[Kerbalism]

{

  @MODULE[HardDrive]

  {

    %dataCapacity = 4958673098546730984576930485                 // <- your desired data storage size in MB

    %sampleCapacity = 4589673048567309857603985                  // <- your desired sample capacity in slots.

  }

}

And so on for each individual part. (EDIT: they don't need to be in a separate .cfg, you can do all of them in a single file)

Don't go overboard with base values for dataCapacity and sampleCapacity, as they get hit by a series of upgrades based on their initial values.

Namely, for data capacity:

>2 -> x2

>16 -> x8

>64 -> x128

>512 -> x1024

and for sample capacity:

>2 -> x3

>5 -> x6

>8 -> x12

these are multipliers, non additive.

 

Edit: This is a very basic way to patch the drives. It works, but it's not consistent with how i did it in the provided configs with Kerbalism.

Edited by SilverState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so what's up with Kerbalism's science amount changes?  I read the documentation on their site, and I didn't see anything about changing how much science you get from a particular experiment.  What did I miss?

test protocol:
    Flea booster, Mk 1 command pod, mystery goo
    ran experiments at three launch sites, in water, in the desert and in grasslands
    observed goo and took crew report at all six locations
    spent nothing

With kerbalism:
    21.4 science
    112057 kerbal bucks
    
without kerbalism:
    43.5 science
    121863 kerbal bucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi there!
my question would be.... i just started a carrier with kerbalism.
i can not gather/ transmit science at all.
im told, i have no hard drive to do it.
while i have an experiment storage unit, and in the research tree i dont see any hard drives. anyone can tell me, how can i store/transmit science?
yes, i have a excrementsload of mods, but i tested it, without kerbalism, the transmit/stoe works, but if i put back the 2 kerbalism folder, it doesnt.
thanks in advance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

Never mind - found it with the assistance of the Facebook KSP group.

There was a "rebalance". We made stuff harder. All patched experiments were given new values, we messed with biomes/situations and a whole bunch of other stuff. It will be similar with all future patched mods.

There's an idea in the works that will dynamically rebalance experiments based on what mods you have installed, but no promises. It's proving quite the headache.

We also remove duplicates - functionally identical experiments get nuked, and only one remains. In general, there's a lot less science to go around, we're trying to force you to explore.

If you don't like the changes, there's the slider ingame, or go into tweakables folder and tweak there to your liking.

Edited by SilverState

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there something that needs to be done before undocking two pressurised parts? Do I need to disable crossfeed first? It would seem disconnecting a pod from a station causes the station to depressurise, draining the entire station of nitrogen in a matter of minutes and killing everyone onboard... Which took me completely off guard and I'm a little miffed about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can DMagic's Laser Surface Scan be a sample? It literally just puffs a laser onto surface and looks at the spectrum, but instead it tries to dig a huge chunk of rock according to it's mass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It vaporizes a lot of rock that is later studied in an atomic spectrometer. :lol:

Edited by Tacombel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Notepad said:

Is there something that needs to be done before undocking two pressurised parts? Do I need to disable crossfeed first? It would seem disconnecting a pod from a station causes the station to depressurise, draining the entire station of nitrogen in a matter of minutes and killing everyone onboard... Which took me completely off guard and I'm a little miffed about it.

That shouldn't happen. Was this the mk1 pod? It is unpressurized, so undocking it should cause the station to start draining nitrogen to repressurize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dana goodeye said:

hi there!
my question would be.... i just started a carrier with kerbalism.
i can not gather/ transmit science at all.
im told, i have no hard drive to do it.
while i have an experiment storage unit, and in the research tree i dont see any hard drives. anyone can tell me, how can i store/transmit science?
yes, i have a excrementsload of mods, but i tested it, without kerbalism, the transmit/stoe works, but if i put back the 2 kerbalism folder, it doesnt.
thanks in advance :)

What pod are you using? mk1 comes with a harddrive.  I'm not sure, if the Making History circular pods come with harddrives.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

What pod are you using? mk1 comes with a harddrive.  I'm not sure, if the Making History circular pods come with harddrives.

 

 

17 hours ago, dana goodeye said:

hi there!
my question would be.... i just started a carrier with kerbalism.
i can not gather/ transmit science at all.
im told, i have no hard drive to do it.
while i have an experiment storage unit, and in the research tree i dont see any hard drives. anyone can tell me, how can i store/transmit science?
yes, i have a excrementsload of mods, but i tested it, without kerbalism, the transmit/stoe works, but if i put back the 2 kerbalism folder, it doesnt.
thanks in advance :)

Mindstalker, I just saw your post and checked the three Making History round capsules for harddrives: the onion (1 seat) pea (2 seater) and pomegranite (3 seater) come with HDDs of capacity 634kb, 891kB, 13.56MB (and 1, 2, and 2 sample slots) respectively.

 

Dana Goodeye, have you tried the other way on mod removal for testing? Rather than remove kerbalism, and find function, see if a neat kerbalism install works and then add in the other mods to see which one causes the loss of function? I have an item (the gravity ring) that doesn't work in Kerbalism, and have tracked it down to apparently KIS/KAS that seems to be interfering with it (causing it to not appear in the VAB parts cupboard) through this method. It is a painstaking task, but recommended as you have indicated an apparently large number of other mods in your system.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards

P&BH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm enjoying the mod a lot. The new approach to Science is interesting, and a big challenge. I suspect survey contracts will need to be tweaked for short duration experiments, but that's an ongoing problem when Mod A is set up without considering Mod B, which is not always possible.

Unfortunately, ScanSat and the KDex Dust Experiment mods don't seem to be supported at this time.

I'm looking forward to seeing a guide on how to write the configuration files, so the community can start filling these gaps. Is there any place to upload these as they're written?

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lordcirth said:

That shouldn't happen. Was this the mk1 pod? It is unpressurized, so undocking it should cause the station to start draining nitrogen to repressurize.

It was. I suppose that would explain it. I guess I was confused because I had pretty much the exact same situation on an earlier station and it didn't occur. So how might I dock & undock that pod without depressurising the rest of the station?

Edited by Notepad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lordcirth said:

That shouldn't happen. Was this the mk1 pod? It is unpressurized, so undocking it should cause the station to start draining nitrogen to repressurize.

Not sure if I follow.

If you dock an unpressurized pod to a space station, I'd expect the station to depressurize.

If you undock an unpressurized pod from a space station, I'd expect the station to retain pressure.

Did you type undock when you meant dock?

 

47 minutes ago, Notepad said:

It was. I suppose that would explain it. I guess I was confused because I had pretty much the exact same situation on an earlier station and it didn't occur. So how might I dock & undock that pod without depressurising the rest of the station?

Not to jump in, but the first thing I'd try is disabling the crossfeed on the docking port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.