N70

[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

Recommended Posts

I finally reached the tech node to unlock mining and the ISRU chemical plant. I'm not sure how to set up a refueling operation on Minmus, yet. With the ISRU processes, I can get most of the way with just mining for Water and Nitrogen. But where do I get the missing CO2 on an unmanned mission?

Hydrogen + CO2 -> Liquid Fuel + Water
Hydrogen + Oxygen -> Oxidizer
Oxidizer + Ammonia -> Monopropellant + Oxygen + Water

Hydrogen + Nitrogen -> Ammonia

Water -> Hydrogen + Oxygen

Looking through the process definitions, the "Radiation Detox Unit" produces CO2 from Oxygen and EC. Does that work without any sick Kerbals on board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HansAcker said:

I finally reached the tech node to unlock mining and the ISRU chemical plant. I'm not sure how to set up a refueling operation on Minmus, yet. With the ISRU processes, I can get most of the way with just mining for Water and Nitrogen. But where do I get the missing CO2 on an unmanned mission?

You're way ahead of me, I've never gotten to the point where I can put a mining station anywhere but right besides the launch pad :D

You can get CO2 from Ore, see here. There also is a chart with all processes that exist in Kerbalism at the top of that page.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, qwert13357 said:

I don't have ResearchBodies installed though. Kerbalism and Realplume are the only mods I have aside from DLC.

Did you install via CKAN? In order for Kerbalism to work, you need Module Manager and Community Resource Pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

Did you install via CKAN? In order for Kerbalism to work, you need Module Manager and Community Resource Pack.

I installed both through Github but I'll try doing it through CKAN.

Edit: Nvm, still has the same EC drain issue.

Edited by qwert13357
Clarification on issues with mods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

So I am in the infancy of my hard mode career playthrough and just noticed that my pilot was able to repair an engine that failed. However in the wiki it is mentioned than only engineers can do so. That kind of saved my first mun mission so not gonna complain but can I assume it will always be the case or did I miss something?

also I am wondering what are scientists used for in kerbalism? Since it is mentioned that Goo and Meterial bay can’t be rest once depleted what value would a scientist bring to a mission beyond manning the lab?

love the headache around planning manned mission it’s awesome!

playing ksp 1.7.3 with scansat, restock and +, kac, transfer window planner, kis and kas.

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IceCube said:

Hi all,

So I am in the infancy of my hard mode career playthrough and just noticed that my pilot was able to repair an engine that failed. However in the wiki it is mentioned than only engineers can do so. That kind of saved my first mun mission so not gonna complain but can I assume it will always be the case or did I miss something?

also I am wondering what are scientists used for in kerbalism? Since it is mentioned that Goo and Meterial bay can’t be rest once depleted what value would a scientist bring to a mission beyond manning the lab?

love the headache around planning manned mission it’s awesome!

playing ksp 1.7.3 with scansat, restock and +, kac, transfer window planner, kis and kas.

thanks!

Which wiki are you referring to? https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Reliability

Says all can repair 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IceCube said:

Hi all,

So I am in the infancy of my hard mode career playthrough and just noticed that my pilot was able to repair an engine that failed. However in the wiki it is mentioned than only engineers can do so. That kind of saved my first mun mission so not gonna complain but can I assume it will always be the case or did I miss something?

also I am wondering what are scientists used for in kerbalism? Since it is mentioned that Goo and Meterial bay can’t be rest once depleted what value would a scientist bring to a mission beyond manning the lab?

love the headache around planning manned mission it’s awesome!

playing ksp 1.7.3 with scansat, restock and +, kac, transfer window planner, kis and kas.

thanks!

Part repair requirements are different per-part; some are any Kerbal, some are engineer, some are engineer of Level >= X. This should be displayed in the VAB info of the part, under the Reliability module.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey mindstalker,

yep bud that wiki indeed. But in the table it says engine -> engineer unless I am not looking at it right. Or I’m thinking maybe it’s because it a restock engine and therefore not recognized.

thanks lord, didn’t know it was showing up in the vab!

will jump into the game quickly to check that right away and confirm the engine name.

Happy thanksgiving/Thursday to all

Edit: looks like all engines in VAB mention repair : everyone.

should have paid more attention to this! Thanks again

Edited by IceCube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

I'd request some help: Kerbalism 3.1 is declaring that it is incompatibly with USI KolonyTools. I acctualy dont utilised that mod, I just had it installed.

So I removed the whole USI mod tree. Suddenly all my probes lost communcation connection, and I just could not get them working. The problem could olny be solved by recopying UmbraSpaceIndustries mods back.

Any suggestions how to remove safely?

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IceCube said:

Hey mindstalker,

yep bud that wiki indeed. But in the table it says engine -> engineer unless I am not looking at it right. Or I’m thinking maybe it’s because it a restock engine and therefore not recognized.

That info might be from a time from before the new engine failure system. Kerbalism recently introduced ignition failures and engine failures based on engine operation duration, which means that engines can fail fare more often than they used to. To... ahem: compensate for that, most engines can be repaired by any kerbal. There are however some that require special skills. If I remember correctly, a NERV requires an engineer, and ion thrusters require a scientist - but that might have changed again and I forgot about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Sir Mortimer, got it. Will pay closer attention to the in game info provided!

about the scientist any kerbalism related specific purpose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

That info might be from a time from before the new engine failure system. Kerbalism recently introduced ignition failures and engine failures based on engine operation duration, which means that engines can fail fare more often than they used to. To... ahem: compensate for that, most engines can be repaired by any kerbal. There are however some that require special skills. If I remember correctly, a NERV requires an engineer, and ion thrusters require a scientist - but that might have changed again and I forgot about it.

 

What's weird is when I viewed the FAQ page it said all can repair engines. Later I viewed it again and it reverted to and older version that didn't say that. Not sure if it's versioning in some weird way or what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

d2dKoTU.jpg

Im confused as to what depleted means and how should I avoid this status? I added extra slots to my science Jr (capacity 12) so I could hold 3 sets of data (4 slots each). Also why is my mystery goo not having this problem?

Very confused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It means you're out of sample material. If you want to do more experiments, pack more experiments :)

Also, it looks like you're running RemoteTech with the latest Kerbalism. You ought to avoid that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I have a question. I installed near future electrical and kerbalism but did NOT install dynamic battery storage, which is incompatible with kerbalism. But the reactors from NFE now act like dummies ( i.e. structural parts ). They produce no EC or waste heat. Is NFE compatible with kerbalism( without DBS ), or will I have to uninstall NFE. I also have KSPI-E installed, but the problem only shows up in NFE's reactors, all of KSPI-E work fine. Could anyone help me out on this,  or are there any config patches I can do to make these two work together ( I really love both of the mods )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nepphhh said:

It means you're out of sample material. If you want to do more experiments, pack more experiments :)

Also, it looks like you're running RemoteTech with the latest Kerbalism. You ought to avoid that.

Then what is the point of adding more slots?

Also what happens with Remote Tech? [I got rid of it and my antennas are working at ridiculous ranges :( ]

Sorry I'm new to this mod but I'm loving it

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Then what is the point of adding more slots?

Also what happens with Remote Tech?

Sorry I'm new to this mod but I'm loving it

Slots allow you to store more different output samples - eg, space low, space high, etc. But sample mass, the input, remains constant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the question was "why have more sample slots than the experiment can provide" - well, if you add other experiments that are decoupled before reentry AND you enabled "always science transfer allowed" ... there you go. Click "transfer data  here", then decouple, and you got all the samples in the return capsule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I guess the question was "why have more sample slots than the experiment can provide" - well, if you add other experiments that are decoupled before reentry AND you enabled "always science transfer allowed" ... there you go. Click "transfer data  here", then decouple, and you got all the samples in the return capsule.

Also is there a way of knowing how many samples an experiment can use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.

I have a simple question. Does anybody have any experience with kerbalism and Kerbal Construction Time?

I want to play with kerbalism, kct, and the krash Mod. But I'm not sure, if it works well together. 

Greetings

Matze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnkelMatze197 said:

I have a simple question. Does anybody have any experience with kerbalism and Kerbal Construction Time?

I want to play with kerbalism, kct, and the krash Mod. But I'm not sure, if it works well together. 

Mike Aben currently has a youtube series (search his name in YT, you'll find it) where he uses exactly this kind of setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.