[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

I used to put a lot of Nerv engine on my long travel spacecraft, so I did for my first Duna kerbaled mission.... but I saw that a lot of radiation were produced.

Is there a way to use it safely on crewed mission or should I change my craft for a liquid/oxydizer engine ?

screenshot2093-1537176593500_s.png

5 hours ago, ecaheti said:

I used to put a lot of Nerv engine on my long travel spacecraft, so I did for my first Duna kerbaled mission.... but I saw that a lot of radiation were produced.

Is there a way to use it safely on crewed mission or should I change my craft for a liquid/oxydizer engine ?

screenshot2093-1537176593500_s.png

Shielding.

Perhaps Kerbalism needs a new part:

stackable (inline) foldable umbrella shield part, for let's say 3 diameters: 1.25m - 2.5m - 3.75m

This part also could have "shielding" applied, but as an extra shielding to the default value the part itself already supplies.
Just to make it have even more shielding, but be heavier.

Kerbalism, and all other mods with radiation, could definitely use a proper shadow shield. Thing is, for that to work radiation has to have a source from which it propagates, so that line-of-sight can be used to determine if something is shielded or not. AFAIK radiation in kerbalism is just a number used in some equations. Nertea was working on it at some point (not as part of Kerbalism though) - see 

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Perhaps Kerbalism needs a new part:

stackable (inline) foldable umbrella shield part, for let's say 3 diameters: 1.25m - 2.5m - 3.75m

This part also could have "shielding" applied, but as an extra shielding to the default value the part itself already supplies.
Just to make it have even more shielding, but be heavier.

One of the things various hypothetical RL spacecraft do for this is to use their water tanks as radiation shields.

Not really any extra mass, since you need to carry the water for the crew anyhow, and it's very good at the job.

On 9/16/2018 at 6:45 PM, PiezPiedPy said:

just a bit of math why its 1/16
Rates used in Kerbalism are based on Real World values but Kerbal's are half the height of a human which means their lung and stomach volume are 1/4 of a human...

Well, 1/8. Volume is cubed; surface area is squared. 

2 hours ago, John Nowak said:

Well, 1/8. Volume is cubed; surface area is squared. 

Mmmm.  This is no longer simple arithmetic and it makes my head hurt.

Discussions have been had around the number.  Both for lungs and stomach, it is only the surface area of these which actually does the absorbtion - so a quarter the size.

Also the previous amounts were based on a human for a human day which is 1.77 kg of food per 24 hours.  This was squished into a kerbal 6 hour day so 1.77 kg of food in 6 hours, not 24.  The amount of food mass needed to be reduced by a quarter  to account for the Kerbal 6 hour days.  So what you are now experiencing is a quarter of a quarter to account for both time, and surface area of the stomach and intestines.

Does this help?

Peace.

Well the amount you need to eat/breathe/drink depends upon your metabolic activity.  Kerbals are roughly half a human's mass so half the food/water/oxygen (per hour) of a human seems reasonable at a very rough approximation.  Whilst surface area in the lungs and stomach/intestines might do the actual absorption, evolution will ensure that kerbals have enough lung/stomach/intestine surface area to absorb enough food/water/oxygen to meet typical metabolic needs.  You can't simply assume that lung/stomach/intestine surface area will be one quarter human simply because kerbals are half human height.  

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Mmmm.  This is no longer simple arithmetic and it makes my head hurt.

Discussions have been had around the number.  Both for lungs and stomach, it is only the surface area of these which actually does the absorbtion - so a quarter the size.

Also the previous amounts were based on a human for a human day which is 1.77 kg of food per 24 hours.  This was squished into a kerbal 6 hour day so 1.77 kg of food in 6 hours, not 24.  The amount of food mass needed to be reduced by a quarter  to account for the Kerbal 6 hour days.  So what you are now experiencing is a quarter of a quarter to account for both time, and surface area of the stomach and intestines.

Plus, Kerbals aren't linearly-scaled-down humans, they're far wider. So makes sense for them to have 1/4 volume rather than 1/8 volume.

Balancewise, the 1/16 human consumption seems easy enough already, especially combined with the short distances. No need to make it any less.

Edited by Maeyanie

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

It is more complex than this, as many organs have detailed internal structure than expands their function at better than just the square of the linear size.  Lungs contain structures like mammals' alveoli coated with surfactants, most gut absorption takes place in the small intestine which is long and has villi, and kidneys contain nephrons.

8 hours ago, Jacke said:

It is more complex than this, as many organs have detailed internal structure than expands their function at better than just the square of the linear size.  Lungs contain structures like mammals' alveoli coated with surfactants, most gut absorption takes place in the small intestine which is long and has villi, and kidneys contain nephrons.

One factor that went into that decision was that TAC LS uses the same assumed rates (calculation here). Using the same rates as TAC LS makes Kerbalism compatible with preexisting mods that provide life support parts for TAC LS, without having to adjust everything.

A food container that fed your crew for 10 days with TAC LS will now feed the crew for exactly the same amount of time in Kerbalism.

For now. :wink:

Hey all, I noticed that the SSPX Greenhouse now produces harvests every 12 minutes for 3 food. Is this intended, and if so, is there a way to automate this so I don't have to go in and harvest manually?

4 hours ago, Lukus said:

Hey all, I noticed that the SSPX Greenhouse now produces harvests every 12 minutes for 3 food. Is this intended, and if so, is there a way to automate this so I don't have to go in and harvest manually?

It's a bug, fix will be in the next release.

Or you could edit the SSPX.cfg file in the GameData/Kerbalism/Support folder, you will need to change the crop_rate value on line 472 to 0.00000416664

Edited by PiezPiedPy

57 minutes ago, PiezPiedPy said:

It's a bug, fix will be in the next release.

Or you could edit the SSPX.cfg file in the GameData/Kerbalism/Support folder, you will need to change the crop_rate value on line 472 to 0.00000416664

Thanks for the quick response! I made the modifications, but the description didn't change for the part. That's cool though, the Planetary Base Systems greenhouse is unchanged, so I will integrate those into my designs instead. Looking forward to the next update :D

14 hours ago, adamgerd said:

What are the effects of high radiation? How long do the effects take? Also I'm assuming >6 RAD is a lot, probably shouldn't have done the orbit in the belt without shielding though I only added the mod post-start of the save

>6 rad/h is a lot. Get them out of there. Assuming you don't have any shielding on your vessel, it will kill your entire crew very quickly. Get them back to Kerbin where they will be treated for radiation poisoning. Also, since you've added Kerbalism after start of the save, your crew will probably be running out of oxygen if your ship doesn't have any oxygen tanks, maybe from other mods.

I don't know how far you've got with your career, but you might want to take a look at the tutorial. It explains how to get to Mun and back alive.

13 hours ago, Lukus said:

Thanks for the quick response! I made the modifications, but the description didn't change for the part. That's cool though, the Planetary Base Systems greenhouse is unchanged, so I will integrate those into my designs instead. Looking forward to the next update :D

The changes only apply to new vessels built in the VAB/SPH, loading saved vessels into the VAB/SPH will also not work as they would of been saved with the old settings ;)

You could edit your save game and saved vessels with KML though

22 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Yes! CMEs. And if they are in the magnetosphere they will lose signal.

See https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism/blob/master/docs/environment.rst for details. 

Peace.

So, essentially there is no specified amount of time when your satellites power back up? All of them stop taking a solar charge, and have the "No Connection" in red letters at the top left. Which I'm assuming is part of this mod. 

51 minutes ago, memyselfandI said:

So, essentially there is no specified amount of time when your satellites power back up? All of them stop taking a solar charge, and have the "No Connection" in red letters at the top left. Which I'm assuming is part of this mod. 

I was just quoting from the wiki.  I think it works the same as a plasma blackout.

Just no signal.

Peace.