Inflatable Airlock Doesn't Work With Other Same-Size Docking Ports

I'm able to overlook a lot of things, but the fact that the inflatable airlock just doesn't mate with other same-size docking ports is a major oversight.  Nobody is ever going to want to dock two of these together. 

I love the idea of the part, but I'm really disappointed that the absolute, most basic form of functionality doesn't even work.

Edited by Caelib

1 hour ago, Caelib said:

I'm able to overlook a lot of things, but the fact that the inflatable airlock just doesn't mate with other same-size docking ports is a major oversight.  Nobody is ever going to want to dock two of these together. 

I love the idea of the part, but I'm really disappointed that the absolute, most basic form of functionality doesn't even work.

Are you sure you're discussing stock parts here?

yeah, it's one of the new DLC parts.  I've checked, it does have a docking node.  But, I think that's just a bonus functionality.  Its primary function is as a node attachable exit hatch to replicate the EVA airlock on Voskhod 2.  I suspect they added the docking node so that it would be useful outside of just roleplay and/or missions, since the capsule's existing hatch makes it kinda redundant.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

It is a new part in the Making History expansion.

WV17akL.jpg

I haven't tried docking it with itself yet, but I am doubtful that will even work because it's not "attachable" in VAB on both ends.

Edited by Caelib

Just saw RoverDude posted on Reddit yesterday that it will dock to a docking port jr when the airlock is extended.  I’ll give that a try later on.  

Edit:  It's later on, and turns out it works just fine:

S6G9ZlC.jpg

Edited by klesh
gave it a try.

2 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

It LOOKS like it should work with both the small and standard size docking ports. And since the theme of MH seems to be overpowered parts... would like it to work that way :)

I wouldn't call them overpowered... more like a midrange between Stock and something like KW Rocketry.

IMO, they're good enough and different enough at what they do that they compliment the stock game just fine.

6 hours ago, Caelib said:

It is a new part in the Making History expansion.

WV17akL.jpg

I haven't tried docking it with itself yet, but I am doubtful that will even work because it's not "attachable" in VAB on both ends.

Here is some hints if you feel like do something about it. Little bit of trial and error and you can do almost anything with these parts. I just checked the configs. the nodeType= size0 meaning it is compatible with the JR. 

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.1474114, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleDockingNode
  referenceAttachNode = top
  nodeType = size1
  stagingEnabled = False
 }

7 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I thought the general consensus was that Kerbals "shouldn't" be able to pass through Jr. docking ports. Having it on an airlock is just weird.

From the official description "As a result of its small size, kerbals need to hold their breath and wiggle to slip through." 

1 hour ago, Daze said:

From the official description "As a result of its small size, kerbals need to hold their breath and wiggle to slip through." 

That's new, it used to be "...As a result of its small size, it's usable for transferring resources, but not crew."

23 hours ago, Texas Tim said:

The Everyday Astronaut ran into the airlock-not-docking problem on his Making History live-stream. It seems to be a problem.

I wonder whether he was using 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 under the MH expansion?  Apparently, some Early Access folks got the DLC before 1.4.1 dropped, so might have encountered bugs the rest of us never saw (since we got 1.4.1 the same day MH dropped).

On 16/03/2018 at 1:12 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

yeah, it's one of the new DLC parts.  I've checked, it does have a docking node.  But, I think that's just a bonus functionality.  Its primary function is as a node attachable exit hatch to replicate the EVA airlock on Voskhod 2.  I suspect they added the docking node so that it would be useful outside of just roleplay and/or missions, since the capsule's existing hatch makes it kinda redundant.

Ah. So it needs to be renamed "inflatable EVA port"?

Ah. So it needs to be renamed "inflatable EVA port"?

No, it is an airlock.  I think you've got docking ports and airlocks confused.  Docking ports can be attached to airlocks, but they usually are just hatches with docking clamps.  AIrlocks are mainly used for EVA or other cases where you need an air barrier.  What they probably should do is not refer to it as a docking port in the description.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.