Delta V and Boosters

43 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Well, I cruise at full throttle. I'd have to be home to figure out the twr. As for the burntime, I can calculate that. By my math, a Wheesley would go through 4 tonnes of jet fuel in 57 minutes.
 Best,
-Slashy

off by 12 seconds man :D haha impressive :D

I'm flying your plane to the ice shelves now :D estimated arrival in 35 min :D

It's super stable and have a good speed. However landing this thing was not easy :D

8 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

That's 'cuz I rounded down :wink:

If you're interested, I can explain how the math works on that.

Best,
-Slashy

Yeah absolutely!

rDWjXiX.jpg

Just got home.
 It weighs 9 tonnes exactly, so TWR would be 1.36.

Best,
-Slashy

To figure out the burn time of a jet, you need to know the sea level Isp and thrust and the mass of fuel you'll be feeding it with.

The Isp figure says "if you convert my thrust to mass and feed me that same amount of fuel, I will stay running for exactly this many seconds".

The Wheesley's thrust is 120 kN. divide that by 9.81 = 12.23 tonnes. It's Isp is 10, 500 seconds. If you feed it 12.23 tonnes of fuel, it'd run for 10,500 seconds; 858.375 seconds per tonne of fuel.
 2 Mk1 fuel tanks hold 4 tonnes of fuel, so 3,433.5 seconds run time. 57' 13.5".

HTHs,
-Slashy

26 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

To figure out the burn time of a jet, you need to know the sea level Isp and thrust and the mass of fuel you'll be feeding it with.

The Isp figure says "if you convert my thrust to mass and feed me that same amount of fuel, I will stay running for exactly this many seconds".

The Wheesley's thrust is 120 kN. divide that by 9.81 = 12.23 tonnes. It's Isp is 10, 500 seconds. If you feed it 12.23 tonnes of fuel, it'd run for 10,500 seconds; 858.375 seconds per tonne of fuel.
 2 Mk1 fuel tanks hold 4 tonnes of fuel, so 3,433.5 seconds run time. 57' 13.5".

HTHs,
-Slashy

Where do you get the 9.81 from?

1 minute ago, Schmelge said:

That's the acceleration due to gravity on Kerbin and Earth in meters per second per second. You can use it to translate between the mass of an object (in tons) and the force needed to hover that object (in kiloNewtons), according to this equation:

• Force = Mass * Acceleration

1 hour ago, Schmelge said:

That's "g0", gravitational acceleration at sea level. 9.81 m/sec2
It's also the conversion factor between mass and the force the mass exerts when sitting at rest.

g0 is like RedHot; we use that $*&^ in everything :D

Best,
-Slashy

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

That's "g0", gravitational acceleration at sea level. 9.81 m/sec2
It's also the conversion factor between mass and the force the mass exerts when sitting at rest.

g0 is like RedHot; we use that $*&^ in everything :D

Best,
-Slashy

My god I just realized that I probably should have listened when my teachers told me to pay attention in school... Kinda sad that it's 21 years to late xD

1 minute ago, Schmelge said:

My god I just realized that I probably should have listened when my teachers told me to pay attention in school... Kinda sad that it's 21 years to late xD

I felt the same way when I first started playing in .18... makes me wish I had paid attention in physics class back in 1986... :D Dr. Wu was telling us it was important - little did he know then that I would need it to play the best game in the world nearly 32 years later...

Nah, it's never too late. Spend enough time playing KSP, and you'll know more about this stuff than your teachers ever did. :D

Best,
-Slashy

3 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Nah, it's never too late. Spend enough time playing KSP, and you'll know more about this stuff than your teachers ever did. :D

Best,
-Slashy

I sure hope I do learn how to play this game :P

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I felt the same way when I first started playing in .18... makes me wish I had paid attention in physics class back in 1986... :D Dr. Wu was telling us it was important - little did he know then that I would need it to play the best game in the world nearly 32 years later...

Haha :D Maybe Dr. Wu is playing as well :D Sounds like a game for him :D

Just wanned to thank everyone so far for all the replies :) I've been lurking many forums over the years and so far I havn't come across any other forum with this level of enthusiasm and eager to help out! Really appriciated!

26 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I feel privileged to be the one to hand down this wisdom of the ages. Please pass it on to someone else in need when you see an opportunity:

Ooooh sooo nice!!!

Does anything similar exist for rockets aswell? :D

Thank you very much man!

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

adsii1970,

Not particularly. I have a big monitor and don't really need to use the whole thing for KSP.

Best,
-Slashy

Thanks, I was just curious. I have heard from a few that seem to believe that a windowed KSP runs better. But I don't understand how that could be the case...

Just wanned to thank everyone so far for all the replies :) I've been lurking many forums over the years and so far I havn't come across any other forum with this level of enthusiasm and eager to help out! Really appriciated!

We're glad you finally come out of the shadows. Make sure you share some images as we always like to see what others are exploding flying to the Mun!

57 minutes ago, Schmelge said:

Ooooh sooo nice!!!

Does anything similar exist for rockets aswell? :D

Thank you very much man!

Scott Manley's youtube channel really is the best teacher, but this and the Intermediate and Advanced are pretty good: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Basic_Rocket_Design

The whole wiki has some great info, even though some is outdated.

Resources on the sidebar here: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalAcademy/

Or just ask specific questions here. We like helping.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.