Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I also am unable to complete Chapter 2. I've finished all of the mission goals, landed my jet splendidly on the west end of the runway, taxied around to get my latitude and longitude EXACTLY the same as the requirements listed in the final mission goal, parked it... and still nothing. The mission has been going for 40 minutes, if that's relevant. Any idea how I can trigger endgame here?

 

Update: I've also now finished Chapter 3, and am running into the same problem: after landing (and going on EVA as instructed), the script isn't recognizing that I have done so. Other than that it seems to work fine.

Edited by AbacusWizard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 12:24 AM, AbacusWizard said:

I also am unable to complete Chapter 2. I've finished all of the mission goals, landed my jet splendidly on the west end of the runway, taxied around to get my latitude and longitude EXACTLY the same as the requirements listed in the final mission goal, parked it... and still nothing. The mission has been going for 40 minutes, if that's relevant. Any idea how I can trigger endgame here?

 

Update: I've also now finished Chapter 3, and am running into the same problem: after landing (and going on EVA as instructed), the script isn't recognizing that I have done so. Other than that it seems to work fine.

Abacus, and anyone else still playing the bugged versions:

Chapter 2 fix:

The mission doesn't always end. Taking a look at it in the editor, I noticed you have a condition that checks if the game time is less than 15 minutes. If that is false, the buck stops there. There is no path way to the Finish marker. If you add another connector from the last green Display Message node directly to the Finish location check, then the player can either get the quick time bonus, or finish when they land.

Chapter 3 fix:

The fix for the EVA node is to replace the reference to UFO with just plain ANY because by this point, if the specified Kerbal goes EVA, he will already be exiting the UFO craft. This node only triggers as you exit the craft, so if you jump out and use personal parachutes instead and let the craft crash, the game will never end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Just Jim said:

Yes!!!

I don't know how many missions I'll be able to make myself, but as a fan-fiction writer, this is one of the things that occurred to me when @SQUAD first announced Mission Builder in the KSP weekly reports. And now that I've had a chance to play around with it, I totally agree there is a lot of potential for story-based missions!

I would love to see you do this. And other writers, or future mission-builders, as well!!!

:cool:

Ooooooooooo, I see some Emiko Missions in the future...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead and made the changes as suggested by @jclovis3 Thanks so much for the help with that! The clean versions can be found in the original post (too much work to go back and change all links in every post :P )

Working on 4 today and this week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 11:38 AM, PeskyPony said:
The missions are great so far, but on the third mission, I landed at KSC but the EVA node is not firing.
https://imgur.com/a/13tkS5B

Yeah, just change that node to reference "any" vessel rather than the named UFO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jclovis3 said:

Yeah, jutst change that node to reference "any" vessel rather than the named UFO.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PeskyPony said:

I'll try that. Thanks.

I fixed it in the link on the first page (both missions) if you just want to re-download it. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all,

Just wanted to post a quick update about Chapter 4.

I had an issue on my PC and had to reinstall a bunch of stuff, which meant KSP too. Unfortunately, I lost all progress on the chapter, so I'm going to need to start all over.

That's okay, though, it will give me the chance to make a few changes and updates that would have been difficult before...because hindsight and all that. It will take a bit of time to catch up, but I will start again.

Sorry for anyone that was waiting, but thanks for the support already!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first three chapters of Jeb's Life are now on the Steam Workshop for anyone who wants to download them that way. If/when any updates are made you can be sure the Steam version will always be updated. When I finish with chapter 4 it will be on the workshop first (but links will be here, too). Cheers everyone, thanks for the support and patience. It's been a busy, busy, busy spring :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm nearing completion of the first draft of chapter 4. I'm playing around with some...cinematic elements, but I'm not sure how they are going to work for more than just me. Would anyone be willing to playtest the early version and let know your experience with...the bits I shall not mention? It will probably be playable by the weekend, monday at the latest (I've got a state championship this weekend and might not have time to focus on building it).

PM me if you're interested and I will let you know what the potential issues are. Thanks all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CHAPTER 4 BETA

Chapter 4 is (mostly) here. I decided to release it as a beta because I'm having some troubles with the end node, but otherwise it's pretty complete.

A few things to note:

1. If the missiles don't launch automatically, just activate the stage yourself. Even with double or triple redundancies, sometimes kerbal just doesn't want it to happen.

2. You will need to manually reset the camera to your craft after a few events. Sometimes it returns to your craft, sometimes it doesn't. As far as I'm aware it's entirely a KSP issue, but if anyone knows a fix let me know.

3. The truck...oh, the truck. Enjoy having the wheels bounce left and right randomly, because you know, Kerbal. I've held left or right and watched the wheels turn that direction, hesitate, bounce another way, then return to the proper orientation...over and over. I've replaced wheels and tried different settings but still no-go. Good luck with that ;)

Let me know if there is anything else you come across.

And a HUGE thanks to @million_lights for helping me get the missiles and other bits to work.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about halfway through Chapter 4, and I wanted to say great job! The story is mysterious and engaging, the final chapters are all polished and very professional-looking, and I had great fun playing through all of your missions!

About your Beta Notes:

1. The missiles worked pretty well, I didn't have to manually set them off, but they didn't really hit their targets, which is what I think you were going for. :P

2. Yeah, I had to manually switch the cameras after a missile strike. Don't really know a way around that.

3. The truck's steering problems come from the fact that the cupola is turned sideways. Turning it right side up (so when the interior overlay is turned on the Kerbal is sitting in the cupola upright) should fix the steering problems, but I got around the steering by disabling steering on one of the front wheels. Turning was slow, but it worked.

I had a look at the mission builder, and that is a TON of nodes. I have to say, you did a great job getting these missions together, and I will be eagerly awaiting the next installments of this story! 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PredawnElk1 said:

I'm about halfway through Chapter 4, and I wanted to say great job! The story is mysterious and engaging, the final chapters are all polished and very professional-looking, and I had great fun playing through all of your missions!

About your Beta Notes:

1. The missiles worked pretty well, I didn't have to manually set them off, but they didn't really hit their targets, which is what I think you were going for. :P

2. Yeah, I had to manually switch the cameras after a missile strike. Don't really know a way around that.

3. The truck's steering problems come from the fact that the cupola is turned sideways. Turning it right side up (so when the interior overlay is turned on the Kerbal is sitting in the cupola upright) should fix the steering problems, but I got around the steering by disabling steering on one of the front wheels. Turning was slow, but it worked.

I had a look at the mission builder, and that is a TON of nodes. I have to say, you did a great job getting these missions together, and I will be eagerly awaiting the next installments of this story! 

 

So very glad to hear that, thank you kindly! I hope you enjoy all of them...they took a lot of work ;)

The missiles are almost impossible to control and aim at a specific spot. Given that you need to aim them by fin placement and probe angle, it's nearly impossible to get an exact location, hence the 'missile gets close and blows up' nodes. A bit of imagination is required.

I thought the location for control was an issue, but even when you 'control from here' to any other point, the wheels still glitch out for me. Honestly, whatever you can do to get it to work, works! Cheers and thank again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Chapter 3 issue towards the end.

I'm missing something, or it's bugged.    I get within 20 meters of the UFO, can't dock (why they make you take a docking port as part of the ship...don't ask me) so go EVA.

The ship explodes, and all I get is my Kerbal stunned,  and the "B" for board prompt which does nothing.    Can't use EVA pack, can't wake up Kerbal, I just slowly deorbit his floating, lifeless corpse.

Not that it really matters, as there doesn't seem to be any more chapters written.   (I was actually enjoying the advancement of skills in these however).

Just hate not at least finishing the darn missions.

Thanks for any help.

 

Edited by EmanonP
Added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now