[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

On 4/9/2020 at 5:16 PM, dtoxic said:

@maja Hi when selecting the option (disable Rotate) the setting is not retained between game restarts

Where do you have KSP installed? This could be unsuficient permissions issue when writing settings to the config file.

On 4/9/2020 at 5:10 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

@maja I tried using BonVoyage with the Critter Crawler from the mod of the same name, but it doesn't work and says wheels aren't touching the ground. The Critter uses KSPWheel and runs on six legs rather than wheels, which might be why it doesn't work. Using Bon Voyage v1.0.1 and Critter Crawler v1.3.5.3 in KSP 1.8.1, no errors in the logs that I've seen yet.

https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/issues/19

2 hours ago, maja said:

Where do you have KSP installed? This could be unsuficient permissions issue when writing settings to the config file.

Not likely...i have it on my (E:\drive) + i have all the privileges (permissions) + i ksp runs with my permissions (administrator group/user)

and in the config.xml the setting is written (<bool name="disableRotation">1</bool>) just not read i assume, also i forgot to mention that i am on KSP 1.9.1 so that might have something to do with it?

57 minutes ago, DStaal said:

How many 'wheels' does the Critter Crawler actually have?  (In terms of KSPWheel instances.)  I suspect it's likely just one...

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/CritterCrawlerRetractingVectoringEngines/blob/master/GameData/BahaSP/Parts/critterCrawler/part.cfg

I don't know how KSPWheel handles this.

@jimmymcgoochie I'll test it, but don't have big hopes :)

29 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

Not likely...i have it on my (E:\drive) + i have all the privileges (permissions) + i ksp runs with my permissions (administrator group/user)

and in the config.xml the setting is written (<bool name="disableRotation">1</bool>) just not read i assume, also i forgot to mention that i am on KSP 1.9.1 so that might have something to do with it?

I don't have a version for KSP 1.9.1 yet, so it may be it. This whole COVID-19 situation threw a monkey wrench into my plans.

1 hour ago, maja said:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/CritterCrawlerRetractingVectoringEngines/blob/master/GameData/BahaSP/Parts/critterCrawler/part.cfg

I don't know how KSPWheel handles this.

@jimmymcgoochie I'll test it, but don't have big hopes :)

I don't have a version for KSP 1.9.1 yet, so it may be it. This whole COVID-19 situation threw a monkey wrench into my plans.

Hey no worries hope you are ok, btw i think the setting is "working". it just does not remember being checked (the little circle)

Big thanks to Maja!  I'm really glad to see this mod back again.  I used it all the time until support disappeared and updates broke it.

edit: Testing my newest 1.9.1 (with Breaking Ground) science rover at KSC, and everything is going great.

edit 2: spoke too soon.  I went to the tracking station and back to my craft... it fell through the surface.  Drove it UNDER the astronaut center and started up one of the terrain bumps before it blew through the surface and exploded.  Luckily Val and Bill survived.

edit 3: reloaded and tested a couple more trips and haven't had the same issue.

Edited by HalcyonSon

5 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

Big thanks to Maja!  I'm really glad to see this mod back again.  I used it all the time until support disappeared and updates broke it.

edit: Testing my newest 1.9.1 (with Breaking Ground) science rover at KSC, and everything is going great.

edit 2: spoke too soon.  I went to the tracking station and back to my craft... it fell through the surface.  Drove it UNDER the astronaut center and started up one of the terrain bumps before it blew through the surface and exploded.  Luckily Val and Bill survived.

Is this your rover by any chance? 

08-95.jpg

If so, that is a feature, not a bug.

14 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

Probably some freak issue during loading.

Update is closer and closer :)

6 hours ago, maja said:

Probably some freak issue during loading.

Update is closer and closer :)

Okay, after a bit more fiddling I found the issue.  Bon Voyage works great IF you allow the rover to COMPLETE its trip.  I don't believe the mod is checking rover altitude against terrain height when you interrupt a trip.  I suppose this provides more evidence to the "Kerbals live underground" theory lol.

1 hour ago, HalcyonSon said:

Okay, after a bit more fiddling I found the issue.  Bon Voyage works great IF you allow the rover to COMPLETE its trip.  I don't believe the mod is checking rover altitude against terrain height when you interrupt a trip.  I suppose this provides more evidence to the "Kerbals live underground" theory lol.

I've had many rovers complete their trip only to end up underground when I load them up. The solution seems to be using maximum terrain detail, which changes the shape of the terrain; Bon Voyage uses the highest detail version apparently and if you use any other setting you can end up underground.

4 hours ago, HalcyonSon said:

Believe it or not, the altitude check is there every step :)

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I've had many rovers complete their trip only to end up underground when I load them up. The solution seems to be using maximum terrain detail, which changes the shape of the terrain; Bon Voyage uses the highest detail version apparently and if you use any other setting you can end up underground.

Probably. I don't know, how KSP is handling calls to functions which returns altitude of the terrain at given coordinates, so I can't tell which version it is. It's a little bit of magic to find out, how KSP works.

8 minutes ago, maja said:

Believe it or not, the altitude check is there every step :)

Probably. I don't know, how KSP is handling calls to functions which returns altitude of the terrain at given coordinates, so I can't tell which version it is. It's a little bit of magic to find out, how KSP works.

All I know is, terrain detail set to low or medium, rovers end up underground; terrain detail set to high, rovers stay above the ground. Stock KSP and JNSQ are the same and they have radically different terrain maps, and in both cases I haven't yet lost a rover due to it being underground with terrain detail set to high but lost plenty in both with it set to low or medium.

• 3 weeks later...

This mod is extremely helpful on site contracts, but not on base finding, the map view shadows is often misleading and i keep pressing area ahead or behind the area I want, so if you can, maybe add an option to choose destination in flight

On 4/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

All I know is, terrain detail set to low or medium, rovers end up underground; terrain detail set to high, rovers stay above the ground. Stock KSP and JNSQ are the same and they have radically different terrain maps, and in both cases I haven't yet lost a rover due to it being underground with terrain detail set to high but lost plenty in both with it set to low or medium.

KSP has inconsistent terrain levels on low or medium terrain detail. I recommend leaving it on HIGH wherever possible. Basically, this is a bug with KSP, not Bon Voyage.

3 hours ago, Sirius K said:

This mod is extremely helpful on site contracts, but not on base finding, the map view shadows is often misleading and i keep pressing area ahead or behind the area I want, so if you can, maybe add an option to choose destination in flight

Maybe get your GPS coordinates from the base and directly input that into the Bon Voyage GUI?

8 hours ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

KSP has inconsistent terrain levels on low or medium terrain detail. I recommend leaving it on HIGH wherever possible. Basically, this is a bug with KSP, not Bon Voyage.

Maybe get your GPS coordinates from the base and directly input that into the Bon Voyage GUI?

No, I mean that the shadows in ksp map view often creates illusions of flat ground, but when I arrive the land isn't flat and I see better plains in front that isn't loaded in map view

10 hours ago, Sirius K said:

No, I mean that the shadows in ksp map view often creates illusions of flat ground, but when I arrive the land isn't flat and I see better plains in front that isn't loaded in map view

If you’re just scouting for a good site to build a base, I recommend using SCANsat as it will generate maps of terrain (height and slope) as well as biomes and in the most recent release visual images too. It also gives you MOAR SCIENCE!!! plus there are contracts available too. Find a flat area, drop a waypoint on it using the SCAN UI, drive your rover to the waypoint with Bon Voyage, repeat until you find your perfect base site. Just don’t send more than one rover to the same coordinates as they end up merged together and promptly explode/disassemble when you load them in- change the destination coordinates slightly after selecting the waypoint to avoid this issue.

14 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

If you’re just scouting for a good site to build a base, I recommend using SCANsat as it will generate maps of terrain (height and slope) as well as biomes and in the most recent release visual images too. It also gives you MOAR SCIENCE!!! plus there are contracts available too. Find a flat area, drop a waypoint on it using the SCAN UI, drive your rover to the waypoint with Bon Voyage, repeat until you find your perfect base site. Just don’t send more than one rover to the same coordinates as they end up merged together and promptly explode/disassemble when you load them in- change the destination coordinates slightly after selecting the waypoint to avoid this issue.

True ScanSat is useful in this situation but it adds parts, and I wouldn't need this mod for long since I'm doing things stock.

1 hour ago, Sirius K said:

True ScanSat is useful in this situation but it adds parts, and I wouldn't need this mod for long since I'm doing things stock.

To be fair, Bon Voyage was never meant to find you flat ground. I'm not sure if the code used for it to spawn the rover reasonably parallel to the ground can be used to make a new mod designed to highlight flat/level ground in the flight scene--and God, I wish such a mod exists--but that's another question entirely. 

And what you were describing really is a problem, but not one inherent to Bon Voyage or unique to KSP--or video gaming, for that matter. The Mark One eyeball isn't a reliable... slope-o-meter? Whatever the instrument is in ground surveying (theodolite?), there is a reason those exist in the real world (and again, I also wish such a mod would exist in KSP to highlight patches of reasonably flat and level (as in less than 1 degree of slope, and all slope changes in a given radius do not exceed about one or one and a half degrees of slope change total if I had to punch numbers in) ground. Even with Scansat to mark 0.1 slope locations on the map with Waypoints that Bon Voyage then tags, I'm forced to survey the area the hard way (driving all over the place and tracking the slope changes on Scansat or watching the navball--or if you wish to install non-part mods, use KER (+ and Engineer or have that mod that puts KER in all the pods and cores) and its slope display, or use one of MechJeb's displays (I don't think it tracks slope, but you can use the pitch/roll/yaw display as an approximate)) to see just how much flat ground is around that point. Absent a way of visually marking out flat or flat-and-level ground without reference to visual approximation, however, you're really going to be stuck with trial and error, and otherwise gut feel from looking at the map view.   

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm pretty sure this mod doesn't support Near Future technologies or MKS anymore. I tested a rover with Near Future Solar solar panels and the mod didn't register them. Did the same with stock solar panels and it worked just fine. Same goes for MKS reactors. IS there a way to make these mods compatible again?

17 hours ago, HippieGold said:

So, I'm pretty sure this mod doesn't support Near Future technologies or MKS anymore. I tested a rover with Near Future Solar solar panels and the mod didn't register them. Did the same with stock solar panels and it worked just fine. Same goes for MKS reactors. IS there a way to make these mods compatible again?

KSP version, mod version? Information is key to success.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:59 AM, Sirius K said:

SCANsat is one of those mods that are so well done you just want to keep playing with them. Highly recommend it. SCANsat probes can also double as polar relays once their main job is done! (if you slap a relay dish on there ofc)

And lets be honest, if you wanted to do things stock; You wouldn’t be here. ;) 

Edited by Jognt
dish, not fish..