[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

17 hours ago, maja said:

Just heads-up for all of you, who are waiting for a burried rover fix. I'm waiting for the new KSP update, which will most likely happen this week. It's a little bit hectic this month, but I hope that BV update will be soon after KSP one.

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to the new KSP version along with the new Bon Voyage.

• 4 weeks later...

Recent tests in version 1.4.3 have revealed the problem: after the trip, when returning to the Rover, it is at an altitude of the surface and falls on it. In some cases, the height of the fall is large and the Rover is destroyed. In version 1.3.1-1.4.2 it was the opposite: the Rover appeared as if a little under the surface and then recovered without destruction.

What could be the reason?

@Sokol_323 Don't worry, I have a fix coming. I'm a little bit busy right know, because I'm spending the rest of my free time in a gym training to achieve another technical level next week. So it's work, family, gym and sleep to regenerate and heal bruises and a little bit of a time to fix that rover positioning which changes with every new KSP update :)

Edited by maja

3 hours ago, maja said:

@Sokol_323 Don't worry, I have a fix coming. I'm a little bit busy right know, because I'm spending the rest of my free time in a gym training to achieve another technical level next week. So it's work, family, gym and sleep to regenerate and heal bruises and a little bit of a time to fix that rover positioning which changes with every new KSP update :)

Thank you! I am very grateful for such a quick response to my question.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the same issue as Sokol has.
Upon loading into the vehicle, something explodes (and it's usually something on TOP of my rover colliding with the surface...?) before the whole rover just flips.

You mentioned working on it, but I figured I'd confirm the issue (if it's even the same or similar.).

On 4/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, maja said:

Just heads-up for all of you, who are waiting for a burried rover fix. I'm waiting for the new KSP update, which will most likely happen this week. It's a little bit hectic this month, but I hope that BV update will be soon after KSP one.

I just got a rover stuck under ground on duna after roving.... I sure hope the fix you have been working on will help!

In the meantime, have you or anyone else a suggestion of how to salvage a rover stuck inside duna?

Can any other mod help? Hyperedit maybe? But is that even updated to ksp 1.4 yet?

42 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

Can any other mod help? Hyperedit maybe? But is that even updated to ksp 1.4 yet?

Hyperedit has a beta releease for 1.4 but I don't know if you can use it to change the altitude of an unloaded vessel, I have just used Hyperedit once.

You can actually work around with an savefile edit. Just quicksave, add ~20m to the altitude value of your rover, quickload and it should be save to switch to your rover. On bodies with low gravity like duna, this will give you some air time to rotate your rover into the right position before he will reach the ground again.

47 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

I just got a rover stuck under ground on duna after roving.... I sure hope the fix you have been working on will help!

In the meantime, have you or anyone else a suggestion of how to salvage a rover stuck inside duna?

As was mentioned, Hyperedit don't move unloaded vessels. I'm moving and rotating vessel before physics catch up during a scene change. There is still a minor issue regarding to much rotation during correction, so usually some wheel colides with the ground.

22 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Hyperedit has a beta releease for 1.4 but I don't know if you can use it to change the altitude of an unloaded vessel, I have just used Hyperedit once.

You can actually work around with an savefile edit. Just quicksave, add ~20m to the altitude value of your rover, quickload and it should be save to switch to your rover. On bodies with low gravity like duna, this will give you some air time to rotate your rover into the right position before he will reach the ground again.

Thanks for you answer. Hyperedit exploded my vessel when trying the land vessel function. However, vessel mover worked like a charm. Now a permanent install to save my rovers from ending up inside the planet!

22 hours ago, maja said:

As was mentioned, Hyperedit don't move unloaded vessels. I'm moving and rotating vessel before physics catch up during a scene change. There is still a minor issue regarding to much rotation during correction, so usually some wheel colides with the ground.

Have you considered doing something like what vessel mover does? It raises the vessel high, and then slowly lowers it until it is on the ground.... FYI the orientation of the vessel is still important though, but it seems to deal with the height issue.

2 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

Thanks for you answer. Hyperedit exploded my vessel when trying the land vessel function. However, vessel mover worked like a charm. Now a permanent install to save my rovers from ending up inside the planet!

Have you considered doing something like what vessel mover does? It raises the vessel high, and then slowly lowers it until it is on the ground.... FYI the orientation of the vessel is still important though, but it seems to deal with the height issue.

Have you tried World Stabilizer? Most of the time it keeps my craft safe when loading in, even after BonVoyage has moved them.

7 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

Yes, I'm taking inspiration from other mods :wink:

On 5/23/2018 at 7:15 AM, Rallyman03 said:

So I built a rover with an Infernal Robotics arm as well as a KAS winch and magnet. I grab an item, secure it to my rover and poehali! when I get to where I'm going the item is where I originally was? Am I missing something?

That item must be a part of a vessel/rover. What I know, KAS magnet does not make that type of an attachement. You need a docking port, a claw or attach it with a wrench or a screwdriver.

Edited by maja

4 hours ago, maja said:

That item must be a part of a vessels/rover. What I know, KAS magnet does not make that type of an attachement. You need a docking port, a claw or attach it with a wrench or a screwdriver.

Hum okay. I wonder if attaching it with a KAS porrt and the winch will work. That's supposed to act like a mini docking port... further testing continues. Thanks for the response.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2018 at 3:58 PM, Rallyman03 said:

Hum okay. I wonder if attaching it with a KAS porrt and the winch will work. That's supposed to act like a mini docking port... further testing continues. Thanks for the response.

KAS ports have two modes of attachment: docked and undocked. The docked mode works like a docking port, so I suppose it'll work. Undocked mode acts like the magnet. 

On 3/16/2018 at 3:22 PM, maja said:

Rover can have alternative power source (RTGsNuclear Reactors, Fission Reactors, Antimatter Reactors, whole bunch of reactors is supported, if it has "reactor" in it's name than it will definitely work)

I built a rover with two stock RTG as unique energy source. When trying to send it on its voyage, the interface tells me that there is no energy source. Looking into the persistent file I see that the part is called "rtg" - i.e. it doesn't contain the magic word "reactor". Is it possible that this is the issue? That would mean that the stock RTG is unsupported, which would be a pity. Any workaround possible (renaming the part is obviously not possible)?

2 minutes ago, Maestro22 said:

I built a rover with two stock RTG as unique energy source. When trying to send it on its voyage, the interface tells me that there is no energy source. Looking into the persistent file I see that the part is called "rtg" - i.e. it doesn't contain the magic word "reactor". Is it possible that this is the issue? That would mean that the stock RTG is unsupported, which would be a pity. Any workaround possible (renaming the part is obviously not possible)?

Stock RTG is of course supported. It's not about some magic word in a part name :)

If you have other mods installed, then try to recreate the issue in the stock game (without mods). If it persist, then I need more info. Game version, BV version, log, save or craft file if possible.

6 hours ago, maja said:

Stock RTG is of course supported. It's not about some magic word in a part name :)

If you have other mods installed, then try to recreate the issue in the stock game (without mods). If it persist, then I need more info. Game version, BV version, log, save or craft file if possible.

You're right - it's about mod compatibility. It works fine in stock game, in my modded game not. At least not well. I assume it's Kerbalism, but I didn't drill it down to it yet. What I found was that in "my modded game" the RTG test rover would BV rove even though it says 0 energy - but only during daylight. In the night, the control panel tells me that the rover is awaiting sunlight. I'll continue searching...

Thank you for your quick response!

48 minutes ago, Maestro22 said:

You're right - it's about mod compatibility. It works fine in stock game, in my modded game not. At least not well. I assume it's Kerbalism, but I didn't drill it down to it yet. What I found was that in "my modded game" the RTG test rover would BV rove even though it says 0 energy - but only during daylight. In the night, the control panel tells me that the rover is awaiting sunlight. I'll continue searching...

Thank you for your quick response!

Kerbalism isn't fully supported. You don't need to search more.

World-Stabilizer put the Rover above the terrain, but it don't turn the rover to the right attitude. So, if you traveled half around the planet, Bon Voyage spawns the rover upside down, and World-Stabilizer lift it a bit above the surface. Want to see both in action? Look my video^^

2 hours ago, Jasmir said:

World-Stabilizer put the Rover above the terrain, but it don't turn the rover to the right attitude. So, if you traveled half around the planet, Bon Voyage spawns the rover upside down, and World-Stabilizer lift it a bit above the surface. Want to see both in action? Look my video^^

oh you know what, I forgot that I was also running a customized BV that rotates the rover... I had totally forgotten I did that. I thought it was World Stabilizer doing it :/