Jump to content

[KSP 1.12.1] Bon Voyage (1.4.0) - 2021-07-08


maja
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, maja said:

I'll check it. It's possible, that something changed, because that wasn't an issue when I was using ScanSat waypoints.

It's also possible that I'm completely off the mark. The fact is that on my latest attempt, my rover had the wrong altitude set in the save (2030 where the surface was at 300ish), but I also noticed I had the height offset still set at 1700, because that had saved me once before. Those numbers add up also. That said, I didn't have these issues with other rovers that I moved by directly clicking on the map.

Maybe that rover is just cursed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BTAxis said:

It's also possible that I'm completely off the mark. The fact is that on my latest attempt, my rover had the wrong altitude set in the save (2030 where the surface was at 300ish), but I also noticed I had the height offset still set at 1700, because that had saved me once before. Those numbers add up also. That said, I didn't have these issues with other rovers that I moved by directly clicking on the map.

Maybe that rover is just cursed.

Height offset adds up to the terrain height, so that set altitude is correct. BV takes only latitude and longitude from a waypoint, but I will check it regardless, just to be sure :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, maja said:

Height offset adds up to the terrain height, so that set altitude is correct. BV takes only latitude and longitude from a waypoint, but I will check it regardless, just to be sure :)

I assumed the offset only applies when loading a craft, though. If it adds to the altitude when unloaded, that can create situations that are hard to recover from, since setting the offset to something lower than the actual craft altitude doesn't seem to do anything. I had to edit my save to stop that rover from splashing.

Will be playing around with this more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, BTAxis said:

I assumed the offset only applies when loading a craft, though. If it adds to the altitude when unloaded, that can create situations that are hard to recover from, since setting the offset to something lower than the actual craft altitude doesn't seem to do anything. I had to edit my save to stop that rover from splashing.

Will be playing around with this more.

The position and altitude is set when a rover moves, so you can switch to it anytime. After it arrives to the destination, then it's safe to change it's altitude in the save file, because it will not be overwritten.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BTAxis said:

Well, the last few times I switched it didn't eat my rover, so I don't know why it kept disintegrating so much. Oh well.

Also, it drove to the pickup craft quite accurately!

You can edit the lat and lon values after selecting the target before you send a rover on its way. Just delete a few numbers after decimal point. There isn't a way to tell, if a target spot will be occupied by another vessel, when a rover is moving, so it's up to you to provide correct coordinates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BTAxis said:

Also, it drove to the pickup craft quite accurately!

I always set a waypoint about 10 meters from the craft and then send the rover there rather than the craft. I have found that otherwise, there can be... explosions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I need some help with my rovers. They don't want to drive.

Generated power seems wrong. Even more RTGs or mor solar panels do not help. Generated powers remains at 0.06 and needed power at 0.33. But overall power budget is positiv.

I am using Kerbalism in a RO/RP-1 setup.

I can't upload an image, because no service is accepted here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because Imgur is not working, too. Maybe that direct link helps.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/r8x5lWA" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/r8x5lWA"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://imgur.com/a/r8x5lWA

Edited by New Horizons
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might already be a thing and I've just missed it, but since switching away from the craft is required for it to travel anyway, it'd be very nice if you could also issue commands without switching to it. This way you could execute trips with different stops without loading the craft every time, which would pair well with things like Kerbalism's background science.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@New HorizonsThe latest BV version needs compatibility check. I'm not sure, if all supported mods are still supported. It seems, that support for Kerbalism will be overhauled, because there are other issues.

 

38 minutes ago, limelier said:

This might already be a thing and I've just missed it, but since switching away from the craft is required for it to travel anyway, it'd be very nice if you could also issue commands without switching to it. This way you could execute trips with different stops without loading the craft every time, which would pair well with things like Kerbalism's background science.

Can you add it to github issues? I can't tell, if it's possible, but I will look into it. https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/issues

 

As usual, life has tendency to mess with my plans. I'm still here with plans to maintain and update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do need rovers 1/3 of wheel power as generated power? I recently landed a rover on Duna, which was only 5 % shy of driving via Bon Voyage but having perpetual energy production even through night.  I wish Ii could alter this requirement at least in config files. I think needed energy should be calculated as a net energy after substracting all other usages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Why do need rovers 1/3 of wheel power as generated power? I recently landed a rover on Duna, which was only 5 % shy of driving via Bon Voyage but having perpetual energy production even through night.  I wish Ii could alter this requirement at least in config files. I think needed energy should be calculated as a net energy after substracting all other usages.

This is from the first versions. Wheels have maximum power consumption, so it was established by the original author of this mod, that you need 35% of that maximum to operate a rover. You can disable some wheels to lower the requerement. BV counts only powered wheels. The drawback is, that your rover will have lower speed. I take it as quid pro quo. You have autopilot, which moves your rover behind scenes, but you need some power to operate it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disabling wheels is not an option on a rover with 4 wheels. Besides ROWheels does not allow to disable wheels. 

I which that Bon Voyage module had its dedicated power consumption instead of assuming 35 % wheel power with using up more power than all parts combined while having perpetual net power even with all wheels at 100 %. And why is traveling velocity reduced by about a factor of 10 anyways?

To me that Bon Voyage module is a artificial power sink and it is overcompensating here drastically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the help of the RO discord, I learned that RO and Kerbalism alter RTGs in a way, that Bon voyage is not detecting them properly. Best way should be to activate infinity electric energy in cheat menue before sending rovers on a bon voyage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I encountered a rather interesting behaviour after starting a new (slightly modded, mostly sticking to the USI suite this time and a couple visuals) career (game 1.12, mod 1.4):

The first waypoint always works fine, no issues whatsoever, but after switching back to a rover on the second waypoint (on kerbin specifically, I haven't put a rover anywhere else yet, it's still early in my tech tree), it instantly gets spaghettified and/or devoured by a miniature blackhole somewhere around the CoM :huh:
Tried offstetting the rover's altitude with a quick save edit but it doesn't appear to be related to be stuck in terrain, but I have a couple ideas I have yet to try...

Turns out nothing I tried fixes it.
It always turns into itself, the F3 window lists a whole bunch of "structural link failures". Guess I'm sticking to KSP 1.11 then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nvm a tweakscaled part was the problem :rolleyes:

Scratch that it still explodes *SIGH*

 
 
 
Edited by Feye
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Feye, I was having the exact problem you describe on Duna, using a lightly modified "Butterfly Rover" from the set of stock vehicles (it's an option to enable them when you start a game).  Using your hint to use F3 to figure out which things were consistently getting the 'structural link failures', it was always the propellers first (that rover has 4 wheels but also two rotors for extra speed).  I tried locking the motors at zero RPM, still exploded.  Then I used an engineer to disassemble just the rotor assembly (remove the propellers and the rotatory engine).  After that, no explosions!  Was able to nav to all the anomalies on Duna, which was awesome.

Always travel with an engineer!  Never know when you'll need them :-)

Thank you to the mod authors!  This amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thing keeps getting launched up into the air when I switch away from it if BV is active and has a target

BV 1.4.0 from CKAN and KSP 1.12.2.

It's not just spawning at height, but actually getting launched straight up, ie I'm switching to another craft in physics range.  Edit, it apears to happen if I switch to something just outside physics range (but close enough to use the [ and ] keys), then switch back to one that is in physics range.

2HI9JTp.png

Edited by se5a
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, se5a said:

This thing keeps getting launched up into the air when I switch away from it if BV is active and has a target

I find that if my rover has any clipped parts then is is a prime candidate for Bon Voyage Kraken attacks such as you describe.

I recently installed the "World Stabilizer" mod and the Bon Voyage Kraken attacks seem to have disappeared (mostly).  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might just set it and not come back to it till it's arrived. it might be fine that way.

Yeah that doesn't even work, I even tried editing the save file to disable the BV module, but nope. I might have to remove it entirely from the rover.

I really hope ksp2 doesn't have these problems.

Edited by se5a
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...