[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stk2008 said:

It does not physically move the rover to the chosen location.

ooooohh, that has more sense

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

It will only matter when the rover arrives at a location and you switch to it. It will interact with any parallax collisions directly beneath it.

basically i have to get sure to move it to a plain zone

thanks dudes

16 hours ago, LucalisIndustries said:

ooooohh, that has more sense

basically i have to get sure to move it to a plain zone

thanks dudes

There are checks for power dependent on consumption of active wheels (wheels with motor on), sufficient count of wheels (atleast three operable wheels touching ground) and if your target point is on land (rovers) or sea (ships). Also pathfinding checks accessibility of that point. You can't travel to another continent for example. There is the 10 second time limit to find a path to not block the game. You must choose a closer point sometimes, because of that.

BV tries to move the rover a few meters above the terrain (you can change it in settings) every time it moves it, but you must be sure, that there isn't another vessel or building in that place when you switch to it. Also some rover designs tends to clip to the terrain, because BV considers a root part for determining correct height above terrain. So if you have a long rover, it can clip to some hill even if the root part is out of danger zone.

One hint. If you are targeting another vessel, you can change latitude and longitude manually after a selection.  Just edit the numbers for lat and long. It's usually enough to shave off decimal digits from these numbers to have enough room between the two vessels upon arrival.

Edited by maja

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:18 AM, The Blazer said:

Hello. I wanted to test this mod, so I created a FUR rover with all the requirements and the BV controller. After launch, I moved West of the runway, as specified, so the MET timer starts ticking. Then I tried to activate the BV controller, but I see no buttons on the UI, and no new options when I click both the FUR cabin and BV controller. Where is supposed to be the menu? Is there something missing?

Btw, I returned after a while, and I managed to make it work. It wasn't functioning the first time cause Dumbo me installed the wrong version.

To the creators: thank you very much for this mod, I love it. 

So, I'm not sure if this is an end-user error or a bug. I'm going to go with end-user error, and you can tell me if I'm wrong. :)

I've got a small rover using a pair of RTGs (PB-NUK) for primary power. They generate enough EC to keep the rover going indefinitely, with a ~+1 EC. I have a backup Karbonite generator onboard, which will allow it to run with BV, but turning on only Batteries in the control panel, or nothing enabled both say that there's not enough EC to work. Is +1 EC insufficient margin? Is there another configuration issue I'm missing?

I saw that the latest version adds NFE/System Heat support, so I'm not sure if I need to do anything different to allow functionality. 
(If it's a bug, let me know, and I'll share logs.)

Thanks!

9 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

I've got a small rover using a pair of RTGs (PB-NUK) for primary power.

Looks like it works here.

Spoiler

VNce8Ts.jpg

bE1wzmd.jpg

9 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

I saw that the latest version adds NFE/System Heat support, so I'm not sure if I need to do anything different to allow functionality. 

I use NFE but not System Heat if that makes any difference.

Edited by HansAcker

Hm. Thanks for checking. On mine it is coming up with 8.19 required power (and 1.50 Ec/s generated). It's a 6 wheel vehicle instead of 4, so that may be part of the difference between mine and yours on the requirement. 

It could be that I don't drive at full speed? Is there a way to adjust what speed the mod uses to calculate power draw? 

Edit:

To be clear, I saw this in the docs, and didn't think I was hitting that in the real world, but that may also have to do with using 3:1 gearing for the rover? 
"To start moving, your power production must be at least 35% of wheels max consumption in case of rovers. In case of ships, you must have enough of fuel or electric power for operating engines."

Edited by WarrenSchultz

4 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

A check box for "Limit speed to available power" or something similar. I don't care that it'll take a while, I just want it to start rolling

It actually does. You do need at least 25% (or 35%?) of the required power, though. A third NUK should bring your rover's power up to it.

Edit: I didn't see your edit :)

Spoiler

n4cwNvV.jpg

Edited by HansAcker

7 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

Feeling like an idiot now, but figured out a solution. Because it is compatible with KF wheels (of which I have 6), i can throttle down the motor limit on each one to bring it into range. :)

It counts every online motor. You can shut some of them off (you need at least two active) or as you did, throttle KF compatible wheels down.

Karbonite generator isn't supported.  To be precise, untested.

Edited by maja

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Zaxxon said:

Hi, anyone know if this mod works okay on KSP 1.12.4?   CKAN is reporting it only supports up to 1.12.3.  Thanks!

New KSP version? Again? :confused:

BV has only one valid version of KSP, but generally it will work for all 1.12.x version. Regardless, rebuild is on its way.

Edited by maja

On 1/14/2023 at 8:44 PM, RB101 said:

This mod currently cannot detect and use the curved solar arrays from Near future Solar Panels as energy generation :/

Any possibility of a compatibility patch?

Maybe. I think, that there was some issue with compatibility before, so I cannot promise anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The docs state that rotation is based on root part.  Any chance for an option to make it dynamically based on control part?  Like a dock port?

Also, getting "no route found" for target 500m away over open flat ground.  Not in prelaunch, rover has been moved.  No specific rover command module though. MK1 capsule as root, oriented horizontally with control set to default.  BV controller attached and enabled.  Dock port on capsule facing fwd with top up is control part.  My kOS script drives it great am hoping to BV in background for science with it

16 hours ago, darthgently said:

The docs state that rotation is based on root part.  Any chance for an option to make it dynamically based on control part?  Like a dock port?

Also, getting "no route found" for target 500m away over open flat ground.  Not in prelaunch, rover has been moved.  No specific rover command module though. MK1 capsule as root, oriented horizontally with control set to default.  BV controller attached and enabled.  Dock port on capsule facing fwd with top up is control part.  My kOS script drives it great am hoping to BV in background for science with it

Any reason, why make it based on control part? Getting root part and set it's orientation is the easiest way, to be honest.

There is 1000m step when finding a path.  If target is closer, then pathfinding ends and route is planned. If you choose target closer then 1000 meters, then pathfinding ends without a single step, so there is no route to be planned.

8 hours ago, maja said:

Any reason, why make it based on control part? Getting root part and set it's orientation is the easiest way, to be honest.

There is 1000m step when finding a path.  If target is closer, then pathfinding ends and route is planned. If you choose target closer then 1000 meters, then pathfinding ends without a single step, so there is no route to be planned.

Thanks.  The control part is a kOS script way to guarantee via script the control part and rotation as KSP likes to sometimes set command pods from their default settings in the experience of many kOS scripters, and my own.  By using a part with no option to change its control rotation (dock port) a script can set it as control part and avoid all that.  I don't want to modify my tried and true rovers from what works in script just to get them to work with BV.   I mean the control part is the control part, right?  What does the root part have to do with control?  The root part changes with dockings and undockings.  Seems like a sketchy choice for BV to be nailed to.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the 1000m info, didn't see that in the docs but may have missed it

13 hours ago, darthgently said:

Thanks.  The control part is a kOS script way to guarantee via script the control part and rotation as KSP likes to sometimes set command pods from their default settings in the experience of many kOS scripters, and my own.  By using a part with no option to change its control rotation (dock port) a script can set it as control part and avoid all that.  I don't want to modify my tried and true rovers from what works in script just to get them to work with BV.   I mean the control part is the control part, right?  What does the root part have to do with control?  The root part changes with dockings and undockings.  Seems like a sketchy choice for BV to be nailed to.  Just my opinion.

Thanks for the 1000m info, didn't see that in the docs but may have missed it

https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/wiki/Settings#rotation-vector-advanced-tweakable

You can change rotation vector if a rover is rotated wrongly, because the up vector does not mean wheels down. I can be mistaken, but wasn't there a fix some time ago, so the root part is not changed after dock/undock anymore? The root part is easy to find and is used to find height of the rover above terrain also. I had issue with "Control from here", that it kept resetting.

The 1000 meters between centers of grid tiles (hexagonal grid centered on current position) is not in the docs. It is hidden value that is used to limit pathfinding time.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a really quirky experience on my first attempt at using this mod.

Made a simple autonomous rover with a Bon Voyage radar on it, put it on a suborbital rocket and launched it north, landed the rover on the ice sheets near Kerbin's north pole. I had previously used SCANsat to identify a couple of anomalies in that region and marked them with waypoints. Assigned one of those waypoints as the destination with Bon Voyage and sent my rover on its way. After about a week, got a notification that my rover had reached its destination, even though on the tracking station view it was still a good ~30km away from the waypoint. Selected the rover and as soon as I loaded in, it was flipped over on its back and nowhere near its destination. Had to recover it and abort the mission.

Any ideas what could've caused this? The "root part" of my rover was a 1x1 structural panel. I suspect that maybe that particular piece is considered "upside down" as far as Bon Voyage is concerned (hard to tell in the SPH because it's a pretty basic symmetrical piece) and I wonder if that's what caused it to flip. No clue about why it ended up so off course though.

Edited by jaxmed