[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

Raise your glasses and celebrate. Naval operations starts just now!

0.5.0 - Come all you young sailormen, listen to me
Changes

• We are ready to extend our operations to the water
    • Stock jet and rocket motors are supported
    • Support of electric motors from Feline Utility Rovers and USI Exploration Pack mods (and other mods, which has motors based on stock modules)
    • Electric motors are the best ones for extended naval operations
  • MiniAVC removed from the installation, because planned updates are done. If you need notification about new versions, use AVC instead

I'm expecting, that you break something in BV the first moment you put your ship in the water, so this is not the final 1.0 release. That will come with KSP 1.8 :cool:

Wait... so I can build a big ship, give it engines, plonk my crafts on it (coupled/docked), and tell it to sail to the other side of kerbin/eve/laythe?

This changes EVERYTHING. 

Edit: one trillion thanks to you!

Edited by Jognt

15 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Wait... so I can build a big ship, give it engines, plonk my crafts on it (coupled/docked), and tell it to sail to the other side of kerbin/eve/laythe?

This changes EVERYTHING. 

Edit: one trillion thanks to you!

Yes :) 

I recommend for long distances electric engines. Even jets are a little bit hungry, not mentioning rocket engines, because we are talking about ships. Hard limit for speed is 50m/s and there is some influence of mass, thrust and fluid density (I learned a few things about drag during development). So it's easier to move on Laythe and harder on Eve compared to Kerbin.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:19 PM, maja said:

Yes :) 

I recommend for long distances electric engines. Even jets are a little bit hungry, not mentioning rocket engines, because we are talking about ships. Hard limit for speed is 50m/s and there is some influence of mass, thrust and fluid density (I learned a few things about drag during development). So it's easier to move on Laythe and harder on Eve compared to Kerbin.

What module(s) do you look for? ModuleEngineFX?

6 minutes ago, Jognt said:

What module(s) do you look for? ModuleEngineFX?

ModuleEnginesFx is used for jets and ModuleEngines for rocket engines. Electric engines from supported mods are using ModuleEnginesFx.

Edited by maja

@maja , I finally tracked down which mod causes that Bon Voyage menu not to show. It's not Kopernicus, it's the Modular Flight Integrator. Without it, Bon Voyage works perfectly. Problem is, Modular Flight Integrator is essential for numerous other must-have mods, like FAR. Modular Flight Integrator hasn't been updated in a long while now, and it seems dead, yet it's still a dependency for many mods. Is there any way you can work around this issue in the next Bon Voyage release?

32 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

@maja , I finally tracked down which mod causes that Bon Voyage menu not to show. It's not Kopernicus, it's the Modular Flight Integrator. Without it, Bon Voyage works perfectly. Problem is, Modular Flight Integrator is essential for numerous other must-have mods, like FAR. Modular Flight Integrator hasn't been updated in a long while now, and it seems dead, yet it's still a dependency for many mods. Is there any way you can work around this issue in the next Bon Voyage release?

Uhm, did you test in a clean install? I could swear bon voyage works fine in my JNSQ (and thus Kopernicus/MFI) game. 

I’ll double check later. 

34 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

With which mod(s) you have is MFI bundled?

12 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Uhm, did you test in a clean install? I could swear bon voyage works fine in my JNSQ (and thus Kopernicus/MFI) game. 

I’ll double check later. 

Yes. My Gamedata folder list:

BonVoyage

Kopernicus

OPM

CTTP (comes with OPM)

Squad

SquadExpansion

ModularFlightIntegrator

Without MFI, Bon Voyage works, with MFI it doesn't.

9 minutes ago, maja said:

With which mod(s) you have is MFI bundled?

I am not entirely sure which mods require it (I have a long mod list, not to be confused with the one above), but I think it came with FAR, and it's certainly a dependency. MFI version is 1.2.6.

3 minutes ago, maja said:

@aluc24 ok, I'll look into it. If I remember correctly, Kopernicus is using stock flight integrator. So it's possible, that MFI does not handle the latest versions of KSP well.

That is very likely. I hope there is some way to work around it, because MFI is still used by FAR, and it doesn't look like MFI is going to be updated any time soon. Thank you!

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

That is very likely. I hope there is some way to work around it, because MFI is still used by FAR, and it doesn't look like MFI is going to be updated any time soon. Thank you!

I'm not at home, but I found, that Kopernicus needs MFI and has the latest version (1.2.6) bundled. That means, that I tested it already without an error. Did you tried a clean copy of KSP? Steam sometimes leaves old files on disk during updates.

18 minutes ago, maja said:

I'm not at home, but I found, that Kopernicus needs MFI and has the latest version (1.2.6) bundled. That means, that I tested it already without an error. Did you tried a clean copy of KSP? Steam sometimes leaves old files on disk during updates.

I tested it again with fresh install and the mod list that I quoted in the previous post. Same thing. With MFI, the BV control panel does not open.

6 minutes ago, maja said:

@aluc24

KSP 1.7.3 + DLCs

BonVoyage 0.5.0

Kopernicus 1.7.3.1

MFI 1.2.6

OPM 2.2.5

CCTP 1.0.4

Module manager 4.0.2

...and nothing. All is good. Can someone else test it with this combination of mods and verify it?

I double-checked the versions of each mod... It's correct. I'm very surprised that you couldn't reproduce it. This is certainly weird. I launched with this mod combination again, tried to open BV panel, and the log reads this at the end:

[EXC 19:02:04.995] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    BonVoyage.KopernicusWrapper.GetCurrentStarName ()
    BonVoyage.Tools.GetMainStar (.Vessel v)
    BonVoyage.BVController.SystemCheck ()
    BonVoyage.RoverController.SystemCheck ()
    BonVoyage.ControlWindowModel.SetController (BonVoyage.BVController controller)
    BonVoyage.BonVoyage.ShowControlWindow ()
    BonVoyage.BonVoyage.ToggleControlWindow ()
    BonVoyage.BonVoyageModule.BVControlPanel ()
    BaseEvent.Invoke ()
    UIPartActionButton.OnClick ()
    UnityEngine.Events.InvokableCall.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.Events.UnityEvent.Invoke ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.Press ()
    UnityEngine.UI.Button.OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute (IPointerClickHandler handler, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.ExecuteEvents.Execute[IPointerClickHandler] (UnityEngine.GameObject target, UnityEngine.EventSystems.BaseEventData eventData, UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventFunction`1 functor)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()

I think it's the same one as last time. I put my Gamedata folder and the saves folder into an archive, you can get it here - https://we.tl/t-6t6HbVrhPE. Maybe you'll see something that I missed... The save is called Test, and it has a rover sitting on a runway.

I just wanted to say thank you for this amazing mod, it has single-handedly made MSL-style rovers feasible. Also, I had a question. Would Bon Voyage recognize Kerbal Foundries tank treads or any other type of "wheel" as such? I'd rather not launch a rover to Tetko just to find out on arrival that BV cannot autopilot it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, BadModder54 said:

I just wanted to say thank you for this amazing mod, it has single-handedly made MSL-style rovers feasible. Also, I had a question. Would Bon Voyage recognize Kerbal Foundries tank treads or any other type of "wheel" as such? I'd rather not launch a rover to Tetko just to find out on arrival that BV cannot autopilot it. Thanks!

Thanks. Kerbal Foundries wheels and tracks (KSPWheel module) are supported a long time. I updated the OP and wiki, because this information wasn't there.

2 hours ago, aluc24 said:

I double-checked the versions of each mod... It's correct. I'm very surprised that you couldn't reproduce it. This is certainly weird. I launched with this mod combination again, tried to open BV panel, and the log reads this at the end:

I think it's the same one as last time. I put my Gamedata folder and the saves folder into an archive, you can get it here - https://we.tl/t-6t6HbVrhPE. Maybe you'll see something that I missed... The save is called Test, and it has a rover sitting on a runway.

Found it! Your installation of Kopernicus contains two files, that are not in mine and that are not in the latest release. Kopernicus.Components.dll and Kopernicus.OnDemand.dll.One of them or both are the culprit, because when I deleted them, the exception was gone. I don't know, if they're left there from an older installation or some other mod installed them.

Edited by maja

1 hour ago, maja said:

Thanks. Kerbal Foundries wheels and tracks (KSPWheel module) are supported a long time. I updated the OP and wiki, because this information wasn't there.

Found it! Your installation of Kopernicus contains two files, that are not in mine and that are not in the latest release. Kopernicus.Components.dll and Kopernicus.OnDemand.dll.One of them or both are the culprit, because when I deleted them, the exception was gone. I don't know, if they're left there from an older installation or some other mod installed them.

Probably there from pre-1.7 kopernicus. 1.7 kopernicus recieved a major refactor which (among other things) unified everything in the one .dll so it’s possible these weren’t removed when the folder was overwritten. 

5 hours ago, maja said:

Thank you very much!!! Deleting these two dll's fixed it. Damn. I always update my mods manually (I read that's the better way as opposed to CKAN), and I always overwrite on top of the old versions of the mods so I get to save the configs. Never occurred to me that a situation like this could ever happen. How do I make sure this never happens again when updating mods?

today I had a small problem: a few days ago I sent one of my rovers on the moon to a long distance destination. today I realized that it had arrived, and when I started to pilot it to conduct a survey, it exploded (only some of its pieces).
Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by jaunco325

1 hour ago, jaunco325 said:

today I had a small problem: a few days ago I sent one of my rovers on the moon to a long distance destination. today I realized that it had arrived, and when I started to pilot it to conduct a survey, it exploded (only some of its pieces).
Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Too little information. If you press F3 after explosion, you can see in the window reason why it happened and what exploded. If it's nearly stock game and you have save file before switching to the rover, then I can test it.

5 hours ago, aluc24 said:

How do I make sure this never happens again when updating mods?

I always check, that a new version has the same files before updating and overwriting. But it's still better to delete whole folder and set config again.

Edited by maja

50 minutes ago, maja said:

Too little information. If you press F3 after explosion, you can see in the window reason why it happened and what exploded. If it's nearly stock game and you have save file before switching to the rover, then I can test it.

I did not know that. He says he suffered damage by colliding with the ground. It seems that only some wheels exploded.
Yes, I have the file, how do I pass the game?
with "stock game" you mean it doesn't have any mod?

Edited by jaunco325

2 hours ago, jaunco325 said:

I did not know that. He says he suffered damage by colliding with the ground. It seems that only some wheels exploded.
Yes, I have the file, how do I pass the game?
with "stock game" you mean it doesn't have any mod?

Upload it somewhere, where I can download it. If you have a few mods, it's all right too, but I don't want to install too much mods. I just need list of them.

Edit: Alternatively, if you know how, you can set your rover's position a little bit higher. I think, that you are clipping a terrain for some reason, but I want to know why, if possible.

Edited by maja