maja

[KSP 1.7.3] Bon Voyage (0.5.3) - 2019-08-29

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Came up with a request/suggestion for BV:

How about a 'park xxx m away' optional option? with xxx being set to say 20m but is either a slider and/or data entry box?

2nd one is just park on x side (as in N E S W)

3rd one is Jeb mode - drive in random direction for x amount of time. zigzags allowd :P

 

1st and 2nd You can manually set coordinates, so change it as you like.

3rd Jeb disagrees to your sugestion, that he's not fully professional pilot of any vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the park a distance away - it's really only a surprise the first time.  (Might be worth a warning in the window when you click 'target'.)   My normal solution is to truncate the position to about 2/3 decimal places, it's usually enough to have you miss.  (Either that or aim for a sacrificial flag.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DStaal said:

For the park a distance away - it's really only a surprise the first time.  (Might be worth a warning in the window when you click 'target'.)   My normal solution is to truncate the position to about 2/3 decimal places, it's usually enough to have you miss.  (Either that or aim for a sacrificial flag.)

I'm guessing the coordinates don't represent a specific distance due to differing planet sizes? If not, how much even is "10 meters" in coordinates? o_O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jognt said:

I'm guessing the coordinates don't represent a specific distance due to differing planet sizes? If not, how much even is "10 meters" in coordinates? o_O

As you say they don't represent a specific distance. The distance in meters per degree varies from planet to planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 7:31 PM, maja said:

3rd Jeb disagrees to your sugestion, that he's not fully professional pilot of any vehicle.

Purposefully zig-zagging is a highly difficult skill to master, especially if one desires the zig and zag to be apparently random. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 2:41 PM, Starwaster said:

As you say they don't represent a specific distance. The distance in meters per degree varies from planet to planet.

This is one case where nautical miles would come in handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

On 7/11/2019 at 1:11 PM, Jognt said:

I'm guessing the coordinates don't represent a specific distance due to differing planet sizes? If not, how much even is "10 meters" in coordinates? o_O

The distance between coordinates even differs depending on where you are on a planet; lines of longitude converge as you move away from the equator.

this makes drawing flat maps of certain places very difficult.

Edited by Nightside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@maja

can you add to the "set to active target" a truncate function?
at what decimal place to trunc needs to be chaked (mun,minmus, eve and duna being the most common places to use BV on)
i think 4 is what usually works for me on mun

or if you have the inclination and time trunc based on bode and latlan posetion

that way it will miss most of the time, the only problem will be the inconsistent miss distance, but i think that is better then forgetting to change the latlng and blowing up :)

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, to end this. There are numerous situations, when you need precision, and on the other hand, when you need safe distance. That's the reason, you can change latitude and longitude manually. I can give you a hint, how much is one degree in meters at target destination, but I don't want to bloat that window with more controls and I want to keep it universal as much as I can. I'm glad for your input, but BV can't be tailored just for a few people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, danielboro said:

@maja

can you add to the "set to active target" a truncate function?
at what decimal place to trunc needs to be chaked (mun,minmus, eve and duna being the most common places to use BV on)
i think 4 is what usually works for me on mun

or if you have the inclination and time trunc based on bode and latlan posetion

that way it will miss most of the time, the only problem will be the inconsistent miss distance, but i think that is better then forgetting to change the latlng and blowing up :)

thanks

Oh, good idea! I’ll just truncate them manually next time I use it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, maja said:

Ok, to end this. There are numerous situations, when you need precision, and on the other hand, when you need safe distance. That's the reason, you can change latitude and longitude manually. I can give you a hint, how much is one degree in meters at target destination, but I don't want to bloat that window with more controls and I want to keep it universal as much as I can. I'm glad for your input, but BV can't be tailored just for a few people.

you are correct.

i wold like to point out that a target, unlike waypoint or spot chosen on the map, is a vessel that should always be avoided.

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danielboro said:

you are correct.

i wold like to point out that a target, unlike waypoint or spot chosen on the map, is a vessel that should always be avoided.

thank you

It can be another rover or a base. Is then 10 meters enough? 20? 30? Don't you accidentally hit another, not targeted, vessel there? There are a lot of options, therefore I rather leave it to a player to decide.

I understand your problem and it arised after a certain KSP update I think, because nothing changed in the code, which handles the last part of the way (the final approach), but there are a lot of other variables that must be taken into account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying out Bon Voyage in KSP 1.7.3, and the Show Control Panel button is not working (control panel does not open). Is this because the BV hasn't been compiled to 1.7.3 yet, or is this some other issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

I am trying out Bon Voyage in KSP 1.7.3, and the Show Control Panel button is not working (control panel does not open). Is this because the BV hasn't been compiled to 1.7.3 yet, or is this some other issue?

It's some other issue (I have no idea what it could be), but I'm using BV almost daily in 1.7.3 without issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

I am trying out Bon Voyage in KSP 1.7.3, and the Show Control Panel button is not working (control panel does not open). Is this because the BV hasn't been compiled to 1.7.3 yet, or is this some other issue?

Must be something different, I just tried it a few days ago and the latest bon voyage worked perfectly fine on 1.7.3 for me. If you mind to post a log file, we might be able to figure out the issue :)

edit: Hm...no "someone replied" notification while writing :ph34r:

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Must be something different, I just tried it a few days ago and the latest bon voyage worked perfectly fine on 1.7.3 for me. If you mind to post a log file, we might be able to figure out the issue :)

edit: Hm...no "someone replied" notification while writing :ph34r:

Sure. Here is my log: https://pastebin.com/u4aMe6qw

(Not all of it, since it's too large).

As you can see, there is an exception at the end, when I click that Bon Voyage Control Panel button. I hope you can find what's wrong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Sure. Here is my log: https://pastebin.com/u4aMe6qw

(Not all of it, since it's too large).

As you can see, there is an exception at the end, when I click that Bon Voyage Control Panel button. I hope you can find what's wrong there.

Do you have the right version of Kopernicus for KSP 1.7.3?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maja said:

Do you have the right version of Kopernicus for KSP 1.7.3?

Yes sir. I checked that twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aluc24 said:

Yes sir. I checked that twice.

Then you can either test it on clean instal with Kopernicus and BV only or wait until I test it and fix it, if there is incompatibility with the latest version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, maja said:

Then you can either test it on clean instal with Kopernicus and BV only or wait until I test it and fix it, if there is incompatibility with the latest version.

I would prefer to wait, since I need all these other mods for my save... Thank you sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, maja said:

Then you can either test it on clean instal with Kopernicus and BV only or wait until I test it and fix it, if there is incompatibility with the latest version.

Î just did a test with:

  • Kopernicus, stock solar system
  • GPP
  • GPP + GEP (so two stars are around)

and it worked fine for me in every case.

@aluc24 which planet pack(s) do you run?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Î just did a test with:

  • Kopernicus, stock solar system
  • GPP
  • GPP + GEP (so two stars are around)

and it worked fine for me in every case.

@aluc24 which planet pack(s) do you run?

Outer Planets.

 

EDIT: I will re-download that pack, since I'm not entirely sure if I have the latest version. Maybe that's the culprit.

Edited by aluc24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried with the latest version of Outer Planets. Problem still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi im using bon voyage 1.7.2

 

and its keeps saying (no path to target)

i have 1 rover 50 meters away from the runway and 1 right next to the runway   but its not working 

plz explain

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bolttanker said:

hi im using bon voyage 1.7.2

 

and its keeps saying (no path to target)

i have 1 rover 50 meters away from the runway and 1 right next to the runway   but its not working 

plz explain

 

After picking the target, click on "Set" in the control panel (next to the coordinates), then on "GO" :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.