[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

5 hours ago, maja said:

Bon Voyage will try to rotate a rover perpendicularly to a terrain

Almost :D

I've done a few test drives on Dres and my rover always ended in this position:

48rUKHE.png

I guess, the angle depends on the orientation of the probecore/ bon voyage module or any other part? If that's right, you may want to pick the orientation of the rover when the 'go' button is pressed (right after checking the wheels for beeing on the ground) and use these values as a reference?

14 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Almost :D

I've done a few test drives on Dres and my rover always ended in this position:

48rUKHE.png

I guess, the angle depends on the orientation of the probecore/ bon voyage module or any other part? If that's right, you may want to pick the orientation of the rover when the 'go' button is pressed (right after checking the wheels for beeing on the ground) and use these values as a reference?

That is a familiar look :D Is that rover stock? Can you upload the craft file somewhere?

I think it depends on the orientation of a probecore, but it's hard to test all possibilities (players are inventive). I tested it with Crater crawler, Karibou, Malemute and Lynx and it was ok. Picking up the right orientation reference isn't that easy.

Edited by maja

2 minutes ago, maja said:

That is a familiar look :D Is that rover stock? Can you upload the craft file somewhere?

I think, it depends on the orientation of a probecore, but it's hard to test al possibilities (players are inventive). I tested it with Crater crawler, Karibou, Malemute and Lynx and it was ok.

Nope, it's one of my own designs and by far not the best :D I just grabbed a random craft from my 'rovers' folder for testing but it contains just stock parts (except for the bon voyage module), so if you want to play around with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ihcg5e3w3ri1lk/BIG Rover.craft?dl=0

5 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Nope, it's one of my own designs and by far not the best :D I just grabbed a random craft from my 'rovers' folder for testing but it contains just stock parts (except for the bon voyage module), so if you want to play around with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ihcg5e3w3ri1lk/BIG Rover.craft?dl=0

Thanks. I meant if it's from the stock parts :)

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@maja you're right, totally missed that. Unfortunately, that's a common issue when using probe cores on rovers, especially the 'RoveMate'...

It seems, that for now is the only solution to have properly oriented rover (navball with horizont visible), because "Control from here" does not have influence on that rotation, and I will add a toggle to the controller window to switch rotation off (per rover) in the next update.

After a few other tests, analyses and googling I think, that rotation depends on placement of the root part, but I can't get the right starting values. It's probably set during launch and then computed, when a vessel moves through the world. Bon Voyage is moving vessels in the background and this messes with a vessel's rotation.

I have an idea regarding the rotation of a rover. Adding an advanced tweakable, which will set a rotation vector you need for a specific rover. You can fine tune it, if the default rotation vector puts a rover on the wrong side. I will add a toggle to switch rotation on/off to the settings too, so when something goes wrong, the rotation can be overriden. Bear in mind, that a rotation and up/down positioning of a rover is done only if it just arrived to a destination or when you are switching to it during a ride. After that, it's handled by the KSP once again.

Edited by maja

Is here someone, who wants to test the new changes? Rotation vector tweak, rotation disabling and need of full control of probes, if you are using CommNet? I can make a prerelease.

I plan to add battery usage and RemoteTech support to the next release, but I'll be off for a few days, so don't expect release before middle or end of the next week. We are still in the overhaul phase (you can check progress on github, there's an issue for it), that's the reason for an update once a week (two weeks).

Edit: You can get it on github

Edited by maja

5 hours ago, maja said:

Is here someone, who wants to test the new changes? Rotation vector tweak, rotation disabling and need of full control of probes, if you are using CommNet? I can make a prerelease.

Do you need anything tested in particular?

I never drove a rover without any pilots but since you mentioned the CommNet: Was is possible to drive a rover without CommNet connection?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Do you need anything tested in particular?

I never drove a rover without any pilots but since you mentioned the CommNet: Was is possible to drive a rover without CommNet connection?

Nothing in particular, just to test, if it's working as inteded (for example your rover you tried needs the rotation vector set to down) and to improve your gameplay :)

Yes, it was possible to drive without a connection, but when this mod was created, there wasn't any CommNet. Only RemoteTech.

BV seems to be working much better since I succeeded in updating to 1.5.1, but I did discover a fairly serious flaw in its programming. After I attached a BV module to one of my older mobile bases on tylo, I programmed it to drive to one of my older stationary bases which will be used to ferry the mobile base's excess crew up to orbit to transfer to Kerbin return shuttle that will arrive in Jool orbit in about 100 in game days and make stops in orbit of every Joolian moon. I targeted the base itself as the BV destination, and then forgot about this for 48 hours. While i wasn't remembering the drive happening on Tylo, I rescued three new kerbals around Kerbin, Bop, and Minmus, transmitted over 3000 science back to the KSP, conducted a half dozen maneuvers, positioned three satellites in their contracted orbits around Jool and a few of its moons, and outfitted the rest of my wheel driven mobile bases in game with BV modules. It was a busy two days, since a flotilla I launched to Jool last month finally arrived at Jool. Well imagine my constrination when late last night I remembers about the programmed drive on Tylo, loaded back into the mobile base, and discovered that it indeed had arrived at the much older base, and had interpenetrated into the base like the USS Pegasus in its asteroid! I regret I didn't get a screenshot of the situation, but I had to frantically try to separate the two before with both the invincibility cheats turned on they both flew apart in the most spectacular display of the Kraken I've ever seen. So to save both assets I had to forsake all the work I'd done in the previous two days and reload my save from a backup made on Saturday. Thankfully I should be able to get the same new Kerbals, and I took the opportunity to make a better BV module for attachment to my mobile assets.

19 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

So to save both assets I had to forsake all the work I'd done in the previous two days and reload my save from a backup made on Saturday

:0.0: Do you still have the latest savefile? By editing some numbers in your savefile, you can separate the base and the rover to a safe distance

@maja

Ok, strange things are happening here...I was driving around my rover across Kerbin, got some issues and started to write down the issues here. Then, the game crashed (probably not related) and after restarting KSP, I can no longer replicate the issues. I'm not quiet sure what happend there but since it might be helpful anyway, I'll leave the part I've written earlier but I want to point out, that neither the NRE, nor the 'burried rover' appeared again. The only issue that persists is a heavy FPS impact when the rover is loaded after a trip (FPS drops from 60 to 6 for a few seconds).

I'll take a look at the new CommNet support tomorrow :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------No longer replicable----------------------------------------------

So far, it doesn't look very well :/

On the bright side: Setting the rotation vector works perfectly fine and the rover is now correctly orientated :)

Not so bright: The rover tends to be burried again:

Spoiler

6mm2W25.png

Just the experiment is visible, the rest of the rover is burried :(

Also, as soon as I want to send the rover on a trip a second time, I'm getting several NREs. Can be reproduced by setting up a route, wait for the rover to arrive, and setting up a new route. After switching the scene, the NRE appears:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BonVoyage.RoverController.Update (Double currentTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at BonVoyage.BonVoyage.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qplk71qlnj03tmf/output_log(BV_0.14.1.3-pre).txt?dl=0

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Do you still have the latest savefile? By editing some numbers in your savefile, you can separate the base and the rover to a safe distance

I have no ability or luck at coding, and the last time I tried to edit my save file I not only corrupted it but also caused a unity error and memory overflow. I'm fine with the sacrifice I had to make, its a learning experience.

Edited by Zosma Procyon

I had a few issues with rovers being buried, tweaking world stabiliser to 20.0 maximum height adjust (from 2.0) seems to have fixed it Really is working well in the short time I've been playing.

One thing I think I remember doing from an older version was re-programing without reloading the vessel, this helped a little when spawning on cliffs or undergrond and It might be useful to re-implement for situations like Zosma Procyon experienced.

I'd be happy to test fly any updates for you.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I had a few issues with rovers being buried, tweaking world stabiliser to 20.0 maximum height adjust (from 2.0) seems to have fixed it Really is working well in the short time I've been playing.

One thing I think I remember doing from an older version was re-programing without reloading the vessel, this helped a little when spawning on cliffs or undergrond and It might be useful to re-implement for situations like Zosma Procyon experienced.

I'd be happy to test fly any updates for you.

The new version fixes the altitude problems. I admit, it's a variation of the World Stabilizer code :)

Reprogramming without reloading? Do you mean changing lat and lon in a savefile?

Edited by maja

@4x4cheesecake There is a new prerelease. I hope, that I identified the code, which generates that nullref. I don't know why it is generated, but catching it will help. There must be something not fully initialized during a scene change. Also, I halved move down cycle (this means quicker transition to a flight scene) and raised the altitude limit for the up movement.

13 minutes ago, maja said:

@4x4cheesecake There is a new prerelease. I hope, that I identified the code, which generates that nullref. I don't know why it is generated, but catching it will help. There must be something not fully initialized during a scene change. Also, I halved move down cycle (this means quicker transition to a flight scene) and raised the altitude limit for the up movement.

I'll take a look at it as soon as I'm back home :)