[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

@Tonka Crash Is it possible, that you had some fuel tanks locked? It drains fuel from all unlocked tanks on a vessel. Can you reproduce it with necessary mods only, so I can test it? Also a save file, where I can see the current state of the rover and BV scenario during night will probably help.

@maja Tanks aren't locked. Here's a save Stock 1.7.2, no DLC. BV, Hyperedit and Module Manager are the only mods. I played with it until it triggered the message, but it didn't seem to be from warp.

There are two craft in the save. First is a rover, it's very different than the rover that first had a problem but it's using the same wheels, solar panels and fuel cells.. There is craft in orbit around the Mun that let me shift focus away from the rover. 

@Tonka Crash I can't simulate it, but I still need to fix fuel cell behavior for your case, when fuel cells alone don't have enough power to recharge batteries. Which is maybe ok in principle, you can't shutdown fuel cells without switching to a rover and doing it manually, but I think, that BV can handle it automatically and save a fuel.

New version!

Fixes

• KSP 1.7.2 compatible
  • Fuel cells are switched off during a night, when they don't have enough power to recharge batteries (when they are used as a complement to solar panels), to not waste a fuel.

Last Saturday morning, having landed my first rover on the mun and was excited to take it for a spin.

I repeatedly (unwittingly) murdered my Kerbals in various unplanned daredevil, jumps, flips and pirouettes. All while basically just trying to go forwards and then change direction and stop,. simple things.      Fun..., but I love my Kerbals really and it was beginning to disturb me.

Eventually I got to grips with the settings, controls and tolerances of the vehicle and could march around quite happily at about 20-30 m/s without perishing...... too often ...... there's a couple of mammoth jumps in there that Bob will be telling his Grandkids about over and over.

I had a ground target for a mission which was pretty much on the opposite pole to me, but having made the rover especially for these type of missions, I was determined to use it.

5 hours

5HOURS!!!!!!!!.......................

thank you so much for your time spent on this awesome mod. while I learned a lot in that 5 hours,... I'd pretty much ruled out any more rover travel ever, unless I was looking for some airborne related cheap thrills but on a serious note, if it wasn't for this mod, I wouldn't be making/using any rovers in future so you've rescued a massive part of the game for me.

xx

Edited by SiWalder

3 hours ago, Jognt said:

If you want to (still) have some fun with your (fast) rovers: lower the friction control!

You can live out your Fast&Furious: Munar Mayhem dreams :D

Be sure to quick save first. ;) 

And keep its center of mass low and maybe even think about giving that rover some RCS control...

4 hours ago, Starwaster said:

And keep its center of mass low and maybe even think about giving that rover some RCS control...

If I ever get off my rear to learn to make a proper KSP mod the first mod that I make will be one that adds a vehicleSAS function where SAS only activates if the vehicle is rotated more than 45° off its regular position...
Until then, we just have to resort to using DMagic's Orbital Science Magnetometer as a self-righting mechanism. Works very well!

33 minutes ago, Jognt said:

If I ever get off my rear to learn to make a proper KSP mod the first mod that I make will be one that adds a vehicleSAS function where SAS only activates if the vehicle is rotated more than 45° off its regular position...
Until then, we just have to resort to using DMagic's Orbital Science Magnetometer as a self-righting mechanism. Works very well!

airbrakes and horizontal landing legs as well. will have to remember the magnetometer as well. :P

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

MechJeb has a rover SAS function that used to work pretty well for keeping rovers right side up. BUT it has a breaking ground bug. Having a scanner arm on the rover screws up MechJeb below about 7m/s wanting to flip the rover.

The other thing is have you remapped the rover controls? The default controls on WASD will also want to pitch/roll/yaw the rover with torque wheels. I had the biggest improvement in control just remapping them to the number pad 8462. 

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

The other thing is have you remapped the rover controls? The default controls on WASD will also want to pitch/roll/yaw the rover with torque wheels. I had the biggest improvement in control just remapping them to the number pad 8462. 

*dial-up modem sounds*

... how did I never think of this? Thank you very much!

@maja Is this a bug or a 'feature'?
- Launch rover
- Mark the 'baikanur' launchpad as active waypoint
- Set BV to active waypoint
- Load in when rover arrives
- Watch rover explode due to it being within the launchpad structure

If it's a bug I'll need to remember to backup the log when it happens or recreate it. Honestly hoping if it's a known side effect because remembering stuff isn't my forté.

Edited by Jognt

18 minutes ago, Jognt said:

@maja Is this a bug or a 'feature'?
- Launch rover
- Mark the 'baikanur' launchpad as active waypoint
- Set BV to active waypoint
- Load in when rover arrives
- Watch rover explode due to it being within the launchpad structure

If it's a bug I'll need to remember to backup the log when it happens or recreate it. Honestly hoping if it's a known side effect because remembering stuff isn't my forté.

It's a "feature". The problem is BV is too precise. If you give it a waypoint inside a structure the rover will end up parked inside and explode on load. I generally change the lat or long by a couple tenths from the waypoint to avoid this if I know the waypoint is for a fixed object like a monolith or Baikerbanur. 

If your game already has a rover blowing up on load, the only fix I've found is to manually edit the save and change the location of the rover. 

Edited by Tonka Crash

3 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

It's a "feature". The problem is BV is too precise. If you give it a waypoint inside a structure the rover will end up parked inside and explode on load. I generally change the lat or long by a couple tenths from the waypoint to avoid this if I know the waypoint is for a fixed object like a monolith or Baikerbanur. 

If your game you already has a rover blowing up on load, the only fix I've found is to manually edit the save and change the location of the rover. 

I wouldn't say the precision is a problem. There are many ways to work around it, your way being one of them.

Only reason I asked is because I do not know whether BV should take this into account or not. If it indeed shouldn't/doesn't, then I'll just modify my target location a bit :)

19 hours ago, Jognt said:

Only reason I asked is because I do not know whether BV should take this into account or not. If it indeed shouldn't/doesn't, then I'll just modify my target location a bit :)

BV can't test every place for another object present in the time of computations. Vessels are unloaded at that time, so you have limited access to their description (position and dimensions), and it must be also reasonably quick with computations.

If you know, that there will be something else in the way, then count with it.

Also, BV is moving a rover up when you switch to it after an arrival and it's underground, but it can have problem detecting buildings.

40 minutes ago, maja said:

Also, BV is moving a rover up when you switch to it after an arrival and it's underground, but it can have problem detecting buildings.

Fair enough :)
My rover got stuck in an airpocket under the pad so I can see how it thought it had clearance.

Hi and many thanks for this mod!

I started playing with rovers with this mod installed and, from what I understand, if you set a target location and enable the 'use batteries' options, BV will drive in the night time (no solar electricity recharging) until it reaches 50% of available electric power. The problem is that the rover goes a small distance and then it stops in 'awaiting sunlight' state, without reaching the aforementioned 50% mark. I used no rtg/fuel cell, only solar panels.
Have I misundertood something? Is this the expected behaviour or a bug?

I'm using ksp v1.7.2

1 hour ago, mrb33st said:

Hi and many thanks for this mod!

I started playing with rovers with this mod installed and, from what I understand, if you set a target location and enable the 'use batteries' options, BV will drive in the night time (no solar electricity recharging) until it reaches 50% of available electric power. The problem is that the rover goes a small distance and then it stops in 'awaiting sunlight' state, without reaching the aforementioned 50% mark. I used no rtg/fuel cell, only solar panels.

I'm using ksp v1.7.2

You mean that the rover's speed goes to 0 with the message "Awaiting sunlight", and when you check up on said rover its battery is still at >50%?

Sometimes it helps to press that button that says something like "system check" to freshen up its memory. Worth a try?

8 hours ago, mrb33st said:

The problem is that the rover goes a small distance and then it stops in 'awaiting sunlight' state, without reaching the aforementioned 50% mark. I used no rtg/fuel cell, only solar panels.

That's expected. It reached that mark internally, but EC isn't spent, when you switch to it. I had some reason for it, but I don't know what it was :D

Hi,

When I use Bon Voyage, the rover gets turned over on its side at the destination. Doesn't appear to be a crash because no parts are broke. Even fragile extended solar panels are intact. Yet the rover lies on the side instead of on the wheels. Any ideas?

On 7/7/2019 at 8:37 AM, maja said:

That's expected. It reached that mark internally, but EC isn't spent, when you switch to it. I had some reason for it, but I don't know what it was :D

got it. I was thinking I got something wrong.
thanks!

Came up with a request/suggestion for BV:

How about a 'park xxx m away' optional option? with xxx being set to say 20m but is either a slider and/or data entry box?

2nd one is just park on x side (as in N E S W)

3rd one is Jeb mode - drive in random direction for x amount of time. zigzags allowd :P