[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

1 hour ago, aluc24 said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am running KSP 1.7.3. Was the support for NF Electrical added only for KSP 1.8.1 version of BV?

The same. KSP 1.7.3, BV 0.5.3, NF Electrical 1.0.3. The support for NF is there a long time.

But I see, that you have differnt PAW on the reactor than I (see bellow). Don't you have other mod, which can change the reactor's behavior?

7eZRR8Fh.png

Edited by maja

1 hour ago, maja said:

The same. KSP 1.7.3, BV 0.5.3, NF Electrical 1.0.3. The support for NF is there a long time.

But I see, that you have differnt PAW on the reactor than I (see bellow). Don't you have other mod, which can change the reactor's behavior?

I have Kerbalism, which comes with DynamicBatteryStorage. Perhaps that mod could be related? Otherwise, this is my mod list:

rr1yc7o.png

Do you see anything that could be causing a conflict? If so, I can try removing it to narrow down the problem.

Edited by aluc24

@aluc24 Kerbalism will be the culprit. It removes modules of mods and use it's own in a lot of cases. I had issues with it before KSP 1.5, so I ended with accepting zero power of a rover when Kerbalism was present, but I withdrawed this "support" when I did overhaul of BV for KSP 1.5.1. I don't know, if I want to try it again and start fully supporting Kerbalism. How many of you, Kerbalism users who are using BV, are here anyway?

1 minute ago, maja said:

@aluc24 Kerbalism will be the culprit. It removes modules of mods and use it's own in a lot of cases. I had issues with it before KSP 1.5, so I ended with accepting zero power of a rover when Kerbalism was present, but I withdrawed this "support" when I did overhaul of BV for KSP 1.5.1. I don't know, if I want to try it again and start fully supporting Kerbalism. How many of you, Kerbalism users who are using BV, are here anyway?

Well, I'm one... But I guess I will be dropping Kerbalism. As awesome as it is, it has tons of bugs, and it's incompatibility with so many mods makes it not really worth it in the end.

6 hours ago, aluc24 said:

I have Kerbalism, which comes with DynamicBatteryStorage

Quite the opposite: Kerbalism will recommend that you remove DynamicBatteryStorage if it detects it. It's a listed incompatibility. DBS comes with Near Future Electrics.

5 hours ago, maja said:

Kerbalism will be the culprit. It removes modules of mods and use it's own in a lot of cases.

That is probably true in this case. The reason is that, in order to correctly handle resource/EC production for unloaded vessels and during time warp, Kerbalism has to use a custom implementation for resources and therefor cannot support part modules that generate EC without it knowing about it. That is why the reactor part modules are gone and you don't see the original UI that comes with it. 

How have I lived without this mod for so long, and with so many rovers in many game saves?

iWJs60U.png

I've avoided the mod primarily because I love driving across the vistas of various worlds. With 1.8's retextures, more so than ever.

But there are days when I need to get things done, and driving for hours is a bit taxing. So, with Waypoint Manager also installed, I'm looking forward to many adventures in exploring every meter of most words. Thanks for keeping this mod up and running!

On 11/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, maja said:

:cool::cool::cool:  (sorry :D )

There was change in the tech tree node for the part, because there are now part updates later in the tree, which affects unmanned penalties.

Check your difficulty settings, because buying parts depends on them.

I mean that now the bonvoyage module is unlocked before, in the technology tree?
I still have it next to the rover wheels. Does it apply to saved games?

Edited by jaunco325

On 11/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, jaunco325 said:

I mean that now the bonvoyage module is unlocked before, in the technology tree?
I still have it next to the rover wheels. Does it apply to saved games?

The base part is in the Control category, two updates for the stock tech tree are in Unmanned Tech and Automation categories and the third updated (for CTT) is in the Artificial Intelligence category. The updates reduce unmanned penalty.

The part placement in the tech tree was changed after introducing the part upgrades. What you see in the Unmanned Tech is the first upgrade.

Edited by maja

So I've got the mod working as intended - I think - and i can see it making little teleports with rovers over the course... BUT I've had multiple 'target' vehicles destroyed after the mode drove the rover to them and when I get into physical range it looks like they are on top of each other with the weaker vehicle spontaneously deconstructing itself immediately when in physics range. It would be nice to have a 'come close to' options that is not RIGHT ON TOP of the coordinates of the target ship.

How are others dealing with this?

1 hour ago, Atlas Gaming said:

How are others dealing with this?

Look at lat and lon boxes when you selecting your target. You can edit the numbers, leaving first two digits after dot is usually enough to arrive near a target, and then set it to recompute a route.

Btw, the little teleports are there due to inner workings of KSP.

Other solutions I've used besides rounding/truncating the location:

• Plant a flag (or some other small part that will be out of the way) at an 'arrival point' a few meters away, and target that.  (Knock the flag over if you can - it'll still work.)
  • If the rover is fairly slow, grab it when it's within a couple km of it's target but before it arrives, and drive the rest of the way.

• 1 month later...

Would be cool if this mod just had a checkbox for 'stop early' and stopped 5 or 10m before target... messing around with targets manually from orbit is a pain... so is having to be there live just as the mod brings in a vehicle (it's for automation after all) to stop it just in time. The Mechjeb mod lets you tweak target  - that may be overkill, but stop early in here would simplify things a lot.

Edited by Atlas Gaming

15 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Would be cool if this mod just had a checkbox for 'stop early' and stopped 5 or 10m before target... messing around with targets manually from orbit is a pain... so is having to be there live just as the mod brings in a vehicle (it's for automation after all) to stop it just in time. The Mechjeb mod lets you tweak target  - that may be overkill, but stop early in here would simplify things a lot.

You can tweak in BV target too. Look at coordinates and Set button.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:23 PM, maja said:

Place a waypoint (I'm using Waypoint manager) at an 'arrival point' a few meters away, and target that.

7 hours ago, maja said:

You can tweak in BV target too. Look at coordinates and Set button.

done these.

23 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Would be cool if this mod just had a checkbox for 'stop early' and stopped 5 or 10m before target...

+1 :rep: +1 :funds:

• 5 weeks later...

Fuel Consumption Rules?

How does Bon Voyage calculate fuel and oxidizer consumption, and potential travel speed, in aquatic / naval mode? I'm seeing a considerable disparity between BV's numbers and the capability of Explodium Breathing Engines. Here's the relevant clip from a recent Eve trip I did. Yes it's on JNSQ Eve, but Stock Eve should be close.

https://youtu.be/x9uHm96A7p4?t=1298

How Kerbal Engineer Redux dealt with it, is it treats any propellant with "CheckForISP = False" in an engine config, and ignores that propellant when doing dV and TWR calculations. That works for Stock jets on Kerbin and Laythe, and ExV engines on Eve. Perhaps that's a key? 

8 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Fuel Consumption Rules?

How does Bon Voyage calculate fuel and oxidizer consumption, and potential travel speed, in aquatic / naval mode? I'm seeing a considerable disparity between BV's numbers and the capability of Explodium Breathing Engines. Here's the relevant clip from a recent Eve trip I did. Yes it's on JNSQ Eve, but Stock Eve should be close.

There are other things in the speed calculation formula. Manned/Unmanned, speed cap, drag of liquid, vessel mass etc. It's an approximation based on some assumptions which can be off the mark sometimes. Be aware, that it's the average speed. You need to accelerate and brake sometimes too. Also, it's not tested with Explodium Breathing Engines.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:49 AM, maja said:

If anyone is using Kerbalism and wants to use BonVoyage now, I've been switching to the rover I want to set on a route, then if you turn on "Infinite Electricity" in the Shift+F12 menu you'll be able to set the route. After that I switch back to the tracking station and turn off "Infinite Electricity," the rover will travel normally during time warp and other scenes as long as you don't switch back to the rover.

On 1/26/2020 at 12:53 AM, frencrs said:

If anyone is using Kerbalism and wants to use BonVoyage now, I've been switching to the rover I want to set on a route, then if you turn on "Infinite Electricity" in the Shift+F12 menu you'll be able to set the route. After that I switch back to the tracking station and turn off "Infinite Electricity," the rover will travel normally during time warp and other scenes as long as you don't switch back to the rover.

Yes, that's an option :cool:

I've never had a reason to build a rover until this mod! Thank you!

Quick question. Are the "reserve battery" packs from AmpYear supported? Those would be a cool way to enable night rides on rovers.

Edited by Crixomix

On 2/3/2020 at 9:23 AM, Crixomix said:

I've never had a reason to build a rover until this mod! Thank you!

Quick question. Are the "reserve battery" packs from AmpYear supported? Those would be a cool way to enable night rides on rovers.

You're welcome.

If the reserve batteries have the same part module as standard batteries, then BV will use them along the standard ones. If not, then they will be omitted. I'm not using AmpYear, I have enough of other mods in my games, so the best way is to try it yourself.

<Snip>

Oh no. I think there's a bug that I only discovered after landing my rover on the Mun :(

It seems the Bon Voyage Autopilot part actually assigns a bon voyage controller to the ROOT part, not the ship its attached to (or something like that). I had a mun rover (which had the little rotating radar looking bon voyage part on it) that I added to a rocket as a subassembly, but the root part of that rocket was a different probe core. And I think it gave the rocket probe the bon voyage autopilot. So once I separated the rover and landed it via monoprop, it doesn't have a bon voyage autopilot. Sad day. Not sure if this is a bug or just something that can't be fixed, but I figured I'd mention it and maybe if it can't be fixed, make a note of it somewhere on the main page as it's not expected behavior.

Thank you for reading.

EDIT: I tried saving and then loading and it fixed itself. So a smaller bug than I thought, but still maybe a small bug.

EDIT2: While I'm here, can I request a feature/setting. That when you go to "select on map" it doesn't show the biome? I'd prefer to "need" to use scansat to figure out where biomes are and make my own waypoints.

Edited by Crixomix