[KSP 1.12.3] Bon Voyage (1.4.1) - 2022-10-02

maja

1 hour ago, maja said:

I need more information

With only BV, NFE (needed to load vessel), B9PartSwitch, and ModuleManager installed, I no longer see that NRE.
The behaviour I enquired about remains:
preview

preview

preview

"Rover stopped" message appears immediately upon switching away from the craft, no progress is made.

KSP.log
Player.log

I'm still investigating that log error I posted, it does appear to be a mod interaction.

@steve_v I found, why it stopped. You have the option Use batteries enabled, but there isn't enough power to recharge them. If you look at messages, there is a message, that rover stopped and a reason why. If you switch that option off, than you rover is good to go.

Regarding that exception, that must be an interaction with some other mod. If you find it, I'll (try to) fix it.

55 minutes ago, maja said:

You have the option Use batteries enabled, but there isn't enough power to recharge them.

Not while moving, no. The tooltip (or wiki) doesn't say anything about recharging while also running the motors, and the system check said everything was fine...
If "use batteries" means to use batteries at night when there's no solar power, the craft would have to stop to wait for sunlight. I assumed it would also stop to wait for recharge, as that would be the logical behaviour.

You're right on that option being the reason for stopping though. IIRC I only turned it on because the rover stopped, the message said "insufficient power", so I said "use batteries while they last then, just move already".
But then that was all masked by the NRE stopping BV anyway. The joys of dealing with two problems at the same time.

there is a message, that rover stopped and a reason why.

There is, but that reason is simply "insufficient power", not "insufficient power to drive and recharge batteries at the same time"...
The "system check" tells me that there is sufficient power for a reduced speed even with "use batteries" on, so confusion ensues.

Regarding that exception, that must be an interaction with some other mod. If you find it, I'll (try to) fix it.

Regarding that exception, I can't reproduce it now in my main install. It's either caused by some unknown thing some other mod did at some point in that session (what fun that'll be to find), or it's a symptom of the same old memory leak that makes the game wig out in weird ways after it's been running a few hours. KSP was sitting at 24GB resident at the time.

Edited by steve_v

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

Not while moving, no. The tooltip (or wiki) doesn't say anything about recharging while also running the motors, and the system check said everything was fine...
If "use batteries" means to use batteries at night when there's no solar power, the craft would have to stop to wait for sunlight. I assumed it would also stop to wait for recharge, as that would be the logical behaviour.

You're right on that option being the reason for stopping though. IIRC I only turned it on because the rover stopped, the message said "insufficient power", so I said "use batteries while they last then, just move already".
But then that was all masked by the NRE stopping BV anyway. The joys of dealing with two problems at the same time.

There is, but that reason is simply "insufficient power", not "insufficient power to drive and recharge batteries at the same time"...
The "system check" tells me that there is sufficient power for a reduced speed even with "use batteries" on, so confusion ensues.

The problem is, that the rover has not enough power to drive AND recharge batteries, so a hidden check stopped it during move phase. I agree, that the message can be more specific. I'll do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I love the mod first off, but I'm having a couple of issues with it.

First the coordinates system is a tad too accurate. often times the rover will arrive and when I go to load the craft, the rover will be clipped into the vessel I sent it to. I've seen suggestions to remove decimal places and/or use waypoint manager to fix this so I'll try those out and report back.

Second, whether they be manned or unmanned rovers, they ]tend to be extremely flip happy the malemute rover that I recently landed on the mun, once I sent it to one of my bases there, not only clipped into the base but also flipped completely upside down  and now I can now longer use the rover. this has happened on the mun, minmus and duna so far and it's a pain in the butt. so any suggestions there would be great!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, TomfooleryYT said:

Second, whether they be manned or unmanned rovers, they ]tend to be extremely flip happy the malemute rover that I recently landed on the mun, once I sent it to one of my bases there, not only clipped into the base but also flipped completely upside down  and now I can now longer use the rover. this has happened on the mun, minmus and duna so far and it's a pain in the butt. so any suggestions there would be great!

https://github.com/jarosm/KSP-BonVoyage/wiki/Settings

Rotation vector advanced tweakable

Context menu

• Rotation of a rover or a vessel depends on the orientation of the root part. You can set the vector used for rotating the rover or the vessel.
  • This setting is accessible after enabling Advanced tweakables in the KSP settings.
  • Default value is "Back" - for rovers (and it seems, that for ships too), whose root part is a probe or a cab oriented in such a way, that you see horizont line on the navball.
  • Other usual values are "Up" and "Down", if the default setting is putting your rover on it's (usually) shorter side. You need experiment a little bit in this case to find the right setting.

First, check, if you have Disable rotation check box in the Settings checked or not. Default value is unchecked. That means, that BonVoyage will try to rotate your rover, so it will be perpendicular to the terrain after you switch to it.

Edited by maja

On 10/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, maja said:

Rotation of a rover or a vessel depends on the orientation of the root part. You can set the vector used for rotating the rover or the vessel.

About that option, is there a reason why it can't be set in the editor?

I changed it and have not noticed any ill behaviour yet. It helps me not forget to set it before sending a new rover off :) I often root a rover in a structural plate, so "up" is usual the right one.

Spoiler

diff --git a/BonVoyage/BonVoyageModule.cs b/BonVoyage/BonVoyageModule.cs
index 76632b7..0d950cd 100644
--- a/BonVoyage/BonVoyageModule.cs
+++ b/BonVoyage/BonVoyageModule.cs
@@ -45,8 +45,8 @@ namespace BonVoyage
         /// <summary>
         /// Rotation vector
         /// </summary>
-        [KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActive = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiName = "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV", advancedTweakable = true, category = "Bon Voyage")]
-        [UI_ChooseOption(scene = UI_Scene.Flight, options = new[] { "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" }, display = new[] { "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Up", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Down", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Forward",
+        [KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiActive = true, guiActiveEditor = true, guiName = "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV", advancedTweakable = true, category = "Bon Voyage")]
+        [UI_ChooseOption(scene = UI_Scene.Flight | UI_Scene.Editor, options = new[] { "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" }, display = new[] { "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Up", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Down", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Forward",
             "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Back", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Right", "#LOC_BV_ContextMenu_RV_Left" })]
         public string rotationVector = "3";

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or are anyone else's vessels explode after arriving to the destination on vessel load? 

Edit: Apperantly it has something to do with vessel rotation on arrival.

Edited by akman

14 hours ago, IncompetentSpacer said:

Did you find the solution to this? I have the same problem.

What problem exactly?

Do your rovers explode because they don't land on their wheels? Then the orientation setting is not correct.
Or do they explode because they clip into another structure at arrival? In that case, slightly change the target coordinates.
Do they get stuck in the ground? I had that happen to me on a few (very rare) occasions. The solution was to edit the save file and change the vessel altitude. It might have been caused by low-resolution terrain data that gave Bon Voyage the wrong ground altitude.

What's the vessel mass?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eberkain said:

my rovers don't explode, but do get mangled when trying to use this on 1.11

I am experiencing this without the Malemute (in 1.11)- rovers are loading with wheels in strange places and other parts not being where they are supposed to be(panels, pods) - this phenomenon appears to become worse with increased part counts and will "evolve" over successive BV "hops" until something happens and a RUD spontaneously occurs on load. For some reason this doesn't appear to be effecting structural elements. I have not experienced terrain clipping issues when this happens - the positioning and rotation are OK... just that the rover..... "mutated" and self-destructs. This occurs only during post-BV-journey craft loading.

Edited by Mystick

38 minutes ago, Mystick said:

I am experiencing this without the Malemute (in 1.11)- rovers are loading with wheels in strange places and other parts not being where they are supposed to be(panels, pods) - this phenomenon appears to become worse with increased part counts and will "evolve" over successive BV "hops" until something happens and a RUD spontaneously occurs on load. For some reason this doesn't appear to be effecting structural elements. I have not experienced terrain clipping issues when this happens - the positioning and rotation are OK... just that the rover..... "mutated" and self-destructs. This occurs only during post-BV-journey craft loading.

I saw something strange the other day that I haven't tested further yet.  

Take your rover that is mutated, EVA someone (assuming it was manned), use the cheat menu to warp to another body so the rover gets unloaded, then warp back to where you were to reload it.  I suspect it may de-mutate. 

On 12/18/2020 at 4:30 PM, akman said:

Is it just me or are anyone else's vessels explode after arriving to the destination on vessel load? 

Edit: Apperantly it has something to do with vessel rotation on arrival.

I use WorldStabilizer (I know it's not been updated recently but it still seems to work) and, in the config file, increased the maxUpMovement parameter to 20.0 m, and increased stabilizationTicks and groundingTicks to 100 and 25, respectively. That way, even though the rover isn't properly rotated, the rover gets entirely above ground and gets set down properly. I haven't had any issues with rovers loading in the ground and exploding since doing this. Saves me the hassle of saving and editing the save every time I want to load a BV rover.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, Mystick said:

This.

I wasn't sure whether it was BV or parallax (which seems to make it worse) but it's not just you. I have the same problem. Attachment nodes become twisted and/or rotated, or offset/misaligned. 

It's intermittent too, yet to pin down a precise cause.

EDIT: See below

Spoiler

CKXFPTd.png

ajbP0LI.png

7Mtn1do.png

CYnxPHz.png

JhVi5oi.png

Edited by Kielm

Hi guys.
Did anyone faced issue in 1.11 game version when engineer can not operate bon voyage module in eva construction mode (stock version, not KIS/KAS) ? Is there a workaround for this problem? 
Here's the video where I am trying to move bon voyage part between different vessels. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e90r3o6BXUJkafF2wW_wUJn0YHnaWz60/view?usp=sharing

Game version: 1.11.0.3045 with breaking ground expansion
CKAN mods list: 

Spoiler

[x] Science! Continued (xScienceContinued 5.26)
Action Groups Extended (AGExt 1:2.4.0.1)
Alternate Resource Panel (AlternateResourcePanel 1:v2.10.0.0)
Better Load Save Game Renewed (BetterLoadSaveGame 2.5.2)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.2.0)
BreakingGround-DLC (BreakingGround-DLC (unmanaged))
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.15)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.2)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.3)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.5)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations Reborn (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 2:3.7.2.3)
Contract Pack: Clever Sats (ContractConfigurator-CleverSats 1.4)
Contract Pack: Exploration Plus (ContractConfigurator-ExplorationPlus 2.0.1)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.2.2)
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy (ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy 1.1.10)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.5.2)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.2)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.0.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.3)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.3)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.4)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.4)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.2)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.5)
Science - Full reward! (NMSG 2.5)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.5)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.9.2.2)
TakeCommandContinued (TakeCommandContinued 1.4.11.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.4)
Unmanned before Manned (SETI-UbM) (UnmannedBeforeManned 1.3.0.2)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.2.6)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

Thank you in advance. 

Thank you all, that you are patient. The last year was weird with all that C-19 stuff, so I neglected this mod a little bit. I'm quarantined right now, so I have finaly some time to update the BV. You can expect something during this weekend or next week. It depends, how well I'll be.