Now Making History is out is Multiplayer next?

sysigy

So I looked over the first 5 pages of this thread and couldn't see anything related to Multiplayer so...

I for one would very much like it to coop with friends on joint missions and goals.

• Have I missed an update, has MP been mentioned of late?

• Is it time to revisit Multiplayer?

• Now Making History is done, what is next?

Edited by sysigy

I think that multiplayer for KSP is a bad idea, since lots of people wold just sabotage launches and make the game suck (unless explosions is what your looking for). Plus, the game has many mods for multiplayer that work fine (I think, I have not used any of them). As for what is next, I seriously hope they make KER part of the stock game, or at least TWR and Dv stats, and also maybe KAC

9 minutes ago, sysigy said:

• Is it time to revisit Multiplayer?

No, I'll say this once more:
Multiplayer. Will. Never. Happen.
Fin.

• Have I missed an update, has MP been mentioned of late?

Not since over 2 years. And in these two years not the smallest effort has ever been made to slowly make KSP ever so slightly fitted to multiplayer. Or in the 5 years before for that matter.

• Now Making History is done, what is next?

Who knows? Squad never had a public roadmap, and looking back at the history of KSP I don't think they ever had an internal one either. We'll know what's next when Squad announces what's next, they rarely let any information through before official announcements.

Edit: also, asking about multiplayer tends to start heated debates and people get mean. Sorry if my reply was interpreted as such.

Edited by Gaarst

21 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

We really need a kerbal emoji of Jeb beating his head against a wall. 

Not helpful :P

21 minutes ago, Dragonwarp said:

I think that multiplayer for KSP is a bad idea, since lots of people wold just sabotage launches and make the game suck (unless explosions is what your looking for). Plus, the game has many mods for multiplayer that work fine (I think, I have not used any of them). As for what is next, I seriously hope they make KER part of the stock game, or at least TWR and Dv stats, and also maybe KAC

In your opinion.

20 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

No, I'll say this once more:
Multiplayer. Will. Never. Happen.
Fin.

Not since over 2 years. And in these two years not the smallest effort has ever been made to slowly make KSP ever so slightly fitted to multiplayer. Or in the 5 years before for that matter.

Who knows? Squad never had a public roadmap, and looking back at the history of KSP I don't think they ever had an internal one either. We'll know what's next when Squad announces what's next, they rarely let any information through before official announcements.

Edit: also, asking about multiplayer tends to start heated debates and people get mean. Sorry if my reply was interpreted as such.

I am aware that asking about MP starts heated debates... this thread is not about "should it or shouldn't it" it is simply about as I said in the OP, MP hasn't been mentioned and I wanted to know the current state of play since the following quote from the devs a few years ago...

Multiplayer

• Squad is committed to add multiplayer to the finished game after the success of the user created mod KMP, or Kerbal MultiPlayer. Squad says “Multiplayer is something we had planned to do after it was all said and done, but it’s time for us to start looking at it now”. With 0.24 Squad specifically states that they working on the first steps to add multiplayer after career is finished. KMP is a multiplayer mod system for Kerbal Space Program that ended development as of 0.23.5. Its successor project, Dark Multi Player (or DMP), has continued development of this multiplayer mod up to 1.3.1.
  • The DMP dev has suggested that ports for future versions of KSP will continue up until Squad releases a version of KSP with built in functional Multiplayer of its own.

So basically, the devs have not said it will not happen.

I haven't been active on KSP for a year or so and I wanted an update, not a flame war.

Edited by sysigy

33 minutes ago, sysigy said:

Not helpful :P

With respect, neither is the thread.  We have countless other MP threads, quite a few what's next for KSP, and a couple next DLC threads already.   The same arguments/discussions occur in parallel in each thread.    Checking with those threads first before starting a new one is usually preferable.   Having multiple threads on the same topic can actually limit the discussion, as a good idea might get lost in a smaller, dying thread, while it is never mentioned in the undying mega thread. 

Edited by Gargamel

43 minutes ago, sysigy said:

So basically, the devs have not said it will not happen.

I haven't been active on KSP for a year or so and I wanted an update, not a flame war.

Where is this quote from? I don't think I remember this, if it mentions 1.3.1 it's definitely newer than 2 years.

20 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

With respect, neither is the thread.  We have countless other MP threads, quite a few what's next for KSP, and a couple next DLC threads already.   The same arguments/discussions occur in parallel in each thread.    Checking with those threads first before starting a new one is usually preferable.   Having multiple threads on the same topic can actually limit the discussion, as a good idea might get lost in a smaller, dying thread, while it is never mentioned in the undying mega thread. 

9 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Where is this quote from? I don't think I remember this, if it mentions 1.3.1 it's definitely newer than 2 years.

That is from the official KSP Wiki under the Planned Features section which is still being updated frequently.

My issue with people getting angry about others asking about MP is this...

Until Squad says MP isn't going to happen AND the official wiki still states MP is a planned feature people will continue to ask about MP so please do not abuse others for asking about a planned feature whether you like it or not or believe it will happen or not.  Squad are the only ones who can stop people asking about MP by releasing a statement to say their MP plans have been abandoned.

Edited by sysigy

I love it each time I see a thread about the multi-player version. Here's food for thought - remember in the good old days of .22 if you hit Kerbin too hard, you could get the entire planet to explode? Can't you just see some of these folks who play war games in KSP? They literally would have blown up the planet! :D

@sysigy,  All your questions and concerns have been answered in very recent MP threads.   And we're not abusing you, we're just trying to direct you in the right direction to have your questions answered. 

Edited by Gargamel

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

@sysigy,  All your questions and concerns have been answered in very recent MP threads. 

I looked over the first 5 pages of this forum topic and couldn't see any,

If you have any links I would like to have a read.

Thanks

There are more sub forums other than general discussion, most MP threads get moved to suggestions.  I know I have participated in a couple threads in the last 2-4 weeks.  Sorry, I don't have a link for you, but it should be on the first few pages. 

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

There are more sub forums other than general discussion, most MP threads get moved to suggestions.  I know I have participated in a couple threads in the last 2-4 weeks.  Sorry, I don't have a link for you, but it should be on the first few pages. 

Ok thanks, I'll go have a look around other forum topics.

7 minutes ago, MaximumThrust said:

I would like to see a multiplayer without time warp. Just to see how much people would commit to the game, and the competition to be the first one planting flags around.

I've used DMP mod in the past, Time Warping is one of the the major issues with MP.  DMP's approach (time synchronization) to it is ok but I wouldn't like this as an official solution.

The other major issue is sharing launch pads & runways.  My solutions for this would be to either:

1, Each player has a time slot to launch at, so you have to book your launch window before you can enter the launchpad.
2, Each player has their own KSC at a selected site away from the other players.

I've played DMP with 3 other players but we were all in the same room so we could communicate launchtimes etc so we didn't end up getting in each others way.
2 of us managed to co-op build a space station and refueling stations in orbit.  Was very cool to do this with another player and it made the task that much quicker.

Anyway, if there are other active MP threads out there I won't start going on about stuff here.  I'll post in those instead so will end the thread here.

thanks.

3 hours ago, sysigy said:

Until Squad says MP isn't going to happen AND the official wiki still states MP is a planned feature people will continue to ask about MP so please do not abuse others for asking about a planned feature whether you like it or not or believe it will happen or not.  Squad are the only ones who can stop people asking about MP by releasing a statement to say their MP plans have been abandoned.

Indeed.

@SQUAD:

Can you end this and just answer the damn question already?  Is multiplayer still a planned feature?

There are four huge issues regarding multiplay that I don’t see solved anytime soon:

• Grievers
  • Time acceleration (don’t say “it’s easy to solve,” it’s not. No one has shown a MP implementation with a generally accepted mitigation of the Time Acceleration challenges)
  • Squad’s tendency to write sloppy code (and parts, sadly)
  • Squads inadequate testing procedures that doesn’t seem to catch bugs that require more than two minutes of gameplay to notice

Given how critical bugs are in multiplayer (“Shrug-F9”) is not an option) the last two points suggest that this is not a feature you want to see published anytime soon.

48 minutes ago, razark said:

Indeed.

@SQUAD:

Can you end this and just answer the damn question already?  Is multiplayer still a planned feature?

As I said in another MP thread, this won't happen.

Squad has four options:

1) They can come out and say MP is dead.  This will upset many players and be regarded as a bad move.

2) They can say nothing, and do nothing.  There will be the normal rumblings, but nobody will get upset more than they are.

3) They can say nothing, and work on MP.  If the project fails, nobody would be the wiser.  If it succeeds, they will be lauded as heroes and given parades in every city.

4) They can say they are working on MP.  In the short term, everybody would be happy, but the calls for a release date would quickly turn cacophonous.   If it fails, pitchforks and torches would be in high demand.  

So, the way to keep the players happiest, is to just not say anything.   

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

So, the way to keep the players happiest, is to just not say anything.

Sadly, yes.  And Squad has a long history of following that track.

Of course, I'm still of the opinion that people need to get over the fact that sometimes plans fail or change.

(And as for 4, not everyone would be happy.  There's a decent number of anti-MP folks about.)

I think MP would be a good idea, assuming its even possible without a completely new game/engine.  Thing is, i dont see much else that hasnt already been done via mods, and if the devs try to release a mod in stock that already has a counterpart, i fail to see how they'd sell much of it.  I know im being a bit pessimistic, but looking at the quality of stock/MH compared to mods which have a far better QC team (and in most cases have community help), its really really difficult for them to compete (id love planet pack, and id love optimized visual FX like those in scatterer/eve, but its doubtful the devs could make anything similar to those mods stock work as well).

MP is the ONLY thing i can think of that doesnt have a single good mod for, yeah there was DMP, and i even messed with it a bit, but its so buggy that its basically unplayable.  The devs could step in and at least TRY to make a working MP system, but even then im seriously doubtful itd work well (and likely take 5 years to develop)...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.