JacobJHC

The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continuation for 1.4/ Making History

Posted (edited)

After several years of Space Exploration Kerbals have gained a lot of experience in building and blasting rockets, spaceships, stations, and landing on other bodies. The government started to look for other fun stuff to support so they want to cut the Kerbal Space Progam fundings. but there is still one huge thing to do: they still haven't landed on any of the Jool moons!

Jebediah called a meeting with the other Kerbonauts and engineers. In face of funding cuts, they have to reduce the number of missions. And so they have found only one solution:

To execute one giant mission, the bravest and craziest of all time, in which they will land on all the moons and come back in one!

Many of the less crazy engineers and sane common Kerbals immediately started to proclaim that this is impossible, even with the bravest and most stupid Kerbonauts and engineers. This idea gained a lot of interest and attention in the public and even in the government. Jebediah and the others realized that with this new, huge publicity the Space Program may be saved and they can continue to do what they love the best! They started to think about the details of this enormous mission...

This challenge was continued with permission from the previous thread manager @sdj64

JNr4SKL.png

LINK to the old Jool-5 thread There are over forty-five pages of entries and discussion,  so look and see what made it and what didn't

LINK to the older Jool-5 thread. There are hundreds of pages of entries and discussion, so look at it to see what worked and what didn't!

CHALLENGE RULES

Given the scale of this challenge, everyone who completes the mission successfully gets a spot in the hall of fame.

1. No cheating, including the stock debug menu cheats, HyperEdit, or file editing.  HyperEdit is allowed for testing but get rid of that H when you fly the real mission!
2. No part-clipping of functional parts (fuel tanks, batteries, crew pods, engines, science parts, SAS) into each other. It is okay to clip structural and non-functional parts, wings, and heat shields.
3. Any number of launches are allowed to assemble the ship in Kerbin orbit. All launches must be flown!
4. There's funding for one main ship only so all the crew, lander(s) and other stuff has to go to Jool as one big ship.  The ship can separate once in Jool's SOI.
5. Kerbals must be in a pod or cabin (no seats) for the interplanetary journey. Seats are okay for landing and flying within the Jool system.
6. One refueling mission is allowed in the Jool system if you run out of fuel, unless your ship uses ISRU. The refueling mission can only transfer resources, not parts, to your Jool 5 craft. This mission must actually be flown!
7. On all of the landings, the Kerbal must be able to get out and walk (or swim!) around on the surface.  Make sure your ladders work!
8. Use Normal difficulty or harder, except, any ComNet settings are allowed including turning it off completely.
9. All the Kerbals have to arrive back to Kerbin surface at the end of the mission, happy and alive. You are allowed to optionally send up a craft to return them from LKO.

10. Mods / DLC:
STOCK: only mods which do not add parts and do not change physics are allowed.  This includes any informational, planning, visual, autopilot, or automatic functions.

DLC: Any and all DLC made for Kerbal Space Program are allowed.

MODDED: Use of most parts mods and certain game mechanics mods are allowed.  You NO LONGER HAVE TO ASK if your favorite part pack is allowed!  Some parts mods are prohibited.  Please see below.
Specific Mods:

Spoiler

Examples of popular mods allowed in stock entries:
MechJeb, KER, KAC, Precise Node, Transfer Window Planner, EVE, Scatterer, Chatterer, Pilot Assistant, Docking Alignment Indicator, TAC Fuel Balancer, Throttle Controlled Avionics, X Science.

Examples of allowed game mechanics mods that would count as modded:
FAR, DRE, Remote Tech, ScanSat, Kopernicus (As long as whatever Kopernicus is adding doesn't affect your mission you're good), part welding, any life support, any new science experiments, fuel switchers

Prohibited Mods (powerful enough to make the challenge trivial, or too confusing to judge): 

Tweakscale
KSP Interstellar
Near Future Propulsion
OPT Spaceplane
B9 Aerospace
Kerbal Atomics
Atomic Age
Extraplanetary Launch Pads
OSE Workshop
Impossible Innovations
Solaris Hypernautics
Deep Space Exploration Vessels
Any Orion nuclear pulsed propulsion
Any warp drive or propellant-less space engine
Any physics alteration that makes the challenge easier (reducing gravity, moving the moons, HyperEdit, or debug menu cheats)

ENTRY SUBMISSION RULES
11. Submit your challenge as an imgur album, with good captions and descriptions, as a video or series of videos, or as a thread in Mission Reports.
12. Pictures or it didn't happen! Please keep the resources tab open, as well as show the informative windows from Mechjeb or KER if you use them. Take a picture of every important moment, including transfers, dockings, landings, stagings, and refuelings. For Jeb's Level, also take pictures of the science screen when you recover your craft. Alternatively, video submissions are a great way to show everyone your mission as well. These will help future participants to see exactly how you accomplished each part!

CHALLENGE LEVELS

1ST LEVEL: one Kerbonaut lands on all the moons and come back safely.

1st level low mass and low cost and low parts sub-challenges: with stock parts and physics, how low can you go and still accomplish the mission?

2ND LEVEL: two or more Kerbonauts land together on all the moons together and come back safely.

3RD LEVEL: There's not enough time left for training one crew member to be an expert on all of the moons, so five Kerbonauts must go to the mission, with at least one unique Kerbonaut landing on each moon.

JEBEDIAH'S LEVEL: collect as much Science as possible!  Your score is the number of science points from the Jool system only, returned to Kerbin (not transmitted).  Only stock experiments count for this!  To score, take pictures of the science screen(s) when you recover the data.  Otherwise, the rules are the same as 3rd Level.

ISRU:  Use of ISRU will get a note ISRU on the entry description in the hall of fame.  This includes stock ore harvesting and converting as well as mods such as Kethane and Karbonite.  ISRU is allowed for any level of completion.

GRAND TOUR:  Not officially part of the challenge, but landing on all planets and moons in the Kerbol system in one mission will earn a GRAND TOUR note and the everlasting praise of all of Kerbal kind.  Rule 4 is waived, but any Kerbals on the mission cannot return to Kerbin in between any landings and you still must follow the other rules.

Additional optional information to help others see how the mission was accomplished:
- Which game versions did you use?
- What mods did you use, if any?
- How many Kerbals are on the mission?
- How many launches were needed to start your mission from Kerbin?
- How much did your mission cost?
- Did you needed a refueling mission?
- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc?
- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now this big announcement is in the Kerbal News, all the public is excited about this mission and even the Government is watching! Now it's up to you, to the engineers and to the bravest and craziest Kerbonauts of all time!

Completion Badge: Anyone who has finished the challenge can add this badge to their signature.  The Low Mass Feather badge is available for entries in the low mass sub challenge.

Z5hSyCv.png          TDIcZyO.png

Spoiler

To display the badge in your signature, copy this code.

[URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123950-THE-ULTIMATE-JOOL-5-CHALLENGE-Continuation-for-KSP-1-0%21"][img=http://i.imgur.com/Z5hSyCv.png][/URL]

1.4 Hall of Fame

1st Level-

- @Laie Video here. Used a smaller-than-you'd-expect rocket with a dedicated Tylo lander and a spaceplane shell that encloses the Vall-Bop-Pol lander to make the Laythe lander. A very well done mission with a great video. 

- @Stratzenblitz75 Video here. Used a completely reusable mission involving a tiny mothership which orbited Tylo and tiny landers that explored the system. I should also point out that no nuclear engines or ions were used in the mission. Truly impressive.

- @Ultimate Steve Videos here and here. Used a single launch in career mode sending Val to many places in the system including Vall. Very impressive how quickly the mission was thrown together and carried out. 

Low Mass

Low Cost

Low Parts

2nd Level-

- @jinnantonix ISRU, Album here. Used a big launch with a self-refueling vector-powered lander that made multiple Laythe landings and mined ore from every moon. Two kerbals were landed on each moon and the lander was recovered at KSC.

3rd Level-

- @iAMtheWALRUS Grand Tour, ISRU, Album here. Used SSTOs to launch the mission and used moon hopping to get around the Kerbol system. Very nicely done. Also, first 1.4 submission :D

- @JacobJHC Grand Tour, video here. Giant single launch craft, also visited every planet and moon from the OPM planet pack. Very big. 

- @sturmhauke Album here. To put it in the words of the pilot them self; "A mostly reusable mission to all 5 of Jool's moons. Single launch SSTO carrier drone, with a separable mothership and 5 landers." Very well done and efficient mission. Used fuel cells to power ion crafts for Bop and Pol, sent a plane to Laythe, and conquered Tylo with a rocket lander.

Jeb's Level-

Edited by JacobJHC
Hall of Fame / Mod updates
  • Like 10

Thanks for taking this over - Jool 5 is the flagship challenge of KSP!

Also, the "older Jool-5 thread" link is broken, here is the correct one:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Thanks for taking this over - Jool 5 is the flagship challenge of KSP!

Also, the "older Jool-5 thread" link is broken, here is the correct one:

I didn't notice that, thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks @JacobJHC! I haven't had the chance to check out Making History yet but this will be the first mission I have in mind when I look at the new parts and mission builder. But given the bug reports I've seen it's probably best to avoid turning challenges into missions at the moment.

I like the low parts idea too!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sdj64 said:

Thanks @JacobJHC! I haven't had the chance to check out Making History yet but this will be the first mission I have in mind when I look at the new parts and mission builder. But given the bug reports I've seen it's probably best to avoid turning challenges into missions at the moment.

I like the low parts idea too!

I'm looking forward to your submission. Thanks again for giving me this opportunity to run the challenge!

Already designing a craft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

@JacobJHC, Looks like a great re-boot! One of these days I'll try this.

Thanks! When the day comes, I'll gladly overview the submission. :D 

• Like 1

Finally, it starts, hope i can finish it soon (it's over 5 redesigns on 800< parts vessel with nearly 10k tons)

• Like 1

Hi @sdj64 and @JacobJHC.  Quick question:  Should new 1.3.1 entries be submitted here?  Most of my mods are not updated to 1.4.x yet.  And I "think"  I have a vessel that doesn't break any rules this time!  (I had started a Jool 5, but then realized I had lined the inside of my mothership's hull with the B9 HL aircraft fuel tanks.  D'Oh!!!)

• Like 1

Why is Tweakscale disallowed? Tweakscale doesn't break anything or make the challenge less challenging. Just gives a few more options.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Why is Tweakscale disallowed? Tweakscale doesn't break anything or make the challenge less challenging. Just gives a few more options.

IIRC from the discussion years ago - some stock components (particularly engines) become insanely OP when Tweakscaled up.  It was easier to simply ground rule it out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

IIRC from the discussion years ago - some stock components (particularly engines) become insanely OP when Tweakscaled up.  It was easier to simply ground rule it out.

I see Tweakscaling like clipping. Fine to do it for structural parts, wings, or cosmetics, but not for engines or tanks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Hi @sdj64 and @JacobJHC.  Quick question:  Should new 1.3.1 entries be submitted here?  Most of my mods are not updated to 1.4.x yet.  And I "think"  I have a vessel that doesn't break any rules this time!  (I had started a Jool 5, but then realized I had lined the inside of my mothership's hull with the B9 HL aircraft fuel tanks.  D'Oh!!!)

The last thread has been decommissioned and I see no reason you shouldn't be able to submit here. Feel free to submit it. Good luck :D

4 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

True. It would be too easy to simply take the largest 3.75 meter fuel tank and scale it and a mammoth engine up until you have a single stage booster from Kerbin to interplanetary space.

4 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

I see Tweakscaling like clipping. Fine to do it for structural parts, wings, or cosmetics, but not for engines or tanks.

You make a decent argument, but it would/could be too difficult to determine if certain parts (such as engines and fuel tanks / reaction wheels ) were tweaked or not, so it is still ruled out. 

• Like 2

Is mild part clipping okay? I’ve clipped some of the FL-T200s half together for a nicer aesthetic on my Bop/Pol/Vall lander. It’s nonfunctional though.

Just now, KingDominoIII said:

Is mild part clipping okay? I’ve clipped some of the FL-T200s half together for a nicer aesthetic on my Bop/Pol/Vall lander. It’s nonfunctional though.

Could you post a screenshot?

My computer doesn’t do screenshots from some reason, so here’s a photo of the screen :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/O7yaA

You said the center tank is empty/nonfunctional right?

1 minute ago, JacobJHC said:

You said the center tank is empty/nonfunctional right?

No. They’re all full, but I could unclip them and it would work fine. It’s just prettier this way, so it'll look better in the eventual submission. 

No. They’re all full, but I could unclip them and it would work fine. It’s just prettier this way, so it'll look better in the eventual submission. 

After reviewing the rules I have realized that this can't be allowed due to the no fuel tank part clipping rule, I suggest unclipping them as you said you could. Your lander does look very capable though. I am looking forward to your submission. :)

5 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

After reviewing the rules I have realized that this can't be allowed due to the no fuel tank part clipping rule, I suggest unclipping them as you said you could. Your lander does look very capable though. I am looking forward to your submission. :)

Okay, thank you!

• Like 1

Was halfway building in 1.3.1 but since ive updated ill start again :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maceemiller said:

Was halfway building in 1.3.1 but since ive updated ill start again :)

You can still use what you've already built. This challenge is accepting any entries cut off by the last thread's discommoding.