The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

1 minute ago, JacobJHC said:

I just want to clarify there were two kerbals on each landing right? From the pictures I can make out two kerbals on some of the landings and just want to be sure.

Yes, every landing included two kerbals.  A scientist (to collect the science) and an engineer (to run the ISRU rig).

Congratulations @jinnantonix, you have completed the Jool 5 mission on level two! I really liked your lander, it isn't too often that we see a lander that uses a vector engine, you really packed a punch with that. Moving on, I also liked your Laythe island landing and the ore scanning probes you sent around the Jool system. It was clearly a well planned mission. 

Edited by JacobJHC

42 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Congratulations @jinnantonix, you have completed the Jool 5 mission on level two! I really liked your lander, it isn't too often that we see a lander that uses a vector engine, you really packed a punch with that. Moving on, I also liked your Laythe island landing and the ore scanning probes you sent around the Jool system. It was clearly a well planned mission. 

Thanks Jacob, I am kicking myself now because I could easily have completed the mission at level 3 /Jebediah level by adding a lander can below the Hitchhiker and adding 2 x scientists.    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oczxilzoqwqtokh/Jool-5 Mk-2.craft?dl=0

1 hour ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

Will you get extra credit for making it to all of Jool's moons without separating any stages (a.K.a an SSTO/SSTA)?

Using an SSTA would get you a ISRU tag on your submission but there isn't much in terms of extra credit. Could you post a picture of the SSTA it sounds interesting?

Edited by JacobJHC

5 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Using an SSTA would get you a ISRU tag on your submission but there isn't much in terms of extra credit. Could you post a picture of the SSTA it sounds interesting?

1: Is getting an ISRU tag bad or good (probably not very good)?

2: Sure. I just need to add a bit more oxidizer and have waaaaaaay better piloting skills.

3: So in the mission rules it says that you can assemble your ship out of many parts in orbit. Does that mean that I can send my SSTA into orbit and cling onto an asteroid inside Kerbin’s SOI and refuel? I am not sure about sending up a tanker to refuel my SSTA because I think refueling in orbit kind of bends the meaning of a single stage craft. Would you agree with me?

4: Oooohhhhhh yeeeeeaaaaaaaah. I just realized that if I could at least land on Tylo without struggling, then doing a grand tour would be e.z. as π.

Edited by Hummingbird Aerospace

Well, its been a long time since I did a Jool-5 mission, so I figured now would be as good of a time as ever to revisit it.

Here's a fully reusable, low-mass take on the challenge (without using jets, NERVAs or Ions). Of course, resource tab and KER are open throughout all important burns and maneuvers. Let me know if you'd like me to provide anything else. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Well, its been a long time since I did a Jool-5 mission, so I figured now would be as good of a time as ever to revisit it.

Here's a fully reusable, low-mass take on the challenge (without using jets, NERVAs or Ions). Of course, resource tab and KER are open throughout all important burns and maneuvers. Let me know if you'd like me to provide anything else. Thanks!

I am gonna watch this during break time. :D 

11 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

-video-

Really impressive mission and a nice video :) Pretty sad you had HyperEdit installed (or is there any other mod that uses the 'H' button?) but maybe you are lucky and your mission will be accepted anyway ;)

17 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Really impressive mission and a nice video :) Pretty sad you had HyperEdit installed (or is there any other mod that uses the 'H' button?) but maybe you are lucky and your mission will be accepted anyway ;)

He didn't actually use the functionality though. so @Stratzenblitz75's mission will most likely be accepted. @JacobJHC?

21 hours ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

1: Is getting an ISRU tag bad or good (probably not very good)?

2: Sure. I just need to add a bit more oxidizer and have waaaaaaay better piloting skills.

3: So in the mission rules it says that you can assemble your ship out of many parts in orbit. Does that mean that I can send my SSTA into orbit and cling onto an asteroid inside Kerbin’s SOI and refuel? I am not sure about sending up a tanker to refuel my SSTA because I think refueling in orbit kind of bends the meaning of a single stage craft. Would you agree with me?

4: Oooohhhhhh yeeeeeaaaaaaaah. I just realized that if I could at least land on Tylo without struggling, then doing a grand tour would be e.z. as π.

1. It depends on the person. To me, I find SSTAs difficult to make since I can't get one into orbit, so to me it's impressive but to others who do the mission without refueling they may see it differently. But ultimately it's up to you to judge.

2.  Same

3.  You can't have visited the asteroid or captured it into an orbit before hand. The SSTA has to be the first thing to reach the asteroid should you use it.

4. Moho and Eve will be tricky, since getting to Moho can be quite fuel consuming and Eve is a nightmare to even land on. If your SSTA can launch from Eve, you'll have insane bragging rights.

16 hours ago, Stratzenblitz75 said:

Congratulations @Stratzenblitz75 for completing the Jool 5 challenge on level one. I never would have thought a reusable Jool 5 would be anywhere that small, but just like your other videos, you've proved us wrong yet again. Also, if I may ask, how did you stick the landing on the VAB? Trial and error?

@JacobJHC If I design a spaceplane SSTA, Tylo will be the hardest. I won't be able to use wings OR parachutes since both of them need atmospheres.

Now introducing... The Raven SSTA! 

The RAVEN SSTA was the result of a dance-off party between Hummingbird Aerospace and C7 engineers. C7 won the dance-off, of course, so Hummingbird Aerospace was challenged to build a craft to participate in the Jool-5 challenge, a multinational spacecraft challenge that has huge rewards for getting to all 5 of Jool's moons. Of course, despite being a newcomer, Hummingbird Aerospace thought they could do even more. Due to the latest innovations from Kerbodyne, ISRUs and resource harvesters could be used to refuel on the fly. The RAVEN is a true SSTA spaceplane. It can go almost anywhere, but is a hard plane to master. Once you're in orbit, you can practically go anywhere in the Solar System. The RAVEN deviates from most other spaceplane designs using Ramjets, NERVs, and LV-T45 engines to achieve maximum efficiency, unlike those fuel-sucking RAPIER engines.

Imager album here: https://imgur.com/a/UW4dk5E

20 minutes ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

@JacobJHC If I design a spaceplane SSTA, Tylo will be the hardest. I won't be able to use wings OR parachutes since both of them need atmospheres.

Now introducing... The Raven SSTA! 

The RAVEN SSTA was the result of a dance-off party between Hummingbird Aerospace and C7 engineers. C7 won the dance-off, of course, so Hummingbird Aerospace was challenged to build a craft to participate in the Jool-5 challenge, a multinational spacecraft challenge that has huge rewards for getting to all 5 of Jool's moons. Of course, despite being a newcomer, Hummingbird Aerospace thought they could do even more. Due to the latest innovations from Kerbodyne, ISRUs and resource harvesters could be used to refuel on the fly. The RAVEN is a true SSTA spaceplane. It can go almost anywhere, but is a hard plane to master. Once you're in orbit, you can practically go anywhere in the Solar System. The RAVEN deviates from most other spaceplane designs using Ramjets, NERVs, and LV-T45 engines to achieve maximum efficiency, unlike those fuel-sucking RAPIER engines.

Imager album here: https://imgur.com/a/UW4dk5E

It looks awesome, although if I were you I would use the cheat menu and teleport it to Eve just to make sure it can land and launch back into orbit. I think it has the ability to do the Jool-5 just fine, but Eve is a very very difficult beast to tackle.

36 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

It looks awesome, although if I were you I would use the cheat menu and teleport it to Eve just to make sure it can land and launch back into orbit. I think it has the ability to do the Jool-5 just fine, but Eve is a very very difficult beast to tackle.

Thanks! I just realized that I should probably add some more solar panels, batteries, and radiators. I managed to take off first time and it handles excellently, but I am not sure if I should just use RAPIER engines instead. I should probably add a docking port for a dedicated Tylo lander, and maybe in some continuation an Eve lander. I might also ship up a science sat with it to support landings and find high ore concentrations.

Alright, here is my speedrun playlist:

The Jool-5 mission construction phase starts at 19:30 in Part 2. The launch happens at 23:35 in Part 2, and the recovery happens at 17:55 in Part 3, so watching it at normal speed (1.5x is doable and you can still hear the commentary clearly) would take less than 30 minutes (wow that's actually a long time) which means from entering the VAB to vessel recovery took me less than 2 hours in real time.

18 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

The Jool-5 mission construction phase starts at 19:30 in Part 2. The launch happens at 23:35 in Part 2, and the recovery happens at 17:55 in Part 3, so watching it at normal speed (1.5x is doable and you can still hear the commentary clearly) would take less than 30 minutes (wow that's actually a long time) which means from entering the VAB to vessel recovery took me less than 2 hours in real time.

Congratulations @Ultimate Steve for completing the Jool 5 challenge yet again! Your Laythe landing didn't invalidate the run and the mission was so simple it would be a crime for me to not compliment it's simplicity. The videos are making a great addition to your YouTube channel.