The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

On 4/4/2018 at 2:39 AM, iAMtheWALRUS said:

Here's my entry and album.   This was done as a grand tour under the Ultimate Challenge rules using a reasonably sized general purpose cargo spaceplane I designed during my initial career mode playthrough.   For the grand tour the plane needed to stage a lander in LKO (flown by itself and shown), but for Jool-5 it could have gone in one launch.

I suppose this could be either lvl 2 or 3, or both since 5 Kerbals all landed on all 5 Jool moons together.   

Mods used:

• Mechjeb
  • Stock Visual Enhancements
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements

ISRU used and all but the Tylo lander were in a reusable spaceplane.

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/kerbalspaceryan/Tiamat

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/sOuIc

Congratulations @iAMtheWALRUS, you have completed the Jool 5 Challenge (and a GRAND TOUR) on level 3. I decided that since there were 5 kerbals per landing, there was one per moon so it counts for level three, good job. I like your economical approach to the launch by using SSTOs. I am adding you to the winners board now.

1 hour ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Is having a ship designed to swing by Dres and pick up an asteroid to refine into fuel for landers and tge craft itself cheating? And what is your defenition of part clipping?

No, using a drestroid is fine. Part clipping is having parts inside each other. If you have a question about if your ship clips too much or not feel free to post a screenshot.

Just now, HeroBrian_333 said:

Does anyone know if KER has been updated for 1.4.1 yet? And if so, where can I get it?

I don't know if it has but the old versions still work

Ok, another question? I have some liquid fuel tanks clipped into an empty SRB I am using as spokes for my ring mothership. Is that ok since the SRBs are just structural? If there may be a prroblem, I will post a craft file on KerbalX when it is done for you to take a look.

Just now, HeroBrian_333 said:

Ok, another question? I have some liquid fuel tanks clipped into an empty SRB I am using as spokes for my ring mothership. Is that ok since the SRBs are just structural? If there may be a prroblem, I will post a craft file on KerbalX when it is done for you to take a look.

As long as the SRBs are empty, yes.

For my mission I'll be playing on a modified Normal difficulty science career, except having given myself the required funding and technology to enable the vessel, as well as a Deep Space Network to control probe vehicles.

My purpose in doing this: I wish there was a mode where science was used like a scoring system rather than strictly a currency to be turned on and off. I want to see how many science points I can get in one flight. The deep space network thing is a self-imposed challenge for remote control.

The following album shows the vehicles I designed to accomplish this mission, and I'm submitting them here to ask if they're legal. All being well, I'll progress with my mission hopefully this coming week.

Album /a/5Hkx4 will appear when post is submitted

Edited by starcaptain

8 hours ago, starcaptain said:

For my mission I'll be playing on a modified Normal difficulty science career, except having given myself the required funding and technology to enable the vessel, as well as a Deep Space Network to control probe vehicles.

My purpose in doing this: I wish there was a mode where science was used like a scoring system rather than strictly a currency to be turned on and off. I want to see how many science points I can get in one flight. The deep space network thing is a self-imposed challenge for remote control.

The following album shows the vehicles I designed to accomplish this mission, and I'm submitting them here to ask if they're legal. All being well, I'll progress with my mission hopefully this coming week.

Album /a/5Hkx4 will appear when post is submitted

Everything seems fine except the Vall-Bop-Pol lander, the SAS module cannot be clipped inside, the science box is fine though, that can be clipped. Your mission looks good :), although if I were you I would test the Vall lander, I believe you that it has the thrust to land, I am just not sure about the amount of electricity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 8:08 AM, JacobJHC said:

Everything seems fine except the Vall-Bop-Pol lander, the SAS module cannot be clipped inside, the science box is fine though, that can be clipped. Your mission looks good :), although if I were you I would test the Vall lander, I believe you that it has the thrust to land, I am just not sure about the amount of electricity.

You were right. I was actually misjudging the TWR and grossly underestimated the power draw.
I've made a very conservatively designed light nuclear lander and used that as my ~50ton counterweight (for the imbalance of carrying the spaceplane) instead of a spare fuel tank.

My mission is in progress and I've finished Pol. Soon i'll come to Bop :)

Edited by starcaptain

Oh wow, this challenge is exactly what i am doing in KSP right now.

Is using one main carrier ship and one ISRU Refueller ship allowed? I've landed the Fuel ship, and the main ship is going to encounter Jool in a few months.

7 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Oh wow, this challenge is exactly what i am doing in KSP right now.

Is using one main carrier ship and one ISRU Refueller ship allowed? I've landed the Fuel ship, and the main ship is going to encounter Jool in a few months.

Could you explain your mission profile?

Whelp, I have to restart. Ignoring the fact that I crashed my smaller lander and that it was inadequately tested, I have WAYYYY too few science containers. Each one can carry 30 slots, but each biome is 10. (11 including atmosphere.) I thought they could carry unlimited experiments ;_;

Let's see:

• Each biome on surface: goo, sci-jr, gravity, temp, seismic, pressure, crew report, eva report, sample (9)
  • Each biome on Laythe: same as above and atmosphere analysis (10)
  • Each biome in flight: eva report (1)
  • Each Laythe biome in flight: eva report, atmosphere analysis low, atmo" high (3)
  • Each world in space low: goo, sci-jr, gravity, temp, pressure, crew report (6)
  • Each world in space high: same as above (6)
  • So each world requires 12 + b*(9+1) slots (where b=number of biomes)
  • Except Laythe, which requires 12 + b*(10+3)
  • Number of biomes:
  • Pol: 4; needs 52 slots
  • Bop: 5; needs 62 slots
  • Tylo: 9; needs 102 slots
  • Vall: 9; needs 102 slots
  • Laythe: 10, needs 142 slots
  • Jool: no biomes: 18 slots (high space, low space, in atmosphere; 24 if you include surface and are feeling particularly mad)

Return Vehicle Requires: 478 slots!!!

Requires 16 Science Boxes

I'll take my experiences in the attempt, and make a better mission.

Not to be deterred, not only will I run it better: I intend to get that eva report from Jool's atmosphere.

Edited by starcaptain

I made 3 ships, one mothership (Sundivine), one Lander, filled with all the science experiiments (Kepler Mk.1) and one ISRU refueller (Ore Hunter). They were sent up together, and then the lander docked with the Mothership, while Ore Hunter seperated. Then I staggered the launches, so that Ore Hunter arrived at Jool before Sundivine got there. Sadly I don't have screenshots of this transfer, since I didn't know about this challenge then. 

Once Ore Hunter reached, I landed on Pol, at which point I started Mining, while Sundivine got there.

Sundivine arrived into the Jool system 288 days after Ore Hunter landed, in which time I set up an aerobrake manuver, which was mostly succesfully executed (some flipping happened towards the end of it), and the aerobrake somehow gave me an encounter with Tylo (lucky!), so I went into orbit around it, at which point Ore Hunter left Pol (was hard to get into orbit with Ore, had to dump some of it), and went to Tylo and docked. Then I transferred all the fuel and oxidizer (I left Kerbin without Oxidizer to save weight and increase DV) and Kepler landed on Tylo and came back. Barely got back, though. I docked with Sundivine, and Ore hunter left for Pol, while Sundivine left for Vall. Then they got back and ... you get the idea, right?

Note: I actually haven't taken screenshots of docking or transfers (mostly), since I didn't know about this at the time, but I have been taking group shots of my crew when I have landed.

Current status: Back from Vall landing, planning to leave for Laythe today.

Mods used:MechJeb and KER (KER is bugged weirdly).

Crew: Sundivine - Valentina Kerman, Elifel Kerman, Crisald Kerman

Ore Hunter - Sanbree Kerman

Will be taking maximum science.

15 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Will be taking maximum science.

**Rivalry**

Looking forward to how your approach goes.

Mine is configured like so: large multi-lander that also does ISRU, Laythe plane, two comm sats and a mothership wth detachable crew module.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:03 AM, starcaptain said:

Whelp, I have to restart. Ignoring the fact that I crashed my smaller lander and that it was inadequately tested, I have WAYYYY too few science containers. Each one can carry 30 slots, but each biome is 10. (11 including atmosphere.) I thought they could carry unlimited experiments ;_;

Let's see:

• Each biome on surface: goo, sci-jr, gravity, temp, seismic, pressure, crew report, eva report, sample (9)
  • Each Laythe biome in flight: eva report, atmosphere analysis low, atmo" high (3)
  • Each world in space low: goo, sci-jr, gravity, temp, pressure, crew report (6)
  • Number of biomes:
  • Jool: no biomes: 18 slots (high space, low space, in atmosphere; 24 if you include surface and are feeling particularly mad)

Not to be deterred, not only will I run it better: I intend to get that eva report from Jool's atmosphere.

Maybe its a mod that's causing the science containers to have a limit? I have just one container and its got 120 experiments already.

And wow, you're reaally gutting the jool system of science. You're gonna top it for sure

Edited by Xurkitree

40 minutes ago, Xephosas said:

Some Questions:

1. Can I leave fule tanks on the way

2. Can I leave landers and Stuff at Jool

3. Can you leave the motherschip at a planet and opperate from there?

No one said you had to do everything SSTO. While that would be an incredible accomplishment worth many fake internet points, it's not a rule. Feel free to drop stages or leave stuff behind.

My mothership hops from moon to moon, but when I'm done with the landers they are definitely going to be impacted or abandoned in orbit.

11 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

And wow, you're reaally gutting the jool system of science. You're gonna top it for sure

I've been playing this game since Version 0.13 but have had very little to show for it in the public space. I want to demonstrate to myself and others that I can do this.

41 minutes ago, starcaptain said:

No one said you had to do everything SSTO. While that would be an incredible accomplishment worth many fake internet points, it's not a rule. Feel free to drop stages or leave stuff behind.

My mothership hops from moon to moon, but when I'm done with the landers they are definitely going to be impacted or abandoned in orbit.

I've been playing this game since Version 0.13 but have had very little to show for it in the public space. I want to demonstrate to myself and others that I can do this.

I do not plan an ssto but i mean leaving empty tanks and stuff

also I am also playing this since i think the third alpha (I was abot the age of 11)

I am also trying to do this to say that i have acomplisched something

On 4/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, starcaptain said:

Let's see:

• Number of biomes:

Awesome!  Jeb's level was really lacking participants recently so I'm excited to see people going all out for science.  I think you forgot the fact that Jool has a High and Low atmosphere.  I've never seen anyone try to recover Jool low atmosphere science.  Diving probes have been done, but transmitting science doesn't count for the score.  There are a couple of other science cases, maybe read the wiki page on science for more...

The only limit on experiments I'm aware of is "no duplicate experiments in one container".  The science lab doesn't have this limitation.

9 hours ago, Xephosas said:

Some Questions:

1. Can I leave fule tanks on the way

2. Can I leave landers and Stuff at Jool

3. Can you leave the motherschip at a planet and opperate from there?

Yes, you can dump parts anywhere you want.

Many people leave the mothership in orbit of one moon, or in Jool orbit, and go from there.  You could also land your mothership on a moon if you want, but getting back to it might be a hassle.

Hmmm... This seems really fun, but the extent of my experience outside of Kerbin’s SOI was a jaunt to Duna and back. Even though I’ve never been to the Jool system, does anyone think running a Level 1 version of this mission with ISRU would be possible for someone like me. I would like to give it a go, but not sure if it’s within my abilities. 

30 minutes ago, HeliosPh0enix said:

Hmmm... This seems really fun, but the extent of my experience outside of Kerbin’s SOI was a jaunt to Duna and back. Even though I’ve never been to the Jool system, does anyone think running a Level 1 version of this mission with ISRU would be possible for someone like me. I would like to give it a go, but not sure if it’s within my abilities. 

Just try it!

I usualy equipe my Interplanetary schips with Near future reactors and engines 

What makes this alsow a chalenge for me. Also be advised that landing on Tylo is very hard because you have the same orbital speed as Kerbin but no atmospere to slow you down so you have to get rid of that speed manualy wich is not fun i spennt 5 houres yesterday to build the lander.

Hope you succed

20 minutes ago, Xephosas said:

Just try it!

I usualy equipe my Interplanetary schips with Near future reactors and engines 

What makes this alsow a chalenge for me. Also be advised that landing on Tylo is very hard because you have the same orbital speed as Kerbin but no atmospere to slow you down so you have to get rid of that speed manualy wich is not fun i spennt 5 houres yesterday to build the lander.

Hope you succed

Thanks for the advice! It’ll probably take me a few weeks to get everything done since I have limited time to play KSP and my friends get mad if I don’t play Fortnite with them, but I’ll try and keep a good mission log. I’ve also never done any forum challenges before, so I guess this is a good one to start with if your into jumping in headfirst :P. I’ll look at some of the entries in the previous iterations of the challenge for some ideas as to how to package everything. 

Hey quick question.

I know that I said I had 4 crew members in my mission, but playing career mode, I saw a contract to rescue a Kerbal stranded in Laythe orbit- which was where I was having completed my Laythe landing and liftoff. So I rescued her (Lesen Kerman - Pilot) and she came with Valentina and Elifel to land on Bop. So my question is whether it allows for 2nd lvl or 3rd level Jeb?