JacobJHC

The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continuation for 1.7

Recommended Posts

Still summoning @PTGFlyer...

@Challyss, maybe you can aim higher levels now, and make an entry with some explanation marks.

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I've had this game for six years and I still haven't done the Jool V challenge?

Maybe it's time to change that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

You know I've had this game for six years and I still haven't done the Jool V challenge?

Maybe it's time to change that...

Yes it is! 

It's daunting at first but super fun once you get into designing and redesigning all the ways it can be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's intense, but addicting, not joking, i daresay, one of the best challenges in KSP, more fun if you do bonus landings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plans 4 my Grand Tour :

JOOL "LANDING" !!!

Plod system tour.

No ISRU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 3:39 PM, GRS said:

Summoning some Indos

@Mukita12 @[INDO]dimas_1502 @BlackWing Pilot @YNM

Come here and try this out !!! IT'S SUPER FUN !!!

I've never visited jool before, it's too hard to calculate the hohman transfer orbit to the jool, the furthest planet that i had ever visited was duna. And it was in duna's low orbit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BlackWing Pilot said:

I've never visited jool before, it's too hard to calculate the hohman transfer orbit to the jool, the furthest planet that i had ever visited was duna. And it was in duna's low orbit.

Get the Transfer Window Planner mod, or use Alex Moon's online tool. I like the mod better but they both use the same algorithm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BlackWing Pilot said:

I've never visited jool before, it's too hard to calculate the hohman transfer orbit to the jool, the furthest planet that i had ever visited was duna. And it was in duna's low orbit.


In addition to Sturmhauke's suggestions - MechJeb can also calculate transfer trajectories.  It can also correct for orbital inclination, very handy for visiting Pol and Bop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dimas152 said:

can't
pc too weak

You don't need a powerful PC to go to Jool, or anywhere else. My laptop was underpowered when I got it, and that was like 5 years ago. I run KSP fine, although it starts to chug if I have over 200 parts or so, or if I'm in the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

You don't need a powerful PC to go to Jool, or anywhere else. My laptop was underpowered when I got it, and that was like 5 years ago. I run KSP fine, although it starts to chug if I have over 200 parts or so, or if I'm in the water.

part counts for spaceships, they tend to lag over 200 parts although i have 6gigs of ram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 9:34 PM, BlackWing Pilot said:

I've never visited jool before, it's too hard to calculate the hohman transfer orbit to the jool, the furthest planet that i had ever visited was duna. And it was in duna's low orbit.

You don’t need to calculate.

I’ve found that 2000 m/s is a good estimate for the delta-v, plus about 250 for plane change corrections. So long as you leave when the angular separation between Kerbin and Jool is roughly 90 degrees, with Jool ahead of Kerbin, you should be fine. Make sure to leave Kerbin prograde relative to its orbit.

Don’t be afraid to make some mid-course corrections, you’ll need them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dimas152 said:

part counts for spaceships, they tend to lag over 200 parts although i have 6gigs of ram

Try lowering your graphic quality, and try closing unused programs, also try "RMB -> Refresh" multiple times before launching KSP, mine is as strong as yours (6GB RAM), but can run a 1000< parts, 21 kilotons ship...barely.

 

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Make sure to leave Kerbin prograde relative to its orbit.

Don’t be afraid to make some mid-course corrections, you’ll need them. 

Or in short, find the most explosive maneuver, should take like 1900 m/s, mid course corrections are ultimately essential, i failed to get my Laythe lander to Laythe with a ship that should be able to do that because i missed that part, also try practicing gravity assists on Duna's Ike, you can later use Tylo or Laythe to capture around Jool. (I'm talking to @BlackWing Pilot)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never did a JOol 5 before but I'm thinking about planning such a mission.

I personally like to set a rule to do a quik lap, to get there and do it in the fastest amount of time possible. Has anyone done this before? Is it a whole new challenge altogether?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

I never did a JOol 5 before but I'm thinking about planning such a mission.

I personally like to set a rule to do a quik lap, to get there and do it in the fastest amount of time possible. Has anyone done this before? Is it a whole new challenge altogether?

To the best of my knowledge no one has done a quick lap of the Jool 5 before, although it could be its own challenge, it would still be a Jool 5 nonetheless so I would accept it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

I never did a JOol 5 before but I'm thinking about planning such a mission.

I personally like to set a rule to do a quik lap, to get there and do it in the fastest amount of time possible. Has anyone done this before? Is it a whole new challenge altogether?

Normal Jool 5 may take something like 10-11 years, a quick lap...at least faster than that, but you better do it efficiently, except if you mean "Jool 5 in one sitting" or such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GRS said:

Normal Jool 5 may take something like 10-11 years, a quick lap...at least faster than that, but you better do it efficiently, except if you mean "Jool 5 in one sitting" or such.

Not in one sitting, I specifically mean MET.

Think about a direct transfer using ION propulsion and direct encounters with the moons rather then using gravity assists.
I will also try to make it reusable. It's a bit of a cross relation but it's my desired design goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

Not in one sitting, I specifically mean MET.

Think about a direct transfer using ION propulsion and direct encounters with the moons rather then using gravity assists.
I will also try to make it reusable. It's a bit of a cross relation but it's my desired design goal.

Well...good luck, maybe you mean "that" (JacobJHC's Grand Tour in Jool transfer part), that may be challenging but as Jacob said, it's still a Jool 5, yet he'll write every important details of your entry, also try extra landings if you want :).

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry @JacobJHC but i cant fulfill my promise...YET.

But i have an idea of a Nigh Reusable (hopefully) full chemical Grand Tour, nigh reusable means it's mostly reusable, that's the "Sheep v3", last installment of my casual-ish Jool 5 craft series, the Grand Tour that envelopes a Jool "landing" will be "The Transcendent", which will come after The Millenia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 9:25 AM, GRS said:

maybe you mean "that" (JacobJHC's Grand Tour in Jool transfer part)

That took so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 6:50 PM, Bill Phil said:

You know I've had this game for six years and I still haven't done the Jool V challenge?

Maybe it's time to change that...

Ditto. I've been to Jool, I've landed on all of the moons. I've just never done it in a way that met the challenge criteria. Or documented it in any way. Maybe I'll do it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IM BACK

After many updates and broken Mods...

I'm ready for the Jool V Challenge.

Going to create a forum post to document this... Just because I have school stuff and the posts will be spread out.

*EDIT* Here it is: 

Doing a few "support" missions with probes to scout out landing sites first

 

Edited by Starslinger999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MORE JOOL FIVERS INCOMING, THIS IS GREAT !!! (and for @JacobJHC, maybe you can see my plannings of Sheep v3 in The Ultimate Challenge thread), also, had to take some break now.

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, GRS said:

Still summoning @PTGFlyer...

@Challyss, maybe you can aim higher levels now, and make an entry with some explanation marks.

I've been super busy. Yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably, hope you're still going to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.