The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

On 12/17/2019 at 9:49 PM, IncongruousGoat said:

On behalf of @ManEatingApe, @Jacke, @dvader, @Muetdhiver, @Rakaydos, and @Pds314, I would like to present what is possibly the first community Jool 5:

Once again, many thanks to everyone involved. None of us could have done it alone.

Congratulations to all of you for completing the Jool 5 mission on level 1! This is the first community Jool 5 I have ever seen, and the caveman restrictions put on the mission make it even more impressive! How you managed to complete a Jool 5 mission with Jeb on a ladder and no maneuver nodes is beyond me, I'll add this astounding mission to the leader board now!

is SpaceY allowed? Its not prohibited but it seems kinda OP for this challenge

*also, do we have to plant a flag on all of the moons? my kerbal is in a pretty precarious situation when it lands on Laythe/Tylo, but I can make it work. 

It's about time for me to get a badge. TO JOOL!  :maneuver:

Edited by Vinhero100

OK, I did it!

Version:1.8.1

Mods:Mechjeb, trajectories, better time warp continued, KAC(Not used), ToolBar control, click through blocker, MM, contract configurator and custom barn kit(not used and removed midrun because they're causing problems), HyperEdit(only used for testing, removed for the real run) 

(photos will come later)

Edited by Space Nerd
Oops

@JacobJHC Here's the link.

https://imgur.com/a/0I1tEdQ

A side note: I use the debug to launch a unrelated craft, because my install have some bugs that seems to be gone after launching a new ship and loading a new save.

My craft is single launched, can't open KSP to see it's cost now, but I rembered that it's over one million.

Edited by Space Nerd

On 2/2/2020 at 7:28 PM, Vinhero100 said:

is SpaceY allowed? Its not prohibited but it seems kinda OP for this challenge

*also, do we have to plant a flag on all of the moons? my kerbal is in a pretty precarious situation when it lands on Laythe/Tylo, but I can make it work. 

It's about time for me to get a badge. TO JOOL!  :maneuver:

I agree that SpaceY might be OP for this challenge, so I will add it to the unallowed-mods list. As for flags, each moon requires a flag.

Best of luck if you attempt the challenge. TO JOOL!

On 2/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, Space Nerd said:

@JacobJHC Here's the link.

https://imgur.com/a/0I1tEdQ

A side note: I use the debug to launch a unrelated craft, because my install have some bugs that seems to be gone after launching a new ship and loading a new save.

My craft is single launched, can't open KSP to see it's cost now, but I rembered that it's over one million.

Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level 1! I'll add you to the board now. (Also I really liked your mother ship flying around with the offcenter Bop/Pol lander!)

I added the off center docking port because my laythe and tylo landers are not stackable, also I decided to use the second stage of the laythe lander for bop and pol is that's lighter and I'm afraid about the amount of dv left.

Just to clarify, all landers have to seat at least two kerbals for a level 2 entry?

Just now, Space Nerd said:

I added the off center docking port because my laythe and tylo landers are not stackable, also I decided to use the second stage of the laythe lander for bop and pol is that's lighter and I'm afraid about the amount of dv left.

Just to clarify, all landers have to seat at least two kerbals for a level 2 entry?

Yes. For a level two entry at least two Kerbals must land on each moon together.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

I am definitely attempting this challenge. One question: am I allowed to use the USI mods? (Yes, all of them) 

Best of luck! You can use the USI mods, just remember you can't use any OP engines or science experiments they add.

Hi @JacobJHC, please find below my low cost Jool-5 mission entry, at 34,663 kerbucks.  V1.7.3 KSP with Breaking Ground, with KER, Trajectories, PreciseNode and MinAmbientLight, and no part mods.    

I had a lot of fun doing a low dV K-E-K-K-J flyby transit, and also a double Eve flyby on the return to Kerbin.  The mission architecture was built around a fuel tanker station-keeping in a highly elliptical orbit around Laythe, with a lightweight re-usable “bike” to act as a tug and transport Val around the Jool system, using aerobraking at Laythe to keep the dV to a minimum, and refuelling the "bike" at the tanker for each new moon mission.  The craft uses no reaction wheels, although I needed a basic RCS system in the tanker to assist with docking, and fine tuning during the flyby adjustments.

https://youtu.be/bbY5DUQa2bM

Edited by jinnantonix

@jinnantonix I've watched the first half of your video and it's great but I'm about to fall asleep so I'll finish reviewing it tomorrow. (Also, I never thought I would see an aerocapture without a heat shield for capturing in Jool's SOI again! Wow!)

Just now, JacobJHC said:

@jinnantonix I've watched the first half of your video and it's great but I'm about to fall asleep so I'll finish reviewing it tomorrow. (Also, I never thought I would see an aerocapture without a heat shield for capturing in Jool's SOI again! Wow!)

The aerocapture was actually at Laythe.  The Poodle got quite hot, but the ADTP-2-3 tanks are really robust and protected the rest of the craft.  Stabilisation using the hard points on the Laythe lander legs was crucial.

Alright @JacobJHC, I believe I have accomplished this challenge (before I knew it existed). 

- Which game versions did you use? 1.8

- How many Kerbals are on the mission? Just Jeb

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Nope, and I did not mine either. 

- How many launches were needed to start your mission from Kerbin? Just one big launch. 

- How much did your mission cost? IDK

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Nope, bare bones. I did give all of the detachable parts antennas and power so they would function as relays after I discard them. 

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! DeltaV is always shown in my KER readout top left. 

- What mods did you use, if any? KER, Mechjeb, Trajectories, ReStock, Better Order of Parts... maybe something else... Nothing that changes physics or adds parts. Yes, I have HyperEdit installed, I used it to test ships but not to fly the mission. 

Enjoy!

Edited by ralanboyle
Edit

On 2/18/2020 at 12:33 AM, jinnantonix said:

Hi @JacobJHC, please find below my low cost Jool-5 mission entry, at 34,663 kerbucks.  V1.7.3 KSP with Breaking Ground, with KER, Trajectories, PreciseNode and MinAmbientLight, and no part mods.    

I had a lot of fun doing a low dV K-E-K-K-J flyby transit, and also a double Eve flyby on the return to Kerbin.  The mission architecture was built around a fuel tanker station-keeping in a highly elliptical orbit around Laythe, with a lightweight re-usable “bike” to act as a tug and transport Val around the Jool system, using aerobraking at Laythe to keep the dV to a minimum, and refuelling the "bike" at the tanker for each new moon mission.  The craft uses no reaction wheels, although I needed a basic RCS system in the tanker to assist with docking, and fine tuning during the flyby adjustments.

https://youtu.be/bbY5DUQa2bM

Congratulations @jinnantonix on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level one with a low cost submission! I am especially impressed on how easy you make a Jool 5 mission look, and how much use you got out of that Laythe tanker. Adding you to the leaderboard now! 

On a side note: IRL events might temporarily slow my ability to review submissions, but don't worry, I'll get to them.

37 minutes ago, SiriusRocketry said:

My attempt is underway. Just need to unclip some fuel reserves from the Tylo lander's top stage.
The nosecones on my Laythe lander's after-burner boosters clip slightly into the 1.25m-2.5m adapter above it, would that be OK? It's not a fueled part or an engine.

Yeah that's fine. Good luck on your submission

Just now, JacobJHC said:

Yeah that's fine. Good luck on your submission

I'm going to do the Ultra Noob mission: have only been to Jool with probes and have never landed on any moon.
Is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement allowed? My launch vehicle is quite large (309 parts, 992t, 86m high all up) and might need KJR to make sure it is Kraken-ifed... I'll probably upload the mission as a series of short video clips.

Launch Vehicle and exploded Mothership view:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/672132906382262300/681619267405348962/front_Jool-5_1.png

Just now, SiriusRocketry said:

I'm going to do the Ultra Noob mission: have only been to Jool with probes and have never landed on any moon.
Is Kerbal Joint Reinforcement allowed? My launch vehicle is quite large (309 parts, 992t, 86m high all up) and might need KJR to make sure it is Kraken-ifed... I'll probably upload the mission as a series of short video clips.

Launch Vehicle and exploded Mothership view:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/672132906382262300/681619267405348962/front_Jool-5_1.png

KJR is allowed.

So, I've run into a problem of sorts. I can't seem to make a Laythe lander that a) fits in the mothership design profile or b) has the dV.

Design A had the capability to fit, but was way too weak to reach orbit. Design B, while packing the dV and TWR, weighed almost 45 tons and was in danger of putting the already low mothership TWR at under 0.25, while being unwieldy during mothership burns. Design C fixed both but has a hit and miss record with sticking the landing and has a very low TWR. I think part of this is because I refuse to go the atmospheric-engine/plane route due to inexperience? Can anybody share some tips?

1 hour ago, SiriusRocketry said:

So, I've run into a problem of sorts. I can't seem to make a Laythe lander that a) fits in the mothership design profile or b) has the dV.

Design A had the capability to fit, but was way too weak to reach orbit. Design B, while packing the dV and TWR, weighed almost 45 tons and was in danger of putting the already low mothership TWR at under 0.25, while being unwieldy during mothership burns. Design C fixed both but has a hit and miss record with sticking the landing and has a very low TWR. I think part of this is because I refuse to go the atmospheric-engine/plane route due to inexperience? Can anybody share some tips?

z87RXPd.png

This makes orbit from sea level with about 775dV remaining.

ieDZotr.png

But this is much more fun!

A kerbal in a chair inside a small service bay will help with mass and heating.  Strap on a basic tank/engine and a chute and you might be surprised how easy it is to get into orbit from Laythe.  In particular the smaller engines (Ant, etc) on a small tank gives you a TON of dV once you gain a little altitude.  Try a Spark for the first 20k or so, then stage and an Ant can get you the rest of the way.  Of course, if you are trying for science you will have to go a bit bigger.  A single Rapier with the 2 small LF-filled wings, plus an LFO tank can SSTO Laythe.

Remember, you can use a chute to land, so you only need dV for the ascent!  Smaller is better.

Edited by Jetski

The test launch of the vehicle, with newly engineered and fully capable Laythe Lander. Just need to work on landing on land and compensating for the slowdown effect of Laythe's atmosphere. Very difficult.

Screenshot_342.png

A lovely Korolev cross from those massive side boosters.
Screenshot_343.png

Sub-orbital- the sustainer stage has a low TWR of 0.73 but loads of dV so I can forgive the steep ascent.
Screenshot_344.png

Fairing panels released, stack visible
Screenshot_345.png

Stack in full view just before orbital circularization burn (for some reason the antenna has vanished, will hopefully fix that for the real launch)
Screenshot_346.png

And here's testing of the re-entry pod, simulated return to a 38km periapsis from 4.5 km/s. Unfortunately the upperstage destroyed the docking port and parachutes so it did not survive landing, but still a success nonetheless.
Screenshot_347.png

On 2/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, ralanboyle said:

Alright @JacobJHC, I believe I have accomplished this challenge (before I knew it existed). 

- Which game versions did you use? 1.8

- How many Kerbals are on the mission? Just Jeb

- Did you needed a refueling mission? Nope, and I did not mine either. 

- How many launches were needed to start your mission from Kerbin? Just one big launch. 

- How much did your mission cost? IDK

- Did you bring additional stuff like satellites, rovers, etc? Nope, bare bones. I did give all of the detachable parts antennas and power so they would function as relays after I discard them. 

- Share the delta-V information too, if you tracked it! DeltaV is always shown in my KER readout top left. 

- What mods did you use, if any? KER, Mechjeb, Trajectories, ReStock, Better Order of Parts... maybe something else... Nothing that changes physics or adds parts. Yes, I have HyperEdit installed, I used it to test ships but not to fly the mission. 

Enjoy!

Congrats on completing the Jool 5 mission on level 1. You did forget to put a flag on Pol, but it seems it was just a mistake so I'll let it slide. I liked your video and music choice, I also thought choice of engines and the general design of your mission was interesting, especially the off center rocket you left in Jool orbit. Adding your submission the leaderboard now.