The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

59 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

@PhoenixRise86 @Norcalplanner You know what? Go ahead. I'm curious how that works out :D I'll make its category when the first mission for it is done.

I'm playing mostly JNSQ myself. Heavily modded it could prove testification to something more difficult but doable since stock parts in 2.7x work fine.

Edited by Aeroboi

On 6/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, Coolinee Kerman said:

Would a Jupiter 4 mission in RSSRO be remotely close enough to this challenge to count? Likely not but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Unfortunately not, but if you do such a mission please send me a link to its album if you make one. I think there is an old challenge thread for a Jupiter 4. I suppose you could revive it.

I've thought myself of a general (Planet) (Number) thread, for everything that's like a Jool 5 but in a modded system. But since I've yet to do any such mission myself, I'm not really the one to start it.

As far as KSP goes, the Galilean moons are all going to be pretty much the same - vacuum worlds with similar gravity and delta-V needs. (In real life not so much, thanks to varying radiation levels and Io's volcanism). I'd never call a Jupiter 4 *easy*, but it doesn't pose the varied challenge of the Jool 5.

Wow...now this Challenge has a lot of Fans, guess I'll finish my Jebu No Reveru (Jeb's Jevel, Can't Resist my Weebness) quickly, currently sitting in Vall's North Pole after Landing on Tylo and Laythe Respectively (With a Total of 139 Fresh Science Experiments (Experiments that are Newly conducted) in an Experiment Container).

Edited by GRS

@JacobJHC

Jeb's Level (or not)

Full Album here.

Science : 28643 in Normal Mode (around 168 Non Joolar Science, Max gained around 28831 Points with those)

Mass : Over 8000 Tons

Part Count : 560-ish

CRAFT : -Coming Soon-

Rules :

-Jool 5 Rules

-Kerpollo Rules from @5thHorseman, And Difficulty of Hard+ (Quicksaves and Reverts allowed, Science gain of Exactly 50 %)

Edited by GRS

2 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

@GRS I will give this a proper look in a few days, but at the moment I do not have the time to give it the review it deserves.

Thnx Mate.

41 minutes ago, AstralWither said:

I know karbonite+ isnt on the prohibited mods list, but is it allowed? seems a bit too easy (note that karbonite+ adds karborundum, not karbonite)

The basic rule is that your submission must have stockalike performance. No FTL, kraken drives, or insane isp.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:41 AM, GRS said:

@JacobJHC

Jeb's Level (or not)

Full Album here.

Science : 28643 in Normal Mode (around 168 Non Joolar Science, Max gained around 28831 Points with those)

Mass : Over 8000 Tons

Part Count : 560-ish

CRAFT : -Coming Soon-

Rules :

-Jool 5 Rules

-Kerpollo Rules from @5thHorseman, And Difficulty of Hard+ (Quicksaves and Reverts allowed, Science gain of Exactly 50 %)

Congratulations @GRS on a Jeb's Level Jool 5 submission! The Scifi visuals made it a unique mission, and your launcher is one of the more interestingly colored I've seen. Adding you to the leaderboard now :D

4 hours ago, AstralWither said:

wait for 3+ level grand tour is it supposed to be 1 unique kerbal on each body or can 14+ kerbals land on all the bodies at the same time, one kerbal for each body?

The unique kerbal for each body only applies to the Jool moons. But if you want to put 14 on each one then by all means do it, that would count.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross post from https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/185825-the-direct-ascent-challenge/

Mission report: https://imgur.com/a/HL4XkiW

My first official Jool5 submission, undertaken as a direct ascent, "in series" mission with no ISRU, whereby each landing had to be made using the ascent stage of the previous one. Turned out to be rather a fun twist on the mission profile.

Done! Jool5, and I even managed to get a cheeky Minmus landing on route home! This has been one of the most fun challenges I have attempted. Thanks OP!

Edited by dnbattley

19 hours ago, dnbattley said:

Cross post from https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/185825-the-direct-ascent-challenge/

Mission report: https://imgur.com/a/HL4XkiW

My first official Jool5 submission, undertaken as a direct ascent, "in series" mission with no ISRU, whereby each landing had to be made using the ascent stage of the previous one. Turned out to be rather a fun twist on the mission profile.

Congratulations @dnbattley on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level 1! It's been a while since a direct ascent submission has come by, and I must say that the suspense was real on this one. Also, that Duna handbrake turn may be one of the best things I've ever seen in this game. Adding you to the leaderboards now. (Also a nerva powered Tylo landing? Great job!)

4 hours ago, Dale Christopher said:

Hi guys. Just wondering what kind of total mass qualifies for the featherweight badge?

As low as you can get it, but obviously if it's giant it won't be counted in the featherweight badge. In the original original thread the highest mass low weight submission was over 700 tons, and in the second thread the heighest was 53 tons. I'd say under 100 tons will qualify as low mass if the submission is meant for featherweight.

33 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

As low as you can get it, but obviously if it's giant it won't be counted in the featherweight badge. In the original original thread the highest mass low weight submission was over 700 tons, and in the second thread the heighest was 53 tons. I'd say under 100 tons will qualify as low mass if the submission is meant for featherweight.

100 tons dry or with fuel? O.O

On 7/13/2019 at 2:41 AM, JacobJHC said:

Congratulations @dnbattley on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level 1! It's been a while since a direct ascent submission has come by, and I must say that the suspense was real on this one. Also, that Duna handbrake turn may be one of the best things I've ever seen in this game. Adding you to the leaderboards now. (Also a nerva powered Tylo landing? Great job!)

Thank you @JacobJHC for your very generous review of the comedy of errors that this mission turned out to be! I'm particularly glad you liked my "Duna handbrake turn" manoeuvre: I can't imagine I would have been the first to use it, but am very happy to have brought it's effectiveness to wider awareness. It definitely needs the trajectories mod to use with any accuracy!

22 hours ago, GRS said:

@dnbattley : *Does Jool 5 in Direct Ascent with Chair*

Me : *Stares Mother-duck-erly*

Also Me : Now I'm fired up !!! "Millenia" will return !!!

@GRS I'm glad to have inspired you!

Yes @dnbattley

I was planning such thing like a Year ago, but my Pentium can't get a good light design with Capsule, so i lost reasons to do it, but you reawakened it, Though i still have one thing to do.

I'm curious, is the part clipping rule still in effect for fueltanks and such if they're being used to enhance the asthetic characteristics of the craft? Seems to be a common thing in most modern kerbal craft designs and I'm curious to know if the rule has evolved over the years. 

17 hours ago, Matrix Aran said:

I'm curious, is the part clipping rule still in effect for fueltanks and such if they're being used to enhance the asthetic characteristics of the craft? Seems to be a common thing in most modern kerbal craft designs and I'm curious to know if the rule has evolved over the years. 

If you post a picture I can determine if it violated the no-clip rules or not.