JacobJHC

The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continuation for 1.8

Recommended Posts

rzvOKgr.png

The Sheep v3 will return...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which ? The Sheep v3 has around 3200 Tons of Mass and worths around 2.4 Million Roots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GRS said:

Which ? The Sheep v3 has around 3200 Tons of Mass and worths around 2.4 Million Roots.

Yeah that's a chonky boi. I did a single launch station that was about that much mass on the pad, but it didn't have to go places and do stuff.

Also I like "roots" as the unit of Kerbal currency, haven't seen that one before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait till you see the Sheepollo...it worths 8000 Tons.

(Jeb Level)

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Eve Lander takes most of the Space available, though it's "just" 44 Tons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EveMaster said:

I performed a fully recoverd grand tour mission using ISRU.

The mission follows the spirit of this challenge but technically I did not fulfill rule 9 because Bill did not return home on the initial craft but stayed on the surface of Eve. But since there was a free empty seat on the upper stage I could have easily transfered Bill to this stage and bring him home and instead ditch the lower stage on Eve instead. It would not have made a difference from a gameplay perspective.

If you include the secondary mission I then brought back all Kerbins but I violated Rule 4 for a single launch.  Jeb returned home in between but only after all the landings of the grand tours have been completed.

I could have launched evering in a single launch and the additional stages would have made transfers even easier, but at the time of the launch I had not yet planned the orbital catching maneuver.

Does my entry still count?

 

 

As much as I would like to count this mission, there simply aren't enough screenshots of it in the album. The only included images are of the craft on the surface, none of crucial maneuvers, landing burns (especially for Tylo) , or the launch. If you have more screenshots, I'll gladly look at them, but as it stands right now there aren't enough screenshots to count the submission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission is complete ! : D

 

Here is part 3 :

 

s3BNMDp.jpg

BvBZPT3.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

As much as I would like to count this mission, there simply aren't enough screenshots of it in the album. The only included images are of the craft on the surface, none of crucial maneuvers, landing burns (especially for Tylo) , or the launch. If you have more screenshots, I'll gladly look at them, but as it stands right now there aren't enough screenshots to count the submission.

I have uploaded additional screenshots of my grand tour mission in this album: https://imgur.com/gallery/vpXbkb1

I appreciate that you are interested in screenshots of the maneuvers and that you check the submissions thoroughly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 4:57 PM, EveMaster said:

I have uploaded additional screenshots of my grand tour mission in this album: https://imgur.com/gallery/vpXbkb1

I appreciate that you are interested in screenshots of the maneuvers and that you check the submissions thoroughly.

Congrats @EveMaster on a level one submission! I counted you as a level one because Jeb was the only Kerbal from the Jool System who returned. Also, managing to build an ISRU craft that can do Tylo? Major props to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @JacobJHC I'm fine with level one. I did it mainly for fun and even before reading about this challenge.

In my mind a single stage tylo lander is more difficult. With ISRU you have some more dry mass, but you cut the delta v requirements for the lander in half if you refuel in orbit and on the surface. The lander already had enough TWR for Tylo from the requirements for Eve. The circularisation burn on Eve must happen fast, so that I have enough time to switch back to the lifter and land it. I only had to add the landing legs and adjust the tail fins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darn...these entries...only make me feel like i should hurry up the Sheep v3.

Just a reminder to look at the Sheep v3 Mission report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheep v3's Jool 5 part is all done, now i need to go to some extra destinations and make a documentary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JacobJHC

5 Kerbals Non-ISRU Grand Tour, still yet to return as i need to go to some extra destinations, so i can go to the Gatecrasher (?)

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2019 at 11:44 AM, GRS said:

@JacobJHC

Sorry...but i feel like you haven't reviewed @Kerbolitto's Second entry...(?)

@Kerbolitto forgive me if I have missed your second entry, but upon scrolling up and checking the last page I can only find your STS Jool 5 submission, which I have already reviewed. If this was one of two separate entries my apologies, and if so could you post the link to the one I missed below since I can't find it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

@Kerbolitto forgive me if I have missed your second entry, but upon scrolling up and checking the last page I can only find your STS Jool 5 submission, which I have already reviewed. If this was one of two separate entries my apologies, and if so could you post the link to the one I missed below since I can't find it?

Hey ! No worries :)

It's another STS mission, but this time I landed on all 5 with only one shuttle !

Here are the links :

 

First part :

Second :

And finale !

 

There's a ton of pictures, apologies for slow internet connection (like mine :x)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kerbolitto that was a fun mission to scroll through, I just have two quick question. How many kerbals came (I counted 7 but want to be sure) and did Bob stay behind on Laythe or come back with the crew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

@Kerbolitto that was a fun mission to scroll through, I just have two quick question. How many kerbals came (I counted 7 but want to be sure) and did Bob stay behind on Laythe or come back with the crew?

Thank you ! :)

The original four in the shuttle and one of each spec in the outpost, and yes Bob stayed behind to enjoy the view ! : D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

Thank you ! :)

The original four in the shuttle and one of each spec in the outpost, and yes Bob stayed behind to enjoy the view ! : D

In that case, congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 3! I'm impressed the most by the margins the Tylo landing took place in. Adding you now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

In that case, congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 3! I'm impressed the most by the margins the Tylo landing took place in. Adding you now!

Thanks Jacob !

The landing on Tylo was very tight and I had to reload quite a lot, had only 1 or 2 seconds of margin .. :D But at the same time I came down from Bop with an average intersection, and I still had the possibility to undock the outpost and the plane in orbit somewhere (it weights 7 tons if I remember).

All in all it was a very fun mission to fly.

I planned to do it on Wolfhounds with rocket fuel only, but everything would have to be a lot bigger.. This shuttle only modifications are a double Vectors set and a short Mk3 LF fuselage :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

The landing on Tylo was very tight.

How tight btw ? In a way it only spared less than 10 m/s ? All i can tell is that it must be super tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, GRS said:

How tight btw ? In a way it only spared less than 10 m/s ? All i can tell is that it must be super tight.

Tight as no fuel left and 5-10 m/s vertical, bounced on the ailerons and broke them :D (Mk3 cargo ramp absorbed the rest).

I've landed with something like 2350m/s & 1.75TWR from something like 30-35km high (screenshots in the report are a bit confusing because I used Nervas to lower Ap before retroburning, so dV reading is a little off).

 

abWnjJB.jpg

tgOzMF3.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So thin...my Grand Tour Tylo Lander won't be able to nail it that way, i went from like 12 Km with a Lander, and it barely reached Orbit with only 15 m/s to spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GRS said:

So thin...my Grand Tour Tylo Lander won't be able to nail it that way, i went from like 12 Km with a Lander, and it barely reached Orbit with only 15 m/s to spare.

Depends on where you're coming from ? I've reached Tylo from Bop which took around 200m/s to take off / circularize, 62m/s to get an encounter, and maybe 750 to lower orbit on Tylo. Also the shuttle was not well balanced when empty on 4 Vectors, they gimballed too quickly and that induced some lateral speed on the last seconds before touchdown. Probably 2450-2500m/s in a symetric craft would be enough !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.