The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

Just now, PhoenixRise86 said:

If it completed the mission and you learned from it that's what matters!

A good player/engineer should always be able to see ways to improve next time.

K, thanks, the errors i meant were an unreusable Tylo lander, bad asparagus and lacking battery in The Mother-Sheep, at least i brought RTGs, i've dealt with the aerobrake issue long ago.

Congratulations @PhoenixRise86 on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level two! I really liked your main ship, with its drop tanks and asymmetrical landers (plane on one side, Vall lander on the other). I also found your use of ion engines quite satisfying, especially when you stopped by Ike and Minmus on the way back. As you titled the Imgur album, it was quite the high tech mission!

@Challyss Do you have any more pictures of your mission? They're all out of order and kinda confusing to follow. Also would you mind posting a craft file?

@GRS Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level one! The sheep was a fitting name for the vessel, too bad you couldn't fit a flag onto Tylo though. Either way, amazing mission!

Edited by JacobJHC

1 minute ago, GRS said:

Umm, i used Val to land on Pol...

And brought 3 Kerbals...

Yes, but only one Kerbal landed on Tylo. Also, I forgot to add, your Dres network is impressive, you must very proud.

LOL, kinda glad you wrote "mothersheep", i'll be doing more in the future, the "Sheep" came from Super Retarded Magician's common words in The Cliff, my next Jool 5 craft will use the same name source, and i still landed on Pol with bare EVA LOL. That network was from my first Dres Awareness launch, with main sat in polar orbit, and you forgot a hyperlink.

Feats :

-One lander for two biggies, that has no shock absorber.

-Bare EVA on Pol.

Edited by GRS

This is such a great challenge, thanks for @Ziv for making this challenge, thanks for @sdj64 and @JacobJHC for maintaining this challenge, i'll be upgrading The Sheep so i can have a Tythe (the lander) that can hold 2 Kerbals, and making a level 3 entry afterwards, before finally...The Millenia, good luck future Jool fivers, may the Dres be with you.

If you want to get The Sheep, here. (Forgot it has 500+ parts and 4500 tons)

Edited by GRS

15 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Do you have any more pictures of your mission? They're all out of order and kinda confusing to follow. Also would you mind posting a craft file?

Oh **insert curse words here**, I didn't see the pictures were mixed. I'll reorder them in a minute.

As for the craft file, how should I post it ?

EDIT : By the way, it's a single launch, no IRSU. Actually, nothing fancy. No ion or nueclear engine. All good old LqF Ox!

Edited by Challyss

35 minutes ago, Challyss said:

Oh **insert curse words here**, I didn't see the pictures were mixed. I'll reorder them in a minute.

As for the craft file, how should I post it ?

EDIT : By the way, it's a single launch, no IRSU. Actually, nothing fancy. No ion or nueclear engine. All good old LqF Ox!

You call that "nothing fancy" ???...THAT'S *CENSORED* FANCY.

not even i can do it (i picked 3 Kerbals and a seemingly oversized Mother-Sheep).

To post the CRAFT file...you can see my reply above your reply. (use KerbalX)

Edited by GRS

I

7 hours ago, Challyss said:

All good old LqF Ox!

Good show! My first 2 were also all pure LF/OX rockets and it's entirely doable with a little planning.

6 hours ago, GRS said:

use KerbalX

KerbalX - I need to go upload mine there, I'll post when i get that done.

My mission brought 5 kerbs and landed a differemt combination of 2 on each moon, so either level 2 or 3 is fine, and now I have one in each level. I'd like to enter the low-mass level 1. Do you know the lowest mass anyone's done in the current session? It loons like Stratzenblitz 48ton reusable is the mass to beat?

Edited by PhoenixRise86
Spelling errors.

@Challyss Your main ship (the one with the Rhino engine) has about 3.4 kilometers a second of delta-v. Could you explain your flightpath? There are a lot of things missing, I don't know how the Vall landing happened and I'm not sure how the Pol or Bop landings happened.

From what i see, It's Tylo-Vall-Laythe-Bop-Pol in order.

The Vall landing is done by leaving the Mothership barely captured, Vall Landing + Ascent takes like 1800 m/s or a little more.

The Laythe lander was dumped, Tylo lander was repurposed for Vall and Bop-Pol.

For Bop and Pol, Mothership went to Bop orbit, then releases a Lander also that lands on Pol without taking The Mothership, Lander Rendezvous with Mothership later on Bop, which later leaves Bop and Joolar system, at least that's what i see. (I'm talking about @Challyss's entry)

Oh, and maybe check up my challenge (in my signature).

Spoiler

For next Jool 5, i'll bring a 2 Kerbal Tythe, Vall landing still not decided, Bop with Sheep landing and Pol will be in a nearly simultaneous EVA Landing.

Edited by GRS

11 hours ago, GRS said:

From what i see, It's Tylo-Vall-Laythe-Bop-Pol in order.

The Vall landing is done by leaving the Mothership barely captured, Vall Landing + Ascent takes like 1800 m/s or a little more.

The Laythe lander was dumped, Tylo lander was repurposed for Vall and Bop-Pol.

For Bop and Pol, Mothership went to Bop orbit, then releases a Lander also that lands on Pol without taking The Mothership, Lander Rendezvous with Mothership later on Bop, which later leaves Bop and Joolar system, at least that's what i see.

Keen eyes.

Yes, that's it.

I used the stage with the 4 vectors to get most of my Kerbin to Jool injection, then the Rhino for other mothership maneuvers. Jool capture relied mostly on gravity assists with the moons.

I have two landers. The Laythe one, single moon craft, and the Jool IV lander. It has a big asparagus first stage for Tylo landing. The upper stage serves for the ascent, and the whole trips on Vall, Bop and Pol, with one resupply for Vall, and one for Bop and Pol.

The return from Jool uses the remaining fuel of the mothership, then the return capsule.

Edited by Challyss

Congratulations @Challyss on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 1! I liked your brute force approach for leaving Kerbin, and I also liked how efficient you were able to use the Rhino engine on your mothership. Overall an excellent mission. Adding you to the leaderboards now.

20 minutes ago, Challyss said:

Thanks ! 

I'll maybe go for higher levels later, but meanwhile, this badge in my signature is so shiny !

It is, i was having a hard time to not boast on the KSP community, and stared at my Jool 5 + Dres mission like 5 times or more, maybe you can try other challenges to make your signature "Shinier". :wink:

21 minutes ago, Pipcard said:

Yes. But I still need to finish my Dres mission first.

Oh ok, good luck, tell me what it really is, if it sounds good you can submit that to "Dres Awareness" challenge.