The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

41 minutes ago, PTGFlyer said:

I'm on a Career kick right now. I'll probably do it at some point.

Is the Cheat menu accepted for testing craft?

Hyperedit and Debug Cheat menu is fine for tests, at least that's what i saw on the rules.

2 minutes ago, PTGFlyer said:

But to find ore, you'll need to actually scan for it in the real thing?

No need, scanning is just for finding their density, you'll take "eons" of drilling in bad ore density areas.

I never submitted by Joolollo mission from my Kerpollo run to the Jool 5. Oops :) Let met correct that now.

4 videos, about 15-20 minutes all told. From what I can tell this would count as a DLC run in 1.6.1. I "only" used the Wolfhound and amusingly could have just not used it as the ship ended up throwing away a LOT of fuel. If I get the gumption, I may do this again with a bit more stringent restraints on myself.

It's also - I believe - a "Level 1" entry. I never landed 2 Kerbals on any one moon, and alternated Jeb and Val in the lander while the other was in the orbiter. Bill came along in the mothership but I literally never used him. I mostly brought him because I felt bad, he'd barely gone anywhere all career.

I used a few mods but none that affect physics. I did not actively collect science as I had fully maxed out the tech tree, but I did let ForScience do its thing.

MODS:

Spoiler

ForScience
WarpEverywhere
AntennaHelper
Astrogator
AllYAll
PreciseNode
RCSBuildAid
BetterBurnTime
KerbalAlarmClock
TransferWindowPlanner

I didn't go for the smallest or cheapest, but I did build fairly small, I think. The ship on the pad was 1,126.906 tons and cost 407,372 funds. The big idea was to park the mothership in an elliptical equatorial Tylo orbit and send the orbiter and lander to each target from there, as it was super cheap to do each sub-mission that way, and also super cheap to achieve that orbit and escape from it back to Kerbin. And I already had the orbiter so I used it to push the Tylo lander down to low Tylo orbit. All in all, the mission went well.

Here's a pic in the VAB, and in the spoilers below are the 4 videos comprising the entire mission. Sorry for the dramatic view in the VAB, it's the only way it would all fit on the screen :D

Jool5.jpg

Videos:

Part 1:

Spoiler

Part 2:

Spoiler

Part 3:

Spoiler

Part 4:

Spoiler

On 2/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I never submitted by Joolollo mission from my Kerpollo run to the Jool 5. Oops :) Let met correct that now.

4 videos, about 15-20 minutes all told. From what I can tell this would count as a DLC run in 1.6.1. I "only" used the Wolfhound and amusingly could have just not used it as the ship ended up throwing away a LOT of fuel. If I get the gumption, I may do this again with a bit more stringent restraints on myself.

It's also - I believe - a "Level 1" entry. I never landed 2 Kerbals on any one moon, and alternated Jeb and Val in the lander while the other was in the orbiter. Bill came along in the mothership but I literally never used him. I mostly brought him because I felt bad, he'd barely gone anywhere all career.

I used a few mods but none that affect physics. I did not actively collect science as I had fully maxed out the tech tree, but I did let ForScience do its thing.

MODS:

Reveal hidden contents

ForScience
WarpEverywhere
AntennaHelper
Astrogator
AllYAll
PreciseNode
RCSBuildAid
BetterBurnTime
KerbalAlarmClock
TransferWindowPlanner

I didn't go for the smallest or cheapest, but I did build fairly small, I think. The ship on the pad was 1,126.906 tons and cost 407,372 funds. The big idea was to park the mothership in an elliptical equatorial Tylo orbit and send the orbiter and lander to each target from there, as it was super cheap to do each sub-mission that way, and also super cheap to achieve that orbit and escape from it back to Kerbin. And I already had the orbiter so I used it to push the Tylo lander down to low Tylo orbit. All in all, the mission went well.

Here's a pic in the VAB, and in the spoilers below are the 4 videos comprising the entire mission. Sorry for the dramatic view in the VAB, it's the only way it would all fit on the screen :D

Jool5.jpg

Videos:

Part 1:

Reveal hidden contents

Part 2:

Reveal hidden contents

Part 3:

Reveal hidden contents

Part 4:

Reveal hidden contents

Sweet :0.0:

Also, @sdj64 sensei (master or teacher in Japan), where are you now ???

Edited by GRS

On 2/8/2019 at 11:31 PM, 5thHorseman said:

MODS:

Reveal hidden contents

ForScience
WarpEverywhere
AntennaHelper
Astrogator
AllYAll
PreciseNode
RCSBuildAid
BetterBurnTime
KerbalAlarmClock
TransferWindowPlanner

Jool5.jpg

Videos:

Part 1:

Hide contents

Part 2:

Hide contents

Part 3:

Hide contents

Part 4:

Hide contents

Congratulations @5thHorseman on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 1! Your videos were amazing and your Laythe lander was the most Kerbal I've ever seen. Amazing job!

Playing Science mode, normal difficulty, pure stock. A Jool 5 is a nice way to complete my tech tree...at the moment it's a little sparse .

sBvt2oZ.png

Prepare for a primitive entry!

• Only Reliant, Swivel and Thumper engines
  • 1 ton FL-T200 is the largest fuel tank (of 2 available)
  • No luxuries such as ladders
  • No struts (this is Science mode)

I'm attempting 3 challenges in 1:

• Jool 5 @ Level 3 (Jebediah's Level)
  • @5thHorseman's Kerpollo rules (especially no more than 1 ground Biome per planet/moon)
  • A personal goal to unlock the tech tree in the fewest launches. This is the 2nd launch. First launch here.

Some unorthodox approaches were necessary. For example the craft is held together mostly by hope and also a horizontal spar made of 4 empty Thumpers (used as structural elements). The part count was...well let's just say the craft was named Destroyer of Framerate. (craft file here)

At launch it took 30 seconds of real time for each 1 second of a game time. Active control was out of the question until later in the ascent. By draining fuel tanks on one side slightly, a reasonably respectable gravity turn was passively induced.

To get to Jool, I used the tried and tested K-E-K-K-J multiple gravity assist route. I turned this journey into it's own tutorial video to hopefully assist any budding Kerbonauts.

I'll post the Tylo, Laythe, Val, Bop, Pol and Kerbin return mission grouped into a few videos over the next few days, as soon as I get time to edit several hours of rambling recordings into a coherent narrative. :)

Edited by ManEatingApe

23 minutes ago, ManEatingApe said:

I'm attempting 3 challenges in 1:

Surely Jebediah level will be uncompetitive if you can only visit one surface biome per moon.  Or just curious to see how many science points are available by executing Kerpollo style?  

6 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

Surely Jebediah level will be uncompetitive if you can only visit one surface biome per moon.  Or just curious to see how many science points are available by executing Kerpollo style?  

You're spot on - it's much tougher! Only having half the science experiments available doesn't help things either. :)

Edited by ManEatingApe

28 minutes ago, ManEatingApe said:

You're spot on - it's much tougher! Only having half the science experiments available doesn't help things either. :)

I am definitely doing Joolollo at level 3.  My landing craft can definitely do multiple biomes.  I might just do Joolloolo under Kerpollo rules, and if my craft is friendly enough, then do it again at Jeb level.

29 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

I am definitely doing Joolollo at level 3.  My landing craft can definitely do multiple biomes.  I might just do Joolloolo under Kerpollo rules, and if my craft is friendly enough, then do it again at Jeb level.

I look forward to seeing your entry (or possibly entries)!

6 hours ago, PTGFlyer said:

i keep strapping on boosters and my ram is starting to yell at me and I haven't even left the VAB yet.

Have you tried lowering quality ?

My RAM is 6 GB, yet my 1.5 is fairly close to minimum graphic quality, also try making sure that KSP is the only thing running in your PC or laptop, you better be able to make something like 5000 tons or more, if your thing uses ISRU and docking, it shouldn't go beyond 2000 tons, my largest thing has 877 Parts and 10.814,82 Tons of mass, yet i still can fly it smoothly (the FPS made me took 10 seconds of real time to finish 1 second in game)

Edited by GRS

Yeah, I'm still running at close to normal speeds. My problem is none of the engines short enough to work with landing legs that also have the thrust I need work in stacks, so I'm making it wide which is upping the drag.

If you can, forget about shock absorbers, or use offset (or move) tool to pull the legs down, or use structural parts for shock absorbers, looking forward to your (hopefully impressive) submission. :)

Everything in my challenge cart : (first 2 envelopes a Jool 5)

-Kerpollo by 5thHorseman.

-The-you-know-what Challenge by Just Jim.

-K Prize by boolybooly.

Edited by GRS

12 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Here's the Mission Report of my Jool-5/Grand Tour attempt, at Level 1, with no refuelling or ISRU.

:)

*Violent clapping*

Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level one with a GRAND TOUR! When I saw how small the rocket was I had no idea how it would get it done, but you showed just how much can be done with so little. I am impressed at your ion-powered Vall lander. I tried developing one for my grand tour and I couldn't get it anywhere near small enough to be efficient, so great job on that! Derton's voyage around the system was excellent. Adding you to the leaderboard now.

20 hours ago, GRS said:

If you can, forget about shock absorbers, or use offset (or move) tool to pull the legs down, or use structural parts for shock absorbers, looking forward to your (hopefully impressive) submission. :)

Everything in my challenge cart : (first 2 envelopes a Jool 5)

-Kerpollo by 5thHorseman.

-The-you-know-what Challenge by Just Jim.

-K Prize by boolybooly.

it's basically just a large triangle with boosters that are being taken down to Laythe, and ISRU

23 minutes ago, PTGFlyer said:

it's basically just a large triangle with boosters that are being taken down to Laythe, and ISRU

Yes, except K Prize, Not sure about Kerpollo, and The Ultimate Challenge ???

No, not going to use ISRU, i need to approve my "madlad" title which you can find on my second submission in page 16.

Spoiler

Oops, i thought you mean those 3 Challenges, use Mammoths or Vectors or Aerospikes, they have nice Impact tolerance, maybe post a screenshot ???

Edited by GRS

15 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

*SNIPPY SNIP*

Well, great thing about Ion Vall Lander, should save mass and lower complexity level of my Grand Tour with 5, will send : Simone to Tylo and Eve, Jeb to Laythe and Duna, Val to Vall, Bob to Bop, and Bill to EVA land Pol.

Edited by GRS

Here's my Jool mission from Kerpollo which should be suitable for Jool 5 - Tier 1 I hope.

It is:

• Chemical rockets only.
  • No ISRU
  • 499t on the launchpad (single launch).

I overestimated the fuel requirements quite a lot. The Eve-Kerbin slingshot worked better than expected and the transfer from Tylo to Laythe was much cheaper than expected.

Two Kerbals left Kerbin and two came back. Val may or may not have crashed into Tylo but someone calling herself Val came back to Kerbin so I hope that's fine... There was a mysterious explosion at about 3000m when leaving Tylo and the mission log said Val had crashed into Tylo. But... there was still someone calling herself Val sitting in the command chair. I chose to not ask any questions.

There's a short album here: https://imgur.com/a/5hFnDM0

and a video at 8x speed. Here's a short index:

• 00:17:04    Parked at Tylo. Preparing landing
  • 00:19:00    Val is replaced by evil impostor?
  • 00:23:14    Returned to Tylo parking. Setting up the Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol craft.    
  • 00:27:44    Laythe landing
  • 00:30:31    Very nice Jool rising during ascent.    
  • 00:36:44    Vall landing
  • 00:40:24    Bop landing
  • 00:40:32    Jeb falls out of his seat when staging empty fuel tanks.
  • 00:42:39    Vals impostor can't plant flags.
  • 00:46:17    Pol landing. Still no flag...
  • 00:51:59    Transfer to return ship at Tylo
  • 00:54:57    Back at Kerbin.
Spoiler

General info:

• Game version 1.6.1 (so the Wolfhound was nerfed).
  • Mods: KER, KAC, Precise, BetterTimeWarp, All Y'All and most importantly Chatterer.
  • Cost 192,840 bucks.
  • No satellites, rovers etc. Just an orbiter and a lander to fullfil the requirements of Kerpollo.
  • The dV cost from LKO to Tylo parking was 1039 for a Jool intercept orbit and 324 for parking. Total 1363 m/s from Kerbin to Tylo.
  • Going from Tylo to Laythe cost about 200 m/s and not 1100 m/s like I had planned for...

1 hour ago, dvader said:

*SNIPPY SNIP*

Well, i know what happened to "Evil Impostor Val", you need to get her on a pod so that she can bring a new flag, the same happened in my first attempt, where i forget to get Simone (A Kerbal i made with debug menu) inside the pod, the lander was a bare seat to space.

6ZbwrVM.png

A pic of the landing. (Yep, i was unable to plant a flag on Tylo)

About the explosion, it might be just the flag blowing up, such thing often occur in my Bopar landing, only in my Second Jool 5 i was be able to stop that. (and i think i need that K-E-K-J Transfer route, which is easier to plan with more delta v to save (i guess) than K-E-K-K-J)

Edited by GRS

53 minutes ago, GRS said:

Well, i know what happened to "Evil Impostor Val", you need to get her on a pod so that she can bring a new flag, the same happened in my first attempt, where i forget to get Simone (A Kerbal i made with debug menu) inside the pod, the lander was a bare seat to space.

About the explosion, it might be just the flag blowing up, such thing often occur in my Bopar landing, only in my Second Jool 5 i was be able to stop that. (and i think i need that K-E-K-J Transfer route, which is easier to plan with more delta v to save (i guess) than K-E-K-K-J)

Oh really? The developers actually cared enough to add a flag counter to every Kerbal so they can only carry 1 flag? That is developing time well spent :)

The exploding flag hypothesis makes kind of sense. The log says "Val" crashed into Tylo which probably was the name of the flag. The only mystery is why it happened at 8500m above Tylo and why the explosion started at the craft and "fell down". The flag must have been invisibly attached. I think an assassination by an evil twin makes more sense...