The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

The primitive Jool 5 started here, continues with Tylo and Laythe missions. To maximize science collected while obeying the Kerpollo challenge restrictions, the crafts launch into polar orbits, allowing collection of EVA reports from above every biome.

Jeb lands on Tylo in a craft with no ladders, no landing legs, a single Reliant and the bare minimum of snacks.

• Descent begins at 1:20
  • Creative substitute for ladder at 4:00

Valentina visits Laythe with a minimalist craft propelled only by a single Swivel.

• Descent begins at 1:30
  • Practical application of science at 3:00
Edited by ManEatingApe

On 2/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, dvader said:

Oh really? The developers actually cared enough to add a flag counter to every Kerbal so they can only carry 1 flag? That is developing time well spent :)

You know as well as I do that if they hadn't, people would be raging about how cheaty it is that they have infinite flags. ;)

Though the developer you want to be annoyed at is probably HarvesteR, as that feature has been in the game - as far as I can recall - since before I got it in 0.22

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You know as well as I do that if they hadn't, people would be raging about how cheaty it is that they have infinite flags. ;)

Though the developer you want to be annoyed at is probably HarvesteR, as that feature has been in the game - as far as I can recall - since before I got it in 0.22

Oh, that explains it. They added it back when the developers were young, idealistic and thought they had all the time in the world to implement the perfect game :).

It is funny that people would probably complain more about infinite flags (the weight!!!) than about Kerbals surviving for years in cold space without food or water.

1 hour ago, dvader said:

Oh, that explains it. They added it back when the developers were young, idealistic and thought they had all the time in the world to implement the perfect game :).

It is funny that people would probably complain more about infinite flags (the weight!!!) than about Kerbals surviving for years in cold space without food or water.

Kerbals got Chlorophyll glands (?) So that they can survive for long time with no food and water, and maybe capable to store resources in their body.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, dvader said:

Here's my Jool mission from Kerpollo which should be suitable for Jool 5 - Tier 1 I hope.

It is:

• Chemical rockets only.
  • No ISRU
  • 499t on the launchpad (single launch).

I overestimated the fuel requirements quite a lot. The Eve-Kerbin slingshot worked better than expected and the transfer from Tylo to Laythe was much cheaper than expected.

Two Kerbals left Kerbin and two came back. Val may or may not have crashed into Tylo but someone calling herself Val came back to Kerbin so I hope that's fine... There was a mysterious explosion at about 3000m when leaving Tylo and the mission log said Val had crashed into Tylo. But... there was still someone calling herself Val sitting in the command chair. I chose to not ask any questions.

There's a short album here: https://imgur.com/a/5hFnDM0

and a video at 8x speed. Here's a short index:

• 00:17:04    Parked at Tylo. Preparing landing
  • 00:19:00    Val is replaced by evil impostor?
  • 00:23:14    Returned to Tylo parking. Setting up the Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol craft.    
  • 00:27:44    Laythe landing
  • 00:30:31    Very nice Jool rising during ascent.    
  • 00:36:44    Vall landing
  • 00:40:24    Bop landing
  • 00:40:32    Jeb falls out of his seat when staging empty fuel tanks.
  • 00:42:39    Vals impostor can't plant flags.
  • 00:46:17    Pol landing. Still no flag...
  • 00:51:59    Transfer to return ship at Tylo
  • 00:54:57    Back at Kerbin.
  Hide contents

General info:

• Game version 1.6.1 (so the Wolfhound was nerfed).
  • Mods: KER, KAC, Precise, BetterTimeWarp, All Y'All and most importantly Chatterer.
  • Cost 192,840 bucks.
  • No satellites, rovers etc. Just an orbiter and a lander to fullfil the requirements of Kerpollo.
  • The dV cost from LKO to Tylo parking was 1039 for a Jool intercept orbit and 324 for parking. Total 1363 m/s from Kerbin to Tylo.
  • Going from Tylo to Laythe cost about 200 m/s and not 1100 m/s like I had planned for...

@dvader Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level 1! FYI, Kerbals only carry one flag on them so they need to reboard a cabin before being able to planet another one. Ignoring that though, amazing job. I liked how you had the Laythe plane stowed away in the rocket at an angle.

4 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Kerbals only carry one flag on them so they need to reboard a cabin before being able to planet another one.

If you don't care about the actual flag itself and just want to achieve "plant a flag" they can also plant it and immediately pick it back up. That way a chaired Kerbal can get "Plant a flag on..." experience from all worlds they visit.

4 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Ignoring that though, amazing job. I liked how you had the Laythe plane stowed away in the rocket at an angle. 

I liked that too. I frequently store 2 probes like that so they don't clip into each other, one upside-down on an upper fairing tier, but never thought to do that with a mini-plane.

Hello, so I'm working on a Jool V run. I just now left my resourse window closed for a transfer from Laythe to Tylo. I've got the window before and after the transfer, but switched back to the tracking station before I did the burn and forgot to open it again.

Would this be disqualifying? I just wanted to check because my last save of course was a thirty km jet boat drive and liftoff from Laythe ago.

15 minutes ago, SolarAdmiral said:

Hello, so I'm working on a Jool V run. I just now left my resourse window closed for a transfer from Laythe to Tylo. I've got the window before and after the transfer, but switched back to the tracking station before I did the burn and forgot to open it again.

Would this be disqualifying? I just wanted to check because my last save of course was a thirty km jet boat drive and liftoff from Laythe ago.

Good luck, maybe quickload before that happenned, if it's not fine. @JacobJHC, someone got a question.

Thanks, sadly no dice.

Thanks for your attention if you can get me an answer Jacob sorry for taking your time.

I have the resourse window at orbit of Laythe, I did a rather unimpressive and not terribly efficent transfer, I don't have the resource window again until in orbit of Tylo. I was recording the whole thing so I have all the footage.

I was intending to have it open the whole way, but of course forgot. And no worries if it is disqualifying. I have an earlier save and can redo it, just as I said I'll also have to redo a long rover stretch.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, SolarAdmiral said:

Nah, you're fine. Good luck with the rest of your mission!

6 minutes ago, GRS said:

@JacobJHC, how should i do the interplanetary transfers in a grand tour like you did ???

What I did is the easy/lazy solution, direct transfers. I would just wait for a launch window and go for it (through many burns though since ions). However this leaves a lot of room for inefficiency, as no gravity assists were utilized. I suggest learning how to do Eve-Kerbin gravity assists as it will save lots of fuel, I didn't because I'm lazy.

5 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

What I did is the easy/lazy solution, direct transfers. I would just wait for a launch window and go for it (through many burns though since ions). However this leaves a lot of room for inefficiency, as no gravity assists were utilized. I suggest learning how to do Eve-Kerbin gravity assists as it will save lots of fuel, I didn't because I'm lazy.

Lazy Solutions...i hate planning since TWR too low, if my TWR is at least 0.1, i'll plan some efficiency transfers, how many burns to escape Kerbin ??? (Jool Ship compared to the Ship for other bodies like Dres).

Spoiler

Sometimes it's nice to be lazy in KSP.

Edited by GRS

2 minutes ago, GRS said:

Lazy Solutions...i hate planning since TWR too low, if my TWR is at least 0.1, i'll plan some efficiency transfers, how many burns to escape Kerbin ??? (Jool Ship compared to the Ship for other bodies like Dres).

No idea. Almost too many for my sanity.

Hi, I'm thinking of doing this when I explore Jool, I was wondering whether it would disqualify me if I sent along another ship with some base parts (but did not dock to it or go near it in any way. I was just going to leave it in Pol orbit.). If not I just won't submit it here. Thanks

Edited by fulgur

Just now, fulgur said:

Hi, I'm thinking of doing this when I explore Jool, I was wondering whether it would disqualify me if I sent along another ship with some base parts (but did not dock to it or go near it in any way. I was just going to leave it in Pol orbit.). If not I just won't submit it here. Thanks

As long as the two ships don't exchange Kerbals, fuel, or parts it's fine.

OK thanks, I wasn't planning on exchanging parts anyway. And it turned out to be low on fuel :(.

The Jool-5 ship turned out to be stock while the colony has some Wild Blue (Pathfinder) stuff in a KIS container.

EDIT: I've done the first bit - Kerbin -> Jool -> Laythe

EDIT: The kraken took me back to my Laythe landing backup, will do it stock in another save to save time.

Edited by fulgur
Adding Imgur album

Jool 5 Mission Update:

Resumption of vehicle testing and mission rehearsals.  The long hiatus from testing due to scheduling and KSC renovations (read my office/workshop/basement :) )  have identified several mission critical issues:

1 - Laythe Exploration Vehicle doesn't have a science package.  This has been corrected.  Several test flight of the updated design craft have been scheduled.

2 - All food stuffs were not removed from the various crafts during the hiatus.  Bill is still in Sickbay due to Snack poisoning.

3 - After multiple recalcutions and tests of the power plant for the main Jool Transfer Vehicle, it was discovered that there was actually not enough fuel for the reactors.  Testing of the now modified vessel and its Launch Vehicle are now underway.  

4 - probably something else

Jool-5 3rd level mission- video below.  Game version 1.5.1.2335 

Mission notes:

• Single launch from Kerbin.  Launch craft cost $1,590,031.All stock components, no mods used
  • The self imposed challenge was to land a 2 man pressurised vessel on all five of Jool's moons. 
  • 5 scientists were on the mission, in addition to Jeb the pilot and Bill the ISRU engineer
  • In accordance with Werner von Kermans vision for a glider landing for Duna, this was executed on Laythe. 
  • To provide aerodynamics to the Laythe glider and a robust landing module for atmospheric pressure, the lander chosen was a Mk2 Cockpit with Spark engines - and this was re-used for all other landings. 
  • All landings included a full compliment of science instruments, although the team were enjoying themselves so much they mostly forgot to gather any science. 
  • All flights were tested at Kerbin, so the craft components are all engineered with a design factor of 2 - Werner just insisted. 
  • DeltaV was never really an issue, although Laythe to Pol turned out to be a bit closer than expected. 
  • The policy of parking the NERVA tug in a highly elliptical orbit, and dropping the lander from there, saved valuable fuel at Laythe and enabled the Kerbin return direct from Tylo   .
  • The safety and comfort of the Kerbal crew was also a priority, so the Kerbals enjoyed an PPD-10 Hitchhiker and an artificial gravity environment for the journey. 

All went well with no unexpected explosions, the Laythe landing being the most enjoyable and satisfying.   

Please let me know if you have any questions, and require any additional screenshots.

Edited by jinnantonix