The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

Ok, next question @sdj64 and @JacobJHC:

Looking at my collection of oopses from my last mothership, aside from the HL tanks from B9 being added in by mistake (and clipped into the hull no less *facepalm*), I also noticed I used 2 other parts that I'd like some clarification for.

1 - The Info Drive:  This is an almost massless part (think it's about the same mass as the current MechJeb Arc Case).  This is part is also in some part of Firespitter.  It is simply there to allow a pop up window to be activated via hotkey.  This window is a customizable list of your action groups.  I have since replaced this part with a pencil and paper.  :)

2 - The "under mounted fold away landing legs in a box".  These things weigh a tonne or 2 literally.  But I selected them based upon their thermal resistance as my mothership was build to rely on aerobraking as the main means of Joolian orbital insertion.

I am not concerned about the Info Drive.  If I really need that extra part, I can install the firespitter mod, not just the plugin.  What I would like to know is if I may use the "Landing Legs In A Box" from B9 - real name is H50-B Landing Leg.  If required, I can supply some screen shots of the offending part.

Edited by smotheredrun

17 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

You can still use what you've already built. This challenge is accepting any entries cut off by the last thread's discommoding.

To be honest im finding some of the new parts in 1.4.1 and MH really good. My reusable lander ive just finished and its better than my last one!

6 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

If required, I can supply some screen shots of the offending part.

That would be appreciated. The info drive sounds just fine.

6 hours ago, maceemiller said:

To be honest im finding some of the new parts in 1.4.1 and MH really good. My reusable lander ive just finished and its better than my last one!

Sounds good to me, looking forward to your submission.

@JacobJHC

Here is the landing leg's config file.

Here is a screenshot:

Spoiler

5wR1NcT.jpg

FHUEegT.jpg

The Legs are twice the mass of the biggest stock ones, and just under twice the price (biggest stock is 340:funds:).  The only thing I can see that is missing is the "Stress Tolerance" dialogue on the right hand side that the stock gears/legs all have.  I am now investigating this over at the B9 thread.

Hope that helps.

Edited by smotheredrun
stuff

Hi

So I will post the album of my grand tour which of course includes a trip round the Jool 5. I'll include my modlist below. I did not remove HyperEdit prior to the start of the tour so I'll understand if this doesn't make me eligable for anything, but I thought others might find the album interesting anyway!

I completed the tour in v1.3.1 KSP.

Included in the album are some links to download a stock 'Ultimate Challenge' contract save file that I picked up off these forums a few years ago. I'd be happy to post the links here but as I'm a new user I don't want to get banned for posting unapproved files to download! 

The album is here anyway: https://imgur.com/gallery/gePP5

Modlist:

Chatterer

DeflatableHeatShield

EasyVesselSwitch

KAS & KIS

KerbalEngineer

HyperEdit (for ship testing)

Mechjeb2

Mechjeb & KerbalEngineer for all

Scatterer

UbioWeldingLtd

World Stabiliser

On 3/25/2018 at 12:33 AM, Pipcard said:

I wish older versions of KSP were still accepted.

They are

On 3/25/2018 at 8:18 AM, qwewew said:

The album is here anyway

Hi, I think you have an issue with your album, it just appears to be 1,400+ drawings of space.

I have an incredibly ambitious plan.

Not just science every moon, but carry out every experiment on every biome in every moon, and a data transmit from Jool. And I intend to do it all in one launch, just like the old challenge rules.

My problem however is making a Laythe biome hopper. Either I must make a mobile lab fly, or bring along 10 independently controlled and re-entry capable science packages. Either plan requires a plane.

So far I've built this thing, but I'm terrible at landing.  It has a nasty tendency to flip over because whenever I input a 10 degree roll left, it whips back and responds 60 degrees right.

https://imgur.com/a/1VQjT

Do you guys have any advice? Or, if this isn't the right place to ask, where do I ask? I've been out of the loop for KSP for over a year; I was in school and had no time for games or forums.

Edited by starcaptain

4 hours ago, starcaptain said:

Not just science every moon, but carry out every experiment on every biome in every moon, and a data transmit from Jool. And I intend to do it all in one launch, just like the old challenge rules.

My problem however is making a Laythe biome hopper. Either I must make a mobile lab fly, or bring along 10 independently controlled and re-entry capable science packages. Either plan requires a plane.

So far I've built this thing, but I'm terrible at landing.  It has a nasty tendency to flip over because whenever I input a 10 degree roll left, it whips back and responds 60 degrees right.

Do you guys have any advice? Or, if this isn't the right place to ask, where do I ask? I've been out of the loop for KSP for over a year; I was in school and had no time for games or forums.

Maybe you could put a ton of parachutes to keep it oriented the right way?

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Maybe you could put a ton of parachutes to keep it oriented the right way?

It's a solution I guess. Not as elegant as I would've liked, but then again there's never been a kludge so ugly I wouldn't try it twice.

As far as part clipping goes, does my plane look legal? I think the spirit of the rules is not to have too much impossible violation of part volumes, lest someone try to fit five ion engines, landing gear, science packages, nuclear generators and a dish antenna all inside of a crew capsule... And to that end I try to keep my stuff legal, even if it isn't too the letter of the law.

Inside of the nosecone is a battery and a surface scanner.

Edited by starcaptain

Here's my entry and album.   This was done as a grand tour under the Ultimate Challenge rules using a reasonably sized general purpose cargo spaceplane I designed during my initial career mode playthrough.   For the grand tour the plane needed to stage a lander in LKO (flown by itself and shown), but for Jool-5 it could have gone in one launch.

I suppose this could be either lvl 2 or 3, or both since 5 Kerbals all landed on all 5 Jool moons together.   

Mods used:

• Mechjeb
  • Stock Visual Enhancements
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements

ISRU used and all but the Tylo lander were in a reusable spaceplane.

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/kerbalspaceryan/Tiamat

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/sOuIc

Edited by iAMtheWALRUS
Added craft file

On 3/29/2018 at 2:05 PM, starcaptain said:

All you need is to make a 2-crew plane with one science package including an experiment storage unit. Bring along a pilot and a scientist, who can reset the goo and materials, and store your results in the storage unit until you can bring them all back to the lab at the main ship. Maybe you missed the introduction of this part while you were away from KSP?

Your plane probably has too much wing dihedral (upwards angle) and your rudders could be moved to the wingtips, which would put them farther back from the CoM. Also check that each control surface is set to only one of pitch, yaw, or roll.

2 hours ago, sdj64 said:

All you need is to make a 2-crew plane with one science package including an experiment storage unit. Bring along a pilot and a scientist, who can reset the goo and materials, and store your results in the storage unit until you can bring them all back to the lab at the main ship

Oh mam you just saved me a lot of work.