JacobJHC

The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continuation for 1.9

Recommended Posts

Hey, alright I've completed it!

KerbalX Craft Download - https://kerbalx.com/KerbalSpaceAdmiral/The-Cone-6

 

Single Kerbin Launch

$999,940 funds

1,979.25 tons

348 parts

Game Version 1.6.1

No Mods, No DLC

7 Kerbals on Mission 

       Laythe - Jeb and Bob

      Tylo - Ferson and Bob

      Vall - Vallentina and Bob

      Pol - Kateney and Bob

      Bop - Elizor and Bob

      Also tagged along - Seanski

Biomes Visited

      Jool High Orbit

     Laythe High Orbit, Low Orbit, High Atmo, Low Atmo, Segan Sea, Shallows, Shores (Splashed), Shores (Landed)

      Tylo High Orbit, Low Orbit, Midlands, Lowlands, Highlands, Minor Craters, Tycho Crater

      Vall High Orbit, Low Orbit, Highlands, Lowlands

      Pol High Orbit, Low Orbit, Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands

      Bop High Orbit, Low Orbit, Slopes, Valley, Peaks

No Refueling Mission

No IRSU

Rover for Tylo

Jetboat rover for Laythe

 

 

Total Science - 42,296

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JacobJHC, you got a (probably) Jeb Level entry, come and check it !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GRS said:

@JacobJHC, did you use autostrut in your immense "MR STARK I DONT WANT TO GO"...??? (I might need it for my Sheep v3)

I used enough autostrut to stretch around Gilly lol. I'm excited for Sheep v3

@jinnantonix Amazing submission, everything about it was great. I don't have the time currently to formally congratulate you, but I will later today, so I will then. Great job!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

I'm excited for Sheep v3

This may take long time, i haven't finished constructing it, yet i know i'm really close to finishing, just some arranging to finish, and i still don't understand how to do what you said with OBS, yet i found a different method using OBS, by using Game Capture, and i won't strut the Smaller Landers because that will kill their efficiency.

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The primitive Jool 5 started here and continued with Tylo and Laythe missions, concludes with these 2 videos.

 

First up is a Vall, Bop & Pol triple combo:

  • The video begins with Vall, landing at 0:35.
  • Bop begins at 3:10. This mission was a little more tricky than anticipated and needed a Tylo gravity assist (at 4:45) to rendezvous with the mothership.
  • Pol starts at 5:50. Unintentional hilarity ensues when the ship begins rolling away at 6:40

Next is the Kerbin return journey. This was a lot of fun!

  • Re-entry begins around 1:50
  • 6 Kerbal formation skydiving at 2:50

 

To meet the basic Level 3 requirements, 6 Kerbals total went to the Jool system, 5 landing one each on a different moon.
For Jebediah's level 17008 science gross was recovered (at 3:50 in the video).
Subtracting 136 collected from Kerbol and 340 gathered from Eve gives 16,532 science net gathered from the Jool system.

Edited by ManEatingApe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JacobJHC

A submission up there, and how much you're waiting for The Sheep v3 ??? (It's hopefully launch ready)

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two pendings...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @JacobJHC  For some time now, I have been wanting to do a major mission with artificial gravity (centrifugal force craft spin) included.  I was inspired by the craft design Life One which I saw in a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push .  With the Kerpollo challenge  it made a lot of sense, as we all know Werner von Kerman cares for the health of his “Kerbal occupants”.  I also wanted an opportunity to do Jool-5 level 3, as my previous Jool-5 Jeb level attempt collected a lot of science, but did not take enough Kerbals to qualify (still kicking myself about that).  I wanted to do this latest mission at Jeb level, but the Kerpollo challenge rules only allow landing at one biome on the planet surface.  So now I am designing another Jool-5 mission, with a multi-purpose SSTO spaceplane similar to the Eve Science Challenge  , with the intent of visiting every biome in the Jool system, and a science tally that will be a real challenge to beat.   

Question: is it against the rules to use Mechjeb for the Jool moon piloting?  It would be useful to maintain craft stability allowing warp when flying between biomes, and so reduce game time.J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jinnantonix said:

Thanks @JacobJHC  For some time now, I have been wanting to do a major mission with artificial gravity (centrifugal force craft spin) included.  I was inspired by the craft design Life One which I saw in a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push .  With the Kerpollo challenge  it made a lot of sense, as we all know Werner von Kerman cares for the health of his “Kerbal occupants”.  I also wanted an opportunity to do Jool-5 level 3, as my previous Jool-5 Jeb level attempt collected a lot of science, but did not take enough Kerbals to qualify (still kicking myself about that).  I wanted to do this latest mission at Jeb level, but the Kerpollo challenge rules only allow landing at one biome on the planet surface.  So now I am designing another Jool-5 mission, with a multi-purpose SSTO spaceplane similar to the Eve Science Challenge  , with the intent of visiting every biome in the Jool system, and a science tally that will be a real challenge to beat.   

Question: is it against the rules to use Mechjeb for the Jool moon piloting?  It would be useful to maintain craft stability allowing warp when flying between biomes, and so reduce game time.J

It doesn't alter gameplay, so it MIGHT be yes, wait longer till @JacobJHC give a clear answer. (Also is it normal to see a bunch of "Nyan Cats" while starting KSP, i placed OBS in the folder where i placed all my KSPs)

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jinnantonix Congrats on finishing the Jool 5 challenge on level 1! The centrifuge was an amazing touch. I'll add you to the leader-board now.

@ManEatingApe Congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on Jeb's level. 17,008 science in one mission, especially with the part restrictions is hard to fathom. Likewise, your craft is one of if not the most interesting in appearance. Congrats on this thread's second Jeb's Level submission!

@jinnantonix Congrats on finishing the Jool 5 challenge on level 3! The centrifuge was an amazing touch. I'll add you to the leaderboard now.

@ManEatingApe Congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on Jeb's level. 17,008 science in one mission, especially with the part restrictions is hard to fathom. Likewise, your craft is one of if not the most interesting in appearance. Congrats on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SolarAdmiral@fulgur Your submissions look good but I do not have the time at the moment to review both of them in their entirety. Later today I will finalize their reviewing.

3 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Thanks @JacobJHC  For some time now, I have been wanting to do a major mission with artificial gravity (centrifugal force craft spin) included.  I was inspired by the craft design Life One which I saw in a movie called Astronaut: The Last Push .  With the Kerpollo challenge  it made a lot of sense, as we all know Werner von Kerman cares for the health of his “Kerbal occupants”.  I also wanted an opportunity to do Jool-5 level 3, as my previous Jool-5 Jeb level attempt collected a lot of science, but did not take enough Kerbals to qualify (still kicking myself about that).  I wanted to do this latest mission at Jeb level, but the Kerpollo challenge rules only allow landing at one biome on the planet surface.  So now I am designing another Jool-5 mission, with a multi-purpose SSTO spaceplane similar to the Eve Science Challenge  , with the intent of visiting every biome in the Jool system, and a science tally that will be a real challenge to beat.   

Question: is it against the rules to use Mechjeb for the Jool moon piloting?  It would be useful to maintain craft stability allowing warp when flying between biomes, and so reduce game time.J

I eagerly await your next submission :). 

As for your question; That is allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JacobJHC said:

...17,008 science in one mission, especially with the part restrictions is hard to fathom. Likewise, your craft is one of if not the most interesting in appearance.

Thanks! In the interest of fairness only 16,532 science was gathered from Jool. (I picked up some stray science from Kerbol and Eve)

Edited by ManEatingApe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh !!! Why are these guys really good at this !?!?!?

And here's a gift for ya...

ufwYAia.png

Sheep v3 Grand Tourer in its (hopefully) Final Form. ;)

Also @sturmhauke, how did you make your signatures hyperlinked ???

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GRS said:

Also @sturmhauke, how did you make your signatures hyperlinked ???

First add the image, then highlight it like you would with text and add the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

First add the image, then highlight it like you would with text and add the link.

Thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 11:19 PM, SolarAdmiral said:

Hey, alright I've completed it!

KerbalX Craft Download - https://kerbalx.com/KerbalSpaceAdmiral/The-Cone-6

 

Single Kerbin Launch

$999,940 funds

1,979.25 tons

348 parts

Game Version 1.6.1

No Mods, No DLC

7 Kerbals on Mission 

       Laythe - Jeb and Bob

      Tylo - Ferson and Bob

      Vall - Vallentina and Bob

      Pol - Kateney and Bob

      Bop - Elizor and Bob

      Also tagged along - Seanski

Biomes Visited

      Jool High Orbit

     Laythe High Orbit, Low Orbit, High Atmo, Low Atmo, Segan Sea, Shallows, Shores (Splashed), Shores (Landed)

      Tylo High Orbit, Low Orbit, Midlands, Lowlands, Highlands, Minor Craters, Tycho Crater

      Vall High Orbit, Low Orbit, Highlands, Lowlands

      Pol High Orbit, Low Orbit, Lowlands, Midlands, Highlands

      Bop High Orbit, Low Orbit, Slopes, Valley, Peaks

No Refueling Mission

No IRSU

Rover for Tylo

Jetboat rover for Laythe

 

 

Total Science - 42,296

Congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on Jeb's level! You Laythe lander is the most unique I've seen in a while. Most are spaceplanes, but a floating platform is something I haven't seen in a while. Your Tylo rover was another feat of engineering. Did you circumnavigate Tylo? Also (how??) the amount of recovered science has shattered the last record of most recorded science by over 22.5 thousand science points. It is double the previous record.

This is amazing. Bravo! Bravo! Adding you to the leader board now. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fulgur said:

I finished my Jool 5: https://kerbalx.com/fulgur/Jool-Alpha is the craft file; https://imgur.com/a/IrDZUu0 is the mission. I hope I've remembered to photograph all the things needed.

ejnnwYG.jpg

(The mothership arrives at Pol)

Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 challenge on level one! I like how small the mothership was, and the use of ions is satisfying to see. I also feel you have one of if not the most interesting Tylo lander submitted thus far. Congrats! Adding you to the leader-board now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Congrats on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on Jeb's level! You Laythe lander is the most unique I've seen in a while. Most are spaceplanes, but a floating platform is something I haven't seen in a while. Your Tylo rover was another feat of engineering. Did you circumnavigate Tylo? Also (how??) the amount of recovered science has shattered the last record of most recorded science by over 22.5 thousand science points. It is double the previous record.

This is amazing. Bravo! Bravo! Adding you to the leader board now. :D

Hey awesome thanks! And thanks a bunch for all the work you do maintaining this great challenge!

The floating platform was born out of my own laziness mostly ha ha. I've had major troubles landing planes on the rough rolling dunes before, and I find it impossible to hit the small islands reliably with a regular lander. Then, of course, once I built the floating platform my first attempt hit an island without me trying to! The side bonus of course, was being able to reuse the upper stage as my Tylo ascent stage, then the Vall/Bop/Pol lander. To save weight, I used the Jr docking ports. But made sure to adjust some of the Tylo lower stage tanks, and the support beams on the floating platform so that the little landing gear on the upper stage could be deployed and rest on them for additional support. It seemed to work well holding it together.

The rover was honestly more a feat of sheer patience than engineering. While it certainly felt like I was driving long enough to circumnavigate it, the actual distance traveled on Tylo by the rover was about 240 km or so. I landed on the equator north of the Tycho crater, landing in the Midlands, drove about 20 km southeast until I hit the Lowlands, then straight south through the Highlands, one of the Minor craters, and finally just to the northmost tip of the Tycho crater. After that, drove back north.

 

The only thing I can think of for the amount of science I managed to grab, is that I hit 5 biomes on Tylo, and another 4 on Laythe. Also, I grabbed two sets of some of the experiments when I could. So I brought home duplicates of the materials bay, mystery goo, and surface samples to max out their science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VOAx3dr.png

Finally starting !!! Sheep v3 Grand Tour...which some of you are probably hyped on, is in the beginning of its execution, also for @JacobJHC, where OBS recorded footages usually go ???

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRS said:

 OBS

How do you find using OBS?  It keeps telling me that it runs out of resources or something.  Even if I make OBS a "highest priority" on my processor tasks..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRS said:

VOAx3dr.png

Finally starting !!! Sheep v3 Grand Tour...which some of you are probably hyped on, is in the beginning of its execution, also for @JacobJHC, where OBS recorded footages usually go ???

You can set an OBS output folder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

You can set an OBS output folder.

...oops, i think i forgot something...

5 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

How do you find using OBS?  It keeps telling me that it runs out of resources or something.  Even if I make OBS a "highest priority" on my processor tasks..

 

It's a recording App, which i'm recently using, @Matt Lowne's fans thinked that OBS is very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.