The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

First off, forgive me if this is a repeat (I know managing threads can be like trying to have a conversation with the seagulls from Finding Nemo). I've skimmed through the thread but haven't found an answer to my question yet.

I want to know why B9 is banned. I understand that some addons can give an unfair advantage, but using B9 seems to only up the gameplay experience to me. I've been wanting to do this challenge for some time, but have also grown quite fond of procedural wings. Is there a way that I can make an entry using B9's procedural wings and not be disqualified?

16 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

If you post a picture I can determine if it violated the no-clip rules or not.

Here's what I have in mind for Laythe.

Spoiler

683687B31816F855D803DB4ECB85A7B6FE88A004

Most of my designs play a little fast and loose with tank clipping. I'd say they're never clipped in more than 50% of their volume, and only really ever for aesthetics

14 hours ago, dozerman said:

I want to know why B9 is banned. I understand that some addons can give an unfair advantage, but using B9 seems to only up the gameplay experience to me. I've been wanting to do this challenge for some time, but have also grown quite fond of procedural wings. Is there a way that I can make an entry using B9's procedural wings and not be disqualified?

I'm not in charge of this thread, but I will note that B9 Procedural Wings are a separate mod from B9 Aerospace. Only B9 Aerospace is explicitly banned, I assume due to OP engines (I've never used it).

14 minutes ago, Matrix Aran said:

Hide contents

Most of my designs play a little fast and loose with tank clipping. I'd say they're never clipped in more than 50% of their volume, and only really ever for aesthetics

My Laythe SSTO was quite a bit smaller:

DW3bnGs.png

3 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I'm not in charge of this thread, but I will note that B9 Procedural Wings are a separate mod from B9 Aerospace. Only B9 Aerospace is explicitly banned, I assume due to OP engines (I've never used it).

Excellent. I will assume this is the case. If it isn't, then I had fun anyways. 

18 hours ago, dozerman said:

B9 was banned for the futuristic sci-fi stuff and the giant parts. If you use the procedural wings from the mod only I'll accept it.

4 hours ago, Matrix Aran said:

Hide contents

Does the central fuel tank continue inside the double hull near the end?

37 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

Does the central fuel tank continue inside the double hull near the end?

Partially. Theres a monoprop tank burried in there, which follows after it, a bicoupler and two intercoolers. Again, its not clipped in more than 50% of its volume, but it does have to be clipped in to smooth out the contours of the hull (and I'm still not happy with it yet.)

Edited by Matrix Aran

On 3/16/2018 at 5:03 PM, JacobJHC said:

This challenge was continued with permission from the previous thread manager @sdj64

JNr4SKL.png

I mean I have the Jool 6 challenge already ready so I don't know how you are going to top that off (friendly competition)

Here is my Jool 5 mission I did in one of my career modes and made back all the money and got 8780.9 Science. I did have mechjeb but only for delta v readouts because i mainly use it more than Kerbal Engineer. But they were giving me different delta v readouts so one of them is obviously bugged, Probably mechjeb. Also i changed my graphics mods mid mission around the time i arrived at laythe becasue AVP was to laggy with all the parts and so i switched to spectra.

Edited by Jim123
Bad Spelling

Just now, Jim123 said:

Here is my Jool 5 mission I did in one of my career modes and made back all the money and got 8780.9 Science. I did have mechjeb but only for delta v readouts because i mainly use it more than Kerbal Engineer. But they were giving me different delta v readouts so one of them is obsivaly bugged, Probably mechjeb. Also i changed my graphics mods mid mission around the time i arrived at laythe becasue AVP was to laggy with all the parts and i switched to spectra.

I haven't even seen it yet but HOLY COW that's an amazing thumbnail. I'm going to make a tea and watch it.

16 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Here is my Jool 5 mission I did in one of my career modes and made back all the money and got 8780.9 Science. I did have mechjeb but only for delta v readouts because i mainly use it more than Kerbal Engineer. But they were giving me different delta v readouts so one of them is obviously bugged, Probably mechjeb. Also i changed my graphics mods mid mission around the time i arrived at laythe becasue AVP was to laggy with all the parts and so i switched to spectra.

Congratulations @Jim123 on completing the Jool 5 challenge! Out of curiosity, did a unique Kerbal land on each moon? If you did this will be scored for the Jeb's level, if not this will be scored on a level one.

Other than that, I liked the double service module return you did. I also thought your Tylo lander is one of the coolest looking I've seen. Great job!

3 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Congratulations @Jim123 on completing the Jool 5 challenge! Out of curiosity, did a unique Kerbal land on each moon? If you did this will be scored for the Jeb's level, if not this will be scored on a level one.

Other than that, I liked the double service module return you did. I also thought your Tylo lander is one of the coolest looking I've seen. Great job!

Thank you i think if i recall Jeb went to Laythe Vall On Tylo,Vall and Bob on Vall,Jeb and Bob on Bop And All 4 main kerbals Jeb,Bill,Bob and Vall landed on poll and a 5th Kerbal named Jane Kerman. Would it not count since bob already landed on Vall and so when he went to bop that wouldn't count?

2 hours ago, Jim123 said:

Thank you i think if i recall Jeb went to Laythe Vall On Tylo,Vall and Bob on Vall,Jeb and Bob on Bop And All 4 main kerbals Jeb,Bill,Bob and Vall landed on poll and a 5th Kerbal named Jane Kerman. Would it not count since bob already landed on Vall and so when he went to bop that wouldn't count?

As long as a different Kerbal was on a different moon at one point in the missino repeats don't matter. Congrats on a Jeb's level completion! Adding you to the leaderboard now.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but:

1. Can I place parachutes under the inflatable heat shied without that being considered clipping?

2. What does the command seats rule being crossed off mean? Can I use them to go interplanetary? Can I not use them at all?

14 hours ago, SpacePilotMax said:

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but:

1. Can I place parachutes under the inflatable heat shied without that being considered clipping?

2. What does the command seats rule being crossed off mean? Can I use them to go interplanetary? Can I not use them at all?

1. How do you mean? Could you post a screenshot? As long as the heat shield inflating doesn't go directly through them it should be fine.

2. The command seat rule being crossed off means it isn't currently in effect. You can use them however you want.

• 4 weeks later...

What did i miss...hmm...that's a lot of entries, i seriously need to think about stronger hardwares then start my Direct Ascent Jool 5, just did something harder than Ernus LOL.

Hey there ! :)

I'm posting my second attempt at this great challenge ! This time I'm only flying one single space shuttle, under 200t. with 2 Vectors and 2 Nukes !

Like my first attempt it is also linked to the SpaceShuttle Challenge which requires the deployement of a small outpost and an aircraft on Laythe.

First part : Launch, Capturing around Jool, Bop and Vall landings !

GjZbxz0.jpg

Second part : Bop and ... Tylo !

hSWyUbE.jpg

Last part will be posted in a few (Laythe deployement + Kerbin return)

As usual I took way too many screenshots, I hope you will enjoy this new ShOrPa Shuttle ! :)

22 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

As usual I took way too many screenshots, I hope you will enjoy this new ShOrPa Shuttle ! :)

Looks great so far! I'd like the post but I can't seem to find the button for it.

I performed a fully recoverd grand tour mission using ISRU.

The mission follows the spirit of this challenge but technically I did not fulfill rule 9 because Bill did not return home on the initial craft but stayed on the surface of Eve. But since there was a free empty seat on the upper stage I could have easily transfered Bill to this stage and bring him home and instead ditch the lower stage on Eve instead. It would not have made a difference from a gameplay perspective.

If you include the secondary mission I then brought back all Kerbins but I violated Rule 4 for a single launch.  Jeb returned home in between but only after all the landings of the grand tours have been completed.

I could have launched evering in a single launch and the additional stages would have made transfers even easier, but at the time of the launch I had not yet planned the orbital catching maneuver.

Does my entry still count?