The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

21 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I think that makes sense too. Maybe part of the reason he copied it was because It was absolutely amazing!

It is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  But I would not blame @JacobJHC for not being flattered, it really just looks like @GRS was taking a shortcut to a solution.  It's hard to feel chuffed by someone else's laziness.  Is it a learning experience?  Sure, we all did a bit of craft copying when we were learning the game.  But when you are engaging in a challenge?  This competitive challenge is something many of us take time, effort and pride in.  @GRSyou have been called out as an obvious plagiarist.  Don't expect any respect from your peers.  Perhaps that's the relevant learning experience here.

Edited by jinnantonix

Whatever...time to do it again...i guess...so...the only flaw is the way it looks...shouldn't be too hard...i hope i can start once once the test is over...(around 10th December) uninterrupted...

Consider my entry:

vs. its inspiration, by @McBalsam from the previous edition of the challenge:

I could have simply taken McBalsam's craft and made some cosmetic changes (especially since he posted it on KerbalX!). But instead, I took it apart in the SPH, studied the techniques, and built my own craft. There are obviously some similarities, but honestly his is just better - it's smaller, sleeker, and more efficient. I am pretty proud of mine though, especially the Laythe SSTO.

DgM1132.png

Fine...@JacobJHC...

What do you expect me to change ? Judging your reactions...i feel like i have to restart the designing and change some parts...then relaunching the whole thing...i don't know what should i change as you didn't mention the landers...

On 11/30/2019 at 7:31 AM, QF9E said:

I'm in the final stages of writing a mission report for my Jool-5 mission, see: 

Imgur is acting up at the moment, so I haven't finished the last part of the mission report (the Pol landing and the return to Kerbin) but I hope to be able to upload the final 30 pictures or so shortly.

@JacobJHC I'd like to invite you to review my misison when you have the time. I hope everything is clear, but if you have questions please ask. 

One final note: I forgot to disable Hyperedit and Vessel Mover for the launch into LKO. I hope that the detailed mission report I have provided of the launch will convince you that I did not cheat ;). I disabled these mods as soon as I realized I still had them running, so you will not see them for the remainder of the mission. 

@jost: I've been having difficulties with imgur as well. To me it looks like they are in the process of updating their site code and it is not going according to plan... Hopefully they'll sort it out soon.

Congratulations on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on level 2! I liked the robustness of your lander, but was the most impressed by the extra-mile you put in by recovering the lander from Kerbin orbit. Another thing to note, adding the separate imgur albums for more technical screenshots was extremely useful. (Also that launch stage was pretty epic looking.) Adding you to the leaderboard now!

I completed (again) on HARD MODE (again) but this time, I live streamed it to Facebook (~5 hours long) KSP group.
despite several unexpected interruptions from my family, dogs and a crash landing on Vall, I succeeded anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/100009261702728/videos/2462021554116544/

UPDATE: Hindsight, the KSP facebook group is a private group, so unless you're a member you won't be able to see the video, so I snagged the MP4 url and uploaded it to YouTube instead.

-

Edited by Xyphos

On 12/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Xyphos said:

I completed (again) on HARD MODE (again) but this time, I live streamed it to Facebook (~5 hours long) KSP group.
despite several unexpected interruptions from my family, dogs and a crash landing on Vall, I succeeded anyway.

UPDATE: Hindsight, the KSP facebook group is a private group, so unless you're a member you won't be able to see the video, so I snagged the MP4 url and uploaded it to YouTube instead.

Could you please list the mods you used during the video.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:02 PM, GRS said:

Fine...@JacobJHC...

What do you expect me to change ? Judging your reactions...i feel like i have to restart the designing and change some parts...then relaunching the whole thing...i don't know what should i change as you didn't mention the landers...

I woudn't restart just to change some parts. I'm not @JacobJHC but a copy with some exchanged parts it's still a copy for me :)

Think about what you want to achieve. A ultimate mission with minimum part count and/or delta v? With or without ISRU? With minimum time/maximum science etc?  Should the missions split in Kerbin orbit (e.G. one dedicated submission for Eve and Moho, one for the outer planets?) 

Afterwards design the optimal machine for your mission and have fun :) 

I want a big mission, No ISRU (as usual), not so big (That's why i used Ions), Highly capable, high Delta V but not sluggish, capable of carrying 5 Kerbals during the whole trip...with at least 42 Landings...

On 12/12/2019 at 3:43 PM, Xyphos said:

I am trying to figure out which mod provides the "Suicide Burn" read out.

I was curious if the part clipping rule is included for the lifting vehicles for the assembly or for empty fuel tanks, I’m planning on doing something fairly extra and unnecessary and the crafts have clipped tanks with fuel drained out of them so they look a different diameter than what is achievable with stock parts

Edited by Fraus

On 12/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, jost said:

I woudn't restart just to change some parts. I'm not @JacobJHC but a copy with some exchanged parts it's still a copy for me :)

Think about what you want to achieve. A ultimate mission with minimum part count and/or delta v? With or without ISRU? With minimum time/maximum science etc?  Should the missions split in Kerbin orbit (e.G. one dedicated submission for Eve and Moho, one for the outer planets?) 

Afterwards design the optimal machine for your mission and have fun :) 

@GRS He is correct, a copy with some exchanged parts is still a copy. Your mission needs a design that is yours entirely. I recommend his advice.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:43 PM, Xyphos said:

-

Since this is a long video, it will take a while to sift through it even if I use double speed. Do you think you could reply to this post with time stamps for major parts of the mission? (Like launch at X:XX or Tylo landing at X:XX)

On 12/19/2019 at 9:56 PM, Fraus said:

I was curious if the part clipping rule is included for the lifting vehicles for the assembly or for empty fuel tanks, I’m planning on doing something fairly extra and unnecessary and the crafts have clipped tanks with fuel drained out of them so they look a different diameter than what is achievable with stock parts

As long as the fuel tanks remain empty, they can be clipped further than usual.

...now what ? I literally don't know what to do now...i might have no time in my Holiday because I'm going to stay away from my hometown for pretty much an entire holiday...i have no other choice but a super hurried planning and mission simply because i have only 3 Months full of testing in School and finding a good college and live a good live...not sure if i can even have freetime once in a college, i can't even imagine...whatever...just wait for me to come back...

On 12/22/2019 at 9:35 PM, JacobJHC said:

Since this is a long video, it will take a while to sift through it even if I use double speed. Do you think you could reply to this post with time stamps for major parts of the mission? (Like launch at X:XX or Tylo landing at X:XX)

In hindsight my own report is quite big too (around 140 images: https://imgur.com/a/MuS2Bxf? Should I  do a highlights album (just containings delta v readouts, before landing, during ground operations and after redocking)?

On 12/27/2019 at 4:02 PM, jost said:

In hindsight my own report is quite big too (around 140 images: https://imgur.com/a/MuS2Bxf? Should I  do a highlights album (just containings delta v readouts, before landing, during ground operations and after redocking)?

If you wouldn't mind, that would be much appreciated!

On 1/1/2020 at 6:09 PM, JacobJHC said:

If you wouldn't mind, that would be much appreciated!

No problem. I have another problem though: Since Kerpollo doesn't need to have the resource tab open when KER delta v display is present I actually have no screenshot with resources tab open at all. The delta-v readouts can be seen though.
Since the rule is quite clear I guess I'm disqualified ain't I?

If not: What parts are interesting? My guess is delta v before after each step (landing, launch, rendevouz, transfers), right?

Regards, Jost