The Ultimate Jool 5 Challenge Continued

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2018 at 7:03 PM, JacobJHC said:

3RD LEVEL: There's not enough time left for training one crew member to be an expert on all of the moons, so five Kerbonauts must go to the mission, with at least one unique Kerbonaut landing on each moon.

Are we allowed to send more than 5 Kerbals, having landers with 2 seats, and landing 6 Kerbals in total on the Moons, having 1 Unique kerbal on each landing and the other seat being occupied by the same kerbal for all the landings?

On 6/20/2022 at 8:45 PM, Kerb24 said:

Are we allowed to send more than 5 Kerbals, having landers with 2 seats, and landing 6 Kerbals in total on the Moons, having 1 Unique kerbal on each landing and the other seat being occupied by the same kerbal for all the landings?

Yes!

On 6/22/2022 at 9:30 AM, imcute said:

i already built a grand tour craft incapable to land on eve and only weighs 0.365 tons

there is a vid about this but idk how to publish it(NOT on youtube)

I would recommend youtube but if you're deadset on not putting it on a website you could always put a google drive link I suppose

Lt_Duckweed created an SSTA and I used it to do a single stage grand tour mission that includes Eve (with his permission). It includes the Jool five mission, but sadly I wasn't able to plant a flag on Tylo due to lack of ladder.

I'll post it here anyway just for those who are interested.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:09 PM, Alpaca Z said:

Lt_Duckweed created an SSTA and I used it to do a single stage grand tour mission that includes Eve (with his permission). It includes the Jool five mission, but sadly I wasn't able to plant a flag on Tylo due to lack of ladder.

Will watch tomorrow!

On 6/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, Alpaca Z said:

Congratulations @Alpaca Z on completing the Jool 5 challenge on the second level! Your submission video is nicely choreographed, nicely edited together, and the music choice works in its favor as well. Overall a very well made YouTube video. As for the mission itself, it was flown very simply. I am impressed in your 15 year mission time. In regards to the Jool 5, I found your Laythe ascent interesting, and I found your strategy of rebuilding the craft in low Tylo orbit to be most amusing and very Kerbal! Since you said that @Lt_Duckweedallowed you to use the craft, it only seems fair to honorarily include him in the hall of fame entry. Congratulations again!

I hate to be the party pooper. And don't get me wrong, Alpaca Z's video is mighty impressive (as is Lt.Duckweed's craft). But the submission clearly breaks Rule 7 on Tylo landing because due to landing approach no kerbal could leave the craft and then climb back into it again. I'm afraid you'll have to knock it down to Honourable Mentions @JacobJHC

15 hours ago, OJT said:

I hate to be the party pooper. And don't get me wrong, Alpaca Z's video is mighty impressive (as is Lt.Duckweed's craft). But the submission clearly breaks Rule 7 on Tylo landing because due to landing approach no kerbal could leave the craft and then climb back into it again. I'm afraid you'll have to knock it down to Honourable Mentions @JacobJHC

This is what I get for reviewing submissions while sleep deprived. Thanks for catching this @OJT.

@Alpaca Z sorry about that, but OJT's correct and your crew did not walk on Tylo's surface, meaning I must move it to Honourable Mentions.

39 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

This is what I get for reviewing submissions while sleep deprived. Thanks for catching this @OJT.

@Alpaca Z sorry about that, but OJT's correct and your crew did not walk on Tylo's surface, meaning I must move it to Honourable Mentions.

That is totally OK. I mentioned that in my post "... but sadly I wasn't able to plant a flag on Tylo due to lack of ladder" so I understood it does not satisfy all the rules.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm throwing this one in the ring... not sure about the rules but I decided to do it anyway. I used Principia. I just searched this topic and "Principia" has no hits. Nobody even mentioned it? Well here it is...

SSTO reusable rocket-lander called "2 by 4", with ISRU and crew of 5.

Used KSP 1.12.3. I have many QOL and visual mods but no part mods. Besides Principia I used FAR. (FAR was a nuisance anyway because parachutes deployed early and failed.)

Album here with a couple video links in the captions

ka3ZnE9.png

On 8/19/2022 at 2:49 AM, Krazy1 said:

So, I'm throwing this one in the ring... not sure about the rules but I decided to do it anyway. I used Principia. I just searched this topic and "Principia" has no hits. Nobody even mentioned it? Well here it is...

SSTO reusable rocket-lander called "2 by 4", with ISRU and crew of 5.

Used KSP 1.12.3. I have many QOL and visual mods but no part mods. Besides Principia I used FAR. (FAR was a nuisance anyway because parachutes deployed early and failed.)

Album here with a couple video links in the captions

ka3ZnE9.png

Congratulations @Krazy1 on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on the 3rd Level! I don't recall if I've seen a principia submission before, but I can say that the 2 by 4 is an impressive craft! (especially its Tylo capabilities, it's usually pretty difficult to make SSTOs to everywhere handle Tylo). I'll add your submission to the leaderboard now, but also want to say that your album was very well organized and was easy to read. Congrats!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I didn't know when to stop I guess and I have another level 3 submission. I made another SSTO rocket about 1/2 the size of 2 by 4. I followed a somewhat more difficult moon sequence and used Principia again.

Encore 242: Recoverable SSTO rocket. 2 Mastodons, 4 Darts, 2 NERVs. 5 crew and full size ISRU. Under 250 tons at launch. Used Simple Fuel Switch to change some tanks to LF.

Album with captions

I'll post the ship on KerbalX - link in signature.

avg6fPG.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 6:43 PM, Krazy1 said:

Well, I didn't know when to stop I guess and I have another level 3 submission. I made another SSTO rocket about 1/2 the size of 2 by 4. I followed a somewhat more difficult moon sequence and used Principia again.

Encore 242: Recoverable SSTO rocket. 2 Mastodons, 4 Darts, 2 NERVs. 5 crew and full size ISRU. Under 250 tons at launch. Used Simple Fuel Switch to change some tanks to LF.

Album with captions

I'll post the ship on KerbalX - link in signature.

avg6fPG.png

Congratulations @Krazy1 on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on Level 3! I like the refined look of this craft, along with its orange/gray color scheme! As usual, your album was well put together, and I enjoyed watching the Tylo landing. Adding you to the leaderboards now :) 

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I am therefore about to go off to Jool, and I will do a Jool-5...but it will be unmanned.

Actually, an unmanned Jool 5 run would itself be quite a challenge.  With no engineers to repair things, reconfigure ships on the fly, and operate ISRU equipment, doing an unmanned Jool 5 will require a lot of planning.  Especially if you plan on returning to Kerbin with your acquired science- instead of transmitting it like I probably would.

2 hours ago, 18Watt said:

Actually, an unmanned Jool 5 run would itself be quite a challenge.  With no engineers to repair things, reconfigure ships on the fly, and operate ISRU equipment, doing an unmanned Jool 5 will require a lot of planning.  Especially if you plan on returning to Kerbin with your acquired science- instead of transmitting it like I probably would.

Yeah, my plan is to return to Kerbin with the science.  I might have to assemble a ship in orbit of Kerbin first as I'll need multiple landers and a boatload of fuel.  But science!

20 hours ago, 18Watt said:

That assumes that things break, or that you've failed to design a ship that doesn't require reconfiguration (or requires more than docking and undocking), or that your mission requires ISRU

My Jool 5 run, linked in my sig, is in most ways trivial to run unmanned.   (In some ways easier, because I could get rid of the weight of the kerbaled components.) There's nothing to break, nothing that requires reconfiguration, and it doesn't rely on ISRU.  I'd have to add some Experiment Storage units, but off hand that would be the only change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2022 at 1:23 AM, 18Watt said:

Well you can run ISRU unmanned it just takes awfully long. However you don't have to take life support or things like this (if you play with LS mods, I do) in account so I would say the negative sides outweight the negatives. Plus the fact that an unmanned mission will need a lot less weight (at least if you don't want to use the chair for kerbals) and you can easily build a lander which will be enough for Pol, Bop and Val. 
So unmanned Jool5 will still be a challenge but still a lot easier than manned.

1 hour ago, JacobJHC said:

Personally I feel that an unkrewed Jool 5 wouldn't complete the challenge in spirit. One of the most important parts of a Jool 5 is stepping or swimming on all 5 moons.

As I mentioned previously, I was going to attempt this because of the challenge I'm currently trying to complete.  And I even stated it probably wouldn't count.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 1:52 AM, camacju said:

grand tour but also jool 5

Congratulations @camacju on completing the Jool 5 Challenge on the 1st level! This is genuinely one of the most impressive KSP missions I've seen, the sheer optimization shown is mind boggling, especially with your admittance that you could have shaved more weight off but chose not to. This is without a doubt a record breaker. Have you considered snapping a screenshot of the craft next to a single mammoth engine? It'd be cool to see the craft next to the engine you used as a mass goal. Adding you to the leaderboard now!