Get a satellite into orbit, and return.

screenshot27.png

Here's KSP's next big challenge, Kerbalnauts!

Now that we have the technology to send you careening off into space, the gov't has requested that we get some satellites into orbit. The advantages are obvious: atmosphere-free observation, spy capabilities against our that other country, or light speed communication, so that we can alert your relatives faster of any deaths in the family.

Anyways, where YOU come in is this. Ever since that accident with the Kubble telescope, we've been asked to send satellites up with a Kerbal crew, as we expect there's a 90% chance of satellite malfunction. So get that satellite into orbit, check to make sure that it's operational, then detach it and deorbit to a (hopefully) safe landing.

--------

Here are the rules:

• [li]You MUST get a satellite into a circular-esque orbit (The CommSat mod or one of the satellites in Silisko's parts pack work pretty well).[/li]
    [li]The satellite must remain in orbit without anything attached.[/li]
    [li]Try to use mods within reason, not cfg. modded engines with 1000 thrust and 1 fuel consumption, for instance (Silisko and SundayPunch's packs are nicely balanced)[/li]
    [li]Log your attempts in this thread.[/li]

Happy Launching!

It`s hard to keep your satellite intact, which is why I ended up using the low ejection force disconnectors in silisko`s pack.

Here`s my Titan IV model that got me there, complete with payload bay:

screenshot8.png

And the payload itself, the satellite at the bottom, followed by the Service Module, and finally the capsule with a parachute

screenshot7-1.png

I actually did this yesterday before seeing this challenge. The biggest problem I had was keeping track of the satellite to prove it was going into a stable orbit, but seeing as it separated in front of my command module, with about +10 m/s, and the capsule was in good orbit, I'll take it as a win.

I'll warn you now - I take massive pleasure in over-engineering things :D

Takeoff. All-liquid build as the height made it a little unstable for SRBs. Throttle control was necessary to stop the join at the satellite in the upper stage breaking.

Orbitertakeoff.jpg

Reorientation of Stage 3 ready for orbital insertion after Stage 1 and 2 burn and separation. Cowling jettisoned.

OrbiterStage2.jpg

Reversal of attitude and jettison of payload into a fairly circular stable(ish) orbit at 140 +/- 2.5km

OrbiterSeparation.jpg

Command module halfway through orbit. Nice stable altitude.

Orbiterdarkside.jpg

Deorbit

Orbiterdeorbit.jpg

Landing. I assume the satellite is still merrily chucking around at about 140km :D

Orbiterlanding.jpg

Ok heres my attempt at doing this. im fairly confident in this desgin ive made, it can normally get me into orbit with a tank and 3/4 to spare. because of this. im going to get fancy and do a 15 degree plane change and aim to put the satellite into orbit at a height of about 70,000m

pic one is my rocket. not using any fancy covers as they are heavy and often wobble . . .

almost didnt make orbit, start losing altitude at 45,000m or so. recovered however with a tank and a bit to spare.

took my spacecraft up to 69500m (close enougth), picture 3 shows me doing a plane change.

released Satellite, followed it for a while . . . which is really hard!

mission accomplised :)

Forgot to take screenshots of the whole mission, but here it is around 48 mins in or so. Orbit is pretty stable around 170km. ;D

Sorry for the screenshot crop fail.

SatOrbit.jpg

Edited to add new pics:

'Intrepid' on the launchpad:

Intrepid.jpg

At least the Kerbacopters won't have to fly too far to get the brave crew:

SpaceCenterAppr2.jpg

I set my goal at 1200km with an e < .001. My end result was e = .0007. (This was my arbitrary declaration that Kerbal will rotate once every 2.4 hours.)

I made the mission into a little story.

dZ7KC.jpg

The next goal is 9200 km e <.001, (That should be where a moon is, if there are 28 kerbal days per orbit) although I will have to use cheat engine to get there in less than 10 hours. I'm not quite that hardcore. I suspect the story will revolve around sending kerbalnauts up to where scientists THINK a moon should be, and finding our that, 'There's no moon!' OR maybe that it's made of black construction paper or something. :)

I didn't take any pictures :( but was able to get into a stable 50km orbit with 2330m/s speed and deliver my satellite. I'm trying to find better mods for created enclosed bays for hiding my satellite... any suggestions?

I will try to take a video of it tonight to have posted proof of orbit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.