[1.9.x] Structural Tubing Restructured

linuxgurugamer

Placeholder for new release in progress

A forum user, @DrunkenKerbalnaut, made this wonderful set of structural tubing with many switchable textures.

He hasn't been around since November, 2016, someone mentioned he had been injured. 

The original thread is here:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152597-12x-structural-tubing/

I've updated it for KSP 1.4.1, replacing the old FireSpitter texture switching code with the new stock texture switches.

DK Salvage is proud to present

Structural Tubing.

This mod adds a few structural components for ruggedizing your various crafts.

HBV2DqF.jpg

bcGwxT1.png

Spoiler

AgZ94ug.jpg

Spoiler

8s8C2VS.jpg

Spoiler

A2QRAOE.jpg

Spoiler

Ct4najr.jpg

Download Link:

Available via CKAN

Features:

• 24 different tube sections, etc.
  • Stock Texture Switch support. 
  • Tweakscale support. 
  • Agency and Flag. 

KottabosGames Review of v1.0:

License: I've changed the license from the original as permitted.  It's still very open

Credit:

@SpannerMonkey(smce) for modeling, making sweet rovers, and including FSTextureSwitch support. He did pretty much all the important stuff, really. 

@BureauJaeger for the addition of new textures for Firespitter users. The USI-alike one is my new fave. 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I haven't even installed it yet, (I'm about to) but i can already tell that this is a permanent addition to my mod list. My friends are always requesting various ships from sci-fi, and I've been missing this exact thing for detail/structural. I'm just starting to think about all the uses I'm going to put these babies to.. epic stuff!! Thanks a quadrillion! (goes without saying, but thanks for ALL the other mods you've been holding down too!)

Just an FYI:

The OP mentions the original post, with the original version. Its a 1.2.1 version,  on the creator's dropbox. I tested it and it works just fine with 1.3.

I mention this since I am (and presumably,  lots of other people) still playing my heavily-modded 1.3.1, which took some effort to mod to perfection,  whike  waiting for the 1.4 dust to settle a bit.

Of course @linuxgurugamer,  I am also running a 1.4 testbed and your 1.4 recompile works like a charm there too. Many thanks!

An example on what you can do with those structural tubes. 

They are fully attachable, and with tweakscale, there's not limit on how and where you can use them. They are pretty light too. 

BTW, I use F.A.R., and those who use it know that it makes aircraft design that much harder. Drag is more dramatic, lift is less abundant, engines provide less power (proportionally to all else, that is. The part's specs remain the same). So weight-saving measures are necessary: those two crappy planes you see there barely lift the ground, given their underpowered engines. The first stalls at 50m/s or so, but has a top speed of 70m/s. So the structural tubings were not purely a cosmetic issue: with other parts, those planes would have been heavier and the design would not have worked. 

bcGwxT1.pngNVakKeb.pngeihaUmL.pngt6BfrGa.png

Edited by Daniel Prates

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I love this stuff, I couldn't find a suitable Drop Frame to land the paylods on so i made this, if you have KIS installed Jeb can EVA and disassemble the frame it also floats

That's really cool. Is that a smart-part for the parachute deploy timer?

Thank you for the KIS hint -- that makes creating these types of structures with the *intent* of disassembling them make total sense.

Yep smart part to deploy the drogue chutes at set altitude and another one to deploy main chute and cut the drogues and ditch the heat shield. The batteries dont really last so consider RTG  one of the cool things I found is it floats so if it goes pear shaped you can salvage it.

Edited by Virtualgenius

• 2 weeks later...

Is it intended operation that not all of the attachment nodes actually attach to each other, or do I have a bug?

I think I'm just dealing with the finicky-ness of attachment nodes, don't worry about it.

Edited by Tahvohck

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, EstebanLB said:

@linuxgurugamer
DrunkenKerbalnaut got the lenghts wrong for some of the straight parts, there is an extra cero on the 250cm, 300cm and 500cm. They should be 25cm, 30cm and 50cm respectively

Thank you.

I'm going to change it to be mm instead of cm, which will fix the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.