Acapello 15 mission gets stuck in limbo if you splash instead of land

Dunbaratu

The Acapello 15 mission is neither completed nor failed if you splashdown on Kerbin instead of land on ground.  If you finish the mission in water, the "splashed down" node does not lead to a "mission complete" or mission fail node.  Instead it leads (for some reason) to a 5 minute timer node.

At this point the player has no idea what's going on.  There's no message, and if you recover vessel, the KSC is all disabled and nothing works.

Either splashing down should be a fail or a success but it shouldn't leave the mission stuck in limbo.

That 5 min waiting node is an endnode so it should end the mission as well. I wonder why it's there in the first place. At least they should tell you to wait for rescue or something. I sadly did recover my vessel after nothing happend so I cant tell if it would really work. I may try that again later.

Tested it and it works in every case for me, you just have to wait 5min after splashdown for whatever reason. Funny thing in my retry was that it misstook my orbiter for my lander so I had to land with my orbiter at every location, lets just say the Wolfhound isn't a good landing gear.

Why??? Why on earth make you wait (or time warp) 5 minutes to get the end score?? When nothing *tells* you to wait 5 minutes, of course the player is going to think something broke or the mission failed.

The thing that seems universally wrong with *all* the Making History missions is that the text the player is shown is a complete pack of lies.  It's as if the text was written first, then the mission was designed and didn't match the text, and the text never got re-written at the end to match the mission.  That's a fatal problem that is causing many players to call the DLC missions broken and buggy.  And I can't blame them - how are they supposed to know the mission is correct but the person who wrote the descriptions was lying to them?

9 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

The thing that seems universally wrong with *all* the Making History missions is that the text the player is shown is a complete pack of lies.  It's as if the text was written first, then the mission was designed and didn't match the text, and the text never got re-written at the end to match the mission.  That's a fatal problem that is causing many players to call the DLC missions broken and buggy.  And I can't blame them - how are they supposed to know the mission is correct but the person who wrote the descriptions was lying to them?

A bit blunt but I can relate to your criticism. I expected historic mission, like the first flight of Gagarin (especially with those sweet 1.4 chutes), Apollo 11+13 and whatnot so I'm a bit disappointed in that regard. The overall quality of the missions is poor. Full of bad information, evil and unneccesary inclination changes to kill my efficience driven playstile and bugs or bad set conditions. I really expected better missions from the people who developed the mission builder but still have hope for it, there is a lot of potential. But I'll wait for the next iteration before I seriously build any missions.

9 hours ago, Hurzelgnurk said:

A bit blunt but I can relate to your criticism. I expected historic mission, like the first flight of Gagarin (especially with those sweet 1.4 chutes), Apollo 11+13 and whatnot so I'm a bit disappointed in that regard. The overall quality of the missions is poor. Full of bad information, evil and unneccesary inclination changes to kill my efficience driven playstile and bugs or bad set conditions. I really expected better missions from the people who developed the mission builder but still have hope for it, there is a lot of potential. But I'll wait for the next iteration before I seriously build any missions.

I also assumed the parachutes were going to be for doing the Gagarin mission.  I was surprised they didn't have that in the historical missions pack after putting in all the work to implement the chutes.  They also have no Duna or Eve missions.  So none of those early probe missions.  I strongly suspect they spent all their effort on the mission maker itself and then didn't have time to use it to make many missions but were forced to release on schedule anyway.  In the old days, SQUAD would never promise a release date ahead of time, so they wouldn't be stuck being forced to release when they knew it wasn't done.  But under Take 2, they seem to be a lot more beholden to the schedule, whether the product is working or not.

• 5 years later...

It seems the Mission Builder has an undocumented feature.  For nodes with a 'Vessel' selection, some have ">>Acepello" which I assume means any large enough sub part of the original vessel.  That might work well for smaller craft, but not the Saturn V.  The command module doesn't trigger landing or splashdown.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.