Hi guys,

My game worked for a while after the new DLC was installed. Now KSP won't start in 64bit mode. I'm getting a black screen with a half filled loading bar without any text. I tried running in Admin mode, changed resolution, windowed mode, updated my drivers, changed other graphics settings without any change. The game launches properly in 32bit. But it also CTD when I load anything.

Thanks in advance for the help..

Hi @Sharon A K, and welcome to the forums!  :)

1 hour ago, Sharon A K said:

I couldn't find anything on the help pages. That's why I posted here.

I think what @JPLRepo was trying to suggest, in his gentle way, was this:

"Hi, it's hard for anyone to help you if we don't know any of the necessary technical details about your problem, and you haven't given us what we need in order to be able to help you.  So please provide us more information.  Here's a helpful link to the page that explains how you need to ask us and what information to provide in order to get help."

The issue is that computer programs (such as KSP) are great big complicated things, so that when they break, there are literally thousands of possible reasons that could be causing it, and nobody can help you unless you provide information so they can diagnose which thing it is that's causing the problem.

It's kind of like, imagine if you walked into an auto mechanic's shop, without your car, and said "Hi, my car won't run, what's the problem?"  They're not gonna be able to help unless they can look at the car.  "My car's broken" simply isn't enough info for them to go on.  :wink:

@Snark I'm sorry. I do  understand how troubleshooting works. The thing is, I don't have much to go on here. I was expecting a reply from somebody who might have the same issue or someone who found a fix. Game doesn't crash. It just sits there with a black screen, a yellow loading bar half filled and frozen with no text. Game itself is not frozen as it does respond to Alt+Enter. I tried the logs in AppData location and didn't find anything to suggest a problem. I can provide screenshot, but that won't show anything really. As I said, this particular issue is only for 64bit exe.

My system is an i7, 12gb or RAM, Nvidia 1060GT 6GB, Windows 10 64bit. Game is unmoded and installed about a week ago. Ran without any issue for 3 days. Game was also closed properly last time. I'm going to do a reinstall and see what happens. I'll let you know if the issue returns.

Edited by Sharon A K

Thanks for the clarifying info!

You mention "logs in AppData location", but not sure what you mean-- do you mean some standard Windows location for application logs?  Because if you do, that's not where KSP puts its log files.  Have you looked at the KSP.log file in the KSP folder itself?

1 hour ago, Snark said:

You mention "logs in AppData location", but not sure what you mean-- do you mean some standard Windows location for application logs?  Because if you do, that's not where KSP puts its log files.  Have you looked at the KSP.log file in the KSP folder itself?

KSP now puts it's output_log file into AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program - that's probably what she meant.

Actually helpful post: I just saw over on this thread that the problems with Windows Defender randomly quarantining KSP and/or mods that reference KSP are causing the same symptoms if you don't notice it.

Edited by severedsolo

5 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

KSP now puts it's output_log file into AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

It does?  Well, that seems like an... unfortunate choice, at least on the surface.

<rant>
"Here, let's take a vital piece of diagnostic information that's been located in one standard, easy-to-find spot for over half a decade, that fits with the standard KSP model of 'all the files go in the installed folder', and completely break that by moving it outside the folder to a place that's hidden by default and which KSP players aren't trained to look".
I assume that there must be some reason why they did that, it's just that off the top of my head I'm having trouble thinking of one.
</rant>

Anyway, good to know-- thanks for pointing out!

• 1 month later...

Similar issue here, since Windows 10 installed creation kit and GeForce drivers updated I've had KSP and several other games experiencing issues.  KSP starts normally but when you reach the main menu you can't see anything (Black screen) but can hear the music playing.  Tried mutliple things to sort it even driver roll back didn't work... time for a techie to take a look me thinks. 

Edited by RogueWraith909

• 10 months later...
On 4/20/2018 at 4:24 AM, RogueWraith909 said:

Similar issue here, since Windows 10 installed creation kit and GeForce drivers updated I've had KSP and several other games experiencing issues.  KSP starts normally but when you reach the main menu you can't see anything (Black screen) but can hear the music playing.  Tried mutliple things to sort it even driver roll back didn't work... time for a techie to take a look me thinks. 

Did you ever get it worked out? I’m having the same issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, Spike88 said:

Did you ever get it worked out? I’m having the same issue. 

Yep... laptop got screwed up by a microfail update which caused several games to have the same issue.  got win 8 installed by experts and no issues since.  :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.