A Rescuer's Worst Nightmare!

A Rescuer's Worst Nightmare!

It isn't looking so good at the moment for the Kerbal Space Program;

Their second science mission to the mun has gone poorly, Val has crashed far away from home, with no hope of getting back.

Meanwhile at the Woomerang Launch Site, they are on the verge of going bankrupt. Their Contractor for the mission, Jebediah's Junkyard And Spaceship Parts Co. has denied full payment for the mission until Val gets back. They also haven't refurbished the launch pad, making it unstable for loads more than 100 tons in mass.

Out of money, and with a damaged launch pad, it is up to you to save Val! We are counting on you!

Album zfOZX1O.jpg

Now outside of this little story, this is my first Mission submission to the KSP Forums, for what I'm sure will be many! This is also my first of a pack of somewhat difficult missions that I will work on and release over the coming weeks so stay tuned for that! This mission tasks you with rescuing Val limited to only 50,000 funds, and 100 tons total. While that may sound relatively easy at first, there is a lot more in the way that I won't spoil here.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy, and feel free to leave any comments, as any feedback will most certainly help!

EDIT: Hey Everyone!  To my surprise, this post got way more attention than I thought it would, and people pointed out a lot of flaws with the mission! I have greatly appreciated the feedback this post has received, and I am posting this update to let everyone know that, sadly, this mission will no longer be accessible. I have a much larger project that I have been working hard on, and I appreciate all the people who came in to give me feedback on my first mission, thank you all!

Edited by Gaming Kraken

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! I've been messing around with prototypes for a good 3 days now so I'm glad I finally have had the opportunity to post this, been up since 1 o'clock messing around with the editor.

Edited by Gaming Kraken

So first the issue. I think I understand what happened. From the looks of it after you repaired it after EVA, what happens is the game is it runs a check to see if you repaired the engine, then it runs 2 blocks in the mission builder. I've got a fix, so don't worry about it, I'll update it tomorrow.

Now for you @Z4ys, I am going to post a small patch tomorrow, that will include fixes to your problem and @Judicious Use of Boosters 's problem.

Thanks for the great feedback! It helps tremendously and will have an effect on the future missions I will make!

I had several problems.

Spoiler

1st try: no engineer..

2nd try: had an engineer but got out and fixed the engine without pressing ok and he didnt count it, exploded after 2 min though

3rd try: couldnt get it to find ignition key, got a surface sample with every kerbal there but no "luck".

As a bit further feedback: I hate those darn inclination changes, didnt pre Mission builder. Now everybody lets you start from the high inclination launchsite just to get into an equatorial orbit, to get somewhere into an equatorial orbit again just to change inclination again because it was stupid to enter that orbit in the first place. That is rather a test of my patience than my skill. But I liked the prestory and overall style of you mission.

1 hour ago, Hurzelgnurk said:

I had several problems.

Hide contents

1st try: no engineer..

2nd try: had an engineer but got out and fixed the engine without pressing ok and he didnt count it, exploded after 2 min though

3rd try: couldnt get it to find ignition key, got a surface sample with every kerbal there but no "luck".

As a bit further feedback: I hate those darn inclination changes, didnt pre Mission builder. Now everybody lets you start from the high inclination launchsite just to get into an equatorial orbit, to get somewhere into an equatorial orbit again just to change inclination again because it was stupid to enter that orbit in the first place. That is rather a test of my patience than my skill. But I liked the prestory and overall style of you mission.

Thanks for the feedback! I just updated it with a 'nerfed' version that is much easier than the original. Now it doesn't check for inclination changes, another thing, those two issues have now also been fixed. Thanks again for the help!

35 minutes ago, Gaming Kraken said:

Thanks for the feedback! I just updated it with a 'nerfed' version that is much easier than the original. Now it doesn't check for inclination changes, another thing, those two issues have now also been fixed. Thanks again for the help!

You are welcome, thanks for building a mission. Dont get me wrong I like a good challenge but an inclination change is no challenge but a deltav requirement :wink:

So I finished this mission but I didn't get credit. I went and checked the mission design and I think I found your bug. I am surprised you say its "fixed" when (if I am right) this would fail 100% for all users of the mission. I am new to this mission builder (I dont plan to use it, just to play people's missions) but I am a programmer by trade... anyway...

After I rescued the girl and:

Spoiler

I EVA'd and got the surface sample it didn't trigger the next mission progress. I tried getting multiple samples with multiple kerbals and no luck.

So I checked your node, it looks like you do an EVA check, but its set to "Kerbin" not "Mun"... ? If I am reading this right, the mission is impossible to finish until you fix that :)

Check you "Kerbal EVA" node after the part failure on Mun. The "Celestial body" is set to Kerbin...

4 hours ago, Crusruss said:

So I finished this mission but I didn't get credit. I went and checked the mission design and I think I found your bug. I am surprised you say its "fixed" when (if I am right) this would fail 100% for all users of the mission. I am new to this mission builder (I dont plan to use it, just to play people's missions) but I am a programmer by trade... anyway...

Hide contents

I EVA'd and got the surface sample it didn't trigger the next mission progress. I tried getting multiple samples with multiple kerbals and no luck.

So I checked your node, it looks like you do an EVA check, but its set to "Kerbin" not "Mun"... ? If I am reading this right, the mission is impossible to finish until you fix that :)

Check you "Kerbal EVA" node after the part failure on Mun. The "Celestial body" is set to Kerbin...

Thanks for checking, after this mission I will be spending much longer on the next one I make, as this was merely more of an experiment rather than a full-blown mission, nonetheless thanks for doing something I haven't had much time to do myself.

It was a fun mission, thanks for doing it. I really enjoyed the weight/finance limits and the back story.

One feedback I would offer, which someone else above mentioned as well, is that making the player do unnecessary inclination or orbit changes (just for the sake of it) is annoying and I dont think good design. the mission should be open to be planned how the player wants to  - i.e. rescue X from Y. How the player wants to fly there is really up to them. Before you removed that inclination check we had to burn like another 1500 dv just for no reason :)

Other than that, good job and I look forward to playing your next mission!

I played all day. cant finish it. I'm on the mun and cant find the ignition switch. i even modified the mission so that the eva check is on the mun and not kerbin, no dice.   My first play through, i played the whole mission, got the girl and took her home. then i realized the mission was still waiting for me to achieve a particular kerbin orbit. lol. this my first time playing any mission so there is a learning curve. 2nd go at it to make it legit, i made a new craft instead of the default one that spawned and it took me forever to figure out that i had to rename my craft to make it work. i was stuck at the first engine failure. I'm new at this and seems to be a little frustrating to me. the mission builder is no different than spending half the day on a duna mission only to get there and realize you forgot to install an antenna. 

On 3/20/2018 at 4:48 AM, Crusruss said:

Reveal hidden contents

@Crusruss is totally right, that node prevents mission progress and needs to be change to:

Celestial Body = The Mun

... Val's decoupler was upside down, quickloaded, ditched the heat shield (Mk1 has a weak "intrinsic heatshield"), and put the decoupler on right, so val went home and was recovered. 

I then switched back to Bill. I had sent him up in the 2 mon pod as a contingency plan, I did collect the surface sample but I can't figure out how to get his (inadequate) engines running again...

oh, I see the other commenter hit this bug too. =\ 

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.