Rocket flipping changes

I seemed to be getting rockets to orbit without the usual fins. I wondered if some aero changes had been made to reduce flipping - the bane of many new players.

Then I did some digging and it was down to the messed up drag of various parts. 

Engines and decouplers and perhaps others parts don't give reduced drag for part size matching. So I'm getting loads of drag towards the back of rockets and its this that removed the need for fins. That explains what I was seeing but it costs a lot in drag losses.

This been reported already, right?

Edited by Foxster

On 3/17/2018 at 11:19 PM, Foxster said:

So I'm getting loads of drag towards the back of rockets

Lots of drag at the bottom of the rocket should make a rocket very stable. Rocket should be heavy at the top and draggy at the bottom. Like a dart. 

So, if engines have more drag than they should, it makes rocket more stable, not less. Unless your rockets for some reason have engines at the top... 

5 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

Lots of drag at the bottom of the rocket should make a rocket very stable. Rocket should be heavy at the top and draggy at the bottom. Like a dart. 

So, if engines have more drag than they should, it makes rocket more stable, not less. Unless your rockets for some reason have engines at the top... 

Right, that's what he was saying. Rockets which formerly required fins were making orbit without fins. Rockets were MORE stable than they should be. The reason was increased part drag on the engines due to a programming bug, which makes rockets unduly stable but also makes drag losses skyrocket.

On 3/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, Foxster said:

I seemed to be getting rockets to orbit without the usual fins. I wondered if some aero changes had been made to reduce flipping - the bane of many new players.

Then I did some digging and it was down to the messed up drag of various parts. 

Engines and decouplers and perhaps others parts don't give reduced drag for part size matching. So I'm getting loads of drag towards the back of rockets and its this that removed the need for fins. That explains what I was seeing but it costs a lot in drag losses.

This been reported already, right?

First off centre node's and now drag cube problems. "Ouch" Anyone a Squad commented about any of this? The number of bug reports are starting to look very bad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.